Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

A bit of an unorthodox use of Garibaldi, I suppose, I am using to give my dragon some fur :D I only have the Subdragon LE, and the texture that comes with it is low resolution and was driving me mad. So I decided to give my dragon some fur, and it's so much fun to tweak the hair, looking for the nicest furry-dragon... :D

Cute dog, What breed is that?

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...thank you for the explanation.

So if say I want to import the character onto Carrara, I would need to then re rig the hair in that application or if I have it styled the way I want in 4.5, it will render OK in Carrara or Bryce (save for having to adjust the materials).

I take it it also can be rigged in Blender or Poser Pro as well?

...in any case, in the cart it goes.

To use the hair in another application it has to be exported from Garibaldi as an .obj. Keep in mind that the .obj will be untextured and probably very large.

Look a bit further up the page and you will see some of the discussion that has gone on about rigging. The .obj can be rigged in any application that can do rigging. Hair exported from Garibaldi and rigged will be very similar to fiber mesh hair you can buy in the store with the same type of functionality.

If you don't want to rig the hair, you can always pose and style the hair in Garibaldi then export that for use in another app. You would have to make sure to set up the scene in that app with the character posed the same way it was in Garibaldi and the hair would be no different than any other static object like a chair or sword.

edited March 2013

Ok, I'm having a heck of a time with the hair making. Are there any good Step by Step tutorial's out there for a good thick head of hair, something along the lines of what Gone posted just above (in #326)? I need a tutorial that goes into details like:

How much of the head and face do I need to paint?
    How high should I set the different variables for # of strands, length of strands, density of strands, etc...

I am trying to make a unique hairstyle that I once accidentally did to my ex-wife (we were still married then and it turned out to be such a hit at work, that her friends wanted me to do their hair)
    I am having difficulty getting the short hairs on the right temple to not interfere with the medium length for the rest of the top, and also, the medium length top has to give way to a shoulder length back. And no matter what I try, the renders always take close to an hour, and more often than not, crash DAZ. (yeah, bad memory, but she's old (my pc)).

I think I'm trying to make too much hair, but I don't want it small and thin. The tutorials I have followed so far, don't cover many of the options, they just point out that they are there, and I don't know when or how to make use of them, or if I should even try.

Can someone help?

Post edited by static on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

...again, thank you.

Planning to use Carrara for some of the finished scenes as I have a couple of Howie Farkes' sets that would work beautifully.

edited March 2013

* this was a mistaken click, can someone delete this?

Post edited by static on
    edited December 1969

Ok, I'm having a heck of a time with the hair making. Are there any good Step by Step tutorial's out there for a good thick head of hair, something along the lines of what Gone posted just above (in #326)? I need a tutorial that goes into details like:

How high should I set the different variables for # of strands, length of strands, density of strands, etc...

I am trying to make a unique hairstyle that I once accidentally did to my ex-wife (we were still married then and it turned out to be such a hit at work, that her friends wanted me to do their hair)
    I am having difficulty getting the short hairs on the right temple to not interfere with the medium length for the rest of the top, and also, the medium length top has to give way to a shoulder length back. And no matter what I try, the renders always take close to an hour, and more often than not, crash DAZ. (yeah, bad memory, but she's old (my pc)).

I think I'm trying to make too much hair, but I don't want it small and thin. The tutorials I have followed so far, don't cover many of the options, they just point out that they are there, and I don't know when or how to make use of them, or if I should even try.

Can someone help?

It would be pretty tough to make a step by step generic tutorial since there are so many ways to work and everything depends on what style you want to end up with.

Here are a couple of styles I did a few months ago that sound like they might be similar to what you have in mind. The punked hair used 3 hair nodes while the half hair was done with just one hair node. The asymmetric style you referenced had the distribution amount set to 150 but all 3 hair nodes in the punked hair had the amount set to 250 - each. It all depends on what looks good to you.

As far as painting goes, you only paint the areas you need to grow hair from. Barring baldness and weird hair styles, most people will have hair covering pretty much the same areas of the head so you can make a generic paint map and reuse it for each new hair style. A simple example would be to look at the hair on the default M4 texture then paint a map that covers the same part of the head that the M4 hair covers and work from there.

I generally leave the root/tip widths at default. The hair colour is set with the root/tip colours and can be controlled by a texture map if you have one you want to use. You will probably want to set the min/max for the salt and pepper much lower. I find that values of 0.02/0.150 in both tend to give good results - but it all depends on what look you are going for.

In the style pane, you can use the selection tool to select part of the hair so that the other tools will be applied only to the selected hairs. These selections can be saved so you can reselect from your save list. Autopart will help to control interference between different lengths/ combing directions but you would need to use seperate hair nodes to completely isolate any interference.

