Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited March 2013

...well it is a bit older as I had to purchase the components when I could afford them (for example, I now could get 24G of memory for just a bit more than what I paid to get 12 - Of course that would mean having to upgrade to Win7 Pro (about another 100$+) as Premium only supports up to 16G.

However , considering what I have been struggling with all these years, it is a significant step up and I'm still very pleased.

The one nice thing about DIY is NO BLOATWARE or "hidden" stuff that competes for processor/memory resources. I open up Task manager and the list of running processes is doesn't even take up half the window in that tab (compared to three "pages" on my notebook).

With the memory in Tri-Channel configuration it will mean faster render processing as the pipeline between the CPU and memory is like a six lane superhighway compared to the two lane "country road" on my old notebook.

My intent was to build a lean mean rendering machine. I think I succeeded.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • madisonx_c5746f56a5madisonx_c5746f56a5 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

on a side note, that render with lantios looks amazing. its the kind of "soft" look im trying to figure out how to make.

Thanks. Trial and error for me, with lots of help here on the forums. I am very far from having a solid grasp of anything.

I like your render - there is, of course, no one 'right' style or anything. If it works, it works, and I think this one works!

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited March 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well it is a bit older as I had to purchase the components when I could afford them (for example, I now could get 24G of memory for just a bit more than what I paid to get 12 - Of course that would mean having to upgrade to Win7 Pro (about another 100$+) as Premium only supports up to 16G.

However , considering what I have been struggling with all these years, it is a significant step up and I'm still very pleased.

The one nice thing about DIY is NO BLOATWARE or "hidden" stuff that competes for processor/memory resources. I open up Task manager and the list of running processes is doesn't even take up half the window in that tab (compared to three "pages" on my notebook).

My intent was to build a lean mean rendering machine. I think I succeeded.

Cool, 12G is twice what I have!

Yeah, I hear you about bloatware, that was the only upside to this machine being over a year old when I got it, the warranty ran out quick so I could take it all off.

As you don't have a net connection on it you shouldn't have to worry about an Anti Virus program either.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...just an FYI

As I have been laid off form my job (of nearly 18 years tenure - long story Details in ma DA Journal) I now have a lot of time on my hands. Currently installing everything on the new workstation and setting up the runtimes. The process is going surprisingly smoothly (even though I'm doing it the old fashioned way, one file at a time) as this rig is really really fast. Getting my activation code for Reality 2.5 as I have to register offline since the workstation has no net access (on purpose).

Need to go out and get a 16 or 32 GB flash drive which would help speed up the process a bit more.

man that sucks chummer . first some corp slot starts laying off then you do a few runs on the side to make a few ¥ ta get by, and then teh next thing ya know Lone star is at your door and drek really hits the fan.(or if your lucks really run out looking at the business end of a chromed Gillette's paper cutter)

edited December 1969

...actually I do have it installed but only turn it on for certain operations.

...such as when I need to plug in the USB modem to register new software online or directly (some apps don't have offline registration) or DL/install the latest Flash player so the PP2012 library system will run properly (for some odd reason this needs to be a direct DL/Install using IE, it won't work from a flash drive, nor with FF which has better security).

The cool thing is I can be online or doing postwork on the notebook while rendering without interfering with the process (and I now have a second notebook primarily for writing and net surfing so that helps the workflow even more).

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

I have been comparing ways of simulating ambient light in 3Delight renders. I thought I would share some comparison renders I did for an outdoor test scene. This is very simple scene, a model and a sky dome. The lighting for the images are:

No Ambient - One distant light, intensity 100%, Color 255, 246, 234, Raytraced Shadows, 1% softness, Render time: 3 m 51 s

UE2 - Distant light as above but intensity 50%, UE2 intensity 50%, color same, Occlusion w/Directional Shadows, HDR KHPark preset rotated to align with distant light, 3Hi quality preset. Render time 6 m 40 s

Distant Lights - One distant light as in No Ambient, but intensity 70%, 6 distant lights to add ambient, intensity 20%, color same, diffuse only, no shadows, Xrot -10, YRot of 0, 45, 90, 180, -90, -45. Render Time: 3 m 53 s

Ring of Light - One distant light as in No Ambient, but intensity 70%. Ring of Light (no sky, just the light), Ambient 3.0 preset, Sky 03 Light preset (color 255, 255, 208), Quality 3 preset. IMPORTANT NOTE: You have to turn the opacity of the ROL to 0% in the surface tab, otherwise the ROL blocks the distant light and you get only ambient light. You can do this for the whole ROL at once, don't have to do it for each of the 36 sections. Render Time: 1 h 17 m

UE2 Soft - same as UE2, but used Occlusion w/soft shadows. Render time: 6 m 48 s.

