The They Stuck Gears on my Convoy Whinging Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:

nyquil!

hoping it doesnt spoil my dragon dreams

if i amtrak it up to masschuset, do they sell the marijuana cigarettes next to the regular cigarettes?  how does it work?

...I think you will need to go to a dispensary once they get things set up.  That is the way it is here in Oregon.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

Oh I forgot to say it is a Dimension 4600 according to the box.  I took a photo of it but it is not on this device to my knowledge.

Checking at www.Dell.com I found that they apparently still provide drivers and apps for that machine at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/desktop/dimension_desktops

Two versions of that model are listed (Dimension 4600 and 4600C) which probably differ in memory capacity or an onboard device chip type.  However, you still need to get a Dell WindowsXP-Pro installation CD.  I did a quick look on the Dell website and didn't find an official way to get the reinstallation CD sets anymore (they switched to a newer method a few years ago).  If you are the original owner and registered your machine with them, then you could probably call them to ask if a CD set is still available. Cost was minimal and used to be around $10 or $15.

I'm sure you could find a Dell WinXP-Pro CD from various third parties on-line with unknown reliability or intentions!  Also, you might ask around at local PC repair shops for help.

If you get any Dell XP-Pro installation CD it might work and your Microsoft key tag on the case should enable it.  However, you still have to worry about the drivers and maybe some of the apps.  Downloading the drivers from Dell website works IF you get the right driver to match the particular device chip in your machine (they often have several alternatives) .  It can be an interesting and lengthy process to determine which drivers are necessary or work.  For example, if your OS installation doesn't have the driver for the network chip then you have to find another way to download the driver and get it transferred to your machine.  Oy!!

The other alternative for restoring your machine is to find and activate its recovery partition.  Unfortunately, even if it ever had one, you said you'd been trying to install Linux so there's a possibility that you've clobbered the recovery partition somewhere along the line.

Even if you're successful in getting WinXP-Pro installed on your machine it may be needed to be upgraded to XP-ServicePack3 so that's another piece of major software to be found and downloaded.  A few years ago all this fiddly stuff would have been relatively simple but XP has been unsupported for a long time and restoring an old XP is getting harder and harder.

None of this is impossible, just annoying and time consuming. 

which dimension?

5th dimension is time squared

The Fifth Dimension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E

let the sunshine in-iiinnn,  + 1 octave

/ who invented musical notation, and are they related to people who invented the soap

...the oldest known example of musical notation comes from Sumeria and is dated about 2,000 BC. 

...the Babylonians are credited with inventing soap around 2,800 BC

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

Oh I forgot to say it is a Dimension 4600 according to the box.  I took a photo of it but it is not on this device to my knowledge.

Checking at www.Dell.com I found that they apparently still provide drivers and apps for that machine at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/desktop/dimension_desktops

Two versions of that model are listed (Dimension 4600 and 4600C) which probably differ in memory capacity or an onboard device chip type.  However, you still need to get a Dell WindowsXP-Pro installation CD.  I did a quick look on the Dell website and didn't find an official way to get the reinstallation CD sets anymore (they switched to a newer method a few years ago).  If you are the original owner and registered your machine with them, then you could probably call them to ask if a CD set is still available. Cost was minimal and used to be around $10 or $15.

I'm sure you could find a Dell WinXP-Pro CD from various third parties on-line with unknown reliability or intentions!  Also, you might ask around at local PC repair shops for help.

If you get any Dell XP-Pro installation CD it might work and your Microsoft key tag on the case should enable it.  However, you still have to worry about the drivers and maybe some of the apps.  Downloading the drivers from Dell website works IF you get the right driver to match the particular device chip in your machine (they often have several alternatives) .  It can be an interesting and lengthy process to determine which drivers are necessary or work.  For example, if your OS installation doesn't have the driver for the network chip then you have to find another way to download the driver and get it transferred to your machine.  Oy!!

The other alternative for restoring your machine is to find and activate its recovery partition.  Unfortunately, even if it ever had one, you said you'd been trying to install Linux so there's a possibility that you've clobbered the recovery partition somewhere along the line.

Even if you're successful in getting WinXP-Pro installed on your machine it may be needed to be upgraded to XP-ServicePack3 so that's another piece of major software to be found and downloaded.  A few years ago all this fiddly stuff would have been relatively simple but XP has been unsupported for a long time and restoring an old XP is getting harder and harder.

None of this is impossible, just annoying and time consuming. 

which dimension?

5th dimension is time squared

The Fifth Dimension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E

let the sunshine in-iiinnn,  + 1 octave

/ who invented musical notation, and are they related to people who invented the soap

...the oldest known example of musical notation comes from Sumeria and is dated about 2,000 BC. 

