Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Bunyip02 said:

UB - will have to choose the best 3 for the entry stage.

Definitely.  And if you want, you can use feedback from comments here in the thread to help you make your choices.

I agree with Phil.  I like the more zoomed-in version that you posted at the end.  While your landscape was inspiring, pinups are not about the landscape.  In fact, classic pinups have barely any backdrop at all.  With so much focus on the figure, the figure has to be very good.  This is the biggest reason why I find pinups to be not all that easy to do well.  It's easy to plunk a figure in a scene, but getting that figure to sparkle is the challenge.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited October 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

PhilW - re-did so that it makes better use of the space.

Dartanbeck - thanks

Diomede - zoomed in

Headwax - thanks, but a zoom in removes the landscape feel I was initially after.

Looks Hot! She's awesome!

Just curious, is the displacement turned off on the lava? Looks flat compared to mine.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited October 2017

here is my image of a modern pin-up for the challenge, her name is Monserrat, chica gitana

a bit of color correction and chromatic aberration in post

Looks amazing, Magaremoto!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

Thanks for the suggestions, UB.  All on point, of course.  I do the two versions of hair (dynamic and converted prop), along with the volumetric passes, to make it easier to correct, as per your suggestion.  yes

Will work more on other suggestions as well.  The sporran (purse) was going to be falling off as per the woman's hat box in the Frahm original, but will give thought to your suggestion to use it to enhance the front of he kilt.

I think the problems with the expressions are in part because I used indirect lighting and the angle somehow lit up the interior of the mouths.  The man's expression is technically "surprise," but I agree that it looks wrong.  In the photoreal render, his lower teeth look like they have fangs. Will see how much of the mouth can be corrected just with the shadow pass (which I remembered to include this time!)

All great suggestions, so keep them coming.

frahm scot 1 photoreal_VolumePrimitives0.png
    1500 x 2000 - 27K
    frahm scot 1 photoreal_VolumePrimitives1.png
    1500 x 2000 - 30K

Dart - Thanks for the comments.  The hands are worse than you think!  I did grab indvidual joints and rotate them.  sad  That result was user error, me.

Misty - RE: commando, was going to have a second male figure with no boxers drooped, because the big mystery is supposed to be whether Scots wear them under the kilt.  Just felt the scene wold be too busy.

Also, please provide any constructive criticism that you may have for the B&W scotsman as well.  Have been suggested to soften the background lines and darken the figures.  Other suggestons?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    Diomede said:

Dart - Thanks for the comments.  The hands are worse than you think!  I did grab indvidual joints and rotate them.  sad  That result was user error, me.

Misty - RE: commando, was going to have a second male figure with no boxers drooped, because the big mystery is supposed to be whether Scots wear them under the kilt.  Just felt the scene wold be too busy.

I think he should have been caught wearing her frilly knickers cheeky

Thanks, Wendy.  The drawers are from Sickleyield's men's underwear product.  I can try to make them more frilly without having to render from scratch and see how it turns out.  

th3Digit said:
    Diomede said:

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,483
    edited October 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

PhilW - re-did so that it makes better use of the space.

Dartanbeck - thanks

Diomede - zoomed in

Headwax - thanks, but a zoom in removes the landscape feel I was initially after.

Looks Hot! She's awesome!

Just curious, is the displacement turned off on the lava? Looks flat compared to mine.

Amplitude was at 0.03 ft, have increased it to 0.09 ft

Bad Vicky 1c Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 900 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    th3Digit said:
    Diomede said:

i heard a saying somewhere, on a good day wearing lipstick under the kilt ?  angel

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,483
    Diomede said:

And here is a color version.  This uses the GMIC paint filter and adjusts slightly with a native Carrara Toon III render (but with line effect set to zero).  I keep changing my mind on whether to use the black and white or the color version.

EDIT

Below is a color version that composites Carrara's native NPR at 50% with the GMIC paint.  I think I like this best so far.  Need to address the white flecks, some of which are due to my NPR thickness settings, which is fine, but I think some are due to having the back of some normals visible in the woman's hair, 

Well done, like the edit version best

edited October 2017

Thank you, Bunyip.  RE: devil in lava, would not have noticed if Dart had not pointed it out, but I like the new displacement better.

Wendy and Misty - how about if I replace the boxers with a blue ribbon for 1st prize?

