Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I love G2 figures because they animate well. Only M4-G2 figures do. I refuse to spend the time required to correct every post/animation for G3, because it's not worth the labor.

I've been building up my G3 catalog since late last fall when the crazy sales started, but then was hit with all the rumors of G4. I'll continue using G2 for all my animation since G3 is just broken and not worth fighting with. For stills, I'll probably be using both. I just bought Anagenessis during MM, so will use that to help. While only using 3Delight at the beginning, after this current game project, I'll probably use a lot more Iray. Anagenessis, Sketchy, and the fact that LineRender9000 works with Sketchy are what tipped me over. If I'm going to bang my head against a lighting system, I guess I'll choose the current one. (And hope I don't have to eat my words.)

I'm probably not the only one that started to use DAZ years ago, quit for years due to frustration (to be honest, also partly due to severe prolonged illness but I think I would have kept up if DAZ wasn't so non-intuitive), a few years passed and tried again, quit - man, the software is a PAIN to use with no documentation, then came back one more time. I'm going to bang against this wall until I conquer it this time. Luckily the documentation has improved (don't laugh; it has), there are way more tutorials, and best of all -  I found this thread. I feel as if I am finally making progress. Now if I had managed to do that back when I started, gosh, I'd be so proficient by now, lol.

And if I come and go at times, I have a chronic illness, a daughter with Asperger's/HFA in college - about to graduate, yay!!!!, and a FIL with dementia that I'm responsible for. I often have to deal with the daughter's or Dad's crises before I can turn my focus back to DAZ for any length of time. And, yes, I am going to get back to animating again as soon as we make it through the current crisis (actually we have multiples atm) and will re-document my workflow then. It's sad, but I keep firing up my rendering machines thinking that I'll get to correct some animations and set rendering going and then life happens., Actually life often happens while I'm trying to write a post. WTB a vacation. ;)

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

The geometry of G3 is a lot more complex - and that causes a host of problems... 

Autofollow clothing doesn't fit as well. (But fitting older clothes to G2 first and then fitting to G3 from there fixes a LOT of problems...) 

You end up using geografts instead of UVs to use legacy materials... and that doesn't always work as well as just mapping a different UV... 

Poses don't convert very well from earlier generations. 

If you had a lot of Generation 4 and 3 content, G2 tends to be easier and less expensive to get your previous content working with. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I've been playing around with moving generation 3 (V3, M3) figures, characters, skin maps and content to Genesis 3. If I can get a clone shape, morphs, materials and clothes from Victoria 4 to work fine with Genesis 3...  Heck.. Genesis 3 MALE... 

The idea that any one generation is that much superior to any other generation seems to be just a matter of subjective opinion and personal preference, to me. But... I have focused a lot of my DAZ purchases toward utilities that make that kind of cross generation flexibility practical - and that wasn't always cheap. 

I'm trying to lean toward utilities also. I'm hoping to have time soon to really play with some of the things I've bought (and conquer GenX) and figure out what I need still. Is there a master list of such utilities somewhere or ones that you would recommend? I own all of GenX, except the GenX AddOn Gen3 Bundle, which I have wishlisted. I own quite a few auto-fit clones and have wish-listed those of Sickleyield that I don't have yet, I have some UV stuff and have wishlisted Cayman Studio's products, I have Wear Them All. Sometimes it's hard to tell which products overlap and which you really need.

Okay, I must quit avoidance behavior... I think I need more caffeine to deal with the "real world" today...

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

Definitely a lot of items in fast grab today that are geared more towards the older content. Having started with all new content G3 Not sure how mush of the older content to get if any at all.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    cismic said:

Definitely a lot of items in fast grab today that are geared more towards the older content. Having started with all new content G3 Not sure how mush of the older content to get if any at all.

