Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• tikiman-3dtikiman-3d Posts: 34
    edited October 2017

This is a game changer for me. I've used VWD extensively for animations, but often get frustrated by it's touchy memory problems,
    I did a quick animation using a Gen 08 figure that I ran through Mixamo ( when mixamo worked right )  A scene like this in VWD would take a few hours. This took me 6 minutes!!!
    The other is Gen 2. The dress doesn't fit very well because this is the fbx from mixamo not a gen 2 figure so it won't autofit correctly. So far, out of the box, I think the results are great. 

[youtube]

Post edited by tikiman-3d on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    AllenArt said:

Well, it had been using my GPU at the beginning when I first installed the beta, but now it says there's an error and even rebooting won't make it work again. Something in the log about a kernel.

Laurie

That's exactly whats happening here too. Worked once and now kernel error and crash.

Actually, a reboot fixed it for me. Try that :). I'm back to speedy sims. LOL

Laurie

• AllenArt said:

Well, it had been using my GPU at the beginning when I first installed the beta, but now it says there's an error and even rebooting won't make it work again. Something in the log about a kernel.

Laurie

That's exactly whats happening here too. Worked once and now kernel error and crash.

Are you both trying a saved or new scene?

I'm using new scenes and new outfits, too.

Try the outfit in dForce Essentials and see if it is still crashing.

Yes it works with Bardot every time. It just won't work with any other cloth at all. It seems to be my card? I uninstalled and re-installed drivers but no go. Pulled the log file and the pertinent part seems to be:

2017-10-10 12:08:59.568 WARNING: general\dzmorphdeltas.cpp(308): Invalid vert count specified in DzMorphDeltas::setTargetVertexCount()
    2017-10-10 12:09:34.346 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(414): Using device: GeForce GTX 745
    2017-10-10 12:10:00.626 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 745 (Device 0).

2017-10-10 12:10:00.626 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2176): ERROR: Memory Object Allocation Failure (-4)

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited October 2017

Actually, there is a wind option. If you go to "Create", you will find a wind node there, which can be adapted. One of the test scenes that came with Beta also has wind.

And capes work great! I tried the Hooded Cape, and it worked very nicely.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

OK, please tell me there is a way for content creators to make their own cloth that will work in this engine... if no then it won't do allot of us any good as that is just another wall that prevented most of us from making stuff that could be used in the Opitex engine.  Please tell me it's going to be content creator friendly!  Thanks

If you make Star into a collision surface does it still happen?

Yeah, I tried using the "Static Surface" modifier on her and clothes still fall straight through her.

RAMWolff said:

OK, please tell me there is a way for content creators to make their own cloth that will work in this engine... if no then it won't do allot of us any good as that is just another wall that prevented most of us from making stuff that could be used in the Opitex engine.  Please tell me it's going to be content creator friendly!  Thanks

I'm using a dress I made years ago for another figure on G3F right now. All is fine :)

Laurie

RAMWolff said:

Given the fact that you can make any already existing item into dForce compatible, I don't see why not. You can apply the dForce setting, and save it with the item.

I strongly recommend this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#latest

AllenArt said:

Laurie

Yes it works with Bardot every time. It just won't work with any other cloth at all. It seems to be my card? I uninstalled and re-installed drivers but no go. Pulled the log file and the pertinent part seems to be:

2017-10-10 12:08:59.568 WARNING: general\dzmorphdeltas.cpp(308): Invalid vert count specified in DzMorphDeltas::setTargetVertexCount()
    2017-10-10 12:09:34.346 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(414): Using device: GeForce GTX 745
    2017-10-10 12:10:00.626 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 745 (Device 0).

2017-10-10 12:10:00.626 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2176): ERROR: Memory Object Allocation Failure (-4)

If you go to Advanced settings in the Sim Tab, and change there to CPU, does it still crash? I do get that error message all the time, and often, changing to CPU calcs will help.