Like all rendering, how long it takes depends on how fast your machine is and what type of lighting you use. In my case, I have an older quad core and I usually use a UE2 lighting setup with fairly hight render settings so pretty much every render I've posted here takes about 1.5 hours.

Hopefully, I haven't confused you too much. There's a lot of good information in this thread as well as in the beta thread linked to in the first post.

Like all new tools, it takes time and practice.

HalfHair.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 353K
    Punked.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 247K
    edited December 1969

Ok, thanks, that gives me a few things to check and play with.
    I have a couple more questions though, if you don't mind, some about the information and some based on the styles you have shown here.

Gone said:

Here are a couple of styles I did a few months ago that sound like they might be similar to what you have in mind. The punked hair used 3 hair nodes while the half hair was done with just one hair node. The asymmetric style you referenced had the distribution amount set to 150 but all 3 hair nodes in the punked hair had the amount set to 250 - each. It all depends on what looks good to you.

The Half hair is really close to what I need to do, but how did you get the short side that short? If I try to trim off anything below about 1/2 inch, the hair just disappears. What setting do I need to tweak to get it down to "butch" and keep the hair on the head?

I generally leave the root/tip widths at default. The hair colour is set with the root/tip colours and can be controlled by a texture map if you have one you want to use. You will probably want to set the min/max for the salt and pepper much lower. I find that values of 0.02/0.150 in both tend to give good results - but it all depends on what look you are going for.

Ok, this was one I noticed and was going to ask about - the salt and pepper settings... what exactly does that do? I was guessing that it would be for mid-life to elderly styles where grey hairs would come into play...or do I need to admit I'm a rookie newb at this?

In the style pane, you can use the selection tool to select part of the hair so that the other tools will be applied only to the selected hairs. These selections can be saved so you can reselect from your save list. Autopart will help to control interference between different lengths/ combing directions but you would need to use seperate hair nodes to completely isolate any interference.

This may be a no-brainer, but I don't have the D|S up and running just now. I don't recall a save setting...where should I find that?

Like all rendering, how long it takes depends on how fast your machine is and what type of lighting you use. In my case, I have an older quad core and I usually use a UE2 lighting setup with fairly hight render settings so pretty much every render I've posted here takes about 1.5 hours.

Yep, I'm running a Centrino 2 dual core, so I know slow. :red:

I will run through more of this thread and see what I can glean from it as well. I tend to get lost trying to search forums for some reason, but if I know, or find out, which thread to go to, that makes it easier for me. I have been playing with pc's since the late 70's, but my son can get forum searches so quick it makes me think I don't know what a computer is at all. :lol:

Thank you for the help!

edited December 1969

Ok, thanks, that gives me a few things to check and play with.
    I have a couple more questions though, if you don't mind, some about the information and some based on the styles you have shown here.

Gone said:

The Half hair is really close to what I need to do, but how did you get the short side that short? If I try to trim off anything below about 1/2 inch, the hair just disappears. What setting do I need to tweak to get it down to "butch" and keep the hair on the head?

Ok, this was one I noticed and was going to ask about - the salt and pepper settings... what exactly does that do? I was guessing that it would be for mid-life to elderly styles where grey hairs would come into play...or do I need to admit I'm a rookie newb at this?

This may be a no-brainer, but I don't have the D|S up and running just now. I don't recall a save setting...where should I find that?

Yep, I'm running a Centrino 2 dual core, so I know slow. :red:

I will run through more of this thread and see what I can glean from it as well. I tend to get lost trying to search forums for some reason, but if I know, or find out, which thread to go to, that makes it easier for me. I have been playing with pc's since the late 70's, but my son can get forum searches so quick it makes me think I don't know what a computer is at all. :lol:

Thank you for the help!

Quick answers:

Halfhair - don't use the scissors!!!! First icon, second row (looks like hands of a clock) is the scale tool. Use it to lengthen/shorten the guide hairs. Don't worry if you hit the limit and haven't reached the length you want - you can keep grabbing and moving or just type a value into the number box. You don't need big numbers.

With this hair, I selected the guides for half the head then used the scale tool to shorten. At the bottom of the panel are a bunch of "show" check boxes. Check "show hair" and it will show you the generated hairs so you can get a better idea of what it will look like.

Salt and pepper - just what they sound like. They randomly add white/black hairs within the range you provide. It helps to give the hair more texture and "depth" if you don't go overboard with it..

Selection list - hit the + button to open. "New" will let you name the selected group of hairs and place it in the list. Any time you want to work with that set of hairs you just select it from the list. Be warned, you can have guide hairs selected in multiple named groups so be careful about your selections before naming.

As with so many things, there are other ways to do much the same thing. Look back a couple of pages and you will see a selection method I described using control maps.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Quick answers:

Halfhair - don't use the scissors!!!! First icon, second row (looks like hands of a clock) is the scale tool. Use it to lengthen/shorten the guide hairs. Don't worry if you hit the limit and haven't reached the length you want - you can keep grabbing and moving or just type a value into the number box. You don't need big numbers.