One tip that may help- try to see the morphs (facial shape) and the materials (skin) as two different entitites when you look at a character. Why?
    1. Because with the different utilities, some transfer specific aspects of it (such as the morphs) so if you like the morphs, you can transfer it to the generation you like

2. Because you don't have to like the materials- if you like the look of the face structure, slap someone else's materials on there. 

It takes a bit of thought to remember to separate the two when you're looking at a new release, you know me, the first thing I look at are the eyebrows (and now, frankly, the lip lines. Does it blend smoothly into the face?)  So if I like the character's appearance but not the materials, I have to hit the pause button and remember the materials don't matter. This is, of course, for figures that are on sale. I have to like BOTH the materials and morphs if it's 50% or less (and I rarely do those now. I have a ton of characters and don't need anymore.) 

I remember testing the products by 3DVigitimes for tweaking skin materials. Does anyone have any samples for this generation 4 converter? I tried it a long time ago and I liked it. I don't remember what I rendered/ can't find it. Which reminds me:

TIP: When using conversion tools, make separate folders for your change-overs or do it per tool. Wish I had done that for all my experiments. DUH. I guess it can be done by tool (which if you have a Genesis 3 Converter for a Generation 4, you know everyone in there is a Generation 4) or you could do it by generation. So here's a question- how do you file your conversions?

If you need a smile, see Putter The Squirrel. Aka, PuttPutt.

Well, I just want to make images weather still or in animations as I have lots of varying ideas. For distance shots I don't think it matters if you use other items besides G3. And, some close ups. When I first started I got the V4 with ++ for inexpensive.  I've used some of those in renders. And, as an example of good skin on the cheap for genesis 2 https://www.daz3d.com/fw-lucille. So, lots of good buys depending on need and usage. :-)

cismic said:

Well, I just want to make images weather still or in animations as I have lots of varying ideas. For distance shots I don't think it matters if you use other items besides G3. And, some close ups. When I first started I got the V4 with ++ for inexpensive.  I've used some of those in renders. And, as an example of good skin on the cheap for genesis 2 https://www.daz3d.com/fw-lucille. So, lots of good buys depending on need and usage. :-)

With all this imagination am I the only one that sees patterns in our purchases. I've not done anything with this set as I've just started as time permits to 

place cameras get lights and figure out what I want to do. But, when looking at this from above, I couldn't help notice the pattern.

Also what is a good way to blend each area so they look like they belong to each other? 

Here are Wisteria Lane and Wisteria River both of which I need to start playing with. Will be using terradome 3 as well. 

Secret River Top.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 1M
    Wisteria 08.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Working on some kitbashing and I did a tree inventory of what I've got. So many tree varieties! Here, this is a link to a giant render with all of 'em. You know what I don't have any of yet?

Chestnuts! BRB.

Actually, does anybody have any tips on making the Witch House look better? I was trying to retexture it to make it 1.) iray and 2.) I dunno customized or something.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Novica said:

Rane (G3F)      Daria Dress (G3F)    Manhattan Hair and Newsboy Cap (Gen3F) 

The first thing I checked out on the hair was the removal of the cap, and yes, you can. It's a nice, short hairstyle. There's a discussion on the sale thread about another hair and how all the different parts add up, and frankly I never buy colors because OOT and Slosh have great hair shaders. I use Slosh's and will have to look at OOT's when I get time, I do own it. The point is, consider getting one of those and they quickly pay for themselves.

The Daria Dress has good movement and morphs. Put a top underneath it and that becomes family friendly, and depending on the camera view, you might not need to worry about the ultra high slit. I thought this would be a good elegant swimsuit cover (think of a mansion pool-party.) And it was bought yesterday when I got the great discounts. The thumbnails of the promo will show you the cute materials. Very tropical (but also includes an animal print, so great variety.) 

