Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    isidorn said:
    Novica said:

I know some of you don't always get the PC newsletter, so do note you get the Marcoor Control Room for 99 cents when you have another of todays new PC items in the cart. (NOT the poses, the actual Control Room.)  Frankly, IMO the poses for it aren't that unique, nothing you wouldn't already have in other pose packs.

Just a note on poses. I think most of us buy poses because they'll save time. A time saver with a pose pack like these for the control room, is that it puts the character in place in the scene. Especially useful when the character sits and/or interacts with something in the scene. The sitting character in the main promo image for the pose set is a good example. And at PC+ prices it might still be a good deal, even if the poses themselves aren't that unique.

People use poses straight out of the box? 

I think that's rare. As you say, there's always some tweaking needed to be done. But it's good starting points (that saves time).

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Yeah, you reminded me why I have Star and the Patty Bundle in my wishlist... I basically want both for the clothes. Maybe I should just buy the Patty clothes and skip Star and Patty. :) 

That thing on the lip... I think that is actually an "artifact" from the photo-reference for the skin map. I'm not sure if it is something to due with the way the lipstick is put on, but this is something that looks completely natural to me and that I feel like I see in a lot of women wearing makeup. You're talking about the line that runs from one corner of the mouth to the other just slightly above the bottom of the bottom lip, right? 

I think that is a detail that enhances photorealism, not an error, from what I see in the picture above. 

There is a line where the texture on real lips goes from larger to smaller, as it blends back intot he face. Cover it with heavy red lipstick, and it looks like the render above. 

I agree, that's the first thing I thought of.  I see this a lot, and its even noticible on some people without liptstick on especially if that part is more skin colored or more lip colored.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695
    barbult said:

Talisken by herself is too much for me, but she mixes nicely with other morphs. This image in my gallery is 33% each of Talisken, Genevieve 7, and FWSA Chastity. All the products I used are linked in the gallery.

Wow, stunning! What are the feathers on her head? I feel like I may have it, but I have so much content now, I have no idea what I actually have...

Kerya said:

Well, I spent a ton on Cookie stuff today. I already had her and some other things from RDNA days but decided to get back into her. She's cute and has a lot of morphs but lacking lip, fingernail and toenail surfaces to color them!

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/we-got-nails-/76848

- Conforming finger- and toenails for Cookie (cr2)
    (with a bodymorph to make long fingernails)
    - Conforming finger- and toenails for Chip (cr2)
    - 6 natural Mat Poses (pz2) to match Cookie &
    Chip's basic skintones
    - 26 colour Mat Poses (pz2) 

Ah, great, thanks! I was going to postwork it in but that looks great. Looks like lips still need to be done in postwork or on texture first, weird there isn't a surface for that...

edited March 2017

Yeah, you reminded me why I have Star and the Patty Bundle in my wishlist... I basically want both for the clothes. Maybe I should just buy the Patty clothes and skip Star and Patty. :) 

That thing on the lip... I think that is actually an "artifact" from the photo-reference for the skin map. I'm not sure if it is something to due with the way the lipstick is put on, but this is something that looks completely natural to me and that I feel like I see in a lot of women wearing makeup. You're talking about the line that runs from one corner of the mouth to the other just slightly above the bottom of the bottom lip, right? 

I think that is a detail that enhances photorealism, not an error, from what I see in the picture above. 

There is a line where the texture on real lips goes from larger to smaller, as it blends back intot he face. Cover it with heavy red lipstick, and it looks like the render above. 

I have played around with creating characters since V3 (and never published because I couldn't figure out how to do the inj/rem in Poser LOL), but you need the lipstick texture to stay within certain boundaries or it just looks weird. I'm trying to create a G3 character and I noticed you have to do the lipstick exactly right or it looks too sharp at the edges or has problems like above. That looks like a Photoshop error to me and the bottom of the lip should have been fixed with the cloning tool...  That white stripe at the very bottom is what I'm talking about, not the line indentation and the lipstick itself is not fully covering the mouth on the layer below. Even at the top, it is not blended well. This looks like a rushed job to me...  

Or wait, is that photo the character texture or a real face? If it's a real face, it still looks Photoshopped because even the top edge of the lip gloss is not blended with the lip, you can see when zoomed a sharp line where the lipgloss ends on the top left lip and the gloss definitely looks applied in Photoshop as a separate layer on top of the original lips.

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    barbult said:

Wow, stunning! What are the feathers on her head? I feel like I may have it, but I have so much content now, I have no idea what I actually have...

Looks like AprilYSH's Yolande Hair

https://www.daz3d.com/yolande-hair

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Talisken by herself is too much for me, but she mixes nicely with other morphs. This image in my gallery is 33% each of Talisken, Genevieve 7, and FWSA Chastity. All the products I used are linked in the gallery.

