So, what is the projected time on DAZ Studio 5?

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

I feel it is coming up fairly soon with all the talk in the last few months.

What new features will it have and what is it's ETA?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

There has been no talk from anyone that would actually know, just random musings and speculations.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited July 2017

And I'm thinking with the version numbers going into minute 4.9.xxx they're holding off on a 5 as that will break all plugins from PAs. (You don't want GenX to break do you?) So wouldn't expect that for for quite a while.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

I don't want Gen X to break if it can be updated for Gen 8.... but the chances of that happening ... (sadness).

• And I'm thinking with the version numbers going into minute 4.9.xxx they're holding off on a 5 as that will break all plugins from PAs. (You don't want GenX to break do you?) So wouldn't expect that for for quite a while.

The change log is currently showing 4.10.0.x numbers

And I'm thinking with the version numbers going into minute 4.9.xxx they're holding off on a 5 as that will break all plugins from PAs. (You don't want GenX to break do you?) So wouldn't expect that for for quite a while.

The change log is currently showing 4.10.0.x numbers

yeah yeah, you got my point tho cheeky

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited July 2017

People are always thinking that software releases follow the decimal notation, whereas they, in many instances, do not. The period, dot, full-stop is a separator and is used to differentiate between most significant (4) and least significant (currently at .122 [4.9.4.122] for Beta release of Studio).

I'll be bloody glad when we get the 4.10 release as it will at least stop (I'm probably dreaming) all the damn speculation (ok guessing).

Post edited by nicstt on
  • morkmork Posts: 278

I wondered and still wonder about having so few new characters for G8.
    Due to that I got the idea that there is something going on in the background, which let PAs hold back their content, my educated guess was it will be Daz Studio 5.
    So I'd put my bet on: Soon™ :-)

edited July 2017
    mork said:

Due to that I got the idea that there is something going on in the background, which let PAs hold back their content, my educated guess was it will be Daz Studio 5.

You'll probably lose that bet ;) If G8 was tied that way to a new version of studio, the base would have never released before then.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    mork said:

You'll probably lose that bet ;) If G8 was tied that way to a new version of studio, the base would have never released before then.

... And the change logs for Studio are showing 4.10... So yeh, you have definitely lost that bet.

• mork said:

Given that many PAs already had content in QA for G3F, it's not surprising that there is still content for her coming into the store here and elsewhere.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    ...but our updates go to .11!
  • k410k410 Posts: 75

Poetry doesn't wait for anything else. It leaks through anyway.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Forget about the 4.10 or 5.0 update I'm more excited about the 4.20 one ayyy

I'm sorry

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    ...+1
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited July 2017

dynamics (MD), realtime collisions & workable IK/FK/CK animation pipeline, else i'll pass (hanging/waited around to long here since 2005).

Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • mork said:

Exactly. 

Then, June or July 2019 is the next point to wait for DS5...or when QT get important changes...or when marketing decide they need a 5.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

I'm a heavy user of the late, great Gail "Draagonstorm" Kettleson's batch scheduler.  The thought that this may not work in Studio 5.0 does not fill me with enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Alex.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    nicstt said:

People are always thinking that software releases follow the decimal notation, whereas they, in many instances, do not. The period, dot, full-stop is a separator and is used to differentiate between most significant (4) and least significant (currently at .122 [4.9.4.122] for Beta release of Studio).

I'll be bloody glad when we get the 4.10 release as it will at least stop (I'm probably dreaming) all the damn speculation (ok guessing).

Yep, versioning doesn't follow any rules but those made up by the creator/s of the software.

One software I use regularly, the betas are always odd numbers whereas the actual releases are always even numbers. So if they go through a few betas before a release, expect numbers to be skipped.

When I write software, my versioning depends on the extent of the update (is it just a quick bug fix or are new features added? useless stuff removed or blocks of code rewritten to run smoother?)

• LotharenLotharen Posts: 282

Daz did hint at something big comming later this year. When I read that I honestly thought Studio 5.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    Lotharen said:

Daz did hint at something big comming later this year. When I read that I honestly thought Studio 5.

I didn't. My first thought when I read that was 'I wonder how much this'll end up costing me!' :) Maybe I've just got too used to stuff like new features needing a clutch of new plugins to get the best from them, or the iRay render engine needing a whole new approach to lights and shaders when it appeared. I'm as keen as anyone else is to see what 'something big' might be, but my budget is already trembling with terror!

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Something big.... hmmm.... my entire wishlist going free for a limited time! :D

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Something big.... hmmm.... my entire wishlist going free for a limited time! :D

I'm up for that! LOL

Laurie

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

To answer the OP's question - about a month before its ready.smiley

• Lotharen said:

I did at first, but then the Hivewire Animals announcement came along... Maybe that was the "big thing" they were hinting at, or at least a part of it.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,924

Yeah, it's gonna be awhile, I hope it's not TOO long though...Wake me when it's version 4.9.99.9.90! wink

• Lotharen said:

I did at first, but then the Hivewire Animals announcement came along... Maybe that was the "big thing" they were hinting at, or at least a part of it.

Later this year means the fall and the Hivewire announcement isnt big enough as they said some of the things planned were gonna blow our minds 

• ButchButch Posts: 797

Well, my prediction for 5 is that half the regulars of the forums will love it, half of them will hate it and the majority of users, who don't use the forums, probably won't care and will use it without comment.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Butch said:

Well, my prediction for 5 is that half the regulars of the forums will love it, half of them will hate it and the majority of users, who don't use the forums, probably won't care and will use it without comment.

Exactly. LOL

Laurie

• AllenArt said:
    Butch said:

Exactly. LOL

Laurie

+1 wink

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited July 2017

Well if you mistake DAZ Studio users absense from the forums or absense of complaints or other such business metrics as equivalent as not caring that is a big mistake.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on