WIP Thread for June New Users Contest.

Comments

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

kylumi said:
    OK...............If your unsure....throw another light at it..:lol:

Your experiment has resulted in something very beautiful, even if you don't think so. That Bruuna, she is one great babe! It is Bruuna, isn't it?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

dalbelo said:
    Here is the latest version with a cool blue background. I took some extra time to attempt some bounce lighting on her shoulders. The last thing I did was re-position the eyes because they didn't seem quite right in the previous renders.

That is much better. I really like it.

edited December 1969

dalbelo said:
    Here is the latest version with a cool blue background. I took some extra time to attempt some bounce lighting on her shoulders. The last thing I did was re-position the eyes because they didn't seem quite right in the previous renders.

dalbelo, Yes that is much better. We "see" her.

• kylumikylumi Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    kylumi said:

Your experiment has resulted in something very beautiful, even if you don't think so. That Bruuna, she is one great babe! It is Bruuna, isn't it?

That was not the finished image Dollygirl.................you can check out how she turned out here, http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1389/P15/

;-)

edited December 1969

kylumi said:
    Dollygirl said:
    kylumi said:

That was not the finished image Dollygirl.................you can check out how she turned out here, http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1389/P15/

;-)

As always kylumi you have done it up wonderful. How is it that such a simple image can have so much impact? Oh right! that is what we are trying to learn here.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    kylumi said:
    Dollygirl said:
    kylumi said:

;-)

As always kylumi you have done it up wonderful. How is it that such a simple image can have so much impact? Oh right! that is what we are trying to learn here.

Yes, sweetie.............your spot on, it is Bruuna. I just added another texture.
    Thank you for the kind comments, too ;-)

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

Wow, so many posts while I was sleeping (I am in Australia) so many tips and good advice.

Thanks for the comments Dollygirl, I am sure that one of the biggest mistakes I have been making is that my characters rarely look at the camera.

Maybe my work-flow is wrong but I seem to spend a lot of time in the surfaces tab before I add a light to the scene, most models load with really high glossiness, specularity and a plastic lighting model, also the bump is usually set to low. I do lots of spot renders just using the worklights because everything is easy to see and if it looks good under the worklights it usually looks great with studio lighting.

Another thing I am experimenting with is adding a fourth light (to the standard three) placing at 90 degrees to the main light and setting it for specular only (I remember reading about this in the old forum) it seems to make the highlights on surfaces reflect back towards the camera.

There are so many great renders this month I think the advisors (can't think of a better term at the moment) should all be given a pat on the back.

• mhomes_047ff78b8dmhomes_047ff78b8d Posts: 18
    edited June 2012

Dollygirl said:
    Layden said:
    I took to heart everything that I have been reading here regarding proper lighting techniques and did my best to put what I learned into practice.

I changed the background, reworked the lighting and this was my end result.

Layden.

Layden,
    If you are still wanting to play with your scene may I make a suggestion? Keep your spots, keep your pose, keep everything but add the Uber-environment. From your render it looks like you are using the Amy Elite texture. This is designed to use onmifreaker's Uber Human Surface Shader with the Uber light system. I like this set:
    http://inaneglory.deviantart.com/art/Simple-Soft-Lighting-Freebie-193115008
    You will get a really cool red head skin effect with this setup, pale, milky and velvety. Here is the link to set it up her skin.
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/azproduct/7412
    Also bring back your Fantasy background as this won't bother the uber-environment. Because it is a close up I would dial down the bump number a little so she doesn't look like she has had small pox.
    This suggestion in no way means that your choosen render is not good. It is just something to experience. I did this setup for one of my pin-ups in my husband's pin-up calendar and I think she was one of my most favorite pieces. The Amy texture is just downright beautiful. If you want to you could also apply the shader to the rose. Rose petals when you hold them up to the light look like skin too.
    Hope you try this but you don't have to tell me that you did. I understand.
    Lonnie

Thank you for the info! - I learn something new every day! - The skin texture that I had chosen was in the higher rang of my medium skin tones (I've collected 3rd party and Daz skin mats) It isn't the Amy Elite skin texture. I think it is one of the free skin textures that I had downloaded from ShareCG a while back and it happened to be a freckle skin mat..which is something that I actually admire in "real life". Before today, ...before your post, I wasn't exactly sure of what "bump" actually did. Now I know. lol. Alas, I have already submitted my picture, but I'm okay with it...well, pretty much okay with it.

The fantasy background returned, the lighting was changed to simulate daylight and the omnifreaker was added to the skin. I wasn't aware that I could apply the shader to the rose. It makes sense that I could, at the time it didn't even enter my mind that it was an option.

I've seen some wonderful renders by so many people and I know that mine probably pales in comparison but I'm still at the training wheels stage. lol But thank you so much. You gave me a lot to think about in regards to bump numbers!

Layden

Post edited by mhomes_047ff78b8d on
    edited December 1969

I think this one is ready but would love to hear your thoughts

medi01.jpg
    600 x 800 - 251K
    edited December 1969

This is not an entry, I did this one for fun to see if I could show Mr Hydes soft side

hyde02.jpg
    600 x 800 - 319K
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Ok, I am not particularly good at portraits. It is not my forte. But I thought I would give it a go to see what I could come up with and to show an example of what can be done. Maybe inspire some to play with some different lighting ideas and such. Obviously not an entry.

