Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Ah, thanks for the advice.  I think I'm OK, because I have not bought any non-Daz characters earlier than G8. 

Computers in our family are an investment. We also hold onto them for a long time.  Mine was 9 years old when it died.  So we buy the most powerful we can afford.  I'm jealous of my husband's new PC with the 1080ti video card. 

• Thanks a lot for the script. It works fantastic.

I had so many problems with the conventional way (distortions on teeth, hands, etc.).
    ​But the script works fine.
    ​So I had found out a way to transfer my own G2F's to G8F without any loss.

Banetha G8F G2F.jpg
    3000 x 1800 - 2M

​Is there a way to transfer morphs between G8F and G8M?

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited September 2017

Yes.

Because they have clone shapes of each other, you can dial those in and use Redz's tutorial.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • pedrofurtado21pedrofurtado21 Posts: 11
    edited September 2017

So I tried to convert my favorite g3 character that I have made by Myself, But I feel like the g8 got way smoother them my original character, She lost her strong features, now is all smooth and Undefined, for example, her lips were quite plumpy, now they are flat, I also had to correct her eyes and teeth, but do you guys know how to solve these problems ?

First Genesis 8 second Genesis 3

(Please limit width to 800 pixels. ~Mod)

Post edited by pedrofurtado21 on
  • She looks great to me. I really wouldn't have noticed the differences if you hadn't pointed them out.

• Results will vary depending on he method you used.

Also, HD morphs cannot be transfered between figures by the general public.

Yes.

Because they have clone shapes of each other, you can dial those in and use Redz's tutorial.

Great!  I haven't used that yet.  Where can I find the clone?

• In the properties panel, type the name of the figure in the other figure on the filter bar. Make sure All is selected on the left.

Bear in mind, this is going to be subject to all the limitations turned up in the first 19 or so pages of this thread. These clones weren't meant to do this kind of thing. But it's the best option you'll have, as far as I know.

In the properties panel, type the name of the figure in the other figure on the filter bar. Make sure All is selected on the left.

Bear in mind, this is going to be subject to all the limitations turned up in the first 19 or so pages of this thread. These clones weren't meant to do this kind of thing. But it's the best option you'll have, as far as I know.

Yeah, I see what you mean by the limitations.  Thanks for the info.

edited September 2017

Nuts.  I did something wrong when transferring some fingernail morphs from G3 to G8.

I did favorite one at a time, but I had the morph active to 100%.  So while the morph is present for G8, it does nothing when I dial it to 100%.

I recall you said I had to hunt down the morphs to delete them.  I found one of them which had an icon, but not the others (that did not have icons). 

\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs\mousso\Misc    Mousso Nails.dsf

Any suggestions where I can find other morphs? 

- OR -

If I did the morph transfer again, would it overwrite my previous one?

EDITED TO ADD:  Since my GenX2 morphs all transferred at once, I am wondering if I add additional GenX2 morphs and try to transfer them, that they will conflict/overwrite the ones I already have.  Any thoughts?

Post edited by dracorn on
  • The G8 script currently doesn't support fringernail morphs for Females.  The geometry for that is is tricky and tedious to work out.

Initially, I did not think it could be done. Later, I changed my mind to maybe. When creating the male script, I decided to see if it was possible, and was surprised when it turned out to work. 

Eventually, I will update the female script, but I haven't had much time lately, so fingernails are still not an option there for the foreseeable future.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you.

So how do I remove the morphs that aren't working?  Or rather, any idea where I can find morphs that don't have pictures?

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited September 2017

They'll be in the same folder they are in Genesis 3. Beyond that, no.

The script was born out of my coming up with a method that was, frankly, dangerous and messy. What the script does is automate that method so, at the very least, none of the content it is copying will be destroyed (that said, it remains less than save for the figure it is copying to. There's a reason the script post has big warning on it).

One of the things it does is find the morph so you don't have to. As I noted to someone else, if you expand the history button on the progress bar (any daz progress bar will do) the script will tell you where it is working. Also, some of the diagnostic print statements dump to the Daz log file, so the location might be in there.

But because there are masses of vendors and masses of different ways they can and have stored their files, I can't really hint at where you might go to look for them. All I can say is the path will be just like it was for G3, except G8.

Post edited by Singular Blues on

THanks!  I will look there.

Hey Redz ​-

Would it be possible to use a female clone to transfer a morph to a male figure?

