Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited April 2017

Charity Hair in actual use, along with a very small portion of the Sacrament Iray version. I actually had to knock all the windows out (thus the framing) because it was not only taking FOREVER to render, it was doing bad things to my 58-day-old computer. May have to invoke a warranty soon. Anyhow, I kind of love the ancient old Gargoyle Hound. I spent a long time playing with textures for him but resolutely refused to load up LAMH because I'd already been crying enough over the picture. I also had a ton of problems with KindredArts' Iray Decal Kit, which I tried (and failed) to use to make the shoes muddy like Aeon Soul's pants. Click for big w/ detail.

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Here's what I'm looking at- in case anyone is interested.

The Hip Hop outfits  (male  and   female)  have got my attention. I like the pants on the gals (take a good look- long pockets like on cargo pants), and the top on the guys. (Nice wrinkles, nice length. Pair with other pants and you have a winner! The pants aren't my favorite- but at least they don't have a stiff, bulging crotch. They can be used for crowd shots or in general. The overall skin tight look, nah, not my thing.)  The shoes are decent on both, the male has a hat, and the gal's top can be layered with a skinz corset under it (if you want family friendly. It would still make a decent beach top, either way.) 

If you are getting the Pro bundle today (Dante 7) with the gift card, you can turn around and come back and buy those two things with the gc. And they're older items, so you can use your PC+ vendor code on those too, and drop them each $3 more.

So I did the Pro Bundle with the Lifeguard Outfit (had to do one that isn't a DO)  and the DO PC+ code ($6) so it's $23.75 and $8.98. (But another 20% for my gift card that I already had makes it $19 and $7.18)  The Lifeguard Outfit is for males and females, has sunglasses, shirts, swimsuits, whistle, lifesaving board. You can shader all the clothing and use the outfits for other scenes.

While in Nikisatez's store, note the bedroom. The doors open and close, and SO DO THE WINDOW CURTAINS. The walls are all separate. Use them for other scenes. I support vendors who do this and buy more of their products- thank you @nikisatez! This comes to $8.99 and for that, it's a steal! Since I bought the gift card today (24% off) I couldn't put that in the same cart as the card, you can't use store credit to buy a gift card. So the first order was the gift card, Pro Bundle and Lifeguard Outfit (any non-DO will do) then the second order, using the 24% off Gift Card , was Hip Hop, a character, and the bedroom.

Since it's more than one of the eligible items, the Hip Hop items boot up to 50% off, plus 10%BB, then 24% Gift Card discount.) Without the vendor PC+ code, those came to:  Hip Hop outfits $6.29 and Bedroom $8.99  I've also got FW Raymond in the cart and he's $5.65. (He's also a DO, so be careful adding him to the cart if you're trying to get $6 off the Pro Bundle. IF you're doing a second order, it may be better to have him in the second one.)  When applying my PC+ vendor code (the one where you need $18 worth of items) my prices are now:

Raymond $4.40 (x .76% as using store credit gotten at 24% off) is $3.34
    Hip Hop Outfits $4.90  (x .76% as using store credit gotten at 24% off) is $3.72
    Pure Luxury Bedroom $7.02  (x .76% as using store credit gotten at 24% off) is $5.33

So I am getting a character, two outfits, and a set for $21.21. Average- $5.30 a piece. 

If you can afford the Dante Pro Bundle at $23.75 and want a cheapie item for the second one, Divamakeup pointed out Glamour Pinup so you can spend more on the gift card. If you aren't a bonus buyer, it really it pays off today.  

So what are you finding? Tell people about it! 

edited April 2017

Oh no, my cutie I've had wishlisted for a long time is in Fast Grab (which has changed, btw) Love this little tank!  Great for a child's toy. And it has four expressions/poses- be sure and take a peek at the thumbnails.

Khory also has a light set in Fast Grab, for those starting to doodle with Iray or who want to expand their lighting options. I use Dumor's lighting all the time and love both the Apocalyptic ones, and his Old Garden Structures is very nice, I already showcased it. Very detailed. I'm glad I thought to uncheck the Hide What I Own, or I wouldn't have known to mention these in Fast Grab. Surf in, great stuff there today!