• So, I tried opening the scenes that came with the dForce Essentials.  The scene with the sheet works.  The dForce blocking fan scene just literally crashes my DS.  I tried doing the debug to see what pops up and it is getting this error:  An unhandled win32 exeption occurred in DAZStudio.exe [2380].

I have no idea what that means and I'm using a 64 bit version of Windows 7 to test this on with an AMD FX 8350 processor.

The flag scene does nothing when I hit the simulate button so I'm not sure what it is supposed to do.

• AllenArt said:

Laurie

If the driver is up to date, then it might be a work size issue (i.e. it doesn't fit the card). Try the CPU mode as suggested. This is still beta, so work is ongoing.

• I decided to give the Flag scene a little more time.  It finally started doing something but the thing has taken 28 minutes to start draping those flags on the spheres and says it's only at 23% so far.  At least, it hasn't crashed yet.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I have vwd. What I really like about Dforce is that since you can add simulation details as part of the shader (3dl and Iray!) you can easily create and distribute 'shaders' with these characteristics

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

I haven't read through every thread about this, but does the clothing still require some kind of rigging or can it be a plain ol' obj like Poser's cloth room?

• Does the outfit have to fit the figure perfectly before the simulation? Or can we use the simulation to deal with fitting issues (I'm looking at my V4 clothing library).

• thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    Vaskania said:

I haven't read through every thread about this, but does the clothing still require some kind of rigging or can it be a plain ol' obj like Poser's cloth room?

Rigging is possible and useful, but not reqired. It is the same rigging as for conforming cloth.

TD

edited October 2017

I have vwd. What I really like about Dforce is that since you can add simulation details as part of the shader (3dl and Iray!) you can easily create and distribute 'shaders' with these characteristics

While that is in principle true, the settings depend very sytrongly on mesh density and flow (as in VWD). So shaders need to be specific for what cloth/obj they are used on. Fully generic shaders with dForce settings will likely not work as exp[ected on many things.

TD

Post edited by thd777 on

Does the outfit have to fit the figure perfectly before the simulation? Or can we use the simulation to deal with fitting issues (I'm looking at my V4 clothing library).

Perfect is not necessary, but there shouldn't be many (any) intersections with the figure. Too big is better than too small. And you can shrink things during simulation.

TD

Vaskania said:

I've just been running the objs thru the Transfer Utility...nothing special and no real settings, just quick and dirty so that the clothing follows the figure, but other than that....not much ya gotta do to it.

Laurie

• BeeMKay said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

If you go to Advanced settings in the Sim Tab, and change there to CPU, does it still crash? I do get that error message all the time, and often, changing to CPU calcs will help.

CPU crashes almost right away. :( Changed some seeting in Nvidia to performance instead of quality and it helped a little. Was able to do 2 G8 outfits, but so far anything G3 crashes with kernel error. Back to google! lol

• AllenArt said:

Laurie

If the driver is up to date, then it might be a work size issue (i.e. it doesn't fit the card). Try the CPU mode as suggested. This is still beta, so work is ongoing.

CPU crashes right away. Is a sim more intensive than Iray? I can render no problem with enviroment and character with clothes and hair and all. If more intensive that would explain it, I guess.

I think that mine crashed because a very small part of the cloth was intersecting the figure and the settings in the surface weren't quite right. I rebooted and my gfx card started working again, but I had changed some settings on the cloth too and it went off without a hitch then. It's a beta and there are still gonna be bugs. Hopefully they can get them sorted out in a timely fashion ;)

Laurie

thd777 said:

While that is in principle true, the settings depend very sytrongly on mesh density and flow (as in VWD). So shaders need to be specific for what cloth/obj they are used on. Fully generic shaders with dForce settings will likely not work as exp[ected on many things.

TD

Sure, but even adjusting and finding settings for a particular outfit and then saving them is a huge plus.