Rane's teeth need major tweaking, as green was used for one of the colors and they come across as extremely discolored. I reloaded her, just to be sure I hadn't done something drastic. This is the default, out of the box. Depending on your lights, they can really appear darkish brown/green. I tried with another set of lights, same thing. If someone else who has her can double check this (although I used the exact same lights I use on all my gals who look fine) I would appreciate it. I really like Rane, her eyebrows are different, she has dimples, and a very nice, unique face.

*Love* those teeth - it's so refreshing to see teeth that actually look like normal people's teeth and not ultra-bleached sunglasses-inducing unnatural-as-refined-sugar hollywood teeth. They can't be good for you!

(sorry, just blink in this thread and there are 300 unread posts!)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Novica said:
    I remember testing the products by 3DVigitimes for tweaking skin materials. Does anyone have any samples for this generation 4 converter? I tried it a long time ago and I liked it. I don't remember what I rendered/ can't find it. Which reminds me:

This is the Rob Elite texture converted with Iray Converter for Generation 4.

Rob Elite ISC Gen 4 Iray_001.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    DSDT said:
    Novica said:

Oh, that is SO COOL!!!! (and surprising.) That vendor was a genius for thinking of it! I wonder how well it sold. (Yep, I have it.) 

But the CC license stays with the item, the PA can never hold a copyright on the item, so anyone who bought the model could freely and legally share it with their friends or put in on sharecg for that matter, unless I'm misunderstanding the creative common license. Regardless, risky ground to walk on if you want to make a buck.

I think Creative Commons allows you to copyright your derivative work created from a Creative Commons base... 

So - this author can retain and enforce copyright on their unique derivative work creating a CGI 3D Android mascot model. 

But anyone else is free to make one too, and to sell it, and he can't stop THAT. He has a copyright on HIS specific creation - but that is it. 

Which is why Creative Commons and Copyleft is kind of a minefield. 

Depends on the licence:  A CC No Derivitives licence does NOT permit people to make derivitive works, and a CC No-Commercial licence does NOT permit people to sell it. It's always important to read the licence and don't just assume that because it's "Creative Commons" that means you can do what you like. Regardless, under all CC licences the originator of the work retains copyright.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Llynara said:
    Valandar said:

Talking about the bad archery poses... My older set of fantasy bows was a buyout, and I didn't do the promos for them. Imagine my dismay when those promos have possibly the worst archery poses I have seen to date...

https://www.daz3d.com/arcane-archery

I had that set too. Love the bows. No idea what's wrong or right in archery. Is there an accurate set of poses available?

@Novica Honey Bolt is cute! I've never seen her before. She's now on my wishlist!

I haven't seen any completely accurate archery poses yet.  Each package might have one or two somewhat accurate poses, but then the rest of the poses are for show not accuracy.  It would be nice if there was a package of nothing but accurate poses for the different bows available here.  Probably won't happen which is why I do my own poses each time I do an image using a bow.  At least, then, I know it's a correct pose.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Llynara said:
    Valandar said:

Talking about the bad archery poses... My older set of fantasy bows was a buyout, and I didn't do the promos for them. Imagine my dismay when those promos have possibly the worst archery poses I have seen to date...

I had that set too. Love the bows. No idea what's wrong or right in archery. Is there an accurate set of poses available?

@Novica Honey Bolt is cute! I've never seen her before. She's now on my wishlist!

I haven't seen any completely accurate archery poses yet.  Each package might have one or two somewhat accurate poses, but then the rest of the poses are for show not accuracy.  It would be nice if there was a package of nothing but accurate poses for the different bows available here.  Probably won't happen which is why I do my own poses each time I do an image using a bow.  At least, then, I know it's a correct pose.

Maybe YOU should create that pose product and become a PA.

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883
    barbult said:
    Llynara said:
    Valandar said:

I agree with barbult 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited April 2017
    barbult said:
    Llynara said:
    Valandar said:

These are a generation old  but they're atleast based on real archery.

https://www.daz3d.com/classic-recurve-bow-smart-prop-and-poses

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695

You can turn the D-Formers into morphs... then in each frame, you just adjust the morph - and you shouldn't have to recreate the wheel for every frame. You can make a couple of different D-formers that convert into morphs for the same area to give yourself more control too - the BIGGEST problem with D-formers is that they can distort the UV mesh in ways that are hard to control, so textures, maps, patterns can get distorted. 