Click for Folk Song

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2017

Started working on my Halloween pin-up entry today and managed to get quite a bit done.

The wall, floor and sarcophagus were modeled in Carrara. The mummy wrappings were modeled in Blender. Pottery and pillar are from some old content I found in my runtime. The textures on the wall, floor, sarcophagus and wrappings are just place-holders - I plan to use the 3D paint tool to paint those. I also need to play with the eye shaders to get some reflection in them. Or maybe they will be glowing, I haven't decided yet.

Scene setup:

First full sized test render:

MummySetup01.JPG
    1874 x 982 - 256K
    MummyTest001.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 86K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thanks Dart!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Bunyip02 said:

Love this one!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    MDO2010 said:

This looks great already, I know you said you're still working on it, but hey this could be a pretty excellent entry just as it is.  Great idea too.

edited October 2017

This one may be final. I have two more ideas and not enough free time to work on them, so I think I am going to move on. I didn't do the 3D painting like I originally intended, but I did add some wall detail in post.

Final Render:

Final with Postwork:

HalloweenMummyPinupNoPost.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 301K
    HalloweenMummyPinup.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 634K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    namtar3d said:
    Hi there! Wonderful challenge! I'm working on this image of Liv Tyler as Bond Girl. I've always seen Liv Tyler as a perfect Pin Up girl (just watch her new lingerie campaign to see what i'm talking) Hope you like it. Great works everyone else!

Great concept!  Did you model the camera shutter circular opening thingie?

head wax said:

This one after Hans Bellmer - I find him sordid but he made a living pressing other people's  buttons.

Its a WIP. Bellmer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Bellmer

Yikes, that's creeptastic

Diomede said:

Below is a color version that composites Carrara's native NPR at 50% with the GMIC paint.  I think I like this best so far.  Need to address the white flecks, some of which are due to my NPR thickness settings, which is fine, but I think some are due to having the back of some normals visible in the woman's hair, 

This made me chuckle.  Also I agree that the edit version is better.

edited October 2017
    Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Looks terrific!  I was planning to use that same throne for my 'halloween' entry (assuming I get around to actually doing it) but my concept idea was very different, so hopefully it should be ok use.  Or perhaps it's similar to two women showing up to a party in the exact same dress, and they immediately have to descend into a catfight?  Hey, that' actually sparks a great idea for a cheesecake render...  laugh

Post edited by Jonstark on
    MDO2010 said:

I stand corrected, the final edit really pops and looks even better, and I like the writing/heiroglyphs on the walls and floor, really sells the scene.

Thanks Jon! Did you notice that the wall heiroglyphics are all pinup girls? laugh

Now I just need to come up with a title. It's between "Who's Your Mummy? and "That's One Poorly Wrapped Mummy!"

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

HaHa! Nice touch with the heiroglyphics!

MDO2010 said:

Thanks Jon! Did you notice that the wall heiroglyphics are all pinup girls? laugh

Now I just need to come up with a title. It's between "Who's Your Mummy? and "That's One Poorly Wrapped Mummy!"

Lol!  That's awesome, no I didn't really notice they were pinups til you pointed it out and I looked closer smiley

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited October 2017

another shot of Monserrat "bald", with more neutral lights, not satisfied with face yet, anyway very beautiful model by digital touch to work on

DB, glad to see you like my GUI, even iclone 7 copied the colors I chose, they make my carrara more trendy laugh

thanks to Diomede for the tricks on embedding images, never tried before

Doc4.jpg
    4500 x 6000 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Bravo!!  Great stuff folks... I'm a knave amongst Wizards. :)

edited October 2017

Here's where I'm at so far. 

Volleyball Girls.png
    600 x 800 - 467K
    Post edited by Jonstark on
    MDO2010 said:

This one may be final. I have two more ideas and not enough free time to work on them, so I think I am going to move on. I didn't do the 3D painting like I originally intended, but I did add some wall detail in post.

Final with Postwork:

Ha ha, very clever MDO!  At first I was annoyed when you removed the artwork from the column, but then I noticed the new details.  Terrific idea.

It does seem a bit blurry.  Is there some reason you applied a depth of field effect?

Jonstark said:

Here's where I'm at so far. 

All right, a classic pinup setting.  Jon, superb skin!