Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Mmm, I won't be switching to Lux any time soon, you guys might as well be speaking Korean! It seems to take forever and even then you might not be pleased with the eventual render after all that time. Laptops don't like being taxed for that long. Mine struggles to stay cool even doing 3Delight renders.

CHEERS!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

3Delight bogs down my system Lux does not

edited December 1969

Mmmm,

Never said never......

CHEERS!

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Looks like we now have another lighting option:

http://www.daz3d.com/ring-of-light-environment-lighting/

Intriguing.....

CHEERS!

I bought this today. Was a little skeptical of what render times would be, since it is 36 UberArea lights. This is my first experiment. All default settings except I used the 5X quality setting. Rendered 1200x800 took 2 hr 40 min, Considering there are 36 UberArea lights with samples set to 64, that is not bad.

ringOfLight_01.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 532K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited March 2013

Below is DS 4.5 Pro renders of V5 Nichole when using Ring of Light - Environment Lighting.
    First render completed in 9 minutes 0.94 seconds and the second in 7 minutes 33.30 seconds.
    I also attach the render settings used.

V5Nichole16pic01ROLsettings.jpg
    567 x 770 - 130K
    V5Nichole16pic01ROL.jpg
    750 x 970 - 359K
    V5Nichole15pic01ROL.jpg
    750 x 970 - 271K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

mark said:
    Rogerbee said:

Intriguing.....

CHEERS!

I bought this today. Was a little skeptical of what render times would be, since it is 36 UberArea lights. This is my first experiment. All default settings except I used the 5X quality setting. Rendered 1200x800 took 2 hr 40 min, Considering there are 36 UberArea lights with samples set to 64, that is not bad.

Glad you like it. The quality setting only affect the quality of the gradient in the shadows. All of my promos where done at 3x (2x is default) so I'm sure you could save yourself some time by rendering at a lower setting while still getting very good results.

• InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Below is DS 4.5 Pro renders of V5 Nichole when using Ring of Light - Environment Lighting.
    First render completed in 9 minutes 0.94 seconds and the second in 7 minutes 33.30 seconds.

Very nice

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, InaneGlory. I like your Ring of Light very much.

edited December 1969

Very Nice Artini if I was still UE rendering this would be tempting

• edited March 2013

Hello I am very new to daz, and these forums. I've only been using daz for a little while now, and right now im trying to get lighting down and am looking for some criticism. I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask but i saw you were talking about luxus and other lighting features so i thought it would be a good place to start.

If anyone could be kind enough to give me their opinion on my renders please do.

I also have a few questions about luxus, i have it but have no idea how it works. I tried to render with it but every picture i tried was just incredibly grainy for so long i just gave up. Does it just take an extremely long time? or is there some way to set it so it renders faster.

Edit: I actually uploaded the wrong file, so sorry if anyone saw that in those first 5 mins it was up.

pose1.png
    800 x 450 - 239K
    face1bc.jpg
    800 x 450 - 111K
    Post edited by jamiecaples9_00795e2a28 on
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

mark said:
    Rogerbee said:

Intriguing.....

CHEERS!

Glad you like it. The quality setting only affect the quality of the gradient in the shadows. All of my promos where done at 3x (2x is default) so I'm sure you could save yourself some time by rendering at a lower setting while still getting very good results.

I discovered I had the shading rate set at 0.1. Not sure how that happened. I use 0.2 for almost all my renders. So the 5x quality and the 0.1 shading rate is what made the render so slow.

Using a 0.2 shading rate and 2X quality the render took 11 minutes. With 3X quality the render took 22 minutes. Comparing the 2X render with the higher quality renders, you can see some noise in the deep shadows in the 2X render. The 3X render is very close to the 5X render.

The image below is the 3X render.

ringOfLight_01_3x.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 530K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Hello I am very new to daz, and these forums. I've only been using daz for a little while now, and right now im trying to get lighting down and am looking for some criticism. I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask but i saw you were talking about luxus and other lighting features so i thought it would be a good place to start.

If anyone could be kind enough to give me their opinion on my renders please do.

