Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,817
    edited December 1969

Below are the screen dumps of LuxRender and Luxus settings in Daz Studio for my scene.

V5Super23DragonLadyHairPic01LuxRenderSettings.jpg
    526 x 1065 - 123K
    V5Super23DragonLadyHairPic01Lux1h42m414_01SpScr.jpg
    1918 x 1160 - 473K
    edited December 1969

Sometimes its fun to revisit an old image and remake it to look a bit nicer. In this case I decided to take my old superhero Sadie render and give it a makeover. I wasn't happy with the original grass, nor the sparsity of the garden so I put Merlin's new grass to work here, as well as few other props from the Infinite Gardens set. I also made some alterations to Sadie's superhero outfit.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Posted the original for comparison.

Looking good, HeraldOfFire. I like the first image best.
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2013

Artini said:
    So I have looked for the other solution and give a try Lady Dragon hair in LuxRender via Luxus interface.
    Just after couple of minutes the render beginning looking pretty good to me, so I let it continue for 1 hour 42 minutes.

And BOOM!!

Leave that baking for a lot longer and you'll really have something! As for conventional renders, it looks like those other texture packs will be the way to go.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Sometimes its fun to revisit an old image and remake it to look a bit nicer. In this case I decided to take my old superhero Sadie render and give it a makeover. I wasn't happy with the original grass, nor the sparsity of the garden so I put Merlin's new grass to work here, as well as few other props from the Infinite Gardens set. I also made some alterations to Sadie's superhero outfit.

Hmmm! Your job is more than just poses rendered.
    your renders are "creative" and imaginary.
    I can see a whole story in just a render his.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

...yes the new one looks much better. Very cute.
  • KibbyKibby Posts: 60
    edited April 2013

I am seeing a huge difference when using Luxus... it could be a script error. I'm having problem with sky2 setting.

It looks like it's a point light rather than amtosphere light. Can anyone shred a light explaining why I'm seeing a light emitting from centre of axis when you slowly slide light brightness from zero in LuxRender... in Reality 2.5, everywhere will lit up when you do that.

Can I replicate what Reality has done for my scene? I don't want "point light" solution. I want entire scene solution. Or will that be fixed in next release?

Thanks!

Post edited by Kibby on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Are you using the presets? If so, the light is created to the right of the default camera with a high vantage point. The Sky also emits light to emulate atmosphere. Remember, Luxus and Reality both use the same rendering, it's the setup which differs. Check the position of your lights and the type. Remove any unnecessary lights as well, as Luxus will attempt to convert any visible lights in your scene into Luxrender lighting, which likely won't give desirable results.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited April 2013

Its been computer hell! I sent my notebook for servicing yesterday so I am sharing my wife's notebook to surf and there were blue screens of death that kept popping up so had to reformat it.... All good now look forward to trying win 8 next week sometime.. http://bobvan.deviantart.com/art/539-363564518

DS Reality 2 Luxrender as usual

8620920072_8f4003179d_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 141K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969
    800 x 426 - 138K
    edited December 1969
    800 x 426 - 147K
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited April 2013

meh didn't like this pic enough to keep it, so nothing to see here move along.

Post edited by DireBunny on
    edited December 1969

After 16 hours 18 minutes spending in LuxRender the render reached 2790 Samples/pixel.
    I have used Luxus Area lights in the scene together with 17 Chic clothes on Victoria 5 Supermodel
    http://www.daz3d.com/17chic
    and 17 Chic Textures
    http://www.daz3d.com/17-chic-textures
    and SAV Lady Dragon hair.

V5Super23DragonLadyHairPic01Lux16h18m2_79kSp.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 385K
    edited December 1969

That's great,

If only we could get the same results in under 1 hour with 3Delight.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Thanks, Rogerbee. Let's hope that with Garibaldi or LAMH and the human hair shader
    one can get similar results with 3Delight without extremely long rendering time.

edited December 1969

Here's hoping,

We have, of course, still yet to try the texture packs for the SAV hair, one of them may work out.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...OK as I mentioned on another thread, seems my beast has met it's match...

...in the form of hair content.

Reconstructed a scene I tried years ago on my old system which used the Mentha Piperata character for A3 set in Stefan's Urban Sprawl with a couple palm trees, and lit with LDP2. Well once it got to that frizzy hair, it would crash & burn after running out of memory on all those transmaps.

The new scene uses Urban Sprawl 2 the palm trees several vehicles and is lit with Cloud9 (as LDP2 does not work in 4.5)

Based on what I have seen so far, I figured it might be slow going but still felt, maybe 25 - 35 min would do it.

Wrong.

After 1 hour & 28 minutes, the scene was pretty much complete...well...except for that hair which maybe occupied 2 - 3% of the entire viewport. There around her face, something like two dozen render buckets had yet to fill in (the process monitor showing 98% complete). Ended up cancelling the remainder of the process after another 25 min as it was going on 03:00.

So restarted today, dropped the bucket size to 8 and reduced the trace depth to 2 (default) and set if off again. So far, doesn't look like much of an improvement as all 8 processor threads are running at 99 - 100% and at 35 min in only at 15% complete. Once again, there is the same pattern of unfilled render buckets forming around her face as there was last night.

This character came out well before there ever was a 64 bit version of the Studio app or Poser so I wonder how anyone was expected to render this hair with ray tracing turned on while having only 2G of memory (TM is indicating between, 3.55 and 3.65 G being used) and maybe four CPU cores total.

