Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

EEEEK. I was just at 15,000 posts, now it's 203 more? Shut me up!  (Well, in my defense, I did The Material Zone and the Genesis 3 Males for you. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) 

I'll render a few of these hairs for you. I did finish the Genesis 3 men and will post those sometime today/tonight. Busy, busy, busy!

Is anyone else having trouble with Zombie Walker refusing to leave the downloads in DIM? The stupid thing won't install. It just keeps staying in the Ready To Install, then going back into the Downloads column. I've tried this for awhile (didn't buy it today.) Do you have any products that get stuck? How do you get them unstuck?

I will be adding Carson to the Genesis 3 Males, as I got that bundle mentioned above. 

edited May 2017

Charlotte Hair (Gen3F)        Teagan (G3F)        9 to 5 Dress Outfit

FWSA Teagan (V7)  was part of that bundle. (I have enough G3F to last me a lifetime!)  She somes with a corset.

Just wanted to show how different you can make Charlotte Hair- don't be afraid to undo the parameters. (Particularly to make it more triangle shaped instead of a bowl cut/rounded look.) I did use the round bangs so it wasn't straight across, that's a very nice option. Use those thin strands for the bangs- they don't show up in the viewport, even with Iray viewing- but they make a difference in the final render. Want this look?  Use Slosh's hair shaders, low shine, and if you're using Chocolate you'll need to darken the Diffuse to a darker blue.

Look at the store promo- the main one- then compare to what you can do if you unlock some of the parameter sliders! (You will NOT get this look if you don't!)  Attached are the screenshots of the settings. You will know if you have to click the cog and turn off the limits. If not shown, the settings were NOT CHANGED. Edit- I added this to the References in the second post of this thread, so you can find it easily. It's under Tip: Charlotte Hair.

Main Store Promo: Cute for kids or exotic look.

Tweaked. Can be a good business look, modern short hair, good for kids or adults.

You can click to enlarge.

TeaganCharlotteHair.png
    717 x 800 - 617K
    charlotteHairSettings.jpg
    652 x 774 - 1M
    charlottePromo.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 232K
    TeaganCharlotteHair2.png
    717 x 800 - 569K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I like Charlotte hair - it's one of my faves. I played with the parameters and gave it a peaked fringe look. I used it here (click for full version):

SWAMCharlotte_jakiblue_elite.png
    1100 x 1800 - 2M
    edited May 2017

FW Brianna (Gen3F)       Cordia Hair (Gen3F) 

And here's Cordia Hair, also by Swam and in the sale. Wanted to do the short hairs so you could compare Charlotte (tweaked) and Cordia.

brianna Cordia Hair.png
    600 x 800 - 603K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2017

Daydreamer Outfit (Gen3F) 

Because I got a good deal on it (started at 65%, then 10% above that) I am satisfied with it, but you won't be if you want movement morphs for the pants. Look at the morphs included, that shows you there is just "adjustments." Breaking it down in Scene, when you select individual areas, barely moving the slider really moves the pant material. (that's not bad, it means good placement of the bones.)  BUT, you really can't move the pants easily to where they need to go, such as the pants leg hanging down due to the weight, when the figure is sitting down. Some crinkling/wild movement happens due to the sensitivity of the sliders. 

The good news is the pants follow the figure and are nice and sleek. Unless your figure is sitting down like the one shown, the pants will look fine. If sitting like this one, the pants would be resting on the top of her foot.

brianna Cordia Hair Daydreamer.png
    900 x 650 - 278K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131
    edited May 2017

I have a clutch of G3 Men I didn't spot on your list.

Evan

Shen

Tchanun

Evan-G3M.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 347K
    Shen-G3M.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 302K
    Tchanun-G3M.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 303K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Hm, they look a lot darker here on my laptop than they did on my render machine - are they light enough? I used the base HDR that comes with DAZ Studio 4.9, ISO=145 (like you suggested) and EV=13.76. Camera position set to front of figure, focal length=120 I think (that's what I usually use for head shots).

I notice that Shen looks very dry/matte-skinned compared to Evan (and also compared to Tchanun, but I often get that damper look for darker skins).