UE2 Ambient - same as UE2 but used Ambient mode. Render time: 3 m 58 s

Luxus - LuxRender via Luxus. One distant light translated to sky2. Only material setting was glass for the eyes. Render time: around 9 h, 5k s/p. Note: there are problems with materials. I'm a newbie with LuxRender. LuxRender gave errors about the tif files for the eyes, which is why she has demon eyes. I think Luxus is lowering the resolution of all the textures by default. Translation of skin textures/shader seems weird. The DAZ skin material uses UberSurface and includes subsurface scattering. The way Luxus translated that makes the skin look strange to me.

I have posed the model looking directly into the sun. As photographers know, you should never do this. The dynamic range of a camera is not as wide as the human eye. Pictures posed like this come out badly unless you use fill flash. However, I'm not trying to render an image that would look like a photo, and the human eye has wider dynamic range than cameras do.

The no ambient image shows the harsh shadows you get with just a distant light. I'm guessing the Luxus image shows how much ambient scattered light you would really get, but I don't like the look of this image because of the material issues.

I have never been able to get UE2 to produce result I like. Maybe I gave up too quickly on UE2 and never learned how to use it correctly. I get results I like better using multiple distant lights to fill in the ambient and it renders faster than UE2. The Ring of Light produces very good looking results too. There is a slight difference between the Distant Lights and Ring of Light images in the amount the shadows are filled, but this is just a mater of adjustment. You can independently raise and lower the ambient intensity in both of these images.

Brianne_compare2.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 290K
    Brianne_compare.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 385K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...actually I do have it installed but only turn it on for certain operations.

...such as when I need to plug in the USB modem to register new software online or directly (some apps don't have offline registration) or DL/install the latest Flash player so the PP2012 library system will run properly (for some odd reason this needs to be a direct DL/Install using IE, it won't work from a flash drive, nor with FF which has better security).

The cool thing is I can be online or doing postwork on the notebook while rendering without interfering with the process (and I now have a second notebook primarily for writing and net surfing so that helps the workflow even more).

Sounds like you're well catered for then.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

mark said:
    I have been comparing ways of simulating ambient light in 3Delight renders. I thought I would share some comparison renders I did for an outdoor test scene. This is very simple scene, a model and a sky dome. The lighting for the images are:

No Ambient - One distant light, intensity 100%, Color 255, 246, 234, Raytraced Shadows, 1% softness, Render time: 3 m 51 s

UE2 - Distant light as above but intensity 50%, UE2 intensity 50%, color same, Occlusion w/Directional Shadows, HDR KHPark preset rotated to align with distant light, 3Hi quality preset. Render time 6 m 40 s

Distant Lights - One distant light as in No Ambient, but intensity 70%, 6 distant lights to add ambient, intensity 20%, color same, diffuse only, no shadows, Xrot -10, YRot of 0, 45, 90, 180, -90, -45. Render Time: 3 m 53 s

Ring of Light - One distant light as in No Ambient, but intensity 70%. Ring of Light (no sky, just the light), Ambient 3.0 preset, Sky 03 Light preset (color 255, 255, 208), Quality 3 preset. IMPORTANT NOTE: You have to turn the opacity of the ROL to 0% in the surface tab, otherwise the ROL blocks the distant light and you get only ambient light. You can do this for the whole ROL at once, don't have to do it for each of the 36 sections. Render Time: 1 h 17 m

UE2 Soft - same as UE2, but used Occlusion w/soft shadows. Render time: 6 m 48 s.