• KibbyKibby Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Are you using the presets? If so, the light is created to the right of the default camera with a high vantage point. The Sky also emits light to emulate atmosphere. Remember, Luxus and Reality both use the same rendering, it's the setup which differs. Check the position of your lights and the type. Remove any unnecessary lights as well, as Luxus will attempt to convert any visible lights in your scene into Luxrender lighting, which likely won't give desirable results.

Actually, it's my fault in my part. I used a millennium environment backdrop which casts a shadow which makes scene uneven.

I'm trying to figure out how we can get light to pass thru unaffectedly. If you know how, please share that to us. :)

Thanks!

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited April 2013

Actually, it's my fault in my part. I used a millennium environment backdrop which casts a shadow which makes scene uneven.

I'm trying to figure out how we can get light to pass thru unaffectedly. If you know how, please share that to us. :)

Thanks!
    EDIT: Didn't realize you were using Luxrender. -facepalm-

Post edited by agent unawares on
    edited December 1969

...does anyone know the steps for turning off ray tracing for a selected item (like hair) in UE? The UE help files will not work as my workstation does not have a net connection.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK as I mentioned on another thread, seems my beast has met it's match...

...in the form of hair content.

Reconstructed a scene I tried years ago on my old system which used the Mentha Piperata character for A3 set in Stefan's Urban Sprawl with a couple palm trees, and lit with LDP2. Well once it got to that frizzy hair, it would crash & burn after running out of memory on all those transmaps.

The new scene uses Urban Sprawl 2 the palm trees several vehicles and is lit with Cloud9 (as LDP2 does not work in 4.5)

Based on what I have seen so far, I figured it might be slow going but still felt, maybe 25 - 35 min would do it.

Wrong.

After 1 hour & 28 minutes, the scene was pretty much complete...well...except for that hair which maybe occupied 2 - 3% of the entire viewport. There around her face, something like two dozen render buckets had yet to fill in (the process monitor showing 98% complete). Ended up cancelling the remainder of the process after another 25 min as it was going on 03:00.

So restarted today, dropped the bucket size to 8 and reduced the trace depth to 2 (default) and set if off again. So far, doesn't look like much of an improvement as all 8 processor threads are running at 99 - 100% and at 35 min in only at 15% complete. Once again, there is the same pattern of unfilled render buckets forming around her face as there was last night.

This character came out well before there ever was a 64 bit version of the Studio app or Poser so I wonder how anyone was expected to render this hair with ray tracing turned on while having only 2G of memory (TM is indicating between, 3.55 and 3.65 G being used) and maybe four CPU cores total.

Whichever artist did it may have either had an uber machine, only used Poser, or created it in another program and didn't bother testing it in the program it was meant for. It seems there is quite a lot of overcomplicated hair around, as Artini showed. There are texture packs available for the hair we were using.

...does anyone know the steps for turning off ray tracing for a selected item (like hair) in UE? The UE help files will not work as my workstation does not have a net connection.

It's not in UE where you do it, it's actually UberSurface, you select the hair and load the UberSurface shader, then you can make the necessary adjustments.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I have made a test render of Aiko5 with Mentha Piperata hair in LuxRender via Luxus interface from Daz Studio 4.5 Pro.
    Just after 7 minutes of rendering the image begin to getting better.

A5Mentha08pic01at7m47_25Sp.jpg
    750 x 970 - 355K
    A5Mentha08pic01at7m47_25SpScr.jpg
    1277 x 979 - 397K
    edited December 1969

I can't quite tell what the hair is supposed to look like at the moment.

In other news, Reality 3 for Poser has been released. It could be another 2 months before DS gets it, meanwhile Luxus steals a march!

CHEERS!

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Most hair stuff is covered Here the rendering part is close to the bottom of the page.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I can't quite tell what the hair is supposed to look like at the moment.

In other news, Reality 3 for Poser has been released. It could be another 2 months before DS gets it, meanwhile Luxus steals a march!

CHEERS!

I confess I'm slightly less excited about Reality 3 now that I've got Luxus. My main reason for wanting it originally was addressed by Luxus (Skin volumes) and I have a feeling that much like Reality 2, it won't keep up to date with the latest Luxrender additions. Looking at the previews, it seems it's still very much a top-level editor without access to all of the underlying stuff which can make the magic happen.

Still, maybe it will surprise me. I hope it does.

edited December 1969

Yeah, if I were to invest it would be in Luxus.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Most hair stuff is covered Here the rendering part is close to the bottom of the page.
    ..Thank you. I knew it had something to do with UberSurface but forgot the exact steps.

edited December 1969

...followed the instructions and 12 minutes later...

This scene idea has been on hold for nearly four years now, just couldn't do it on the old system with the memory limits.

mentha_in_the_city.jpg
    900 x 675 - 479K
    edited December 1969

Niiiice!!

I get the horrible feeling trying to do something like that with mine would probably kill it! That's one mean system you've got there.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...thank you. Always loved that character. Kind of the quintessential "flower child" (though I think she's supposed to be fey)

Used the Mentha top and the Hippie Girl jeans for Aiko3.

Beginning to find the AOA's Fog Cameras really useful for "big city" scenes.

edited December 1969

Is that what is creating the depth?

CHEERS!

This discussion has been closed.