Shen is on the list  wink But it never hurts to see more than one!  I'm headed out the door to the barn but will add the others in when I get back. Thanks so much!

Novica said:

Shen is on the list  wink But it never hurts to see more than one!  I'm headed out the door to the barn but will add the others in when I get back. Thanks so much!

Oh, I took a screen print of your "full" list here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2374921/#Comment_2374921 and he's not on that one! I guess I should have checked the "R-S-T-X" list too.

MelanieL said:

Hm, they look a lot darker here on my laptop than they did on my render machine - are they light enough? I used the base HDR that comes with DAZ Studio 4.9, ISO=145 (like you suggested) and EV=13.76. Camera position set to front of figure, focal length=120 I think (that's what I usually use for head shots).

I notice that Shen looks very dry/matte-skinned compared to Evan (and also compared to Tchanun, but I often get that damper look for darker skins).

I'll download them and get them to about the same as the others, if that's okay. I know what you mean- mine were going darker, and in The Material Zone thread, some of the yellow cross-hatching disappeared! The forum DOES tweak the images. My graphics program can quickly lighten/midtone/shadow and since I have a feel of it, I can zip it right out.

Yes, help yourself, Novica.

edited May 2017
    MelanieL said:
    Novica said:

Oh, I took a screen print of your "full" list here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2374921/#Comment_2374921 and he's not on that one! I guess I should have checked the "R-S-T-X" list too.

Ah, good- you caught a boo boo!!!! Thanks! (I hadn't posted the renders and posted the numbers yet, so the two hadn't been compared.)

See if these are okay- (and man, the forum really is tweaking these! The last one is still coming out darker, but it's ok)

evanMelanie.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 165K
    shenMelanie.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 141K
    tchanunmelanie.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 163K
    Post edited by Novica on

Got the images up for the last batch of the G3M. Still adding the light information.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

Description

Part of that cool RuntimeDNA sale. For 3.19 which was a great deal. 

Made with...

Joseph Kravis

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    cismic said:

Description

Part of that cool RuntimeDNA sale. For 3.19 which was a great deal. 

Made with...

Joseph Kravis

Huh, I went to look and apparently, I have her already lol.  she looks really good!

I'll be rendering more after this weekend so should be able to participate a bit more in posting stuff as well.

Posted over in The Material Zone- I did The Book Of Magic that I mentioned earlier today. I used the ceramics and jewelry shaders. 

Description

Stung by imaginations melded glory, pulled and connected life’s odd demeanor. As I alone amongst the stars grasp at life’s curiosities… #kravis 

Still trying to figure out lighting with the fog for… more

Made with...

Joseph Kravis

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    Novica said:

Is anyone else having trouble with Zombie Walker refusing to leave the downloads in DIM? The stupid thing won't install. It just keeps staying in the Ready To Install, then going back into the Downloads column. I've tried this for awhile (didn't buy it today.) Do you have any products that get stuck? How do you get them unstuck?

I will be adding Carson to the Genesis 3 Males, as I got that bundle mentioned above. 

Can't blame a zombie for being stupid. It's dead after all. cheeky

Jokes aside, I've no problems with the zombie, but I've had other things getting stuck in DIM on a couple of occasions. They've all sorted themselves out eventually. Though the most persistant took about a week to do it.

Oh, my logic. I'm warped, but it works for me. I got sets at 50% off, and justified it by comparing two carts. With and without the $16 food cart, and the difference was saving $8 off the sets. So in my mind, that $8 savings could be applied to the food cart, making it $8, which was exactly 50% too. (After all, the cart total was only $8 more.)  And with the gift card at 20% off that I used, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

These sets will work well together, you can go from an exterior set and indoors, they match up in style: (just go to Muze's store.)

Grandma's Basement (10.98), Abandoned Residence (10.98) , Shadowed Halls (8.48) , and New York City Storefront (9.47)  (which has buildings which could be the residential apartments for the interiors.)  

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited May 2017

Found a few more you missed, Novica...

