ear bones, makes elf ears more fun

tee hee elf ears wiggle.JPG
    1118 x 692 - 134K
    elfieears.png
    1600 x 1066 - 864K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686

It is an old old Dell computer still with the Windows XP pro sticker on it

Every attemp to instal Ubuntu fails

Well, I've got good news and bad news.  I found several Win98SE installation disks  smiley but none are for Dell machines and besides Win98 is museum fodder.  frown  Unfortunately, I have no available WinXP generic install disks either. sad But I do have several WinXP reinstall CD sets (OS CD and driver CDs and app CDs) for various Dell model machines (eg: Dell Dimension 4300S, Inspiron 4000, Dimension 3000, Dimension 4550, Inspiron 8200, Dimension 2350, Dimension C521)  The problem with this is that some of the CD sets are incomplete and don't have all the drivers or apps for the particular machines.  And the OS CD may or may not be compatible with your particular machine.  Rebuilding an old Dell from incomplete sets can be done if you have the compatible OS CD and download the required drivers and apps from the Dell website but it's sometimes tricky, and the Dell website may no longer provide the downloads for the drivers & apps for obsolete machines.

Which Dell do you have?  Laptop or Desktop? And which model?

Desktop I know for sure.

Oh I forgot to say it is a Dimension 4600 according to the box.  I took a photo of it but it is not on this device to my knowledge.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

nyquil!

hoping it doesnt spoil my dragon dreams

if i amtrak it up to masschuset, do they sell the marijuana cigarettes next to the regular cigarettes?  how does it work?

every time i see that man shaped hole thread,
    it makes me think of the club in nyc,
    almost same name doesnt have the word shape in it

Well, I've got good news and bad news.  I found several Win98SE installation disks  smiley but none are for Dell machines and besides Win98 is museum fodder.  frown  Unfortunately, I have no available WinXP generic install disks either. sad But I do have several WinXP reinstall CD sets (OS CD and driver CDs and app CDs) for various Dell model machines (eg: Dell Dimension 4300S, Inspiron 4000, Dimension 3000, Dimension 4550, Inspiron 8200, Dimension 2350, Dimension C521)  The problem with this is that some of the CD sets are incomplete and don't have all the drivers or apps for the particular machines.  And the OS CD may or may not be compatible with your particular machine.  Rebuilding an old Dell from incomplete sets can be done if you have the compatible OS CD and download the required drivers and apps from the Dell website but it's sometimes tricky, and the Dell website may no longer provide the downloads for the drivers & apps for obsolete machines.

How about if you do not have a windows disc for it, How about Ubuntu or other flavour of linux?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited January 2017

Oh I forgot to say it is a Dimension 4600 according to the box.  I took a photo of it but it is not on this device to my knowledge.

Checking at www.Dell.com I found that they apparently still provide drivers and apps for that machine at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/desktop/dimension_desktops

Two versions of that model are listed (Dimension 4600 and 4600C) which probably differ in memory capacity or an onboard device chip type.  However, you still need to get a Dell WindowsXP-Pro installation CD.  I did a quick look on the Dell website and didn't find an official way to get the reinstallation CD sets anymore (they switched to a newer method a few years ago).  If you are the original owner and registered your machine with them, then you could probably call them to ask if a CD set is still available. Cost was minimal and used to be around $10 or $15.

I'm sure you could find a Dell WinXP-Pro CD from various third parties on-line with unknown reliability or intentions!  Also, you might ask around at local PC repair shops for help.

If you get any Dell XP-Pro installation CD it might work and your Microsoft key tag on the case should enable it.  However, you still have to worry about the drivers and maybe some of the apps.  Downloading the drivers from Dell website works IF you get the right driver to match the particular device chip in your machine (they often have several alternatives) .  It can be an interesting and lengthy process to determine which drivers are necessary or work.  For example, if your OS installation doesn't have the driver for the network chip then you have to find another way to download the driver and get it transferred to your machine.  Oy!!

The other alternative for restoring your machine is to find and activate its recovery partition.  Unfortunately, even if it ever had one, you said you'd been trying to install Linux so there's a possibility that you've clobbered the recovery partition somewhere along the line.

Even if you're successful in getting WinXP-Pro installed on your machine it may be needed to be upgraded to XP-ServicePack3 so that's another piece of major software to be found and downloaded.  A few years ago all this fiddly stuff would have been relatively simple but XP has been unsupported for a long time and restoring an old XP is getting harder and harder.