• This is exciting news!  I'm definitely curious how this compares to Poser's cloth room that I used on so many skirts and dresses, dynamic clothing or not.  Will it work with my collection of Victoria 4 Poser dynamic clothing to fit to G8?  Though being unable to pin spots around the neckline to keep gowns from sliding will be challenging.  Guess I just have to eventually get in there and see what I can make it do.  And hopefully windforce will be added to the features.  Cautiously optimistic for the moment.

Here we go...a dress I made years ago for Mankahoo's Angela figure and fitted to G3F in Poser, then exported to use in DS (the original dress was 3/4 length, so I shortened it to knee length). I had to paint a weight map on the collar and the button, but it worked well :).

Keyhole-Dress.jpg
    1328 x 1800 - 290K
    Morana said:

This is exciting news!  I'm definitely curious how this compares to Poser's cloth room that I used on so many skirts and dresses, dynamic clothing or not.  Will it work with my collection of Victoria 4 Poser dynamic clothing to fit to G8?  Though being unable to pin spots around the neckline to keep gowns from sliding will be challenging.  Guess I just have to eventually get in there and see what I can make it do.  And hopefully windforce will be added to the features.  Cautiously optimistic for the moment.

You can pin areas not to move with a weight map. Mada has a nice video on how to do it - super easy. Also, there already is wind force ;). And I've noticed so far that the stuff DS cloth doesn't like is more or less the same as what Poser cloth doesn't like...pinching between body parts or other other objects, intersecting with the figure, etc. :).

Laurie

• AllenArt said:

Laurie

CPU crashes right away. Is a sim more intensive than Iray? I can render no problem with enviroment and character with clothes and hair and all. If more intensive that would explain it, I guess.

AllenArt said:

I think that mine crashed because a very small part of the cloth was intersecting the figure and the settings in the surface weren't quite right. I rebooted and my gfx card started working again, but I had changed some settings on the cloth too and it went off without a hitch then. It's a beta and there are still gonna be bugs. Hopefully they can get them sorted out in a timely fashion ;)

Laurie

I got mine working again too to some extent. LOL It's working on small outfits that I never use! :) Just not the dresses I would usually use. LOL But yeah... for a first try beta it's still pretty cool! :)

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited October 2017

When you are getting consistent mesh explosions no matter what you do check for unused vertices: select the garment then in Geometry Editor mode right click in viewport and select "Remove Unused Vertices"  if there are unused vertices it will tell you how many there are.  Unused vertices will cause a crash/mesh explosion every time.  Please note that if you go ahead and remove those vertices the morphs on that garment will be broken.

Belle Dress currently has this issue and I am in the process of fixing it, but it will take some time for the product to be updated.  You may have noticed in DIM recently there were updates to some of my store products, those were done to fix exactly this issue so if you are using one of my sets and getting explosions check for DIM updates on it.

Post edited by Aave Nainen on

If you want buttons or whatnot to move along without melting, assuming they are properly attached, is there an easy setting to keep them solid?

• AllenArt said:
    Morana said:

This is exciting news!  I'm definitely curious how this compares to Poser's cloth room that I used on so many skirts and dresses, dynamic clothing or not.  Will it work with my collection of Victoria 4 Poser dynamic clothing to fit to G8?  Though being unable to pin spots around the neckline to keep gowns from sliding will be challenging.  Guess I just have to eventually get in there and see what I can make it do.  And hopefully windforce will be added to the features.  Cautiously optimistic for the moment.

You can pin areas not to move with a weight map. Mada has a nice video on how to do it - super easy. Also, there already is wind force ;). And I've noticed so far that the stuff DS cloth doesn't like is more or less the same as what Poser cloth doesn't like...pinching between body parts or other other objects, intersecting with the figure, etc. :).

Laurie

Thanks for that!  Guess I missed a few things reading 8 pages in a row. lol

• If you want buttons or whatnot to move along without melting, assuming they are properly attached, is there an easy setting to keep them solid?

This. I also want to know this. For future reference.