With this hair, I selected the guides for half the head then used the scale tool to shorten. At the bottom of the panel are a bunch of "show" check boxes. Check "show hair" and it will show you the generated hairs so you can get a better idea of what it will look like.

Salt and pepper - just what they sound like. They randomly add white/black hairs within the range you provide. It helps to give the hair more texture and "depth" if you don't go overboard with it..

Selection list - hit the + button to open. "New" will let you name the selected group of hairs and place it in the list. Any time you want to work with that set of hairs you just select it from the list. Be warned, you can have guide hairs selected in multiple named groups so be careful about your selections before naming.

As with so many things, there are other ways to do much the same thing. Look back a couple of pages and you will see a selection method I described using control maps.

Too cool! I got a lot to ponder and try out. Thanks for the help!

• theSeatheSea Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

As far as reasonable settings for some of the variables, I've found that downloading futurebiscuit's presets from the website and taking those apart to see how he did them was very helpful.

For painting the hairline, some of the the default textures come with painted on hairlines. Resizing those to 1024x1024 and painting over them, then importing into Garabaldi was a good starting place.

• KibbyKibby Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Have anyone tried to give fur to BunnyGirl or CatGirl (either for Genesis)? I've made one and am not satisfied... Still tweaking until perfect.

edited March 2013

My draft. Far from perfection.

Edit: Added image, finalized fur revision.

Screen_Shot_2013-03-27_at_3.26_.15_AM_.jpg
    1022 x 710 - 207K
    BunnyGirlGaribaldiFur.jpg
    1483 x 1036 - 368K
    Post edited by Kibby on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

...oooh, fuzzy bunny girl.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

My Experiments so far, having so much fun with this plugin!

experiments.jpg
    1464 x 985 - 376K
    edited December 1969

My Experiments so far, having so much fun with this plugin!

I noticed your renders. Looks like I'm not alone. I'm struggling with some strange hair spike. I can't seem to make that disappearing..

I spent 5 hours combing...

edited March 2013

Kerya said:

Thanks, Kerya, going to try your advice.

Edith: yeah, I can see an improvement!!

aaa11.jpg
    1194 x 1054 - 370K
    Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

As a part of the on going support to 'Garibaldi Express' customers, todays update presents:

Garibaldi Express version 1.1 beta.
    http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/beta

(Hopefully something for most people in there).

1_1ForumBanner01.jpg
    637 x 119 - 32K
    Post edited by futurebiscuit on
    edited December 1969

As a part of the on going support to 'Garibaldi Express' customers, todays update presents:

Garibaldi Express version 1.1 beta.
    http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/beta

(Hopefully something for most people in there).

Can I ask what's new? Thx! :-)

• edited December 1969

I bought this plugin just a few days ago but I'm having a problem using it.

When I enter the paint workspace, and try to paint on my selected surfaces (face/head), the paint makes a bunch of random shapes. The paint looks like a Rorschach test (see attached).

I looked through this thread, as well as the 70+ pages of the beta thread, but found very little discussion by anyone else with this problem. Only one person seemed to mention it in the beta thread, but the conclusion reached seemed to be it was happening on a Genesis who had multiple UVs being used, and that was then fixed in the next beta.

I'm having this problem on plain old un-textured Genesis, though (as well as any textured/morphed variations I try). I just updated my Daz after buying the plugin, as well as the starter content. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

garibaldi.jpg
    629 x 415 - 81K
  • edited December 1969

I sure wish you'd make a version that works with daz 4.0. I bought it, and love it, but Daz 4.5 has so many bugs, I'm thinking about going back to 4.0 and rendering in Cinema 4d using Cinema 4d hair.

Its a pity, its a great plug in. Pleas give a thought to releasing a version that works with Daz 4.0

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,810
    edited December 1969

shawnlau said:
    I sure wish you'd make a version that works with daz 4.0. I bought it, and love it, but Daz 4.5 has so many bugs, I'm thinking about going back to 4.0 and rendering in Cinema 4d using Cinema 4d hair.

Its a pity, its a great plug in. Pleas give a thought to releasing a version that works with Daz 4.0

Which version of 4.5 are you using, and what bugs? In general 4.5 seems to have worked pretty well, once content is updated to deal with the Duplicate IDs issue.

edited December 1969

Alixir said:
    I bought this plugin just a few days ago but I'm having a problem using it.

When I enter the paint workspace, and try to paint on my selected surfaces (face/head), the paint makes a bunch of random shapes. The paint looks like a Rorschach test (see attached).

