Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Thanks, Redz. I did a bunch last night and this morning (around 30 of them) and I didn't notice any nail issues on them. Happy to test the revised one. Once everything is set up, these go pretty quickly. Thanks for making this as simple as possible. I've never used some of these tools before. Amazing how many hidden gems and tools there are in Studio. 

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    Llynara said:

Thanks, Redz. I did a bunch last night and this morning (around 30 of them) and I didn't notice any nail issues on them. Happy to test the revised one. Once everything is set up, these go pretty quickly. Thanks for making this as simple as possible. I've never used some of these tools before. Amazing how many hidden gems and tools there are in Studio. 

Apologies, in my haste I uploaded the wrong file. update coming shortly

Updated the tutorial file that (hopefully) sorts out those fingernail issues. Let me know how you get on with it. And huge thanks to everyone providing ideas and feedback, We'll get there together :)

DOWNLOAD REVISED FILES HERE

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

No worries! Still working on a test render, but will get going on this as soon as it finishes.

• Ki-JenKi-Jen Posts: 64
    edited June 2017

Tried to download the new version. No luck (404 file not found).

Edit: Works now. Thank you.

But I already have the old version and are trying the different conversion methods (yours and Sickleyields/Katteys). That raises another question: I have several morphs now on G8, that I didn't want to keep. Is there an easy way to delete them? I tried "Delete selected property" in the parameters tab. But this deletes the morph only temporary.

Post edited by Ki-Jen on
    Ki-Jen said:

Tried to download the new version. No luck (404 file not found).

Edit: Works now. Thank you.

But I already have the old version and are trying the different conversion methods (yours and Sickleyields/Katteys). That raises another question: I have several morphs now on G8, that I didn't want to keep. Is there an easy way to delete them? I tried "Delete selected property" in the parameters tab. But this deletes the morph only temporary.

You would need to find the morphs .dsf files in the data folder that you saved them to (under Daz3D Genesis 8 female and delete the ones you don't wish to keep.

• adam_graggadam_gragg Posts: 141

Download the zip files and copy/paste the contents into My Daz3D Library.

Open Daz Studio

Under Content Library - People - Genesis 8 Female - Morph Transfer Helper, find and load 'G3F to G8F Morph Transfer' 

The above instructions are throwing me.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I can't find any of these anywhere.  What's more, there is no "People option" when I click on the content library tab.  Is it under "G" for Geneis or something of that ilk?  

Redz said:

This is my alternative method, but I've found it better than the transfer utility for body morphs especially

Tutorial and helper scene/morphs included

DOWNLOAD HERE

Redz said:

This is my alternative method, but I've found it better than the transfer utility for body morphs especially

DOWNLOAD HERE

This is working fantastic! Thanks :D

Good to hear :) The tips of the fingernails sometimes come out a little distorted. Not sure that can be helped. 

Download the zip files and copy/paste the contents into My Daz3D Library.

Open Daz Studio

Under Content Library - People - Genesis 8 Female - Morph Transfer Helper, find and load 'G3F to G8F Morph Transfer' 

The above instructions are throwing me.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I can't find any of these anywhere.  What's more, there is no "People option" when I click on the content library tab.  Is it under "G" for Geneis or something of that ilk?  

Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

This is working fantastic! Thanks :D

Good to hear :) The tips of the fingernails sometimes come out a little distorted. Not sure that can be helped. 

In the content library tab, there should be -Daz studio formats- My Daz 3D Library, and inside that a people folder. The file should be there if you have copied and pasted the contents of the zip to your My Daz 3D folder 

• adam_graggadam_gragg Posts: 141

Is this error message supposed to come up when I load your figure? 

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 11.18.35 AM.png
    1442 x 562 - 55K
    Redz said:

Updated the tutorial file that (hopefully) sorts out those fingernail issues. Let me know how you get on with it. And huge thanks to everyone providing ideas and feedback, We'll get there together :)

The error can safely be ignored, but you should download the latest version of the tutorial (linked above in this post) It gives better results on the nails and fingers.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

It's an error only because Redz has morphs for G3 that you don't have. Ignore ;). I get it too :P

Laurie

• Kristinka VlasovaKristinka Vlasova Posts: 16
    edited June 2017

You need to install it https://www.daz3d.com/toon-generations-2-essentials-for-genesis-3

Post edited by Kristinka Vlasova on
  •  

Redz said:

I tried your updated file and it works much better now, here is a comparison pick of the same models as I posted before, my Lara morph and Genesis 8 Female:

The distortion she had before is gone, now it's just a little bit beside her thumb as you can see. This can easily be hidden I think by posing the hands carefully. I transfered all my custom characters and some official ones and the more realistic model, the less distortion beside the thumb. The only model with deformed fingertips when transfered is the ToonGenerations model. 

Thanks again for this awesome tutorial! heart

edited June 2017

Here some results from my tests using both methods, Redz and SickleYields/Katteys. I used the Aiko 6 legacy morphs for Genesis 3 with the Ayumi mats. Here the "Head shots":

Conversion with RedzOriginalConversion with Sickleyield/Kattay

Compared to the original only the eyelashes are clearly different, which is no surprise, as they are not converted at all. Between the two conversions there are minor differences at the eyes.

The specular highlights of the eyes are missing too. But that's a problem with the mats, not a result of the morph conversion.