Luxus - LuxRender via Luxus. One distant light translated to sky2. Only material setting was glass for the eyes. Render time: around 9 h, 5k s/p. Note: there are problems with materials. I'm a newbie with LuxRender. LuxRender gave errors about the tif files for the eyes, which is why she has demon eyes. I think Luxus is lowering the resolution of all the textures by default. Translation of skin textures/shader seems weird. The DAZ skin material uses UberSurface and includes subsurface scattering. The way Luxus translated that makes the skin look strange to me.

I have posed the model looking directly into the sun. As photographers know, you should never do this. The dynamic range of a camera is not as wide as the human eye. Pictures posed like this come out badly unless you use fill flash. However, I'm not trying to render an image that would look like a photo, and the human eye has wider dynamic range than cameras do.

The no ambient image shows the harsh shadows you get with just a distant light. I'm guessing the Luxus image shows how much ambient scattered light you would really get, but I don't like the look of this image because of the material issues.

I have never been able to get UE2 to produce result I like. Maybe I gave up too quickly on UE2 and never learned how to use it correctly. I get results I like better using multiple distant lights to fill in the ambient and it renders faster than UE2. The Ring of Light produces very good looking results too. There is a slight difference between the Distant Lights and Ring of Light images in the amount the shadows are filled, but this is just a mater of adjustment. You can independently raise and lower the ambient intensity in both of these images.

The ROL and the distant light look to give the best results there.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

man that sucks chummer . first some corp slot starts laying off then you do a few runs on the side to make a few ¥ ta get by, and then teh next thing ya know Lone star is at your door and drek really hits the fan.(or if your lucks really run out looking at the business end of a chromed Gillette's paper cutter)

...:lol:

Yep, now one of the "SINless".

Fortunately they gave me a bit of a severance so I have something to equip-er-fall back on as well as my incoming tax refunds.

Looks like it's time to get fitted for a Securetech jacket and find a clinic to get that jack and SL II with Rangefinder implanted. Hear WW has a spring sale on the Pred-III.

Also need to gut the old notebook compy and turn it into a matrix shredding deck.

Now where did I leave my Fixer's telecom address?

:coolgrin:

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969
    file_492736.jpg
    800 x 426 - 141K
    edited December 1969
    file_492736.jpg
    800 x 426 - 141K
    edited December 1969
    file_492736.jpg
    800 x 426 - 135K
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...:lol:

Yep, now one of the "SINless".

Fortunately they gave me a bit of a severance so I have something to equip-er-fall back on as well as my incoming tax refunds.

Looks like it's time to get fitted for a Securetech jacket and find a clinic to get that jack and SL II with Rangefinder implanted. Hear WW has a spring sale on the Pred-III.

Also need to gut the old notebook compy and turn it into a matrix shredding deck.

Now where did I leave my Fixer's telecom address?

:coolgrin:

"YAKUZA" Hacking Device

edited March 2013

...frag, that's swiss.

Got it.

Still would love to see someone come up with a Predator (any series) and/or real "chrome"

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • edited December 1969

mark said:

Nice comparisons. For now since i dont know to much about luxus I've gone back to fiddling with the lighting in 3delight. For my test i used UberEnviorment2(4xhi quality) set to 50% intensity with 2 spotlights above her pointing down at her, one on the left with color 215-63-34 30% intensity, Deep shadow maps with 50% softness, and the right 91-101-255 with 45% intensity with the same settings for the shadows. As well as one spotlight in front of her slightly below her with the default light color set to 45% intensity with the same shadows as the others.

Then i have 2 distant lights 1 in front of her(slightly rotated to the right, or her left) set to 45% and same shadows as my spotlights, and 1 behind her set to 130% intensity with no shadows.

If anyone could give me some criticism it would be very welcomed.

lightcomp.jpg
    960 x 540 - 252K
    edited March 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...frag, that's swiss.

Got it.

Still would love to see someone come up with a Predator (any series) and/or real "chrome"

If you mean the creature then Swidhelm has done a few to be found on ShareCG.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

...actually, the Predator II & III are the sidearm of choice for most Shadowrunners. Fully integrated Smart fire system with a 15 round clip at a very "reasonable" price.

edited December 1969

Ah, gotcha! DOH!

