WIP Thread for June New Users Contest.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Someone told me once that DS can do light gels in the same way Poser does them, but i sooooo don't know DS so i wouldn't begin to know how

I've never played with them eather. But I have used my method many times, It's quick and easy. I do fake forest canopies with leafs and limbs all the time with it. To give those shadows that a forest needs.
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Someone told me once that DS can do light gels in the same way Poser does them, but i sooooo don't know DS so i wouldn't begin to know how

I've never played with them eather. But I have used my method many times, It's quick and easy. I do fake forest canopies with leafs and limbs all the time with it. To give those shadows that a forest needs.

i have used your method in Poser as well, just using a plane with a texture and transparency. it all depends on what effect i am going for and how much work i want to put into achieving the effect.

another nice thing about Poser is you can use animated AVI video as textures, so for animation you can have shadows that move

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    This can be faked in DS very easily. You create a black and white image in any 2D art program the higher the resolution the better and save it as Blinds for example. In DS you create a primative plane and place it infront of your light, say a spotlight. Load the black and white image named Blinds.jpg as a Opacity setting for your plane. The light will pass through the white areas and be blocked by the black areas.

If that is not clear I can do a quick tut with images. Just say you would like to have it and it will get done today.

o yes please :-) will you do that for me and other people.
    I tried what you say but I think I do something wrong.
    I will look tomorrow :)

edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Jaderail said:
    This can be faked in DS very easily. You create a black and white image in any 2D art program the higher the resolution the better and save it as Blinds for example. In DS you create a primative plane and place it infront of your light, say a spotlight. Load the black and white image named Blinds.jpg as a Opacity setting for your plane. The light will pass through the white areas and be blocked by the black areas.

If that is not clear I can do a quick tut with images. Just say you would like to have it and it will get done today.

Sure off to set it up now. This will take awhile so I'll be back later.

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

version3, Much better pose and the lighting on him is good. What I would do is gussy him up. Here are some rings
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/51199/View/11/Poser/Rings-Collection
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/48854/View/11/Poser/Vulcan-Rings-M3-M4-V3-v4
    I like the fast metals in this shader pack
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/27568/related/7/Material-and-Shader/Ultimate-Shader-Pack-for-DAZ-Studio-UPDATED_2011

I would also see if there are some weave bump files that could be used on the Shirt and Hat.
    Here is one but you would have to grey scale it in Photoshop or Gimp.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/28859/View/6/Texture/Seamless-Weave/Basket-texture

I think you should enter Mr. Hyde. His portrait reflects what you said you were trying to achieve.

Thank you for the comment Dollygirl and thanks for the links.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

i have used your method in Poser as well, just using a plane with a texture and transparency. it all depends on what effect i am going for and how much work i want to put into achieving the effect.

The omnifreaker lights (uberSpot and uberPoint) can apply a gel image, as can lights made with Shader Mixer. The default lights, however, don't have that as an option.

edited December 1969

ok kool, thanx for clearing that up Richard

edited June 2012

Here we go people, a easy way to fake light gels in DS4pro.

Fake_Gel-0.jpg
    800 x 794 - 158K
    Blinds-gel.jpg
    600 x 623 - 131K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited June 2012

Fake_Gel-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 202K
    edited December 1969

This site needs to let use edit the Image files like the old one did.

Fake_Gel-2.jpg
    800 x 791 - 180K
    edited December 1969

The last I hope.

Fake_Gel-4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 74K
    Fake_Gel-3.jpg
    753 x 464 - 147K
    edited December 1969

That was not as easy to post as the old site but now you have it People. I hope you have fun playing with this. The fake gels can be used for many shadow effects.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    That was not as easy to post as the old site but now you have it People. I hope you have fun playing with this. The fake gels can be used for many shadow effects.