A lot of times I buy a new product and realize it just automates some process I already know or is content that has a process I already know built into it. But... DAZ is a deep program - no matter what you learn about it, there are always going to be other areas of expertise in it you either don't know about, or aren't real competent in. I agree... I just started learning how to model my own content... and the more I learn about it, the more I realize I have to learn. I also sometimes do something and realize there was a better way to do it. I forgot who suggested turning limits off on short hair to be able to morph it into longer hair - but that was a brilliant idea that never crossed my mind. Another thing you can do sometimes is HIDE portions of an outfit... either morph it below the figure or hide parts of it by turning it off OR making the opacity of material zones 0... then kind of kit-bash your own outfit by putting another piece of content where you made the one piece disappear. So if you like the top of the Viking outfit and you can hide the skirt, you might be able to put another skirt on that character that flows better. 

Thinking outside the box with DAZ really expands your horizons. Heh. Realizing there IS no spoon. :D 

I was the *brilliant* person who came up with the idea of turning limits off hair teehee laugh I was away for like a day and 104 new posts here, yikes! I still have to learn subD, D-formers, and sooo many other things. I REALLY WANT A COMPREHENSIVE MANUAL! I've said that like a zillion times but all we get are ridiculously expensive video tutorials that focus on just one subject. I managed to get the shader tutorial for $18.00 during some probable glitch, but I haven't gotten a chance to see if it's even worth it yet...

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I had forgotten how beautiful this scene was, I just love the colors.

Great use of the poses, almost makes me want to do a render that is more modern

I don't remember seeing this but I also love the vintage and really like the black and white lines ones.

Love the pose and love the hair colors

jakiblue said:

the worst for me, is when an outfit is almost a direct copy of something from a video game or anime or something like that...and I'm not familiar with it. I buy it, use it, and someone says to me "oh that looks like [insert video game etc] !" and I look it up....and the outfit/prop/whatever is WAY too close for me to feel comfortable. There was a robot here in the store....I bought it cos it was cute, discovered it was ALMOST a direct rip off of a robot in some anime......it got changed a little bit after it was released....and I request a refund because it was just too close for me to be happy with it. It bugs me when that happens, and I'm completely unaware of the original.  

Nath said:
    jakiblue said:

I've learnt that the vast majority of archery poses here in the daz store are completly wrong. Given that I'm not an archer and have never even held a bow, I wouldn't have a clue, which bugs me. I've learnt to show the poses to my hubby who has been "archering" (ha) since he was a kid and he tells me whether they are correct or not.  

Nath said:

I'm sorry I have to rant a bit. Why do archery poses so often have the arrow on the wrong side of the bow? This set for example: https://www.daz3d.com/i13-epic-archery-collection Yes, it's an oldie, but I see it in new sets - and in movies etc - as well, and it drives me up the wall. I'm hardly a proficient archer, but the first thing I learned was how to hold a bow and how to place the arrow. Hint: the pointy end goes over the hand that holds the bow, not swinging free over the thumb side... Most bows even have a little thingammie in the right place.

Disclaimer: there may be exotic trickshots or techniques that do it differently, and these modern bows where the arrow goes through the middle; well...

It's not quite an insta-non-buy for me, but if the pose can't be adapted it's an insta-return.

I try not to think about the many errors there undoubtedly are in things that I don't know anything about, and just hope I don't run into an expert when showing a render laugh

Yes! Like Kayless's Witcher characters. I have two of them but will definitely alter them enough to be unrecognizable unless I plan to make fan art for a comic convention. I wish PAs would let you know when they are creating fan art 3D models... 