I looked through this thread, as well as the 70+ pages of the beta thread, but found very little discussion by anyone else with this problem. Only one person seemed to mention it in the beta thread, but the conclusion reached seemed to be it was happening on a Genesis who had multiple UVs being used, and that was then fixed in the next beta.

I'm having this problem on plain old un-textured Genesis, though (as well as any textured/morphed variations I try). I just updated my Daz after buying the plugin, as well as the starter content. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

As you have already pointed out, the only time I have seen this problem is with bad UV's.

The image you supplied is small so it's hard to see what settings you have in the tool pane but I notice you have "Global Settings" selected instead of "Workspace Settings". While it seems unlikely, perhaps there is a problem with the settings.

The only other thing I can think of is there may be an issue with your graphics card.

edited December 1969

another uses, grass and fur, btw, is there a Copy&Paste; option for the other boot?
    I know that I must use/create another Garibaldi create node on the "unfurred"[such word exists?] boot but...kinda lazy write parameters on wordpad for manually clone settings.

Render_5.jpg
    1064 x 1065 - 774K
  • edited December 1969

shawnlau said:

Which version of 4.5 are you using, and what bugs? In general 4.5 seems to have worked pretty well, once content is updated to deal with the Duplicate IDs issue.

Here's a link to the thread I started on the problem. It might seem trivial, but its huge to me as I've created much content with the figure transfer utility :

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19532/

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I've always avoided using hats in apps like Daz Studio and Poser for the simple fact that hair generally doesn't work well with it. While that's fine if the star of your show happens to be male, or a particularly punky female, in general it can look a little odd. This is where Garibaldi comes in. No more worrying about how it will look, I can model the hair around the hat so that it looks fine with no visible poke through.

My most recent work uses Merlin's Infinite Gardens, but here's a closeup of the little girl in question complete with blonde hair and bonnet. I'm still fairly amateur at this but little by little I'm increasing my comfort zone.

Garden_Girl_Portrait.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 599K
  • none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

I've exported the demo hair as an obj, then re imported the obj, as I'm trying to get a hair render using the Luxus render plugin. Trouble is the obj hair looks very course.

Anyone know of a way to export thinner stranded obj hair.
    Ive not added any hair colour or texture as yet, or used proper luxrender lighting for that matter.

Using Garibaldi V1.0 (love the plugin) Wish my efforts looked better than the cross bred offspring of a toilet brush and birds nest.

and sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked before. Not looked through all the previous pages as yet.

hair-obj-001.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,810
    edited December 1969

shawnlau said:
    shawnlau said:

Here's a link to the thread I started on the problem. It might seem trivial, but its huge to me as I've created much content with the figure transfer utility :

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19532/

I see, yes saving assets in a scene - rather than using File>Save as>Support Asset>Moprh Asset fro genesis, or using the ExP Exporter for older figures, does seem to be a problem on some systems.

• edited December 1969

I've exported the demo hair as an obj, then re imported the obj, as I'm trying to get a hair render using the Luxus render plugin. Trouble is the obj hair looks very course.

Ive not added any hair colour or texture as yet, or used proper luxrender lighting for that matter.

Using Garibaldi V1.0 (love the plugin) Wish my efforts looked better than the cross bred offspring of a toilet brush and birds nest.

and sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked before. Not looked through all the previous pages as yet.

In the tweek tab, there is a slider that lets you determine how many hairs to show. It goes from 0-100%. The higher the percentage, the more hairs and the the finer the hairs with be when they are exported. Be careful. If you set it to 100% you will have a huge object file that will probably take about 10 minutes to write. 30% should be fine for most cases. You might also want to experiment with checking "show hair widths" though I don't think this matters and only the percentage you show matters.

Here's a tip. When you have your hair object exported, set the diffuse color to the hair color you want, then take the transparency down to about 25 - 30%. The polygon hair looks even more like hair!

Play with it. I've had very good luck with getting some very decent looking polygon hair exported. The size is going to be between 45 -150mb to get anything decent looking.

• edited December 1969

Here's some quick hair I did. The Top Left is the Garibaldi hair rendered with uber Environment2 using the soft box. The setting in Garibaldi are : distribution 500, base 0.005, tip 0.004 Under the Tweak tab, for the export, under preview settings ( this controls the object export) I have show hairs checked and amount set to 15%. This produces the polygon hair object which is about 108 MB.

The top right shows the polygon hair with its diffuse color set to brown and rendered with uberEnvironment2.
    The bottom left shows that same polygon hair, same brown color, with the transparency set to 25% and rendered with uberEnvironment2.
    The bottom right is the same polygon hair with the diffuse color set to a blondish ( a bit too green) color and the transparency set to 15%

You can see by dropping the transparency of the exported polygon hair, it make it look more real and rivals the render of the actual Garibaldi hair.

4Renders.jpg
    888 x 948 - 105K