CHEERS!

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

... For now since i dont know to much about luxus I've gone back to fiddling with the lighting in 3delight. For my test i used UberEnviorment2(4xhi quality) set to 50% intensity with 2 spotlights above her pointing down at her, one on the left with color 215-63-34 30% intensity, Deep shadow maps with 50% softness, and the right 91-101-255 with 45% intensity with the same settings for the shadows. As well as one spotlight in front of her slightly below her with the default light color set to 45% intensity with the same shadows as the others.

Then i have 2 distant lights 1 in front of her(slightly rotated to the right, or her left) set to 45% and same shadows as my spotlights, and 1 behind her set to 130% intensity with no shadows.

If anyone could give me some criticism it would be very welcomed.

The one with lights definitely looks more interesting than the one with just the DAZ headlight.

I'm not sure what effect you are trying to achieve with the lighting. You have a orange spot light on the left and purple spot light on the right. Why are you using two different colored spot lights? Are you trying to change her skin tone?

At least to my eye, her skin looks a little too pinkish, like she is blushing. Maybe that is the effect you were trying to achieve.

I would generally not use lights of different colors unless I was trying to achieve some effect, like say a red/orange light coming from a fire mixed with ambient white light. Maybe this is suppose to be a club dance floor with multi colored lights.

So what were you trying to achieve with the lighting?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Luxrender (with Luxus) 9 hour 4.86 kS/p tweaked skin shaders to use the luxus- lux materials

d31.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 80K
    edited December 1969

You are growing lux patience! Good once you get better it will take you more time after looking at most of the renders on the luxus topic I decided to stick with Reality...

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    You are growing lux patience! Good once you get better it will take you more time after looking at most of the renders on the luxus topic I decided to stick with Reality...

no patience involved I just let it run over night,

I probably would have had decent results after 2 hours.

edited March 2013

What you can do in that case is in the Queue section set it to lets say to 2 1/2 hours and it will stop at that point I most of the time have stuff running overnight or when doing other things including many renders which is why I can crank out so many

BTW I posted a short tut here on how to use the refine brush http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2849428&page=249

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    What you can do in that case is in the Queue section set it to lets say to 2 1/2 hours and it will stop at that point I most of the time have stuff running overnight or when doing other things including many renders which is why I can crank out so many

BTW I posted a short tut here on how to use the refine brush http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2849428&page=249

I can either set a time limit or a Sample limit from what I've seen in the configuration stuff.

edited December 1969

Ok I work with queue myself

edited March 2013

Bobvan said:
    Ok I work with queue myself

thats one of the queue settings.... time, progress (samples) or noise elimination

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

Looks good anyway.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

...the ability to pause the render process and resume later is one of the features that attracted me to Reality as I didn't like the idea of having my notebook running for hours on end without a rest. (cooling for notebooks is no where near as good as full workstation PCs).

Currently shopping for a good UPS that regulates power so I can leave a render go overnight and/or while I am away.

Another reason I built the workstation as a standalone, along with no interruptions from those pesky auto updates.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Bobvan said:

...the ability to pause the render process and resume later is one of the features that attracted me to Reality as I didn't like the idea of having my notebook running for hours on end without a rest. (cooling for notebooks is no where near as good as full workstation PCs).

Currently shopping for a good UPS that regulates power so I can leave a render go overnight and/or while I am away.

Another reason I built the workstation as a standalone, along with no interruptions from those pesky auto updates.

I have a Cyber Power UPS I got from staples, I love it, even came with a windows app that will let me see power consumption.
    best thing I like about it is it will also even out the power flow to smooth out dips and spikes

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited March 2013

Another render from DS 4.5 Pro with Ring of Light used. I like how the shadows came out on the render.
    This time I rendered V5 Nichole with Despoina Hair, so the rendering time has increased to 1 hour 35 minutes 57.63 seconds.
    So far Ring of Light is one of the easiest light set to use and I like the results.

V5Nichole46pic01.jpg
    750 x 970 - 332K
    Post edited by Artini on
This discussion has been closed.