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

@Wonderland - it *was* brilliant.

​A comprehensive manual would probably be a library of books. I really think the DAZ approach of giving away Studio and the Genesis starter packages along with the couple of tutorials is a pretty good, organic way to get people started. It is too bad the tutorials crash out on basic video cards... but... I found that as I was learning how to do things, I kind of came to a point where I was ready to learn the next step, and frequently there was a good YouTube tutorial that held my hand through that - right up to advanced shaders and UVs - which I now realize is a bridge step to doing your own content creation. That was the point where I realized I was going to have to start purchasing tutorials. Those are kind of hit and miss in quality. Fugazi's Genesis Bikini for Hexagon is kind of dated and not very professionally edited - there are scenes where the noise of him adjusting in his office chair makes him difficult to understand... and of course, when you have problems there isn't always a great way to get answers about what you did wrong with non-interactive learning.

I'd love a classroom learning environment like my Illustrator class... but the truth is, we're way ahead of the curve on 3D rendering. 10 years from now, it probably will be a standard part of most graphic arts degrees. So we're in uncharted territory for education on this product.

​Even Cal Arts seems kind of vague in their approach to 3D design and animation...

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/game-design

https://art.calarts.edu/programs/graphic-design/mfa

​But when you think about it - there are a lot of different arts disciplines we're trying to combine and learn, most of us as a hobby, with 3D graphic design and animation.

edited April 2017
    Valandar said:

Oh no, I have those... Does anyone have a sample of a correct archery pose? I know nothing about archery...

Edited as I realize there are samples right on this page LOL. I wrote this a few pages back!

Post edited by Wonderland on
    DSDT said:

A year ago everyone was complaining about G3 and saying that they had all their money and content invested in G2 and they had no desire to change to a new generation so quickly. I remember all the conversations. Personally, I had put together a mostly Freebie content library, and it was mostly G2 oriented, so I tended to agree. 

Over the last year, with the blowout sales, my G3 library is now as robust, if not more, than my G2 library - and I find myself moving stuff right past G2 to G3 with utilities like Cayman's UV sets and GenX2. 

And there is no doubt that renders of G3 take less effort to look better. 

And I don't know if you've noticed, but there aren't a lot of those, "I'll give up G2 when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands," conversations going on in the forums anymore. 

Same thing will happen whenever G4 does come out. Although worrying about THAT has been going on ever since last year, too. 

People don't like change... Windows, Office, Illustrator and Photoshop... whatever they use daily... they hate it when something changes and they feel it is just some trick to get them to spend more money. 

But then a year down the road, they feel the same way about whatever the new thing was that they used to hate, most often. 

I'm as guilty as anyone. I still grumble about the supscription only CC model Adobe has now. I'd rather pay $600 each for perpetual licenses to a static version of Photoshop and Illustrator and have it and know I can still run it 20 years from now rather than pay for it as a service. 

I think the grumbling stopped because it fell on deaf ears, not because we conceded. I still like Genesis 2 and Genesis better than Genesis 3 and the new tools like Anagenessis don't make me move towards G3, quite the opposite, they breathe new life into the older figures and I realize there's no give up my favorites. And then there's the free scripts to convert the pose files, the clothing filts better across the different older generations. And then there's the other weird thing, the biggest problem in my opinion, I find a lot of the newer G3F and G3M figures very bland and plastic looking. I don't know why that is, but I just don't like the looks of most of them.

I came to Daz from Poser last year when G3 was already happening and so have lots of G3 clothes but then got G2 and G1 characters when they were on super sale. G1 can wear all the V4 and below clothes I have, but is there a way to use G3 clothes on G2/G1, the reverse of wear them all? There is a way to make your own clones which I may try but wasn't sure if there was a reverse wear them all. 

cismic said:

Does anyone know what outfit she is wearing? 