G3MCharacterCO.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 341K
    G3MCharacterEO.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 346K
    Post edited by Valandar on

Excellent, looking forward to seeing them!
    It's 12:25am and I just got back half an hour ago from the barn. There's a lovely back deck, and it's a full moon, so the owner and a few of us boarders sat outside talking for a few hours and I had Stetson on a lead line, right there by the deck, munching grass. He looked so awesome in the full moonlight! Very relaxing with the crickets chirping and stars overhead, but with some clouds blowing at a good clip across the sky. There was a nice breeze at surface level too.

Then the owner and I went to Waffle House for a late dinner. Nice to get away from the computer for the evening! 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:

That happens when they configure the files improperly.  Nothing you can do on your end except report it as a bug and install it manually.  If you look at the product in your Product Library you'll see duplicate downloads, and the DIM log will say "XXX is a repeated download".

Dumb question- if I install it manually, does DIM know it's in my studio? I want that stupid thing out of the download column! In other words, does DIM have the capability to read what files are installed, or does it only know what it has done? I love technology- and hate technology. I can't figure out what it knows and what it doesn't! If I lived in the future, I'd just look at my robot housekeeper and say, "Oh, whatever. Do your thing!"

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:

Dumb question- if I install it manually, does DIM know it's in my studio? I want that stupid thing out of the download column! In other words, does DIM have the capability to read what files are installed, or does it only know what it has done? I love technology- and hate technology. I can't figure out what it knows and what it doesn't! If I lived in the future, I'd just look at my robot housekeeper and say, "Oh, whatever. Do your thing!"

No, DIM doesn't know what you install manually.

Fisty said:

Knittingmommy's Top 3 Picks for April 2017

Despite being busy with other stuff, I did actually manage to render some new stuff.  I have a mix of old and new that I picked up over MM and rendered in April.

1.   Tonal Rage - Tone Mapping Kit for Iray

Ooooo...  I missed that when it hit the shop.  I need that!!

I love that product.  Before I got it, I never messed with the Tone Mapping tab.  This makes it easy.  I've spent quite a bit of time clicking on buttons and seeing how it affected the settings in the Tone Mapping tab learning what it does so I can play with it on my own.  I highly recommend it.  I love experimenting with it which how that image with the Red Rabbit came about.  I had a specific idea in mind and Tonal Rage made it very easy to get the look I wanted without having to do postwork.

edit:  added a dropped word

Saw this in the forum this evening and picked up the Tonal Range tool, along with the White Knight which was in fast grab. Installed and then proceeded to push some wrong buttons. :-) Came up with this by accident and glad it turned out OK. It will be a great time saver. Now to do one with color. Great suggestion!

256 Shades Of Whoop Ash Gray.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 612K
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Novica said:

If the install package is in the DIM download folder, it will see it and mark it as installed. I used to download a few of the larger items manually at work (shhh) and bring them home to install. I just dropped them into the install folder, it found and installed them that way. But you could also manually do it and as long as that package is in the right place, it'll see it.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    cismic said:
    Fisty said:

Knittingmommy's Top 3 Picks for April 2017

Despite being busy with other stuff, I did actually manage to render some new stuff.  I have a mix of old and new that I picked up over MM and rendered in April.

1.   Tonal Rage - Tone Mapping Kit for Iray

Ooooo...  I missed that when it hit the shop.  I need that!!

I love that product.  Before I got it, I never messed with the Tone Mapping tab.  This makes it easy.  I've spent quite a bit of time clicking on buttons and seeing how it affected the settings in the Tone Mapping tab learning what it does so I can play with it on my own.  I highly recommend it.  I love experimenting with it which how that image with the Red Rabbit came about.  I had a specific idea in mind and Tonal Rage made it very easy to get the look I wanted without having to do postwork.

edit:  added a dropped word

Saw this in the forum this evening and picked up the Tonal Range tool, along with the White Knight which was in fast grab. Installed and then proceeded to push some wrong buttons. :-) Came up with this by accident and glad it turned out OK. It will be a great time saver. Now to do one with color. Great suggestion!

I like your render, especially in black and white. Looks great!

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    Novica said:

Excellent, looking forward to seeing them!

Umm... I added them to the post above this...

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    Valandar said:

Found a few more you missed, Novica...

heart

This discussion has been closed.