Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

What are you using for the base of the prop? 

How many faces is it?

Back in the days of the beta, I did a bunch of ponytails with props for the tail and increasing the face count was the best way I found to increase the hair density of the tail.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited January 2016

Have you tried manually typing a value? I know there are at least a few things that you can manually type bigger values than the sliders go.

Post edited by j cade on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited January 2016

Let's keep in mind that the amount is number of hairs generated per square centimeter. With a default base width of 0.02 millimeters, 500 will create a solid block of hair per centimeter.

It would be impossible to generate more hair.

If you are generating the hair on a seperate prop, it would seem likely that the prop will be hidden under other hair or inside the character itself. In that case, you could increase the size of the prop and then squeeze the generated hairs together much like a person would do with a scrunchy to tie the hair together.

While I didn't use a seperate prop with any of my ponytails, I did squeeze the hair together to make it appear to come from a small space than was actually used to gererate the hair.

Post edited by Gone on
  • I managed to increase the hair amount number to 2000 (with a hair diameter of 0.007 and a prop diameter of 2 cm) which resulted in a much thicker looking ponytail. 

Well, that will teach me to rely on math instead of experimentation.laugh

After reading your post, I did some experimenting. 2000 seems to be the hard limit for amount. It even works with the default base/tip sizes.

I created a plane primitive of 2 cm (4 cm squared area), entered 2000, left everything else default then rendered. It did indeed generate the expected 8,000 hairs.

• dvitoladvitola Posts: 136

HELP! Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I just bought Garibaldi, registered it, etc., and I can't get it to launch. I'm using 4.9 on a Mac. I tried changing styles and that didn't work. I'm finding the plug in under the create menu. the shaders appear in the sliders but not the workspace. Anybody know what is wrong here? Thank you. Denise

Okay, me again! I figured out how to bring up the editor and make hair. I saved it as an object so I can use it in iray, but when I pose the dolly, her hair doesn't move along. I've parented it to her. (I use Marvelous Designer clothes as objects. parent them and have no trouble.) Should I first save the object as some sort of duf file? A prop or something? Can someone tell me how to get her hair to stick to her head so I can pose her and render in iray? Thanks again, Denise

Not sure what you've done, but you need to parent to the head and not simply to the character.

So instead of choosing the entire gensis figure, I need to choose the head only? I managed to get it to stick by selecting rigging/prop to figure. I know that must not be right. I'll definitely try your suggestion. Thanks, Gone. Denise

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited February 2016

I can create a new Garibaldi hair but there's no option to edit it in Studio 4.9 (final release and Beta build).

Added: I downloaded it manually from my products library and reinstalled it to make sure. Still no joy.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Jimbow said:

I can create a new Garibaldi hair but there's no option to edit it in Studio 4.9 (final release and Beta build).

Maybe this helps? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/943645/#Comment_943645

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    Kerya said:
    Jimbow said:

Maybe this helps? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/943645/#Comment_943645

Cheers, Kerya. I dragged and dropped the Edit Garibaldi item to the righthand Edit list in the Customise bobbins and it's now there. Pretty straightforward in the end, but shouldn't be necessary in the first place wink

• I've been using Garibaldi for about a year and it's suddenly started acting very strange--I just installed DAZ 4.9. When I create a new Garibaldi hair and go to edit it, the figure in Garibaldi's window has the pose of the figure in DAZ that the hair is attached to. (It used to have a neutral base pose and ignored the pose in DAZ.) The figure won't rotate on its axis, and the controls for turning and zooming the figure in Garibaldi don't work right. The list of Available Surfaces in the Setup screen has no slider and I can't select anything after Tongue, which means I can't select Torso. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Garibaldi but it didn't make any difference. Is anyone else running into this, and is there anything I can do? I've been using Garibaldi a lot.

I haven't installed 4.9 so I don't know if it has affected Garibaldi.