Post edited by Novica on

Oh wow, look at the adorable braided updo on this one! (Look at the thumbnails)  Reyna Hair

I don't think we've showcased Upscale Shopper yet. (I don't have it) It's a DO. Anyone have renders? Again, tighter legs than I like, but there are wrinkles, both in front and back, and the bag has a nice variety of textures.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Your tank link goes to the Shanghai poses....

edited April 2017

Charity Hair in actual use, along with a very small portion of the Sacrament Iray version. I actually had to knock all the windows out (thus the framing) because it was not only taking FOREVER to render, it was doing bad things to my 58-day-old computer. May have to invoke a warranty soon. Anyhow, I kind of love the ancient old Gargoyle Hound. I spent a long time playing with textures for him but resolutely refused to load up LAMH because I'd already been crying enough over the picture. I also had a ton of problems with KindredArts' Iray Decal Kit, which I tried (and failed) to use to make the shoes muddy like Aeon Soul's pants. Click for big w/ detail.

Drop Kindred Arts a line on his thread over in the commercial section, he is very good about helping if you are having an issue. I just used his decals and wasn't having any issues with the dirt but if I remember correctly, there were a couple of steps and it took me a couple of tries (I am terrible about reading the manual first, I like to play with stuff first and read the manual if I have issues lol)

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Your tank link goes to the Shanghai poses....

Fixed it. I had the recurring problem of "page not found" when I tried to post the link correction the first time, and thought I'd pasted the right one in. Anyone else experiencing that problem? You'll be writing on a post, finish it, and when you click Post Comment it won't do a thing?

I think when I had to repost the post I'd already checked on the light set. Thanks for telling me, I edited and fixed it. 

Must be something in the air lol.  Having issues at work with things working right as well.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    edited April 2017

I have https://www.daz3d.com/pure-luxury-bedroom-scene. I find that with camera in the room, things look grainy. I've been playing around with different lighting schemeas to see what works. https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/331271.  I have some other renders I'm working on with this room as well. Seems to be grainy so, have to figure out what's up with that.  With all the sales going on. Excel spread sheet can be your friend. :-) 

Test bedroom 002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by cismic on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I have a 2GB 750ti and a 32gb i5. LAMH is buggy and crash prone. It has a lot of potential, but I *never* use it. A lot of the problem is in what is described here. You've got to keep tweaking with it, and it is so prone to crashing, you end up losing your adjustments and it just becomes more trouble than it is worth. It is very resource intensive. 

I had some positive results with it, but it took so much effort. 

@cismic   Are you just trying to make me feel good by posting a bad link too?  wink  That doesn't go to a render. You're so thoughtful LOL! 

When I get grainy, the first thing I check is to see if I have the time and samples turned up in the Render tab (under Progressive) because you may be cutting off before it's done? 

Novica said:

@cismic   Are you just trying to make me feel good by posting a bad link too?  wink  That doesn't go to a render. You're so thoughtful LOL! 

When I get grainy, the first thing I check is to see if I have the time and samples turned up in the Render tab (under Progressive) because you may be cutting off before it's done? 

I removed the space at the end of the url. Link works now. :-)

Now to get my signature working with the forums. :-)

Not sure if this is the right place, but most seem knowledgeable with DAZ. :-) 

I went to check out this product and it mentioned https://www.daz3d.com/kailani-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s encrypted content?

What are implications of that?  Don't want the sony drm thing repeating with DAZ. Any place to read up on this. Do, we loose our rights to use after a bit? etc.

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Anyone have both dubious hallway and the curious hallway and what's the difference between them?  

https://www.daz3d.com/dubious-hallway https://www.daz3d.com/a-curious-hallway

I have the dubious one, and I can't find a difference between it and the curious  one.... So I was wondering if the addons for the curious one works for the dubious one? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Anyone have both dubious hallway and the curious hallway and what's the difference between them?  

I have the dubious one, and I can't find a difference between it and the curious  one.... So I was wondering if the addons for the curious one works for the dubious one? 

Several years ago when I tested this, Dubious Hallway did take Curious Hallway textures. Jack has been updating some model geometry, which breaks some texture sets, so I don't know if they still work or not. You can always return it if it doesn't.

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    barbult said:

Several years ago when I tested this, Dubious Hallway did take Curious Hallway textures. Jack has been updating some model geometry, which breaks some texture sets, so I don't know if they still work or not. You can always return it if it doesn't.

Thanks Barb

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    cismic said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but most seem knowledgeable with DAZ. :-) 

I went to check out this product and it mentioned https://www.daz3d.com/kailani-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s encrypted content?

