The They Stuck Gears on my Convoy Whinging Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586

My favorite tablet has a crack in a corner.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Is one of those summer days perfect to forget everything except whitecaps and the sound of breaking surf against sand :)

It is too early to go to bed but I want to go to bed so I will not be tempted to eat another slice of cake.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

caaaake  waaaantz  

ps1borg said:

Morning. Is one of those summer days perfect to forget everything except whitecaps and the sound of breaking surf against sand :)

and cerulean sky ?

MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:

and cerulean sky ?

Would say polaroid blue, too bright to take sunnies off without squinting *squints* oh man iz Monet Blue I think :0

It is too early to go to bed but I want to go to bed so I will not be tempted to eat another slice of cake.

Bliss to have cake before bedtime :)

Here is a novel idea. How about use windows like doors and use doors like windows?   Well some use doors like windows, but does any sane person use a window for a door?

There's french windows, which are used as doors, and dutch doors that are used like windows . . .

we got one of those it has a slight sill to step over 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    ps1borg said:

Bliss to have cake before bedtime :)

We had some angelfood cake tonight!

Dana

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

Saturday Morning.

It is Saturday Morning!  For some reason I do not have to work today.  No clue why

Tjohn said:

Saturday Morning.

heart

ssippsss  ahhhh  heartheartmailheart

soup in the crockpot, brr chillin outside

complaintt - i haz no shrooms or cooking sherry
    wanted to make peppered steak tomorrow

got a new keyboard for my desktop but cannot get my desktop to boot.  It is an old old desktop.   

I went to the pool to see if getting away from the computer helps me figure out what is wrong.   Has anyone seen my mouse?

got a new keyboard for my desktop but cannot get my desktop to boot.  It is an old old desktop.   

I went to the pool to see if getting away from the computer helps me figure out what is wrong.   Has anyone seen my mouse?

i heard something rustling in my under sink cupboard, sounded mouse-ish 

peeling potatoes just no fun anymoars with no buppy watching my every move in the kitchen

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited January 2017
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

Oh I forgot to say it is a Dimension 4600 according to the box.  I took a photo of it but it is not on this device to my knowledge.

Checking at www.Dell.com I found that they apparently still provide drivers and apps for that machine at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/desktop/dimension_desktops

Two versions of that model are listed (Dimension 4600 and 4600C) which probably differ in memory capacity or an onboard device chip type.  However, you still need to get a Dell WindowsXP-Pro installation CD.  I did a quick look on the Dell website and didn't find an official way to get the reinstallation CD sets anymore (they switched to a newer method a few years ago).  If you are the original owner and registered your machine with them, then you could probably call them to ask if a CD set is still available. Cost was minimal and used to be around $10 or $15.

I'm sure you could find a Dell WinXP-Pro CD from various third parties on-line with unknown reliability or intentions!  Also, you might ask around at local PC repair shops for help.

If you get any Dell XP-Pro installation CD it might work and your Microsoft key tag on the case should enable it.  However, you still have to worry about the drivers and maybe some of the apps.  Downloading the drivers from Dell website works IF you get the right driver to match the particular device chip in your machine (they often have several alternatives) .  It can be an interesting and lengthy process to determine which drivers are necessary or work.  For example, if your OS installation doesn't have the driver for the network chip then you have to find another way to download the driver and get it transferred to your machine.  Oy!!

The other alternative for restoring your machine is to find and activate its recovery partition.  Unfortunately, even if it ever had one, you said you'd been trying to install Linux so there's a possibility that you've clobbered the recovery partition somewhere along the line.

Even if you're successful in getting WinXP-Pro installed on your machine it may be needed to be upgraded to XP-ServicePack3 so that's another piece of major software to be found and downloaded.  A few years ago all this fiddly stuff would have been relatively simple but XP has been unsupported for a long time and restoring an old XP is getting harder and harder.

None of this is impossible, just annoying and time consuming. 

which dimension?

5th dimension is time squared

The Fifth Dimension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E

let the sunshine in-iiinnn,  + 1 octave

/ who invented musical notation, and are they related to people who invented the soap

...the oldest known example of musical notation comes from Sumeria and is dated about 2,000 BC. 

...the Babylonians are credited with inventing soap around 2,800 BC

Sumeria?  is that the same place the good samaritan came from?

MistyMist said:

...making a big batch of my special burrito filling to last me through midweek.

