"Brace yourself, my dear wallet! There's always another Sale - and Glitches!"

Comments

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

Oh, god, just when I thought I had everything, there's a whole bunch more and my cart is up to $160 and I've only gotten half way through the list. Going to have a lot of weeding later but how often are things 80% off? You see that's when they get me to spend money, stocking up on highly discounted items. If those things went up to only 50% or 60% off, or even 70% out of my cart they would go. But at 80% off, I can rationalize buying them even though I may not NEED them... So by keeping the discounts, they make more money, so please Daz, stop pulling highly discounted items! 

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

My lord, woman. Can we please see your cart? lol

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Kerya said:
    MN-150374 said:
    Kerya said:

From the newsletter:

https://www.daz3d.com/poser-mega-sale

Featured items 70% off - 80% off with purchase of a new release

Indeed, the characters I have purchased are included in this sale. Got the 70% off without a new relased item. Was not very interessed in todays new releases anyways.

Any 'new' release even works. It doesn't have to be one of today's releases.

as long as it is NOT a PC item ...

Where does it say NOT new PC+ releases?  I don't see that anywhere.  Just 'Any New Release' to trigger the 80% off on the Poser Megasale.

This is fixed, new PC items will work.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Kerya said:
    MN-150374 said:
    Kerya said:

From the newsletter:

https://www.daz3d.com/poser-mega-sale

Featured items 70% off - 80% off with purchase of a new release

Indeed, the characters I have purchased are included in this sale. Got the 70% off without a new relased item. Was not very interessed in todays new releases anyways.

Any 'new' release even works. It doesn't have to be one of today's releases.

as long as it is NOT a PC item ...

Where does it say NOT new PC+ releases?  I don't see that anywhere.  Just 'Any New Release' to trigger the 80% off on the Poser Megasale.

This is fixed, new PC items will work.

Yes, definitly fixed.  

edited April 2017

This is one of the top ten "WORST" sales weeks....
    Scene Optimizer (Must purchase)  Hope there's some sort of summary that tells you how much memory you've freed etc....

The Fallen One HD (Must purchase) [wished he came with poses, but yeah, I know we'll have some in the stash]

Svanhilda is awesome, look at the skin LIE options.... facepaint is awesome.

Impossible objects just looks great

I found a lot of wishlist items in the featured artist and "worst" of all...gift cards at 8%.
    Despite a fair amount of glitches and problematic sales match/coupons.....

The Madness from March doesn't seem to be done with FORCING me to make purchases...

I can't believe making music might be a cheaper passion than making images!

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
    avxp said:

My lord, woman. Can we please see your cart? lol

Well, most of it looked like this... Except for the trigger, the new Wear Them All, nothing was more than $5.00, most was $3.00 and under, many at $1.00, some less than $1.00!  Things I never would have purchased at a higher price, but I could always use or find a creative use for... Plus I got $15 free Daz Originals from the Darkseal sale which were also in the sale so I got a bunch of free Daz Originals. I still use V4 in Poser so I don't have to worry about things not working in DS. I spent more money than I wanted but it's hard to weed out things that are one or two dollars, and you think of creative ways you can use them. Now I REALLY have to stop shopping and start rendering!

IMG_3996.PNG
    1536 x 2048 - 288K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    avxp said:

Scene Optimizer (Must purchase)  Hope there's some sort of summary that tells you how much memory you've freed etc....

The Fallen One HD (Must purchase) [wished he came with poses, but yeah, I know we'll have some in the stash]

I found a lot of wishlist items in the featured artist and "worst" of all...gift cards at 8%.

The Madness from March doesn't seem to be done with FORCING me to make purchases...

I'd been doing this hobby for about a year and a half when I came to the conclusion it would have been cheaper to take up golf... including lessons from a golf pro!

• L'Adair said:

it would have been cheaper to take up golf... including lessons from a golf pro!

Yea but think of all that activity :(

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    L'Adair said:

it would have been cheaper to take up golf...

Yeah, that's not too expensive. I mean https://www.daz3d.com/golf-clubs is just $9.07 and https://www.daz3d.com/golf-cart is even cheaper at $6.97! laughlaughlaugh

L'Adair said:

it would have been cheaper to take up golf... including lessons from a golf pro!

Yea but think of all that activity :(

True. It's difficult to golf sitting down. Not to mention dealing with the symptoms of tech-withdrawal...On the other hand, I've got clothes in my closet that would fit again, at some point, with all that walking!

Now I REALLY have to stop shopping and start rendering!

Ahhhh I see, you are damn near buying EVERYTHING. I thought because I did graphic comics, I'd have some unique challenges and thus find myself needing a bigger and constantly re-freshing library.

But damn, you render A LOT AND you don't have any limitations by style or genre (I'm guessing) so yeah, EVERY deal is probably SOMETHING you could use.

The Centaur looked cool, and the initial deal was solid, but I don't have any story that requires a centaur so.....I let that one pass by.....