None of this is impossible, just annoying and time consuming. 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited January 2017

I am not looking to have Windows on this machine any more but to have Ubuntu or Linux to have a semi working computer until I can figure out how to get a windows box again.

Checking at www.Dell.com I found that they apparently still provide drivers and apps for that machine at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/desktop/dimension_desktops

Two versions of that model are listed (Dimension 4600 and 4600C) which probably differ in memory capacity or an onboard device chip type.  However, you still need to get a Dell WindowsXP-Pro installation CD.  I did a quick look on the Dell website and didn't find an official way to get the reinstallation CD sets anymore (they switched to a newer method a few years ago).  If you are the original owner and registered your machine with them, then you could probably call them to ask if a CD set is still available. Cost was minimal and used to be around $10 or $15.

I'm sure you could find a Dell WinXP-Pro CD from various third parties on-line with unknown reliability or intentions!  Also, you might ask around at local PC repair shops for help.

If you get any Dell XP-Pro installation CD it might work and your Microsoft key tag on the case should enable it.  However, you still have to worry about the drivers and maybe some of the apps.  Downloading the drivers from Dell website works IF you get the right driver to match the particular device chip in your machine (they often have several alternatives) .  It can be an interesting and lengthy process to determine which drivers are necessary or work.  For example, if your OS installation doesn't have the driver for the network chip then you have to find another way to download the driver and get it transferred to your machine.  Oy!!

The other alternative for restoring your machine is to find and activate its recovery partition.  Unfortunately, even if it ever had one, you said you'd been trying to install Linux so there's a possibility that you've clobbered the recovery partition somewhere along the line.

Even if you're successful in getting WinXP-Pro installed on your machine it may be needed to be upgraded to XP-ServicePack3 so that's another piece of major software to be found and downloaded.  A few years ago all this fiddly stuff would have been relatively simple but XP has been unsupported for a long time and restoring an old XP is getting harder and harder.

edit: the only computer I have access to is the library computer.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited January 2017

How about if you do not have a windows disc for it, How about Ubuntu or other flavour of linux?

Sorry, I know nothing useful about installing Linux type systems anymore.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Perfect summer day, so far not too hot not too cold and a spotless blue sky. On the downside haz to go to dentist for checkup :)

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    MistyMist said:

ear ear :)

I got a headache all day but I just took a pain killer.  Auggghh.

ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

ear ear :)

aye aye harrr  lol

need a demon skin shader set up 

which dimension?

5th dimension is time squared

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    MistyMist said:

nyquil!

if i amtrak it up to masschuset, do they sell the marijuana cigarettes next to the regular cigarettes?  how does it work?

There are no shops for recreational yet, only medicinal.  It might be a while before they get it sorted out.  You can have it, use it, grow it, but no shops are licensed yet.  I don't think they though it through well.  They probably didn't think the law would pass.

Dana

edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:

which dimension?

The Fifth Dimension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAalsBE

edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:

which dimension?

The Fifth Dimension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E

let the sunshine in-iiinnn,  + 1 octave

/ who invented musical notation, and are they related to people who invented the soap

Post edited by Mistara on
    DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:

nyquil!

There are no shops for recreational yet, only medicinal.  It might be a while before they get it sorted out.  You can have it, use it, grow it, but no shops are licensed yet.  I don't think they though it through well.  They probably didn't think the law would pass.

Dana

was lookin forward to to not having to worry about what they adding, like worse than oregano.

but then again, considering what they can legally put in tobacco cigarettes >.<

complainnnts - but too tired to type about it

MistyMist said:
    DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:

nyquil!

Dana

was lookin forward to to not having to worry about what they adding, like worse than oregano.

but then again, considering what they can legally put in tobacco cigarettes >.<

I don't think you would need to worry about that.  Maybe if Phillip Morris starts manufacturing them in packages for sale, then worry.

Dana

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

Oh no you dint...

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

Say hello to my little friend...

edited January 2017
    Tjohn said:

OMG, it is He and MiniHe!! surprise

Tjohn said:

OMG, it is He and MiniHe!! surprise

Hello friend 

Tjohn said:

Oh no you dint...

Or...What's that terrible smell?   laugh 

Dana

Tjohn said:

Is that you?

Dana

last cuppa tea for tnite, must sleep, must work tomorrow, will need the doh for march madness sale

did my first render of g3f  geo pro bit.  is on my da

seems a lil more detailed than g2f's

night night 

This discussion has been closed.