I also have a few questions about luxus, i have it but have no idea how it works. I tried to render with it but every picture i tried was just incredibly grainy for so long i just gave up. Does it just take an extremely long time? or is there some way to set it so it renders faster.

Edit: I actually uploaded the wrong file, so sorry if anyone saw that in those first 5 mins it was up.

Good use of lighting in those images.

As for Luxus, the rendering time will vary a lot depending on what materials and lighting rig you use. Luxrender uses real-life lighting calculations to display the scene. That means that a light beam might refract in water, reflect off the bottom of the pool, and exit the water before reaching the camera. In biased render engines, usually it only plays with what the camera can see, but Luxus calculates the entire scene no matter how far from the camera, or what's being affected. The bigger the scene, the longer the render.

To understand why your scene is rendering slowly, or why it remains noisy for a long time, we need to know the kind of scene you're rendering and what materials you're using. Shiny surfaces reflect more light, volumetric glass requires lengthy calculations, and don't even get me started on the dreaded subsurface scattering, which can take a~ges.

Post your grainy scene and we'll see if we can't spot some obvious issues.

edited December 1969

mark said:

Nice job, welcome aboard.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Artini said:

Oh yes,

You really made the most of them! Looks like I'll have to invest in these.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

They both look great to me, which lights did you use?

CHEERS!

edited March 2013

mark said:

I discovered I had the shading rate set at 0.1. Not sure how that happened. I use 0.2 for almost all my renders. So the 5x quality and the 0.1 shading rate is what made the render so slow.

Using a 0.2 shading rate and 2X quality the render took 11 minutes. With 3X quality the render took 22 minutes. Comparing the 2X render with the higher quality renders, you can see some noise in the deep shadows in the 2X render. The 3X render is very close to the 5X render.

The image below is the 3X render.

No discernable differences there.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Very Nice Artini if I was still UE rendering this would be tempting

Thanks a lot, Bobvan. Ring of Light seems to have a great potential in lighting the scenes.
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Artini said:

Oh yes,

You really made the most of them! Looks like I'll have to invest in these.

CHEERS!
    Thanks a lot, Rogerbee. I am always interested in the ways to achieve a quality renders in so short time as possible.
    Ring of Light seems to me to have such ability.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited March 2013

Not used to doing sci-fi renders, despite it being a favourite of mine. Still, I think this didn't come out too badly. I need more practice at doing glowing celestial bodies like the star though, so it's far from perfect. This one uses the Alphabase, Stinger and Shuttlestar all from Kibarreto's store. They're absolutely gorgeous props, so I think I got off to a good start for doing sci-fi themed works.

Originally I had planned to use Garibaldi for Aiko's and Hiro's hair, but my lack of hairdressing skills and a few camera issues prevented me from getting the effect I wanted, so I ended up using a recoloured Vida hair and the Pyrit hair. I really need to keep practicing with Garibaldi. I can only image how much time and painstaking effort it took to get some of the results I've seen on the forums, but every time I run a comb through the hair, it messes up everything else. Trying to select specific hairs to comb only causes even more problems as I catch unwanted hairs or have to manually select them which takes ages.

I'm confident I'll get there in the end, but at the moment I envy those people who make it look easy.

Starport_web.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 640K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

Artini said:

Thanks a lot, Rogerbee. I am always interested in the ways to achieve a quality renders in so short time as possible.
    Ring of Light seems to me to have such ability.

Yeah,

When you have an HP laptop which has a reputation for overheating that does tend to be a consideration for me too.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I do which why I buy their extended plan great service

edited December 1969

I had that for a while, but the monthly fee became a bit of a bind after a while. My laptop was already a year old when I bought it as it was a store demo model. The warranty ran out when I hadn't even had it a month.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969
    8562730287_8f9b544ba6_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 107K
  • madisonx_c5746f56a5madisonx_c5746f56a5 Posts: 224
    edited March 2013

Gave RoL a try. I like that it is so easy to use and has so many options, including backgrounds.

