Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...ahh the old MPC, still so bloody useful.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I know,

I kept the one I got with DS2.5!

CHEERS!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:
    Im not a huge toon manga fan if i could make my figures more real looking then dollish I would but I look at this as a story told by virtual toy sets http://bobvan.deviantart.com/art/512-362612779?q=gallery:bobvan/27853731&qo=501

This guy looks like he's singing opera!

CHEERS!

LOL no he's yelling

Thought so, that's the trouble with some expression morphs, there's no emotion behind a lot of them.

CHEERS!

I think its more like hobby level CGI

edited December 1969

Yup, that's where we're at! It is fun though!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

No doubt I am happy I was able to get Reality Lux my 1st try at it did not fair so well I wound up returning it the 1st time

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I know,

I kept the one I got with DS2.5!

CHEERS!

...got mine with 1.7.
    edited April 2013

Edit looks like it was Arpil fool joke

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

...with the new rig up and running, I'll be doing my best to keep this thread a "sticky" on page 1.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited April 2013

Just to not forget about how to use the Poser Pro 2012, two renders of Silver's Fawne for V4, dressed up in dynamic clothes
    by Nathalie and Kaleya. Also used Propschick's Pariah Dreads hair. Backgroud scene and lights from: The Alcove
    http://www.daz3d.com/the-alcove

V4PP07pic02AOibl.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 443K
    V4PP18pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 435K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Who needs fancy realism? Especially when you have toons taking over the world!

Sometimes it's nice to churn out simple stuff using presets. I tend to like to work lighting myself but for this I used the 3DU lights preset that come with jasmin. Skin is Tosca's CandyFactory textures for Hitomi and the outfit is anime nurse dress for genesis. Shapes include a bit of Mavka/S5/Julie/Hitomi and maybe even a hint of Chibi girl. rendered super fast, less than a minute.

She is mad you because you didn't take your meds! Better watch out!

@Dire Bunny Very cool renders!

Thanks (though i F'd up the wings in the second one and now it's starting to bug me that i didn't fix them )

Love the toon renders you have here .( though i have to say i love your whole DA gallery too lol.)

edited April 2013

...OK, spent part of the evening messing around with the built in UE2. First tried tweaking the light set I used but didn't like the results, so I deleted it and then started from scratch.

--One UE light as the Primary with Soft Shadows, at 40% intensity, Occlusion Samples: 512, Max trace distance of 500
    --One UE light as the Ambient with light blue "gel" (light rigger's terminology), no shadows at 15% intensity, Occlusion Samples: 512, Max trace distance of 500
    --One spotlight with a soft "straw gel" at 40% intensity with raytraced shadows and spread of 100 at 25% softness
    --Two linear point lights with ray trace shadows above the pedestal lanterns at 50% intensity w/falloff 140 start, 280 end.
    --Maximum raytrace depth set to 4
    --Render size 884 x 884

Total render time: 4 min 2 sec. Don't even think it broke a sweat as I didn't hear the CPU cooler spool up.

...uhh I thinkz I haz a real beast of a machine here.

the_kid_2.jpg
    884 x 884 - 504K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK, spent part of the evening messing around with the built in UE2. First tried tweaking the light set I used but didn't like the results, so I deleted it and then started from scratch.

--One UE light as the Primary with Soft Shadows, at 40% intensity, Occlusion Samples: 512, Max trace distance of 500
    --One UE light as the Ambient with light blue "gel" (light rigger's terminology), no shadows at 15% intensity, Occlusion Samples: 512, Max trace distance of 500
    --One spotlight with a soft "straw gel" at 40% intensity with raytraced shadows and spread of 100 at 25% softness
    --Two linear point lights with ray trace shadows above the pedestal lanterns at 50% intensity w/falloff 140 start, 280 end.
    --Render size 884 x 884

Total render time: 4 min 2 sec. Don't even think it broke a sweat as I didn't hear the CPU cooler spool up.

Looks good. and glad to hear it sounds like you have a good comp to play around with now.

Now I need to update my 7-8 year old desktop lol.

This test render i just finished useing UE took around 30 min, i wouldn't mind cutting that down

wasp_rider_jpg.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 423K
    edited December 1969

...looks really good there. Still new to the whole UE thingie. Have to figure out how to do specular lights next.

edited April 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...looks really good there. Still new to the whole UE thingie. Have to figure out how to do specular lights next.

I do those separately and even after i get my new comp i will probably continue to do it that way. give me a few and i'll post a quick look at how i set up my specular lighting it's probably a bassackward weird way i do it though that is probably easier done some other way so.....

edit. ok back. basically what i do is just use spot lights set to specular only and use various colours. (depending on what idea i have for the scene i guestimate what colours I'll need) and crank up the specular settings in/on the surface tab. then in Gimp i blend them together with the original render. probably easier just to do it in daz studio but i just like doing it this way -->

-Or i could be doing it wrong as usual and this a completely idiotic way of doing things which is way more likely-

wallpaper_X3_spec_example_jpg.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 451K
    Post edited by DireBunny on
    edited December 1969

...excellent, thanks.

edited April 2013

So using what i did in the edited post above this is what the test pic looks like after.

Probably do the same thing just adding in the spots set to spec only and the colour you want in the render itself with the other lights if you don't want to postwork it I don't know if the UE will still wash out those lights or not. I use spots cause i can direct them where i want. i tried with distant and wasn't thrilled.