That is Yolande Hair. Everything I used is linked in the gallery image. If you click on the image in the thread here, it should take you to the gallery, where you can see the list. It was too much work to redo all the links here. It is much easier to link to products in the gallery. If clicking the image doesn't take you there, here is a link to my gallery.

Post edited by barbult on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Yes, there can be a line where the lips blend into the face, totally agree. If you look at your example, there's a transition area, but I'm not seeing a white line. The key word there is "transitioned."  To be specific, IMO once you have the transition area start, the color gradually fades. In Trish, the color deepens below the line. Even in your example, the color lightens. 

My issue with it is the darkening of the lip below that transition line, which makes the transition line so light. That line occurs because the lip is fading into the skin. So this seems ass-backward to me.  Part of it may also be the line is solid, not broken up in any way. (See third and fourth image, the third shows it best.)  Anyway, I find that line distracting, but those who don't also know what they like and can find examples showing my lip examples are wrong too. We'll have to keep an eye out in the other portrait renders as to how the lips are handled, this will be interesting. I know some vendors really break up that bottom line, such as the May character, whereas Serenity has more of a blended bottom lip.

Thanks for taking the time to present the opposite point of view, it's appreciated.  

lips.jpg
    462 x 260 - 52K
    lips2.jpg
    3963 x 2642 - 3M
    lips3.jpg
    233 x 216 - 4K
    lips4.jpg
    509 x 339 - 120K
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I have both Rundown Bedroom and Rundown Apartment. The latter I've even used. Twice! I just realized it's been a while now since they were new. This render I made is about 1½ year old. The other one I did I never uploaded to my gallery as the character's skin wasn't good. Think I used the wrong materials or something. So I'm attaching that.

She looks rundown from fighting her way through zombie hordes to this safe spot. Great atmosphere in that render.

​Now brighten it up and show her having a party with friends before the outbreak! :D

I had to go back and look at the original example again. I don't see a white line?

I guess this is like the "Is that dress blue or white," meme on the Internet a while back.

​What I see is that the light is coming down from above... and she has a layer of lip LINER and a layer of lipstick over that. The lipstick has a ridge that is reflecting the light coming from above, and that is causing what I *think* is what you are seeing as a white line at the transition of the lip.

​I agree with Ice Dragon Art - I see this on women all the time... not all women - but on some it is very noticeable. Honestly... for some reason I associate this with well-made-up women of a particular economic class - so maybe it has something to do with the kind of makeup they're using and how they apply it? I don't know, total shot in the dark there.

​I DO agree that this is not COMMON... but to me it doesn't seem to be a flaw in the CGI or the character creation - just an aesthetic choice. 

edited March 2017

College Girl Dorm

I was curious about the photos and the books, so here's closeups. My renders have quite a bit more yellow than the promos regarding the lights on the wall, I'd probably take those out or adjust the lighting. These are "out of the box" so you'll see what you might want to do, you can even adjust the White Point in Tone Mapping so it casts more blue. As you can see from the stack of books, the yellow from those wall lights cast a glow all the way over to the desk. It just depends on what you like. (I don't think this was the Default Iray lighting either, so yours may be more blue.) 

The closeup of the images is from the backside, I removed the wall and was going to swing around but didn't bother as the images showed through and I got the gist of it. 

One thing I don't like is the repeating books. They're very noticeable because one of the covers is white with red, widely spaced letters for the title. I'd replace some of the stacks. Otherwise, the set is loaded with props and nice attention to details, you should have fun with it! 

CollegeGirlDormj.png
    1080 x 919 - 2M
    CollegeGirlDorm2.png
    748 x 700 - 975K
    CollegeGirlDorm3.png
    900 x 601 - 955K
    CollegeGirlDorm4.png
    900 x 601 - 1M
    CollegeGirlDorm5.png
    900 x 901 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Anyone pick up the Gentle Paladin pc product and want to do a review on it? I've seen there were problems with the sword and it's not rigged to the figure and you have to position it manually when posing the figure. I'm not getting it as there are no hand poses for the sword - a sword is meant to be used, I don't understand making a product and ONLY having the sword load in the scabbard on the hip. But if the outfit itself is good, with no funky bends or problems in posing (especially around the thighs for that skirt bit) then I might reconsider. 

Novica said:

College Girl Dorm

I was curious about the photos and the books, so here's closeups. My renders have quite a bit more yellow than the promos regarding the lights on the wall, I'd probably take those out or adjust the lighting. These are "out of the box" so you'll see what you might want to do, you can even adjust the White Point in Tone Mapping so it casts more blue. As you can see from the stack of books, the yellow from those wall lights cast a glow all the way over to the desk. It just depends on what you like. (I don't think this was the Default Iray lighting either, so yours may be more blue.) 

The closeup of the images is from the backside, I removed the wall and was going to swing around but didn't bother as the images showed through and I got the gist of it. 

One thing I don't like is the repeating books. They're very noticeable because one of the covers is white with red, widely spaced letters for the title. I'd replace some of the stacks. Otherwise, the set is loaded with props and nice attention to details, you should have fun with it! 

