Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,009
    edited December 2016

Here's my first "play".. not bad for only 2 days playing... I love it when a program works right out of the box... :)  (my opinion :))

MY GARABALDI HAIR with SKULLCAP FEMALE DONE.png
    512 x 512 - 232K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833

Not bad at all. smiley

If you want smoother curves, you can reduce the segment length (default is 1 cm). There are 2 places to do that: 1. end of second row of buttons is a tool button with a seg length option. 2. is a seg length option under interpolation. One changes the length for the editor, the other changes it for the render.

Be aware that shorter seg lengths mean more verts being generated at render time.

Thanks Gone.. I'll check all that tonight... That render didn't take long.. less than 4 minute in 3Delight... I actually made the hair in 2 pieces.. the skullcap and then the hair bit on top... I saved each as a WEARABLE preset.  Not sure how to merge them together yet.. but I'll play more this weekend.  Not really read any instructions.. I like playing with the tools and then look for instructions if I have questions... But I'm loving the program.

On another note... Does Garibaldi have a FREE player like Look At My Hair???  I have that in my cart too.. although I'm not sure what the difference is between the two programs.  The Look At My Hair player freezes my computer and crashes Daz now and then so I'm a little leary to buy it.  So far (knock on wood) I've not had any problems running Garibaldi :)

edited December 2016

Here's another render with the skullcap.. I figured out how to erase some of the hair and added some carving decorations.. :)

MY GARABALDI HAIR with SKULLCAP MALE shapedD.png
    512 x 512 - 266K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

When you have multiple nodes you want to save as a single hair piece, you can use the group command in the scene tab and save the group as a wearable.

There were plans for a free player but it was never released.

I'm guessing you did that with the eraser. Another way to get tribal, or other, patterns is to import them into Garibaldi as a density map. I believe the instructions for making density maps are on page 46. The method would be the same - just add the pattern you want.

I prefer Garibaldi to LAMH for just that reason. If they manage to address these issues with version 2 (and not add a whole wack of new problems), I may finally be persuaded to switch.

For a plugin that has had no updates since DS 4.5, I'm inclined to say it's darn good work.

Thank you again Gone... question.. you mention a page 46??? from what?  I don't see a manual to print out.  Importing a density map looks like it may be an important thing I should learn... If I could find a manual that will help. 

Never did find an "eraser"... In the paint brush settings I set the value from 1.0 to 0 (zero)... it painted what i wanted cut out to black.. It worked.  I then made another skullcap with a different color for the shorter lighter hairs and loaded them on top of each other. 

I know there must be an easier way... but I'm only into the program 3 days now :)  Lots to learn.

Thanks for the opinion of LAMH... I may get it anyway whilst it is on sale.  Seems like the tools are pretty much the same... Not sure if I can export to sell but they do have the player for people who don't have the program. 

I'm still using Daz 4.8... I'd be curious to know if anyone is having problems with Garibaldi with 4.9?  I'm sure there will be a 4.10 just as I get used to 4.9 when I update it... LOL.

My bad - I meant page 46 of this thread. To be honest, I haven't looked at the manual in years so I keep forgetting there is one. smiley

Switching to 0 is the erasure - but that's just what I call it since it isn't, technically, an erasure.

Actually, LAMH has a lot of interesting features but it does things a bit differently. The comb, in particular, just makes my skin crawl with the way it works - but that's just me.

Ok Gone.. I'll look at page 46 of this thread.. only kind of 'manual' I could find is... http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/help.php ; It just discribes the tools... but not much else... I'm still looking.

Glad I got the 0 down.. whew... :) 

I bought the LAMH.. good deal on it.. and I have nothing but time to make hair to my hearts content.. lol.

I'll keep ya posted ;)

Mattymanx said:
    smaker1 said:

Hello,

couldn't found the info: can I export the hair (obj format) from Daz for rendering in Octane for example (without the plug in)  

Thanks

You can export the Garibaldi Hair from the Garibaldi window to OBJ.  The option is in the upper left of the window

I made an OBJ of a simple skullcap and it won't open in Hexagon or Daz... so it's not working for me :(

Gone said:

Here's some basic density maps for G3F hair.

Make sure they have the correct surface name when you download, put them in a folder and load normally in Garibaldi.

This is what I get when I use those files Gone.. where can I get a template of the body parts?  Are they the same ones we use for skin materials???  I need to know WHERE to paint to be able to make my skullcap :)

Image1.jpg
    900 x 610 - 108K
    Gone said:

Here's some basic density maps for G3F hair.

Make sure they have the correct surface name when you download, put them in a folder and load normally in Garibaldi.

This is what I get when I use those files Gone.. where can I get a template of the body parts?  Are they the same ones we use for skin materials???  I need to know WHERE to paint to be able to make my skullcap :)

kk... answered my own question... YES.. I can use the skin materials templates for G3M and G3F... Too late for me to play anymore ;(  gotta git some sleep (yawnzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)  Poof!

That looks as though you tried using the files on G3M - they will only work properly on G3F. Remember, the hair is figure specific.

There was no G3M when I made those and no one has asked about him so I assumed they must be making their own.

If you can find them, SnowSultan's seam guides also make a good template.

Don't know what your .obj export problem is. Would need more info on your workflow.