IMG_3950.JPG
    1000 x 1300 - 291K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    DSDT said:

A year ago everyone was complaining about G3 and saying that they had all their money and content invested in G2 and they had no desire to change to a new generation so quickly. I remember all the conversations. Personally, I had put together a mostly Freebie content library, and it was mostly G2 oriented, so I tended to agree. 

Over the last year, with the blowout sales, my G3 library is now as robust, if not more, than my G2 library - and I find myself moving stuff right past G2 to G3 with utilities like Cayman's UV sets and GenX2. 

And I don't know if you've noticed, but there aren't a lot of those, "I'll give up G2 when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands," conversations going on in the forums anymore. 

Same thing will happen whenever G4 does come out. Although worrying about THAT has been going on ever since last year, too. 

People don't like change... Windows, Office, Illustrator and Photoshop... whatever they use daily... they hate it when something changes and they feel it is just some trick to get them to spend more money. 

But then a year down the road, they feel the same way about whatever the new thing was that they used to hate, most often. 

I'm as guilty as anyone. I still grumble about the supscription only CC model Adobe has now. I'd rather pay $600 each for perpetual licenses to a static version of Photoshop and Illustrator and have it and know I can still run it 20 years from now rather than pay for it as a service. 

I think the grumbling stopped because it fell on deaf ears, not because we conceded. I still like Genesis 2 and Genesis better than Genesis 3 and the new tools like Anagenessis don't make me move towards G3, quite the opposite, they breathe new life into the older figures and I realize there's no give up my favorites. And then there's the free scripts to convert the pose files, the clothing filts better across the different older generations. And then there's the other weird thing, the biggest problem in my opinion, I find a lot of the newer G3F and G3M figures very bland and plastic looking. I don't know why that is, but I just don't like the looks of most of them.

I came to Daz from Poser last year when G3 was already happening and so have lots of G3 clothes but then got G2 and G1 characters when they were on super sale. G1 can wear all the V4 and below clothes I have, but is there a way to use G3 clothes on G2/G1, the reverse of wear them all? There is a way to make your own clones which I may try but wasn't sure if there was a reverse wear them all. 

Yes, there are a couple of products like this:  https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s

barbult said:
    Novica said:

This is the Rob Elite texture converted with Iray Converter for Generation 4.

Oh, I really like him!!!! thanks.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I thought it was called the Lucille bikini, but I can't find that in the store. It's a pc product I remember. Searchign for the link. 

cismic said:

Does anyone know what outfit she is wearing? 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Ok here it is. It IS called Lucille's bikini....I searched "lucille" and it didn't come up. I searched "lucille bikini" and it didn't come up. :sigh: No idea what I am supposed to use for search terms to find it. 

https://www.daz3d.com/lucilles-bikini-for-genesis-2-females

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    DSDT said:

Valzheimer has G3 clones for G2 (male and female) and Sickleyield has clones that take those items to Genesis. Very handy. I used them a lot as I have characters across all generations. And after playing with V3 for most of this year, I can tell you that Generation 3 is still very usable and Generation 4 is definitely alive and kicking. Yeah, it takes some extra tweaking but totally worth it, Just don't depend on Smart Content, most of that stuff is in the Poser libraries.

I had forgotten how beautiful this scene was, I just love the colors.

Thank you. Tip on this one: render a scene, or buy a background product, then gaussian blur/blur it so you don't need to worry about depth of field. This particular one, the water and beyond is a background image. The beach and everything else IS depth of field. So I like combining blurred backgrounds and DOF scenes, they look seamless.

jakiblue said:

Ok here it is. It IS called Lucille's bikini....I searched "lucille" and it didn't come up. I searched "lucille bikini" and it didn't come up. :sigh: No idea what I am supposed to use for search terms to find it. 

https://www.daz3d.com/lucilles-bikini-for-genesis-2-females

That looks like good 40 - 50's bathing suit maybe even the 60's. 

This discussion has been closed.