-----

So...yes. if I was able to do pure renders, I think I would be on the news robbing a bank.

Just when I thought I was pretty safe only looking at recent releases, that vendor went and created WEAR THEM ALL.

Good job. angry  Now I have to consider the whole dang store!

Hope Daz gave that PA some real love. I can't imagine what a firestorm of sales that 1 product has created.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited April 2017

Deleted

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited April 2017

You couldn't keep me away from scene optimizer if it were full price.  (But as usual I'm waiting for Fast Grab to change or not change at Daz HQ Workday Begin.)

Post edited by dreamfarmer on

Uh. lokks like a kind if meh sales day. .....for a mere 8% off a gift card = NO SALE for me

You know you say this almost every day and then be like I'm a  super customer, why me no banner?

Just kidding, but you didn't see ANYTHING that caught your attention????

Did you look at the featured vendors catalogues?

You sir, what do you render, mostly?

------------------------

@dreamfarmer or anyone else with a edju-micated guess, do you think I could affect the distant objects enough to have their appearance simplified? I'd love to almost drop down to 'shaded textures' on distant objects.

It's be great if I could lose detail in distant objects. Right now, everyone is using some kind of blurring/depth effect to simulate...depth. I would love to tinker with color- or lack of vivid color and texture detail as new option. Think Optimizer could be tweaked in this manner?

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

You can turn on Depth of Field in your camera settings, no script needed. 

That said, I believe a 'strip all maps' option in the script would limit the detail of a model to its 'surface' base/diffuse colors, which would reduce texture. You can also turn down 'vivid color' by messing with Saturation and the settings around it in the Tone Mapping section of Render Settings, again no script needed there. 

But wouldn't that affect ALL items and don't I have to pick them one by one? this says it can pick out which items are closest to the camera on its own...

He started a thread for this release - gonna pose this question there...

Thanky, Dreamy.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2017

You can turn on Depth of Field in your camera settings, no script needed. 

That said, I believe a 'strip all maps' option in the script would limit the detail of a model to its 'surface' base/diffuse colors, which would reduce texture. You can also turn down 'vivid color' by messing with Saturation and the settings around it in the Tone Mapping section of Render Settings, again no script needed there. 

The reason it's sitting in my cart is that the vendor says it also speeds up maneuvering around the viewport. The reason (well one of several) I haven't pulled the trigger yet is because the extra 20% off Barbarian Queen new releases when you buy two or more isn't working.

ETA: never mind, it's working, just have a little trouble with my math.

Post edited by Odaa on
    avxp said:

Ahhhh I see, you are damn near buying EVERYTHING. I thought because I did graphic comics, I'd have some unique challenges and thus find myself needing a bigger and constantly re-freshing library.

But damn, you render A LOT AND you don't have any limitations by style or genre (I'm guessing) so yeah, EVERY deal is probably SOMETHING you could use.

The Centaur looked cool, and the initial deal was solid, but I don't have any story that requires a centaur so.....I let that one pass by.....

-----

So...yes. if I was able to do pure renders, I think I would be on the news robbing a bank.

Just when I thought I was pretty safe only looking at recent releases, that vendor went and created WEAR THEM ALL.

Hope Daz gave that PA some real love. I can't imagine what a firestorm of sales that 1 product has created.

avxp said:

-----

I also have a graphic comic in the works and it's sci-fi, and almost ANYTHING could be used in a creative way with it. But I'm also doing art as prints and client stuff like book/comic/CD covers, so you never know what you're going to need! I'd definitely save a lot if I waited for something I absolutely needed and paid full price for it, but having all this extra stuff at great prices can spark my imagination. Of course, I'm going broke between clients... I don't have a "real" job (or husband to support me) so I have to start really cutting myself off! 

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited April 2017

Just confirming, for those that got the April promo exclusive offer for Daz originals orange banner thing, that I've been able to use it in 2 different sales now.  It's good until the end of April, for me anyways.

One of the items in the newly posted Barbarian sale accessories has a 90% discount (instead of 50), and it was a Daz original to boot.  DARN STRAIGHT I snagged it!

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,078

I've been able to use it in 2 different sales now. 

Aha! You're the one who used mine! laughlaughlaugh 

edited April 2017
    Ati said:

I'm just happy to see that finally got an exclusive offer in the 'exclusive offer' subeection of my account section.  I've been clicking on that button for a couple of months now, and it's always been empty, until this week anyways...

I've been buying a LOT of stuff on sale lately, so I'm wondering if sales volume has anything to do with how the Daz team picks who gets which offers when.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,711

Just confirming, for those that got the April promo exclusive offer for Daz originals orange banner thing, that I've been able to use it in 2 different sales now.  It's good until the end of April, for me anyways.

Mine expires at April 28.

Ati said:

I'm just happy to see that finally got an exclusive offer in the 'exclusive offer' subeection of my account section.  I've been clicking on that button for a couple of months now, and it's always been empty, until this week anyways...