G8Aiko6Head_RedZ.jpg
    400 x 500 - 64K
    G3Aiko6Head.jpg
    400 x 500 - 65K
    G8Aiko6Head_SY.jpg
    400 x 500 - 67K
    Post edited by Ki-Jen on
    edited June 2017

And the (nearly) full body shots:

Redz methodOriginalSickleyield/Kattay

Body conversion unfortunately didn't work as well as the head. The arms are not straight and the body is wider compared to the original. Look at the distance between the legs.This is most probably a result of the different body shapes of G3 and G8. I fear, no conversion method can change this without working on the mesh itself.

But the results are still impressive. Thanks a lot Redz, Kattey, SickleYield and all here on the forum for making this possible.

... but I'm greedy wink. While the body conversions most probably wouldn't work in practice, at least for Aiko 6, the head conversions are really great. Hence my question: Is there a way to create head morph conversions only, without changing the body at all? I tried with the Aiko 6 head morph, but the body is still changing a bit, even if I didn't morph anything there.

G8Aiko6Full_RedZ.jpg
    300 x 500 - 45K
    G3Aiko6Full.jpg
    300 x 500 - 44K
    G8Aiko6Full_SY.jpg
    300 x 500 - 45K
    Post edited by Ki-Jen on

Genesis 8 is happy she can shapeshift to G7 shapes and her fingers are mangle-free ;).

G8 out of the box on the left and a pixie morph for G7 by Xameva on the right on G8

Laurie

G8 and G7_8.jpg
    1289 x 2000 - 1M
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Bethany's fingers are perfect on G8 now after using the update. I even tried them with G8's 'nail length' morph, cranked up to maximum, to see if there would be any adverse effects. There were none. Thank you :)

• Kristinka VlasovaKristinka Vlasova Posts: 16
    edited June 2017

Aerilyn for G3F to G8F )))

Post edited by Kristinka Vlasova on
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

Ki-Jen, Did you use the updated method?

I ask because the earlier method seemed to proceed on the assumption that all you had to do was rotate the arms 45/48 and the legs six to match poses. This is not completely correct.

Before I hit on my own method, I tried matching poses, and the arms and legs are not just bent, they're rotated. I don't have the exact vales handy, but they are.

I believe Redz's updated files will give better results as the poses should be more closely matched.

I did an aiko transfer of my own and did not encounter any issue with bent arms or distorted bodies. In fact, I used a pose matching script and they match almost exactly, 

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • AllegraAllegra Posts: 405

Thank you so much Redz and everyone for the tips...I'm really happy to be able to transfer the morphs across and went on a morphs converting spree.
    My only problem is only one morph shows under Morphs.....I read and re-read the tutorial, followed the steps carefully and while the new morph conversion shows and works
    while I'm working on it, after I go through the steps, close Daz and re-open..it disappears with only the Arabella morph remaining.

A quick 2min render of Arabella morph about 80%
    Hope someone can help....they show in MyDaz Connect Library data daz3D Genesis 8 Female Morphs....but can't get them to show inside Daz under Morphs except for Arabella.

arabellaconvers.jpg
    459 x 770 - 349K
  • Allegra, how are you saving the morph?

Allegra said:

Thank you so much Redz and everyone for the tips...I'm really happy to be able to transfer the morphs across and went on a morphs converting spree.
    My only problem is only one morph shows under Morphs.....I read and re-read the tutorial, followed the steps carefully and while the new morph conversion shows and works
    while I'm working on it, after I go through the steps, close Daz and re-open..it disappears with only the Arabella morph remaining.

A quick 2min render of Arabella morph about 80%
    Hope someone can help....they show in MyDaz Connect Library data daz3D Genesis 8 Female Morphs....but can't get them to show inside Daz under Morphs except for Arabella.

Are you remembering to save as Morph Assets at the very end? If you don't, it won't get saved upon exiting DS.

Laurie

Allegra, how are you saving the morph?

After going through the steps I right click the new morphs and ERC freeze, and zero G8 save as support asset...but good ole' Arabella is the only one that shows up.

Yes Laurie, I'm doing that...and checking only under G8 / morph

Sometimes after a few morphs, mine were spreading all over actor/full body/people and actor/people. They also jumped around inside the list of morphs. I had trouble finding a few even tho I knew I saved them :P

Laurie

I've been checking under different different things Allen, but can't find any of them..there's only one other that shows up in MyDaz Connect Library data daz3D Genesis 8 Female Morphs but it won't show inside Daz and I haven't a clue how to get it to show there.

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

Please convert another character, and as you do so, write down each step as you do it. Leave nothing out of the list.

Test that conversion and report the results here. In addition to that, copy the list of steps you wrote down as you were doing them here as well.

Based on your description of your actions, everything should have worked, so they only way to romotely diagnose the issue is for you to walk us through it, step by step.

Important not just copy the list from the tut. Perform a step, the write down exactly what you did, in your own words, before moving to the next. Otherwise, we're all pissing against the wind in the dark with blinders on while looking for a black cat in a room with no lights.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • TottallouTottallou Posts: 555

You need to save your own morphs in a normal none connect library so check you are choosing that from the drop down when you save as a support asset

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

I tried the Sickleyield method and it worked great. But my question is, why not just use the G3 version? So far I see no advantages to G8... Why do we need G8 if we already have all the morphs we want in G3??? The mouth may be a bit more realistic for some expressions but not such a big change. V8/G8 could just be another less attractive G3 character. I'm not seeing the huge advantages...

lol! Singular, I'm doing that now...starting from scratch and not using the saved obj file to convert and will write down step by step ;)

Tottallou...save in a non connect library..I'll try that too.