Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

I just got Garibaldi and have been tinkering with it for a few hours. I understand that the hair will not render in iray, so I saved it as an obj. The problem I'm running into is that the hair comes into the scene mostly white, and renders competely white, regardless of what colors the hair is actually supposed to be. What am I missing?

On a side note, I would love it if they found a way to make this plug-in play nice with iray (or vice versa) so we don't have to rig and re-rid the hair for different poses.

Sounds like you haven't converted the 'default' material to the iray Uber shader. Make sure the 'default' material is selected when you do the conversion.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

I just got Garibaldi and have been tinkering with it for a few hours. I understand that the hair will not render in iray, so I saved it as an obj. The problem I'm running into is that the hair comes into the scene mostly white, and renders competely white, regardless of what colors the hair is actually supposed to be. What am I missing?

On a side note, I would love it if they found a way to make this plug-in play nice with iray (or vice versa) so we don't have to rig and re-rid the hair for different poses.

You will need to apply Iray shaders to the mesh.   You may want to try using this - http://www.daz3d.com/subsurface-workshop-sss-shaders-for-iray - to get the hair looking more realistic.  I am not sure if this will work with it or not - http://www.daz3d.com/uht2-ultimate-color - as its intended for modeled hair.

• Jimbow said:

Sounds like you haven't converted the 'default' material to the iray Uber shader. Make sure the 'default' material is selected when you do the conversion.

There isn't an option for any kind of material. The plug-in has "Radial Subdivisions" and "UVs Type". Importing also doesn't give me any option to load in a material. I may try the additional addons. Also, the lighting I have also doesn't want to render. I appreciate the help, I do.

edited September 2016
    Seradane said:

There isn't an option for any kind of material. The plug-in has "Radial Subdivisions" and "UVs Type". Importing also doesn't give me any option to load in a material. I may try the additional addons. Also, the lighting I have also doesn't want to render. I appreciate the help, I do.

You can't apply iray materials in the Gairbaldi export dialogue. Export the hair as an obj and load the exported obj into your scene. After you load in the exported obj of your hair, select it and go to the Surfaces tab and find its material in the Editor sub-tab. Click on the material so that it's selected (it should be named 'default'), and then switch to your Presets sub-tab and find the iray Uber shader preset. Doubleclick on that shader's icon. That should have applied the iray Uber shader to your hair's surface.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • SeradaneSeradane Posts: 12
    edited September 2016
    Jimbow said:
    Seradane said:

You can't apply iray materials in the Gairbaldi export dialogue. Export the hair as an obj and load the exported obj into your scene. After you load in the exported obj of your hair, select it and go to the Surfaces tab and find its material in the Editor sub-tab. Click on the material so that it's selected (it should be named 'default'), and then switch to your Presets sub-tab and find the iray Uber shader preset. Doubleclick on that shader's icon. That should have applied the iray Uber shader to your hair's surface.

I found the !DefaultHair and the !Iray Uber Base. Both were in the Presets tab, and neither changed anything. Well, almost. The shader did -something-, but without a proper material/texture, I could hardly tell the difference. Even though it creates a flat render, changing the diffuse color seemed to be the only thing that worked.

Post edited by Seradane on

There is no !DefaultHair shader for iray as far as I'm aware. Did you have the hair's default material selected in the Surfaces tab and did the surface's editor options change to Metallicity/Roughness?  Check that the Emission colour in the material is black. Also switch off your scene's Headlight in the Render tab (General > Never).

• Did those things. The hair is supposed to be black, and this is how it renders...

Changing the base color to black works, but produces a flat image.

edited September 2016

That looks like it could be a translucency thing. Is the translucency colour also black/very very dark, and if it's a Scatter&Transmit setup, is that also very very dark? If the aforementioend are white, then you'll get hair that looks like that.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • Messed with the translucency and the scatter/transmit (they were both white), and it still didn't change much. BUT! With a little photoshop fun, this was the result:

Still needs a decent amount of work, but at least it's finally going in the right direction. :D I appreciate your help and insight.

• Ha! Now I'm having rigging issues. I did the Transfer Utility, but probably checked/unckecked something that I shouldn't have. When leaving all the General Options boxes as default, the hair would move with the figure, but hover above it rather than sit on the head like it's supposed to.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I didn't try obj export up to now ... so I am guessing:

the hair is made for that figure - why don't you simply parent the obj to the head?

• Well, that was rather simple. One of these days, the hair may need to have some kind of movement to it, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks!

