Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

15052545556

Comments

  • GoneGone Posts: 807

    You need to use either an existing texture map or a UV seam guide like the ones Snowsultan makes. Take it into a paint program - Photoshop, GIMP, etc to use as a template.

    The way I do it is to make a transparent layer over this and paint the areas white where hair is grown. If you are going to have variable density, then paint with shades of grey for less dense hair growth. After I have the map painted, I  hide the template layer, add a black layer behind the map and save as a .png.

    Resize to 1024x1024 and rename as needed. Import according to previous instructions.

  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 246

    Is this plugin still being devoloped?
    Been wainting for the Look at my hair new release, but have not heard any news for Garibaldi.

  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,060
    FusionLA said:

    Is this plugin still being devoloped?
    Been wainting for the Look at my hair new release, but have not heard any news for Garibaldi.

    We have not heard

  • miss bigmiss big Posts: 27

    I've had this plugin for awhile and never knew how to do it considering there is only 2 old basic tutorials then. I went away from daz studio for a long time and yet there is still NO new tutorials. Not that impressed with it now. So with a program like this why isn't there are proper updated tutorials. I noticed the plugin was updated though.

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 9,644

    Quickstart on how to access Garibaldi Express hair plugin in DAZ Studio 4.7
    http://www.jurn.org/dazposer/?p=4447

  • mikeb1028mikeb1028 Posts: 5

    Just purchased Garibaldi after using LAMH for a very short time (too buggy/crashes).  I followed the steps to create and edit the Garibaldi hair.  In the editor, I select the available surfaces I want to paint (figure turns orange).  When I go to Paint, the right areas are in a green wireframe but I cannot paint within the frames.  If I select the "face" surface, I can paint on it, but not the other surfaces (torso, etc).  How do I paint on the other surfaces?

    Thanks!

    Mike

  • mikeb1028mikeb1028 Posts: 5
    edited May 2016

    I answered my own question after browsing the 52 pages here and found the UV maps and, later, the Snowsultans seams guide to make my own maps - haven't tried them yet.

    There has to be an easier way to do this or are we left to create UV maps for every different character/object in DAZ?  Maybe, if Garibaldi Express is still being developed, I hope, this will be addressed in the next version.

    I purchased LAMH prior to buying Garibaldi.  Daz was crashing a bit and I find the LAMH interface buggy and "clunky".  Garibaldi has a lot of potential if the author would return to it.

    Thank you, gurus, for your help and staying active in this forum. 

    Post edited by mikeb1028 on
  • MJWMJW Posts: 436

    It may have been answered, but I simply cannot get Garibaldi to work on G3 figures. Is there a method? Will the hair colours work in Iray?

    Sorry if there is already explanation above, but 52 ppages is too much to wade through.

    Thanks 

  • Miss Bad WolfMiss Bad Wolf Posts: 21,215

    Does Garibaldi Express work with iRay?

  • GoneGone Posts: 807

    Garibaldi uses Renderman Ricurves and iRay does not support that. You need to export the hair as an .obj to use in iRay.

    G3 uses a different UV mapping system that is not supported in Garibaldi. Density maps need to be created externally and imported for any surface other than the face.

    Characters are just morphs of the base figure so density maps created for the base figure will generally work on any character morph. However, extreme morphs may distort the hair in an unacceptable way. Depending on the morph, this may be corrected in the style pane. Head hair will normally use the same coverage area so once you create a basic map it can be used on any character for that base figure.

    Unless you create hair on a generic hair prop object, hair cannot be used on different base figures. Hair created for G1 cannot be used on G2 or G3 figures. Hair created on G2F cannot be used on G2M as examples.

  • MJWMJW Posts: 436

    Thanks. So in effect Garibaldi is currently not worth the bother? Pity, because it was proving useful at one point, albeit somewhat idiosyncratic.

  • GoneGone Posts: 807

    Perhaps not worth the bother to you --- but I still use it every day in every render I do.

  • mikeb1028mikeb1028 Posts: 5

    How do you create the maps for (all) the different characters?  Seems a bit tedious.

    If there was an easier way to create hair for a variety of forms/characters I think the product would be more useful.  LAMH does this without creating maps, but still it is buggy and crashes a lot.  I like the limited results I get with Garibaldi even under 3Delight. 

  • j cadej cade Posts: 1,542
    Gone said:

    Garibaldi uses Renderman Ricurves and iRay does not support that. You need to export the hair as an .obj to use in iRay.

    G3 uses a different UV mapping system that is not supported in Garibaldi. Density maps need to be created externally and imported for any surface other than the face.