• Panic CodePanic Code Posts: 40
    edited September 2017
    Ran across an issue where I transfered a G3F character to G8F and everything went pretty smoothly, however, her thumbs bend wrong. Rather than bending straight up and down they bend at a 90 degree angle outward at the knuckle closest to the nail. I don't have any screenshots at the moment. I removed all scaling and zeroed out any morph related to the hands. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in this thread but has anybody ran across this issue? Edit: Upon further review my G2F character was initially transfered to G3F using Sickleyield's method of transferring morphs. I checked to see if the morphs affected G3F also . . . they did. I think if I first transfer all G2F morphs using GENX2 I might be able to fix the issue.
    Post edited by Panic Code on
  • WoolaWoola Posts: 27
    edited September 2017

Does anyone have a tutorial for transfering morphs between G8F and G8M and vice versa? If so can you link to it for me? Thanks :) Was trying to go off Redz tutorial but since it starts off with a G3F as base, wasn't sure where to go with it.

Post edited by Woola on
  • WoolaWoola Posts: 27

Just tried transfering morphs between G8M and G8F using Redz tutorial and it didn't work, came up with "Warning: Geometry did not match, failed to create morph."

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    dracorn said:

Hey Redz ​-

Would it be possible to use a female clone to transfer a morph to a male figure?

Hi Dracorn, are you looking to transfer a G8F to a G8M morph? If you own the UV swap product then that can be done quite effectively using the transfer utility and the UV space and favourited morphs options, but it does involve a number of steps and I'm not sure that it's worth the effort honestly.

• Redz said:
    dracorn said:

Hey Redz ​-

Hi Dracorn, are you looking to transfer a G8F to a G8M morph? If you own the UV swap product then that can be done quite effectively using the transfer utility and the UV space and favourited morphs options, but it does involve a number of steps and I'm not sure that it's worth the effort honestly.

I'm interested in this also. What is UV space?

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

It's an option in the Tranfer Utility that allows you to transfer morphs between two figures that share the same UV.

So if you have UV Swap, you load a G8M and a G8F. Apply the Base Male UV to G8F in the surfaces tab. Favourite the morph(s) that you wish to transfer, then in the drop-down menu of the scene tab choose Assets - Transfer Ulility and use the settings in the attached picture.

The morphs should transfer to G8M or vice versa.

The  morphs will not have limits applied and the bone rigging will not be adjusted to shape, so you'd need to do this manually and save the morph assets. Additionally, if it's a character morph, you will also likely need to dial in the G8F/G8M clone from the hidden parameters. JCMs etc will not transfer over either, which is why the method is somewhat limited for characters.

TU_UV.png
    473 x 636 - 36K
  • NICE! I have a couple facial morphs I'd like to move across the sexes and this seems really promising for that.
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Is it possible for someone to update a post at the head of this thread so that those who have not followed all 30+ pages have a summary of the latest options for doing all that has been discussed here:

- Transferring morphs (GenX equivalent, or near), older generations to G8. I have plenty of dialled-in G3 characters, from toddlers to grannies, that I might want applied to a G8 base.

- Creating clones and when and how to use them.

- Using poses between generations.

- Fitting clothing G8 to G3 and older and vice versa if necessary. I am under the impression that G3 clothes autofit to G8 by default but am not sure (as I have not used G8 at all yet). But it would be nice to know that those who continue to use G3 can buy G8 clothing and make it fit.

• Awesome idea. You should write a summary so someone can post it.
    Awesome idea. You should write a summary so someone can post it.

I wouldn't have a clue but, ok, ignore the request if it is unreasonable.

• marble said:
    Awesome idea. You should write a summary so someone can post it.

I wouldn't have a clue but, ok, ignore the request if it is unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable, it's just someone asking for a summary tends to be the most likely person to go through a thread.

I've been through the thread but I'm still a bit lost as to what I should use and why - which is why I asked. I thought it might benefit those who need a quick answer too.

Redz said:
    dracorn said:

Hey Redz ​-

I knew I should've picked up that UV swap...

Thanks Redz!

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 897
    edited September 2017

Okay, so I've been using Singular Blues' script and it's been working wonderfully. However, I was forced to force quit Studio when a huge storm came through the other day and it was working on a morph that it had been thinking about for quite a while. I hated to do it, since there's that big warning in the instructions and I knew bad things could happen, but I couldn't leave the computer running because big storms tend to play havoc with our power lines. I'd rather mess up a program and work to fix it than fry my computer and be out a couple thousand dollars. However, now all my G3F figures show up as dials in the parameters pane for G8F and the expressions dials do crazy things to the faces, like smiles dragging the lips downward and distorting things. Any advice on how to go about straightening out the mess I made? 

Post edited by Quixotry on