Tanks very much for that Jaderail I am definitely going to try it out shortly, just wondering if you could control the shadow softness by adjusting the transparency of the plane itself, like in a masking channel in graphics programs.

edited June 2012

version3 said:
    Jaderail said:

Tanks very much for that Jaderail I am definitely going to try it out shortly, just wondering if you could control the shadow softness by adjusting the transparency of the plane itself, like in a masking channel in graphics programs.
    You can play with them in many ways. The opacity settings, adding a diffuse color and diffues map to the Plane. Changing the shadow settings for the light and it's color. Parenting the Plane to the light so it moves as you move the light. Just play with them and see all the ways you can mess with them. Also try this, Opacity maps run from white to black. Different shades of grey give different opacity effects. If I had done mid grey the bars would only hold back half the light, just like changing the Opacity setting.

edited December 1969

Thanks again, I know what I will be doing for the rest of today. ;-)

edited December 1969

how far the plane is from the light would change it as well

that is why i like the gel method in Poser, i can quickly make my adjustments in the material settings

edited December 1969

This is going to be my second entry for June, I am trying to give the portrait more depth than I have in the past. Using the advice and picture posts in this thread I am pleased with the result.

portrait007.jpg
    600 x 800 - 349K
    edited December 1969

Ok,

as indicated by arrow 1, the perspective of the columns point to your subject, this is a good thing, it helps draw the viewers eye where you want them to look. Arrows 4 also show how the arches form curved lines pointing to your subject, also good, well done so far.

number 2, your subject is well placed in the scene, slightly off center is good, things that are centered look a bit unnatural.

the only improvements i would suggest are area 3could be a tad darker, this would help make your subject pop a little more. and i would also suggest zooming in slightly so that less of area 5 is showing. these are only suggestions, even if you do nothing you have done a very good job.

Your composition skills are very good, well done.

C-01.jpg
    600 x 800 - 105K
    edited December 1969

lol don't think things are wrong because i used red, i just happened to use red because it stood out against the image, most of my mark ups indicate what is right lol

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Now I wana try second photo with other situation, other story.

I know that I should sutdy more about portlaite and basic tecnicque but,

In this picture, I wana challenge free expression of lighting out from basic.

(maybe many men had played like this, Now I play and joy 3D lighiting like a child:lol:)

I hope , I will change this draft to be something more attractive in this month .

it needs many many changing, so if you have advices, tell me please.

maige2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 200K
    edited December 1969

LycanthropeX

the only improvements i would suggest are area 3could be a tad darker, this would help make your subject pop a little more. and i would also suggest zooming in slightly so that less of area 5 is showing.

Thanks for the tips LycanthropeX

• edited December 1969

I just visited the contest thread and I must say that my fellow participants did a great job. It is really cool to see the improvement in all of our renders. Thanks to all the mentors.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,342
    edited December 1969

There has been a vast improvement in everyone. We are really happy everyone is learning.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah, it's real fun helping people who want to be helped, and seeing how they improve.

I know I wasn't doing as well as some of you when I first started.

• edited December 1969

Here is my second render for this month's contest. I decided to try my hand at an outdoor scene this time. There are only 2 spot lights in the scene so far, one key light with a mild yellow tint to provide sun light, and a fill light with a hint of blue to simulate sky light. I plan on adding a couple of rim lights for highlights to help separate the model from the background. I like the color of the skin on the model but it seems really dry and I can't figure out to make it reflect any light. I look forward to any suggestions that will help improve this render.

Beachy_Keen_-_Daz.jpg
    600 x 800 - 354K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Yes it has been enjoyable to see what you all do with the comments. I am learning a lot too. Sometimes a render just stumps me, like what can be said about a render. Doing this excerise has improved my eye and I see more and more stuff. Having to give constructive feedback has made me a better user of the tools as well. I think this type thread is a win win situation for us all.

edited December 1969

The fun is watching all you take an idea/tip and run off and do great things. That is fun.

I'm in slow motion today, I'll pop in again after much more coffee.

edited December 1969

If anyone is wanting a critique of their image, just give a shout with a link to the image. I was really busy up till last week and finally have some time to spend on the thread, so I am trying to catch up a bit.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Sasje said:
    Jaderail said:

Sure off to set it up now. This will take awhile so I'll be back later.
    Thanks Jaderail for the pictures :-), now I know what I did wrong I didn’t use a shadow
    edited December 1969

I think this will be my second entry.
    I used three spotlights, the tears I did with Photoshop.

Tips are welcome :)

my_doll_bew.jpg
    600 x 800 - 385K