Only 46° here today (a little below average but not like the past couple weeks) though back to the low 50s tomorrow and Monday.

22° in Zagreb, been in the 20s the last week, seems winter headed their way for a bit.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Morning. Sunday quiet except for a distant hum of vacuum cleaners, I guess they are the new lawnmower noise now everything is going hi rise :)

kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

Oh I forgot to say it is a Dimension 4600 according to the box.  I took a photo of it but it is not on this device to my knowledge.

Checking at www.Dell.com I found that they apparently still provide drivers and apps for that machine at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/desktop/dimension_desktops

Two versions of that model are listed (Dimension 4600 and 4600C) which probably differ in memory capacity or an onboard device chip type.  However, you still need to get a Dell WindowsXP-Pro installation CD.  I did a quick look on the Dell website and didn't find an official way to get the reinstallation CD sets anymore (they switched to a newer method a few years ago).  If you are the original owner and registered your machine with them, then you could probably call them to ask if a CD set is still available. Cost was minimal and used to be around $10 or $15.

I'm sure you could find a Dell WinXP-Pro CD from various third parties on-line with unknown reliability or intentions!  Also, you might ask around at local PC repair shops for help.

If you get any Dell XP-Pro installation CD it might work and your Microsoft key tag on the case should enable it.  However, you still have to worry about the drivers and maybe some of the apps.  Downloading the drivers from Dell website works IF you get the right driver to match the particular device chip in your machine (they often have several alternatives) .  It can be an interesting and lengthy process to determine which drivers are necessary or work.  For example, if your OS installation doesn't have the driver for the network chip then you have to find another way to download the driver and get it transferred to your machine.  Oy!!

The other alternative for restoring your machine is to find and activate its recovery partition.  Unfortunately, even if it ever had one, you said you'd been trying to install Linux so there's a possibility that you've clobbered the recovery partition somewhere along the line.

Even if you're successful in getting WinXP-Pro installed on your machine it may be needed to be upgraded to XP-ServicePack3 so that's another piece of major software to be found and downloaded.  A few years ago all this fiddly stuff would have been relatively simple but XP has been unsupported for a long time and restoring an old XP is getting harder and harder.

which dimension?

The Fifth Dimension:

/ who invented musical notation, and are they related to people who invented the soap

...the oldest known example of musical notation comes from Sumeria and is dated about 2,000 BC. 

MistyMist said:

Only 46° here today (a little below average but not like the past couple weeks) though back to the low 50s tomorrow and Monday.

22° in Zagreb, been in the 20s the last week, seems winter headed their way for a bit.

a goldilocks kinda day here, not too hot not too cold and it looks like the tennis crowds are thinning out a little :)

MistyMist said:
    Tjohn said:

Saturday Morning.

heart

ssippsss  ahhhh  heartheartmailheart

Saturday was good you should enjoy it :)

edited January 2017
    ps1borg said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

which dimension?

The Fifth Dimension:

MistyMist said:

a goldilocks kinda day here, not too hot not too cold and it looks like the tennis crowds are thinning out a little :)

...with the footy crowds waiting in the wings to take their place no doubt.

edited January 2017

wasting my life away trying to see how to save a morph expresions preset in ds

not under poses, noy character

ohh mebbe shaping preset

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited January 2017

...nice relaxing Caturday night. 

Several marches in the city messing up the tranist system today but nothing near where I am.

kyoto kid said:

...nice relaxing Caturday night. 

Several marches in the city messing up the tranist system today but nothing near where I am.

Your Friend looks happy.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Had to get a new keyboard for my Mac, cos I coffee bombed the old one! New one is "Windows", so some of the keys are wrong. Ho hum!

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

I want a new keyboard too.  I want a keyboard that has lighted keys so that I can see them at night.  My room doesn't have enough light at night.  My room doesn't have a light fixture under the ceiling.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060

I want a new keyboard too.  I want a keyboard that has lighted keys so that I can see them at night.  My room doesn't have enough light at night.  My room doesn't have a light fixture under the ceiling.

It would be much less expensive to get one of those little LED book lights!

Dana

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,254
    edited January 2017

They are nice. I have a Cyberpower one that came with my PC. Look for illuminated or backlit keyboards. Some of them are not too expensive like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AULA-SI-859-Adjustable-Backlight-Illuminated/dp/B01C09ZTK4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1485722265&sr=1-2&keywords=lighted+keyboard

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
This discussion has been closed.