...the Babylonians are credited with inventing soap around 2,800 BC

Sumeria?  is that the same place the good samaritan came from?

complainnt - lack of sleep.  i'm having trouble sleeping at night lately.  went to bed about 11pm last night, did fall asleep until after 4am was last i looked at the time, alarm went off at 6am.

so hurty, my bones oscar mike gulf

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    MistyMist said:

I think that's where they make good coffee, not good people.  :)

Stryder87 said:
    MistyMist said:

Sumatra?

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    MistyMist said:
    Stryder87 said:
    MistyMist said:

Sumatra?

Yeah.  Samaria is the Samaritan thing.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063

We lost another one this month, didn't see about it on the news, though.  Dick Gautier...played Hymie the robot on Get Smart.

Maxwell Smart and Hymie the robot

Dana

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Real quiet today under an endlessly bright blue sky I guess many or most are taking a long long weekend this Friday after Holiday Thursday :)

MistyMist said:
    Stryder87 said:
    MistyMist said:

Sumatra?

Forget how I know but Samaritans used to live around Mount Gerizim back in the day

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Gerizim

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

When I was a kid I used to think that Data was a real android instead of an actor who played an Android.

DanaTA said:

We lost another one this month, didn't see about it on the news, though.  Dick Gautier...played Hymie the robot on Get Smart.

Maxwell Smart and Hymie the robot

Dana

aw nutz :(

edited January 2017

Here is a novel idea. How about use windows like doors and use doors like windows?   Well some use doors like windows, but does any sane person use a window for a door?

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • ...   Well some use doors like windows, but does any sane person use a window for a door?

Depends on how fast you want to get out.

...   Well some use doors like windows, but does any sane person use a window for a door?

True but I mean on a regular daily basis, why would someone use a window instead of a door? 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

...   Well some use doors like windows, but does any sane person use a window for a door?

True but I mean on a regular daily basis, why would someone use a window instead of a door? 

"I was Caesarean born. Can’t really tell, although whenever I leave a house I go through the window." -Steven Wright

i confuse funny lady and my fair lady.

1 had barabara streisand, other 1 she walked and talked like a regular lady, until the horse race

slow cooker weekend  beef stew n potatoes

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,138
    edited January 2017

Ponderable of the day:  Assuming that Nothing is the opposite of Something.  Do you believe in Nothing or is there nothing that you believe in?  If you believe in Something then do you believe in Nothing?  Or is Nothing not something to believe in?  Good thing the day is almost over.  Sleep well, this is nothing to worry about, unless there's something about Nothing that gives you reason believe it's nothing trivial. devil  (ps:  Feb. 2017 Scientific American has a little article [pg 73 "Sceptic"]  about Nothing) 

Has somebody created an object for Nothing so we can render it?  Like The Invisible Man but without glasses. laugh  And if they have, does it cost nothing?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Now I am worried about Nothing

edited January 2017

Here is a novel idea. How about use windows like doors and use doors like windows?   Well some use doors like windows, but does any sane person use a window for a door?

Criminals...and people trying to get out of a house on fire!  And sometimes boyfriends on TV family comedies.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

There's french windows, which are used as doors, and dutch doors that are used like windows . . .

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Ponderable of the day:  Assuming that Nothing is the opposite of Something.  Do you believe in Nothing or is there nothing that you believe in?  If you believe in Something then do you believe in Nothing?  Or is Nothing not something to believe in?  Good thing the day is almost over.  Sleep well, this is nothing to worry about, unless there's something about Nothing that gives you reason believe it's nothing trivial. devil  (ps:  Feb. 2017 Scientific American has a little article [pg 73 "Sceptic"]  about Nothing) 

Has somebody created an object for Nothing so we can render it?  Like The Invisible Man but without glasses. laugh  And if they have, does it cost nothing?

In a sense, Daz has, if you consider that nothing was also 16th century slang for female "anatomical elements" (to use Daz's term). Puts the play "Much ado about nothing" in a whole new light, although given Shakespeare's love of bawdry and innuendo, it's probably not surprising. Hey nonny nonny! as they might have said.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

There's french windows, which are used as doors, and dutch doors that are used like windows . . .

I do wonder if this would count as a door used as a window, or a window used as a door.   A flat I lived in for a while in Twickenham The one with the window boxes

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

exes and oh oh ohs  cheerioh oh oh ohs

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

Actually, something is NOT the opposite of nothing.  Nothing is the ABSENCE of something.  Much like there isn't such a thing as darkness, it is simply a term for the absence of light.

Chohole said:

I do wonder if this would count as a door used as a window, or a window used as a door.   A flat I lived in for a while in Twickenham The one with the window boxes

Well, the windows are obvious windows...and the doors lead out to a sort of balcony...though I don't know how safe those balconies look.  indecision

Dana

Tjohn said:

laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  

Dana

My KUbuntu USB stick came in and I am trying to load it.  It is taking its dear time.  Or maybe it is crashed.  Either way I got a new USB stick.

This discussion has been closed.