This was one spot light set to spec only white pointed in front of her. One set to light blue on her right side, and a dark blue almost purple set on her left.

EDIT . btw i edited the post on the other page to include how i do things. I didn't think it was ready to hit the next page already lol.

wasp_rider_with_spec_pip_jpg.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 466K
    Post edited by DireBunny on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited April 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

UberEnvironment itself doesn't do specular highlights. You might want to consider using a specular only light or two, possibly spotlights or distant lights, to give it shine and reflectivity. As a quick example, here's a quick render. The one on the right is UE on its own, while the one on the right has the same UE light with additional specular-only light. You can set it to specular only in the light options.

I rarely ever use UberEnvironment on its own. You always get better results by coupling it with either some regular lighting or specific specular lights to pick out the detail.

Sadie_Specular.png
    1000 x 1000 - 495K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

@ Dire Bunny, Thanks!

Speaking of Specular lights and UE, the Jasmin lighting set loads 4 lights. One of which is a specular only light. Sometimes I cut the power of it down because it's too strong.

edited April 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

UberEnvironment itself doesn't do specular highlights. You might want to consider using a specular only light or two, possibly spotlights or distant lights, to give it shine and reflectivity. As a quick example, here's a quick render. The one on the right is UE on its own, while the one on the right has the same UE light with additional specular-only light. You can set it to specular only in the light options.

I rarely ever use UberEnvironment on its own. You always get better results by coupling it with either some regular lighting or specific specular lights to pick out the detail.
    ...that really does make it "pop". I'll have to give that a try tonight, especially when I giver her Merlin's Katana, to play with.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Just to not forget about how to use the Poser Pro 2012, two renders of Silver's Fawne for V4, dressed up in dynamic clothes
    by Nathalie and Kaleya. Also used Propschick's Pariah Dreads hair. Backgroud scene and lights from: The Alcove
    http://www.daz3d.com/the-alcove

Great render Artini!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

--Render size 884 x 884

Nice,

You've unleashed the beast!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

So using what i did in the edited post above this is what the test pic looks like after.

Probably do the same thing just adding in the spots set to spec only and the colour you want in the render itself with the other lights if you don't want to postwork it I don't know if the UE will still wash out those lights or not. I use spots cause i can direct them where i want. i tried with distant and wasn't thrilled.

This was one spot light set to spec only white pointed in front of her. One set to light blue on her right side, and a dark blue almost purple set on her left.

EDIT . btw i edited the post on the other page to include how i do things. I didn't think it was ready to hit the next page already lol.

Great looking render there.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Don't the Lantios sets include a specular light!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...I think they do however not sure where the shadows are set as when I tried to use them, everything within the set was fairly dark.

edited December 1969

I think that depends on which preset you use. I'll check out the Core sets when I get chance to.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I have to admit I rarely, if ever, use lighting presets. I've always been more fond of using my own lighting setup. The few exceptions are the toon lights which came with Amy and the lighting rig which comes with 3D Universes Sandy Bay. I think presets are great for getting specific results, but I feel if I take the time to learn and master my own lighting the results will inevitably be better since they'll be customized for the scene.

Lighting is also a key factor in Luxrender, which I'm still trying to master especially now that Luxus has given me easy access to all of the cool little features it supports like Cloth materials and subsurface scatter. Since there are no luxrender lighting rigs which work for all scenarios, it's something I need to learn and hone to get decent results.

And speaking of results, I wanted to try something different with Lux so I came up with the following. I was curious to see if and how I could render a realistic scene mixed with some cartoonish elements. I can't say the results are particularly good, but it's an interesting experiment. Another idea I had was to mimic the cartoon element by using a mixture of 3Delight and Lux to render the scene. I'll post the results of the latter experiment when it's done.

Fairy_Belljar.png
    1000 x 1000 - 932K
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

And speaking of results, I wanted to try something different with Lux so I came up with the following. I was curious to see if and how I could render a realistic scene mixed with some cartoonish elements. I can't say the results are particularly good, but it's an interesting experiment. Another idea I had was to mimic the cartoon element by using a mixture of 3Delight and Lux to render the scene. I'll post the results of the latter experiment when it's done.

Experimentation is good. I think the result is pleasing.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I have to admit I rarely, if ever, use lighting presets. I've always been more fond of using my own lighting setup. The few exceptions are the toon lights which came with Amy and the lighting rig which comes with 3D Universes Sandy Bay. I think presets are great for getting specific results, but I feel if I take the time to learn and master my own lighting the results will inevitably be better since they'll be customized for the scene.

Lighting is also a key factor in Luxrender, which I'm still trying to master especially now that Luxus has given me easy access to all of the cool little features it supports like Cloth materials and subsurface scatter. Since there are no luxrender lighting rigs which work for all scenarios, it's something I need to learn and hone to get decent results.

I too have dabbled in creating my own sets, but, I found that the Lantios sets gave me better results. I guess it's a case of using whatever you're comfortable with.

Very nice render by the way, it looks up to Pixar quality.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

...looks really good. Poor little Sadie Fae. Someone please let her out... ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I have to admit, this is the better version of three different attempts. The first two had no reflection on the glass jar, and in the very first one the jar was almost invisible against the background. I also had (and still have issue with) the overskirt. You'll notice parts of it look dark when there shouldn't be anything there. Removing the jar fixes that, and makes all the bits invisible that need to be, so it seems to be a Luxrender bug rather than a problem with materials.

Still, your comments have made my day. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.