Wow, a lot of detailed graphic design went into those books and magazines. I wonder if some PAs hire out? It seems like a LOT of work went into this...

jakiblue said:

Anyone pick up the Gentle Paladin pc product and want to do a review on it? I've seen there were problems with the sword and it's not rigged to the figure and you have to position it manually when posing the figure. I'm not getting it as there are no hand poses for the sword - a sword is meant to be used, I don't understand making a product and ONLY having the sword load in the scabbard on the hip. But if the outfit itself is good, with no funky bends or problems in posing (especially around the thighs for that skirt bit) then I might reconsider. 

Hang on, I'm going to show you a good reason to get it, regardless. It will surprise you. Then I'll test with the sword.

edited March 2017

Can you believe this? Gentle Paladin. (and P3D May with Pauline Hair.) 

As you'll recall, May was recently in the Oriental Breeze Pool. Well, she got out of the long dress and into the armor, but as she was putting it on, she decided she would stick to dresses and just wear the "Under Dress."  (LOVE those puffy sleeves, and attention to detail with the ruffled hem.)

The boots? Well, no changes there either. They went so well with the dress, she kept those too. They'll go just fine with other outfits too.

MayGentlePaladin.png
    386 x 900 - 389K
    MayGentlePaladin2.png
    786 x 900 - 980K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

Gentle Paladin

Basically, I just loaded it on Kai and the sword wasn't completely in the "loop" that holds the sword. That's the first issue.

The scabbard is loaded to the hip and the sword to the scabbard. I put a running pose on her and the sword was left in the dust. (Funny, because the morph was called "Lagging Behind.") So then I tested by clicking the sword and clicking the pose, because sometimes that will move the prop. It didn't. So basically, it appears posing will be manual. 

Post edited by Novica on

There is discussion of this in the There Is Always Another Sale thread.

The sword is not a smart prop, it must be posed manually, was basically the PA's response, I think.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2017

That's cool! :)  (The underarmor acting as a dress....)

Post edited by firewarden on
    edited March 2017

The sword is not a smart prop, it must be posed manually, was basically the PA's response, I think.

It also has it's own thread and she is on that thread too so I know she got the info. But no one tested applying a pose to the the sword, which is what I did. I found that out a few years ago, it's a handy technique. (Not on swords, on props in general.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

Playing with Melody. Let's see if I can upload this.

Hmm... No idea how to upload an animated .gif and have it work.

Edit: Working now due to donovancolbert's tip!

Post edited by firewarden on

It was mentioned in the PC thread over at the pc forum - word is, the sword isn't rigged to the body so it has to be positioned manually. Which is kinda.....not on, in my book.  

Novica said:

It also has it's own thread and she is on that thread too so I know she got the info. But no one tested applying a pose to the the sword, which is what I did. I found that out a few years ago, it's a handy technique. (Not on swords, on props in general.) 

Novica said:

I mentioned it over there as well but will a different hand pose work on it?  I have had some *limited* success with this for other items that don't smart prop. I have a render runnig or I would test it for you.  If no one else gets to it I will try and do it tomorrow.

edited March 2017

Sorry wrong thread!

Disciples of Creech Test Render 3.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Anyone know how to upload an animated gif and have it work?

I'd post it somewhere else and embed the link here. There are services that host GIFs for this exact purpose. Giffy?

http://giphy.com/upload

People used to use this to host animated gifs on Facebook before they updated to allow it directly.

edited March 2017

It's a great time to shop the Newly Mad section and put two or more in your cart if you're a bonus buyer. Full price x .50 x .70 x .10 is the price you should be paying if you are a bonus buyer. Use that formula to check the prices. I've already checked out. I didn't wait for that 70% DO sale to straighten up, that does NOT require additional purchases to work. Shop the Newly Mad. Edit: plus 30% if you are a Platinum Club member. 78% off!

Post edited by Novica on

Two Newly Mads are showing in the cart at 78% off. Thanks to that Daz deal browser, it's easy to see the actual discounts. I can't work DAZ math without it. LOL. 

STILL waiting for them to fix the "DSON Sale" prices. :sigh: Gets a bit ridiculous when almost three hours later, the advertised sale isn't working. At this rate, Tropical Cyclone Debbie will have already hit us by the time the sale is fixed. 

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Novica said:

It's a great time to shop the Newly Mad section and put two or more in your cart if you're a bonus buyer. Full price x .50 x .70 x .10 is the price you should be paying if you are a bonus buyer. Use that formula to check the prices. I've already checked out. I didn't wait for that 70% DO sale to straighten up, that does NOT require additional purchases to work. Shop the Newly Mad. 

Yeah...  It was kinda nuts.  I essentially bought _everything_ released today, and there's some damn fine things released today, for under $30.

--  Morgan

Yep, the only thing I didn't buy was the bundle that had the dress in it, or the dress.

This discussion has been closed.