First render was with Lantios Core Lights. Second was RoL. I didn't mess with the settings much, and I have the hair setup as raytraced uberhair, so the render time was looong. But it looks decent. Should be really useful once I get a better idea of the best settings.

ROL_Test.jpg
    1036 x 777 - 264K
    Player_Portrait_Female_Short_Brown.jpg
    1036 x 777 - 256K
    Post edited by madisonx_c5746f56a5 on
    edited December 1969

The Lantios one is the best, it really makes the skin look good, and it's a big improvement over the previous ones.

CHEERS!

• madisonx_c5746f56a5madisonx_c5746f56a5 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

The Lantios one is the best, it really makes the skin look good, and it's a big improvement over the previous ones.

CHEERS!

I agree, but the RoL one was also done with no adjustments. I'm going to need to play with it a bit to see how it compares once I tweak it a bit.

Thanks for the feedback!

• edited December 1969

Good use of lighting in those images.

As for Luxus, the rendering time will vary a lot depending on what materials and lighting rig you use. Luxrender uses real-life lighting calculations to display the scene. That means that a light beam might refract in water, reflect off the bottom of the pool, and exit the water before reaching the camera. In biased render engines, usually it only plays with what the camera can see, but Luxus calculates the entire scene no matter how far from the camera, or what's being affected. The bigger the scene, the longer the render.

To understand why your scene is rendering slowly, or why it remains noisy for a long time, we need to know the kind of scene you're rendering and what materials you're using. Shiny surfaces reflect more light, volumetric glass requires lengthy calculations, and don't even get me started on the dreaded subsurface scattering, which can take a~ges.

Post your grainy scene and we'll see if we can't spot some obvious issues.

Thanks for your reply. sorry mine is so late, my work and sleep schedule isn't the best. But anyway here is a render i tried earlier today, i only used one light(area light and sky2) and didn't touch the settings since i know nothing of them. i let it sit for about 25 mins checking back here and there and from about 20 mins onward i saw no real change so i stopped it. so all in all about 45 mins, i dont know if that is enough time for a good render, but I've seen some posters talk about waiting hours or more so im guessing i may just need to be more patient.

on a side note, that render with lantios looks amazing. its the kind of "soft" look im trying to figure out how to make.

pixely.jpg
    800 x 413 - 59K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited March 2013

...just an FYI

As I have been laid off form my job (of nearly 18 years tenure - long story Details in ma DA Journal) I now have a lot of time on my hands. Currently installing everything on the new workstation and setting up the runtimes. The process is going surprisingly smoothly (even though I'm doing it the old fashioned way, one file at a time) as this rig is really really fast. Getting my activation code for Reality 2.5 as I have to register offline since the workstation has no net access (on purpose).

Need to go out and get a 16 or 32 GB flash drive which would help speed up the process a bit more.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2013

Thanks for your reply. sorry mine is so late, my work and sleep schedule isn't the best. But anyway here is a render i tried earlier today, i only used one light(area light and sky2) and didn't touch the settings since i know nothing of them. i let it sit for about 25 mins checking back here and there and from about 20 mins onward i saw no real change so i stopped it. so all in all about 45 mins, i dont know if that is enough time for a good render, but I've seen some posters talk about waiting hours or more so im guessing i may just need to be more patient.

on a side note, that render with lantios looks amazing. its the kind of "soft" look im trying to figure out how to make.

Looking good!

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...just an FYI

As I have been laid off form my job (of nearly 18 years tenure - long story Details in ma DA Journal) I now have a lot of time on my hands. Currently installing everything on the new workstation and setting up the runtimes. The process is going surprisingly smoothly (even though I'm doing it the old fashioned way, one file at a time) as this rig is really really fast. Getting my activation code for Reality 2.5 s I have to register offline since the workstation has no net access (on purpose).

Need to go out and get a 16 or 32 GB flash drive

Yay, (For the workstation, not you losing your job!)

The monster starts to live! I was thinking you'd get it finished only to find it was out of date! Hope you get it (and a career) up and running soon.

CHEERS!

This discussion has been closed.