    Characters are just morphs of the base figure so density maps created for the base figure will generally work on any character morph. However, extreme morphs may distort the hair in an unacceptable way. Depending on the morph, this may be corrected in the style pane. Head hair will normally use the same coverage area so once you create a basic map it can be used on any character for that base figure.

    Unless you create hair on a generic hair prop object, hair cannot be used on different base figures. Hair created for G1 cannot be used on G2 or G3 figures. Hair created on G2F cannot be used on G2M as examples.

    One trick for density maps: you can set your G3 down to base res and export as .obj and check collapse uvs, you can then import that object and use it to paint weight maps on. once youve painted on this object you can use the object or painted maps on the normal genesis 3.

     

    Personally I mostly just use skullcaps though. For short hair its way easier and can then be used across figures, for long hair it does admittedly take a bit more guess and check to get the hair not to intersect with the body.

  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

    It's very easy...simply take the templates (or a skin layer) into an image editor, add a new layer...paint the density map (I've done one for each UV set for Genesis...) and save the painted layer as your density map.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156

    .."image editor", I take it you mean a programme like Photoshop, Gimp, or PSP?

  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    kyoto kid said:

    .."image editor", I take it you mean a programme like Photoshop, Gimp, or PSP?

    Yes.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156

    ...so how does one go about painting a "density map" What tools say in Gimp or PSP are used?

  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 1,455

    Are there any good tutorials on how to creat the obj from Giribaldi?  I seem to get something but it doesn't seem to inport into any other program.

     

  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    kyoto kid said:

    ...so how does one go about painting a "density map" What tools say in Gimp or PSP are used?

    In GIMP I use a round brush with fall off...basically the same as what's used in Garibaldi.   You do need to paint the same areas that would be painted if painting the model...examine an existing map and paint similarly, tweaking for the specific UV layout.  Genesis 3 is really the only one that needs special treatment, as all the others should be paintable directly in Garibaldi.   And Gone did post a set up thread...those can be the rough templates to match.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156

    ...so how does that translate when openng the Garibaldi UI if it is "painted in a 2D programme?

  • GoneGone Posts: 807

    On page 46 are the maps mjc1016 mentioned. A few posts down from the maps are basic instructions on how to import maps into Garibaldi.

    @nemesis10 - obj export is under the file menu in the Garibaldi editor. The quality of the .obj is determined by the "amount" slider in the tweak tab. The higher the amount, the bigger the .obj will be. The .obj is in DS scale so you will need to translate to whatever scale the other app is using.

  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 1,455

    I  will try again; last time I created something that I couldn't create a uv map of... I will try again..

  • mikeb1028mikeb1028 Posts: 5

    Ok I'm trying all this.  I saved the density map from a template (black and white) as a PNG.  When I try to import it into Garibaldi, it says it could not be matched to available mesh.

    mjc1016 said:

    It's very easy...simply take the templates (or a skin layer) into an image editor, add a new layer...paint the density map (I've done one for each UV set for Genesis...) and save the painted layer as your density map.

     

  • savannasavanna Posts: 31

    I need a Tutorial in german to work with Garibaldi Express :)

  • MJWMJW Posts: 436

    Thanks to all. I still don't understand much of this, but I will try to get to grips with it. I am finding it really annoying that there are so few hair styles which permit the hair to look as if it is hanging down when the head is downwards. Garibaldi gave me potential to achieve the effects I wanted, but as I use G3 a lot, I find it is frustrating - I simply cannot use it.

  • MJWMJW Posts: 436

    Kerya and Gone, thanks. I am still having problems. I can't render in Iray, and the 3D crashed. 

    It has also crashed without rendering, and I am finding that I can do the front of the face and the hairline using Garibaldi, but I don't seem able to do the body and back of the head.

  • GoneGone Posts: 807

    G3 uses a different method for arranging UV maps so the only map visisble to Garibaldi is the face map. To paint any other surface, you would need to create the map in a paint program and import. Kerya has pointed to some basic maps for the head and the instructions on how to load them.

    Alternatively, you can "collapse" the UV maps so that all surfaces will be available for painting. This would involve exporting the figure as an object and then reimporting. There is a .pdf file on renderosity that tells you how to do this.

    The hair won't render in iray - period. Iray doesn't support strand hair methods of any kind. You would have to export the hair as an .obj and then reimport it to use in Iray. Unless you also commit to rig the .obj hair, the .obj will only work for the specific figure and pose used at the time of export.

  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,060
    Gone said:
     

    The hair won't render in iray - period. Iray doesn't support strand hair methods of any kind. You would have to export the hair as an .obj and then reimport it to use in Iray. Unless you also commit to rig the .obj hair, the .obj will only work for the specific figure and pose used at the time of export.

    I tested on of my scenes and the hair came out to 2.3 million triangles but Iray still rendered it

     

Sign In or Register to comment.