What are implications of that?  Don't want the sony drm thing repeating with DAZ. Any place to read up on this. Do, we loose our rights to use after a bit? etc.

In short: you have to install it using DAZ Connect and you can only put it in the prescribed place, no rearranging directory folders. You have to be online to activate Connect, but from what I understand you don't have to be online to use encrypted items (unless you have changed anything on your hardware, then the install needs to re-verify you're legit). Some people have had problems with re-activation of Connect when the store is down, others were fine.

After a year, encrypted Connect items can also be downloaded manually or with DIM, and are like regular items once more.

There is an official thread on Connect/encryption here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65509/daz-connect-faq/p1

There is another thread which keeps track of when Connect items were released, and thus when they are freed from encryption. The thread also keeps track of what items are encrypted when they hit the store, so people can avoid/wishlist them for later: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/89246/get-your-encrypted-daz-connect-content-here-thread/p1

I don't use Connect myself, but I have bought a few items once they were freed from encryption and I could install them the way I like.

If the encryption expires after a year, I have way less of a problem with it. It is Daz's way of ensuring that content doesn't end up on Torrents immediately the day it is released. I can see the reason why they would be interested in that. The fact that they let the encryption expire after the fact seems fair, too. The people who are going to pirate, are going to pirate... and the people who want to be legitimate, are going to be legitimate...

Generally I don't support DRM for the same reasons you see in some of the signatures here on the forum - but this seems like a more reasonable approach to it than many IP owners take.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Jakiblue's Top 3 Picks for March 2017

1. Slide3D Goth Boots - oh good gravy, these BOOTS! I've had them on the wishlist since they came out and was able to nab them in that shoe sale we had a while back. They are absolutely fabulous! I used them recently and was stoked with how they turned out. Example 01
    2. Beddy Bear - this one is an oldie that came over from RDNA. It's a texture add on set for the thursday's child - deaddy bear product (which I will probably showcase later on). I love this pack - it turns the creepy deaddy bear into an ultra cute teddy bear, perfect for kids AND adults, as my render example for it shows. I've used it quite a bit.  Example 01
    3. Myrtle for Star 2.0 - ooohhhh she is gorgeous! I love star, but I ADORE Hinkeypunk's Myrtle for her. She is perfect.  Example 01
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Novica said:

Here's what I'm looking at- in case anyone is interested.

The Hip Hop outfits  (male  and   female)  have got my attention. I like the pants on the gals (take a good look- long pockets like on cargo pants), and the top on the guys. (Nice wrinkles, nice length. Pair with other pants and you have a winner! The pants aren't my favorite- but at least they don't have a stiff, bulging crotch. They can be used for crowd shots or in general. The overall skin tight look, nah, not my thing.)  The shoes are decent on both, the male has a hat, and the gal's top can be layered with a skinz corset under it (if you want family friendly. It would still make a decent beach top, either way.) 

If you are getting the Pro bundle today (Dante 7) with the gift card, you can turn around and come back and buy those two things with the gc. And they're older items, so you can use your PC+ vendor code on those too, and drop them each $3 more.

So I did the Pro Bundle with the Lifeguard Outfit (had to do one that isn't a DO)  and the DO PC+ code ($6) so it's $23.75 and $8.98. (But another 20% for my gift card that I already had makes it $19 and $7.18)  The Lifeguard Outfit is for males and females, has sunglasses, shirts, swimsuits, whistle, lifesaving board. You can shader all the clothing and use the outfits for other scenes.

While in Nikisatez's store, note the bedroom. The doors open and close, and SO DO THE WINDOW CURTAINS. The walls are all separate. Use them for other scenes. I support vendors who do this and buy more of their products- thank you @nikisatez! This comes to $8.99 and for that, it's a steal! Since I bought the gift card today (24% off) I couldn't put that in the same cart as the card, you can't use store credit to buy a gift card. So the first order was the gift card, Pro Bundle and Lifeguard Outfit (any non-DO will do) then the second order, using the 24% off Gift Card , was Hip Hop, a character, and the bedroom.