• KRDKRD Posts: 0
    BUT this made no difference as the scrollbar is for the whole rhs panel (Workspace Settings) and the "Available Surfaces" box remains just that bit too small to allow me to access the torso (which is the only missing surface).

Same here.

Workaround: You can reach the torso with the "down"-Key and select it with "spacebar".

• jpbbfjpbbf Posts: 8
    edited October 2016

Hi all, 

I am new to Garibaldi Express.  Using Daz Studio Pro 4.9 and Garibaldi Express v1.1, on OSX 10.11 32GB RAM.  Using Genesis 3 Models

I am having difficulities painting surface on "Torso" and other body parts.  The only working part is Face but it doesn't cover the whole scalp.  I've tried both below mapping on #46 pages as following:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/865219/#Comment_865219

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/865479/#Comment_865479

I can manually paint on Face, However, it still doesn't work on other body parts.  Is there other workaround for this issue? Thanks a lot. 

2016-10-25 15.55.43.png
    964 x 425 - 233K
    Post edited by jpbbf on
    edited October 2016

I just managed to have a workaround after realized it's a UV's problem.  Here is what I've done for sharing, just in case someone also using Blender like me. 

1. Export the G3 models as .obj and then import to Blender

2. Delete all unrelated body parts, all below shoulder level; also remove eyeballs, tongue, teeths, lower jaw

3. Select the Face (Head) and tab into the Mesh Editing Mode

4. Open UV Editing Layout, then exercise [UVs> Unwarp], a new UV map is automatically generated

5. Export as an .obj with "Include UVs" checked, and uncheck "Objects as OBJ Object" (then import as a single object in Daz)

In Daz:

1. Import that UV fixed object in blender format (later blander format X=X Y=Y Z=Z coordination)

2. Create Garibaldi Hair to the imported Mesh, Choose also Face + Torso, and do happy painting!

3. Once it's done, export your styled hair it as Obj. (Because I am using both Reality + iRay render)

4. Import the styled-hair .obj again into the real scene. (This is the latest character I am working on :-> ) 

5. parent your hair object to your G3 figure>Head. It's done!

螢幕截圖 2016-10-25 17.06.21.png
    535 x 542 - 284K
    螢幕截圖 2016-10-25 17.38.20.png
    690 x 637 - 358K
    螢幕截圖 2016-10-25 17.39.58.png
    1504 x 815 - 310K
    Post edited by jpbbf on
  • The issue is the UDIM system used by Genesis 3 - you can get around that by using the Collapse UVs option in OBJ export and then painting on that item.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...can anything be done in Hexagon to fix this?

Blender makes my brain feel like it was put in one and the puree button was pressed.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Gone posted a set of maps up thread...they can be used for most G3F characters and need minor tweaking...like layer them over the face/head maps in an image editor to, to fill in any areas not covered/differing from the base UV set.

Or, using a texture set and image editor you can paint a new layer to use...

There's no need for doing anything in Blender or Hexagon, etc.

Change your G3F/M mesh resolution to Base. Export G3F/M as an obj while it's at Base mesh resolution. Tick the option to 'Collapse UV Tiles'.

Go to the top menu and choose Edit > Figure > Geometry, click on 'Load UV set' and use the popup browser to choose the base resolution G3F/M you just exported.

Give the UV set a name in the next popup.

Go to your G3F/M surfaces and change your surface UVs to the new UV set.

Create a new Garibaldi Hair and click on Face and Torso in setup. Paint away.

Should take a minute at most.

Jimbow said:

Change your G3F/M mesh resolution to Base. Export G3F/M as an obj while it's at Base mesh resolution. Tick the option to 'Collapse UV Tiles'.

Go to the top menu and choose Edit > Figure > Geometry, click on 'Load UV set' and use the popup browser to choose the base resolution G3F/M you just exported.

Will a hair created like that still load for another G3F/M UV set?

edited October 2016

Yes (just tried it with Olympia7 UVs), as long as you followed the same steps but with the initial UVs set to your required UV in the Surfaces tab before you do the figure export.

Edit: I may have misunderstood you.

I just loaded a preset Gairibaldi hair figure onto G3F and it was showing up red (non-editable). After changing its Fit To property to G3F it turned green.

But if you originally save the Gaibaldi Hair as a figure when it's a child of G3F then it loads fine. I'm not sure what happens to paint masks because they might be UV specific, but the hair itself seems to be vertex/polygon distributed.

Post edited by Jimbow on

Thank you!

edited November 2016

Thanks all.