However, the figure has never loaded into the edit window in the neutral position by default. The figure has always loaded with the morphs and pose that were applied the first time you opened the edit window for the new hair. If you always had the figure in the neutral pose for the first edit, then that is how it appeared. Using the "update surfaces" button in the setup tab will update the figure to whatever the current morph/pose is.

The first opening of the edit window usually focuses on the 0,0,0 position - so if the figure is not in that position when you open the edit window it will be out of position and the controls will behave strangely because the figure is not the active focus. Hitting the bullseye or house icon just above the edit window will bring the figure into focus and the controls should work properly.

Sorry, no idea why the slider isn't showing.

• Thanks! I sort of figured that out by trial and error since I posted. The disappearance of the slider remains baffling, but I can use the arrow keys to go down to the end of the list out of sight (Torso is last) and click the engage button. I can't understand why it changed. Another mystery--according to the wiki, there are supposed to be "reset style curves" options in the Edit menu on the Styles page. I don't have those, and they'd sure come in handy sometimes. I have Garibaldi 1.1 so it ought to have everything. Do you ever use those?

I haven't used the reset button but, to access it, you need to click on the "curve tools" button (3rd icon 2nd row - looks like wrench and screwdriver). This lets you custom set the seg length (use often) and has the reset button (haven't used).

• THANK YOU! That is not where the wiki says it is. Once again, I'm in your debt!

• Hi everyone! I was directed to this page for try to get more help for my Garibaldi situation-- after I upgraed to Daz 4.9 my Garibaldi totally disappeared! I have looked everywhere for it and reinstalled it, but it just isnt there! IS there anything I can try short of reinstalling DAZ to fix this? Thank you!

For some reason, DS tends to drop menu items for some plugins. Garibaldi seems to be particularly sensitive to this.

To get the menu items back, you need to go to Windows/Workspace/Customize in DS and manually add the Garibaldi items to the Create and Edit menus.

• Do I add by importing while in /Customize?

I read your other thread after writing this. You indicated that Garibaldi was not showing up in the installed plugins tab.

If this is true, then there is a very different problem that needs to be addressed first.

Please go to the folder where you bave installed 4.9. This will be the folder where the DazStudio.exe file resides. There will be a number of sub folders. Check the shader subfolder for the garibaldiShader.sdl and the plugin subfolder for the garibaldiPlugin.dll. If they are not there, then do a search of your drive to find them and move them to these locations.

This should be done with DS closed. With luck, this should fix the problem. If not, we can return to the previous method - once the files are in the correct place.

• Thank you! I will try that! If all else absolutely fails, I will just make darn sure I have everything backed up good 'n' proper, then I will just make a clean install of everything, Daz included! I will post again exactly what I did! :D

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877

I simply reinstalled GH and DS49 was able to create and edit again

• truck1972truck1972 Posts: 14

Can anybody maybe help me out and tell me the best way to get red hair?? It keep comeing out pink for some reason.

You could analyse the materials of the free hairs here: http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/downloads.php

I'm going to assume that you set the base/tip colour to red but left the surface settings at default.

There are 2 things in the surface settings that will cause the hair colour to be washed out.

- If you have gamma correction turned on in the render engine, you must turn on the gamma switch in the hair surface settings.

- The default TRT setting (shine) has the intensity set to 0.6 with a white colour. You will need to adjust this to suit the hair colour. The intensity, colour, and colour blend all play a part in enhancing the basic colour settings from the editor.

The R setting (highlight) can also cause this but it will usually show as a hot spot rather than an overall washed out look.

edited March 2016

Ok this is going to be a realy stupid question. Where do you find these surface/TRT/R settings you speek of? 

Post edited by truck1972 on
    truck1972 said:

Ok this is going to be a realy stupid question. Where do you find these surface/TRT/R settings you speek of? 

Surface tab: www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Garibaldi_Shader

OH! thats they hide it Thank you!

• A few pages back, there is a mention to density maps to get hair on Genesis 3 Female. How would you go about making one?