I've been buying a LOT of stuff on sale lately, so I'm wondering if sales volume has anything to do with how the Daz team picks who gets which offers when.

I've been buying a lot too, lately, and I got it too.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited April 2017
    Ati said:

In light of avxp's remarks (copied below)  I have removed my comment

Uh. lokks like a kind if meh sales day. .....for a mere 8% off a gift card = NO SALE for me

You know you say this almost every day and then be like I'm a  super customer, why me no banner?

Just kidding, but you didn't see ANYTHING that caught your attention????

Did you look at the featured vendors catalogues?

You sir, what do you render, mostly?

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    Taozen said:

Mine too.  April 28th, 11.59 PM...

Probably a good thing.  I'm not sure my wallet could survive the extra 2 days!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2017
    avxp said:

8%, i never bother for anything less than15%; if i run out of credit, well good for me as i only use credit. If i have to buy multiples then the % i require goes up.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Nope. I've been sitting out almost a week now, and I got it. Purchased one or two things, but cutting way back. I'm not a fan of 30% off new releases which trigger discounts on stores, as the stores were 60% or more in MM, so I have no reason to shop those again. So I don't think it's related at all to current buying habits- maybe from MM, but not current.

edited April 2017

Hm, what's going on here? Every time I browse a page in this thread I get a notification from IE about cross-site scripting, which could be malicious. I don't see it in other threads.

ie_cross-site.jpg
    447 x 50 - 10K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    Taozen said:

Mine too.  April 28th, 11.59 PM...

Probably a good thing.  I'm not sure my wallet could survive the extra 2 days!

Probably, I'm about to use it for the third (or is it 4th?) time now...

Uh. looks like a kind if meh sales day. .....for a mere 8% off a gift card = NO SALE for me

I know the original poster removed his/her post, but I'd like to comment on this anyway, because I think it's a valid feeling/opinion and one DAZ should, (and does,) pay attention to. That's marketing 101: find out what your target market wants and give it to them. (Why do you think female skimpwear is so prevalent in the store? Because it sells! lol) And what your target market considers "meh" is equally important.

When I bought my first content product for Daz Studio, it was toward the end of a PA Festival, followed immediately by the PC Anniversary, and then the end of the year holiday sales. When January came around, I was surprised to find the "ordinary" sales promos came out every other day. For whatever reasons, for the last year or so, DAZ has been coming out with a new sales promo almost every single day, including Saturday and Sunday. In my opinion, these daily sales are what led to the amazing stacking discounts we customers all know and love; Stacking discounts I'm pretty sure were not intentional. DAZ is getting better at not having the same artists featured in multiple running promos where stacking discounts could occur. And as we've seen these past couple of days, quick to remove items from special categories when stacking does happen.

As disappointing as it is, I can't really blame DAZ for plugging the leaks. They are a business and underneath it all, businesses are all about making money. I suspect promos with two or three purchases required to trigger discounts, or extra discounts, is part of their effort to curb the unintentional stacking. If you have to buy four new releases at a mere 30% discount to trigger an 83% discount on an older product, will you do it? I won't, not unless I'm flush with cash and I really, really want all four of those new releases!

I also think every single sales promo is testing the market. Where is the sweet spot for the customer base as a whole? Will they buy two new releases to get an 8% discount on gift cards? Will they buy a new release to get an extra 10% discount on flash sales? (As this seems to be the standard these days, I think the answer to that question was yes...) Which offer works better: Buy X new release(s) and get an extra 20%, (DAZ Maths,) discount; or Buy X new release(s) and get 60% discount, rather than 50% without the new release(s) purchase? And so on.

Of course, the customer base is always changing: New people discovering Daz Studio who need just about everything; veteran users who have thousands of products who are more discriminating in what they'll buy, because they already have multiple versions of "everything;" and every body in between. Not to mention we all have such varied needs and tastes. Which brings me back the "meh" comment.

If DAZ wants to require multiple purchases to trigger the higher/additional discounts for related items and/or featured artists' catalogs, they really should include more items into the promos. I'd like to see them go back to an every other day promo schedule, and essentially combine the new releases that would otherwise require two daily promos. If they create a themed promo for half of the products, then add a section titled Additional New Releases, they could include items that don't have anything to do with that theme. It would take some pressure off the marketing department to come up with a theme for disparate items that need to be released, and allow them to include items that round out the genres, making it less likely that a large protion of the customer base will think the sale is "meh." And it would condition the customer base to check out all the promos whether or not the theme appealed to them because something in the Additional New Releases could be that "something" one was looking for.

To be honest, I don't think it will happen. DAZ has the sales figures to back up their marketing decisions. With daily sales promos happening for more than a year now, I suspect the data shows DAZ makes more money with daily sales in spite of those who think one sale or another is "meh."

P.S. Sorry about the tome. I am a writer, after all...
    wink

This discussion has been closed.