Gave up the Garibaldi since it creates a lot problem while rendering via Reality with Mac Pro 6-core 32GB + AMD D300 dual OpenCL rendering (crash while render complex hair model).  Will do it purely in Blender's particle system since I need it for animation.

I guess it's the problem of Mac's / AMD OpenCL issue.  Can render via CPU's OpenCL without crash; or CPU+GPU OpenCL rendering without Garibaldi's hairs.  Strange...

Post edited by jpbbf on
  •  

Jimbow said:

I attempted that but when loading the UV it declares that it is invalid and errors out on the import. A screenshot of the export settings may be useful in troubleshooting if you have the time.

Are you sure you exported G3 at base resolution? Zero everything?

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,050

Just got the Garibaldi Express Hair System... WOW... it's great!  Not sure if it is supported anymore... Lots of the links on the web page don't work.  I have a few questions... Not sure if anyone can answer.

I'm having problems with Genesis 3 characters... All I can make hair for is the FACE... there is no head to set up.. only TORSO... plus the legs and arms won't accept hair.  This program is so old I'm not sure if anyone is still working on this issue. 

Can't seem to find a way to export the hair to Hexagon to work as an OBJ file... So I guess that means the hair can't be sold?  Unless I'm missing something that's a bummer. 

All in all I'm having fun!  I was able to make hair right from download with only watching the video once... and a second time step-by-step.  Just wish it would work on the new Genesis 3 figures and could sell the hair once made....

Are we posting samples of our work here too???

• GoneGone Posts: 833

There are a couple of ways to paint the other surfaces that are discussed in the last few pages of this thread.

Basically, you can paint the density maps is a paint program and then import them or you can export G3 as an .obj and use the collapse UV option. You can then paint on this object and save the hair node for importing to your "working" G3.

Hair can be exported as an .obj by using the File->export command in the Garibaldi editor. This is also discussed in detail up thread.

Nothing is stopping you from selling native Garibaldi hair - it's just that your client base will have to own Garibaldi to use it. Exporting to .obj and then rigging the hair will make it available to anyone but the hair file may be rather large unless you have some way to decimate the .obj.

Gone said:

There are a couple of ways to paint the other surfaces that are discussed in the last few pages of this thread.

Basically, you can paint the density maps is a paint program and then import them or you can export G3 as an .obj and use the collapse UV option. You can then paint on this object and save the hair node for importing to your "working" G3.

Hair can be exported as an .obj by using the File->export command in the Garibaldi editor. This is also discussed in detail up thread.

Nothing is stopping you from selling native Garibaldi hair - it's just that your client base will have to own Garibaldi to use it. Exporting to .obj and then rigging the hair will make it available to anyone but the hair file may be rather large unless you have some way to decimate the .obj.

Thank you Gone (I guess you are not really GONE... lol)... Looks like I have my work cut out for me reading the 54 pages :)... I'll have to do that in pieces... There's a lot to read and take in... I understand most of what you said but I'll need to watch the tutorial again and read some more of the written tutorials on the Garibaldi website to understand the rest.

Not sure if the broken links can be fixed... I was able to download all the hair sample files... except.. for the lion :(  That link is broken. 

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Most of the info for G3 is in the last 10 pages - and a lot of the posts don't relate to "how to" so can be skipped over if you like. smiley

Keep in mind that hair is figure specific so it can't be used on other figures. (G3F hair can be used on any G3F character but not on G3M or any earlier character). To get "generic" hair, you would have to build it on a hair cap or make a rigged .obj.

All the hair samples you downloaded were made for G1. G2 and G3 weren't around at the time.

edited December 2016
        Gone said:

Most of the info for G3 is in the last 10 pages - and a lot of the posts don't relate to "how to" so can be skipped over if you like. smiley

Keep in mind that hair is figure specific so it can't be used on other figures. (G3F hair can be used on any G3F character but not on G3M or any earlier character). To get "generic" hair, you would have to build it on a hair cap or make a rigged .obj.

All the hair samples you downloaded were made for G1. G2 and G3 weren't around at the time.

Thank you again Gone... I had a long play last night with swapping characters and I found out the hair is character specific like you said.. that is why I was hoping to be able to save an OBJ file.. I'm still learning hexagon so I'll figure it out one of these days.. LOL.  Loved the hair samples... I use G1 a lot and have oodles of characters... I figure they are good places to start... Still can't download the Lion hair sample though... but I think I can figure it out.  :)  Not sure how to make a hair cap or rigged obj... still too new... but I'm learning in baby steps :)  Time for me to 'skim' the last 10 pages of this thread :)  Thanks oodles!

Post edited by Llola Lane on