Since it's more than one of the eligible items, the Hip Hop items boot up to 50% off, plus 10%BB, then 24% Gift Card discount.) Without the vendor PC+ code, those came to:  Hip Hop outfits $6.29 and Bedroom $8.99  I've also got FW Raymond in the cart and he's $5.65. (He's also a DO, so be careful adding him to the cart if you're trying to get $6 off the Pro Bundle. IF you're doing a second order, it may be better to have him in the second one.)  When applying my PC+ vendor code (the one where you need $18 worth of items) my prices are now:

Raymond $4.40 (x .76% as using store credit gotten at 24% off) is $3.34
    Hip Hop Outfits $4.90  (x .76% as using store credit gotten at 24% off) is $3.72
    Pure Luxury Bedroom $7.02  (x .76% as using store credit gotten at 24% off) is $5.33

So I am getting a character, two outfits, and a set for $21.21. Average- $5.30 a piece. 

If you can afford the Dante Pro Bundle at $23.75 and want a cheapie item for the second one, Divamakeup pointed out Glamour Pinup so you can spend more on the gift card. If you aren't a bonus buyer, it really it pays off today.  

So what are you finding? Tell people about it! 

Be careful about the Hip Hop Outfits if you don't use Connect to download/install - both are Encrypted Daz Connect ONLY!

edited April 2017

I have all the Top Picks added to the summary list of each person's picks (Jan-March) and also in the list of links that go to each person's post. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

You are the most organized person I've ever met Novica - you even beat out my mother (and believe me, that is saying something LOL ) 

Novica said:

I have all the Top Picks added to the summary list of each person's picks (Jan-March) and also in the list of links that go to each person's post. 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited April 2017
    barbult said:

I'm on strike against buying animals until I get a 3d dog. I swear we'll see a duck billed platypus before I ever see a mil cat or dog. wink

Im not a fan of complicated lamh presets. I want to just click and have it work.

When I saw that the product page said the Squirrel had Iray Presets, I assumed all that hocus pocus to get the fur to render in Iray had been solved. NOT SO! It is as much of a hassle as all the previous furry critters. Now I discovered that after waiting minutes for the scene to save, when I reopen the scene later, the fur is gone. This could be a bug or maybe I am doing something wrong. The jury is still out on that one. This may have to be returned.

I haven't tested out the squirrel yet so I don't know about difficulties.  As for lamh fur disappearing, did you take the fiberhair out of the lamh group before saving?  You need to take it out of the group it you want to keep it.  I usually take it out and create a new group of my own for it and name it something like Iray Fur.  If it stays in the default group, then it always gets deleted.  I'm not sure why.  I think this is one of the issues that might get fixed in the lamh 2 but I don't remember positively if that's what Kendall said awhile back.

edit: added the word in red that I forgot.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on

Anyone have tips on the best way to do backgrounds for relatively wide angle outdoor shots from ground level with a horizon? It also seems to be tricky if you're just using an HDRI light source without any spotlights.

​Cycloramas and backdrops have huge limitations - but creating an entire, convincing Terradome landscape (with some vegetation that is convincing) eats up video memory very quickly.

jakiblue said:

You are the most organized person I've ever met Novica - you even beat out my mother (and believe me, that is saying something LOL ) 

Novica said:

Out of necessity, in this case.  wink I forget from month to month what I picked, much less in the Fall trying to remember what I chose in January LOL!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

A little Dante 7 beefcake, in case you're on the fence about him....

Here's FWSA Noah HD for Dante 7. He's a cutie. Reminds me a lot of Patrick Swayze here. I've got more renders on my art thread, as well as the Dante 7 thread

(Click for more hunkiness.)

Anyone have tips on the best way to do backgrounds for relatively wide angle outdoor shots from ground level with a horizon? It also seems to be tricky if you're just using an HDRI light source without any spotlights.

I've never done instancing, but that would be one solution wouldn't it? Change your camera settings in Parameters for wide angle for the set of your choice, add instances. You can do a blurred background plane to add depth to that too. 

Congratulations to Deathbycanon for "One Last Breath" which is the featured render in the Platinum Club Plus newsletter! 

BTW, I'm sure I'm the only one who didn't know this, I read someone's post (and I would name them if I remembered, sorry!) that you can click your wheel in the middle of your mouse to open new tabs. Really helps you surf faster, instead of hitting the back arrow all the time or having to right click to open a new window/tab. Takes a bit of practice though, I kept doing it the old way and closing the tab!

Noah looks really good Llynara! 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2017

Thanks and congrats @deathbycanon ! Great render! 

I'll have to try the mouse wheel thingie, I don't do that either LOL

EDIT: OMG, so simple and it works. And I'm a techie. I should've known this one. LOL

Post edited by Llynara on
This discussion has been closed.