OH.. didn't realize the maps were for female.. duh.. I guess working at 3am the brain doesn't function very well... that would explain it. lol

I'll try the export thing again today... but it wasn't working for me... I tried several times... but then again.. it was past midnight... My brain tends to get scrambled late at night.. erm.. early morning.  Gonna try it again now.

ok.. maaaaaaaaajor part of the puzzle solved with obj... gotta be in CLUMP or TWEAK mode to save to OBJ or all you get is nothing... also... gotta import at 100percent... also... the bigger the DISTRIBUTION ..AMOUNT.. setting the looooooooonger it takes to load.. and crashes Hexagon if too big.  I tried setting the AMOUNT at 25 instead of 400 and opened it in DAZ first.. then IMPORTED it to Hexagon.. That seems to work without crashing Hexagon.  Not sure if all this is covered in the 55 pages of this thread.. but it's important to have all the facts.  The first time I imported it to Daz the size was 1000 (default)... it turns out it was there... but waaaaaaaaaay above the floor and it was GIANT... lol.  I set it at 100 percent and I could see it on my screen.. plus it loaded faster.  Lesson learned.. patience... wait for it to load!  lol  Not sure why it's loading above the floor but I have lots to learn with the tools in Hexagon.  You all may know this stuff already... but I'm still a newbie with making stuff and it's important for me to have ALL the steps :) 

btw.. found the seam guides.. wo hoot.. MERRY CHRISTMAS to me!  I'm all set :)

The amount slider at the bottom of the tweak pane controls the size of the exported .obj. The smaller the percentage, the smaller the file size - and the cruder the hair object.

Somewhere back in the thread, I posted a comparison of percentage and look of the .obj's.

Since the hair is UV mapped on export, you may want to consider what can be done with diffuse and opacity maps to keep the object size down.

The distribution amount is number of generated hairs/sq cm. For most normal human heads, an amount of 100 is usually more than enough. The render info box will tell you how many hairs are being generated in each node so you can use that as a guide to increase or decrease the amount. A typical full head of hair will be in the 100,000 to 150,000 hairs.

One trick I've been using for a while now is to set the base to 0.06 with the tip at 0.01. This lets me reduce the number of generated hairs to around half the typical amount while still making it look like a full, thick head of hair. Over in the "Show us your 3DL renders" thread, I posted a picture of a young girl with these settings, a few days ago, so you can see how that looks if you like.

Thanks Gone.. making pizzelles at the moment... but I'll look through what you wrote tonight... Holiday season is hectic for me this year... Only way I get alone time is at 3am... and you know what happens to me after midnight... laa laaa laaaaaaaaa... lol

ok.. I've been looking and can't find the Show us your 3DL renders thread.. I see the Iray one.. but not the 3DL one.. gonna need a linky please :)

Thank you Mjc... got it.. and saw your hair render Gone... the girl with the bubblegum??? too cute.

Thanks - but the one with the thick base/thin tip is the hindu girl.

Actually, every character (including the lion) has Garibaldi hair. I rarely use anything else these days.

Gone said:

Thanks - but the one with the thick base/thin tip is the hindu girl.

Actually, every character (including the lion) has Garibaldi hair. I rarely use anything else these days.

I looked back at that thread... saw a bunch of yours with hair... Pretty neat... I'm still playing :)

• SeradaneSeradane Posts: 12
    edited December 2016

For some some reason, the Clump section of the program no longer functions. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing it, but that didn't seem to help any. No matter what I check or uncheck, <none>, Hair Density, or G3MHair... nothing works. What happened and how do I fix it?

Post edited by Seradane on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    Jimbow said:

There's no need for doing anything in Blender or Hexagon, etc.

Change your G3F/M mesh resolution to Base. Export G3F/M as an obj while it's at Base mesh resolution. Tick the option to 'Collapse UV Tiles'.

Go to the top menu and choose Edit > Figure > Geometry, click on 'Load UV set' and use the popup browser to choose the base resolution G3F/M you just exported.

Give the UV set a name in the next popup.

Go to your G3F/M surfaces and change your surface UVs to the new UV set.

Create a new Garibaldi Hair and click on Face and Torso in setup. Paint away.

Should take a minute at most.

Just tuning it to say Thank you! and that it works a charm! I had tried that idea long ago, but missed the "Collapse UV Tiles" step. Only thing I would add is a final step:

Save as supported asset > UV Asset(s), then select and save the UV you created. This will save the custom UV to the figure so you will always have the option to use it in surfaces.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    SpyroRue said:
    Jimbow said:

There's no need for doing anything in Blender or Hexagon, etc.

Change your G3F/M mesh resolution to Base. Export G3F/M as an obj while it's at Base mesh resolution. Tick the option to 'Collapse UV Tiles'.

Go to the top menu and choose Edit > Figure > Geometry, click on 'Load UV set' and use the popup browser to choose the base resolution G3F/M you just exported.

Give the UV set a name in the next popup.

Go to your G3F/M surfaces and change your surface UVs to the new UV set.

Create a new Garibaldi Hair and click on Face and Torso in setup. Paint away.

Should take a minute at most.

Just tuning it to say Thank you! and that it works a charm! I had tried that idea long ago, but missed the "Collapse UV Tiles" step. Only thing I would add is a final step:

Save as supported asset > UV Asset(s), then select and save the UV you created. This will save the custom UV to the figure so you will always have the option to use it in surfaces.

Good idea.

Seradane said:

For some some reason, the Clump section of the program no longer functions. I have tried unstalling and re-installing it, but that didn't seem to help any. No matter what I check or uncheck, <none>, Hair Density, or G3MHair... nothing works. What happened and how do I fix it?

eep... I'm not sure.  Did you try changing the hair length???  Maybe you can see it move more if the hair is longer???  Although... I made mine pretty short and it works fine. 

• I can make the hair any length and move it any direction, but I still can't get the clumping options to work.

Seradane said:

I can make the hair any length and move it any direction, but I still can't get the clumping options to work.

oh my.. that is a dilema... I'm not a programmer so I can't help you further... sorry.  Hope someone else can... It's really a cool feature once it works.  Nudge nudge... can anyone help Seradane?????

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Clumping works better with maps, well that is what I have found.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    SpyroRue said:

Aha. Top suggestion that I never thought of. Glad you got it sorted.