Asian-Portrait.jpg
    800 x 800 - 85K
    edited December 1969

LycanthropeX

Ok, I am not particularly good at portraits. It is not my forte. But I thought I would give it a go to see what I could come up with and to show an example of what can be done. Maybe inspire some to play with some different lighting ideas and such. Obviously not an entry.

That is a beautiful render, one day I hope to be able to produce pictures of that quality.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Like Lycan, I rarely do portraits myself, but I thought I should follow his lead and post one that I did do, which I have a copy small enough for the curretnforum limitations.

ryan_and_myra_painted.jpg
    683 x 883 - 446K
    edited June 2012

chohole said:
    Like Lycan, I rarely do portraits myself, but I thought I should follow his lead and post one that I did do, which I have a copy small enough for the curretnforum limitations.

Cheater,...............you have just painted this one today :vampire:

I actually like doing the painterly look myself, so well done my friend. Super work :coolsmile:

Post edited by kylumi on
    edited June 2012

Diolch yn fawr fy Cymoedd ffrind

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Here is the first image both raw and post-worked one that I have done so far. I'm still not happy with the little details, I'm thinking of going in to add wear and tear on the chair it's self.

I've used genesis with the cyborg super-suit preset with Aldora hair. That is the command chair inside the generic scifi hallway. I went and deleted many of the lights so that I only have four spotlights on her. One red from the left side and behind and then the other three in an arc in front of her. The one of the far right in front of her is the one that I set for shadows.

Post work is just emphasizing the highlights, shadows, and skin tone a bit, blurring them in photoshop to try and get more of a light bounce effect.

I love the effect of the clear monitor and the sci-fi theme. I would however move the scene to the background and put her 2/3rds off to the side looking at the camera. Kind of like a military graduation picture. Maybe make the picture a Captain's picture with the bridge and the cool clear monitors with the bridge crew in the background.
    That supersuit looks pretty neat. I have bought it but not gotten it out of the box yet.

edited December 1969

Layden said:

Thank you for the info! - I learn something new every day! - The skin texture that I had chosen was in the higher rang of my medium skin tones (I've collected 3rd party and Daz skin mats) It isn't the Amy Elite skin texture. I think it is one of the free skin textures that I had downloaded from ShareCG a while back and it happened to be a freckle skin mat..which is something that I actually admire in "real life". Before today, ...before your post, I wasn't exactly sure of what "bump" actually did. Now I know. lol. Alas, I have already submitted my picture, but I'm okay with it...well, pretty much okay with it.

The fantasy background returned, the lighting was changed to simulate daylight and the omnifreaker was added to the skin. I wasn't aware that I could apply the shader to the rose. It makes sense that I could, at the time it didn't even enter my mind that it was an option.

I've seen some wonderful renders by so many people and I know that mine probably pales in comparison but I'm still at the training wheels stage. lol But thank you so much. You gave me a lot to think about in regards to bump numbers!

Layden

Your welcome Layden. I too like the freckle skin. Do you have the link for the one you are talking about?

Yes omnifreaker's shader can be used on anything that has a light halo surrounding the surface. I think he is trying to imitate the small hairs on our skin that catch the light and bounce around just above the surface, so flower petals, skin, velvet fabric all do that. Like one of you said earlier it is important to understand why as well as how to use these tools. Oh yes I remember the day I discovered about bump and displacement. I spent days putting fur on everything!

edited December 1969

version3 said:
    I think this one is ready but would love to hear your thoughts

version3, Much better pose and the lighting on him is good. What I would do is gussy him up. Here are some rings
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/51199/View/11/Poser/Rings-Collection
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/48854/View/11/Poser/Vulcan-Rings-M3-M4-V3-v4
    I like the fast metals in this shader pack
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/27568/related/7/Material-and-Shader/Ultimate-Shader-Pack-for-DAZ-Studio-UPDATED_2011

I would also see if there are some weave bump files that could be used on the Shirt and Hat.
    Here is one but you would have to grey scale it in Photoshop or Gimp.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/28859/View/6/Texture/Seamless-Weave/Basket-texture

I think you should enter Mr. Hyde. His portrait reflects what you said you were trying to achieve.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

I want to thank everybody for all those tips and advice it was very helpful, I learn a lot. :-)

edited December 1969

That's good. I hope you are enjoying yourself as well. THese contests are supposed to be fun as well as educational.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    That's good. I hope you are enjoying yourself as well. THese contests are supposed to be fun as well as educational.

Yes I do
  • mhomes_047ff78b8dmhomes_047ff78b8d Posts: 18
    edited June 2012

Dolly wrote.,

"Your welcome Layden. I too like the freckle skin. Do you have the link for the one you are talking about?

Yes omnifreaker's shader can be used on anything that has a light halo surrounding the surface. I think he is trying to imitate the small hairs on our skin that catch the light and bounce around just above the surface, so flower petals, skin, velvet fabric all do that. Like one of you said earlier it is important to understand why as well as how to use these tools. Oh yes I remember the day I discovered about bump and displacement. I spent days putting fur on everything!"
    .............................................................................................................................................................................................

I had submitted the portrait yesterday afternoon in the thread for the "June new users Contest"

I actually tried the Omnifreaker on her hair and skin at the same time before I rendered the scene. From what I saw (before Daz Studio crashed from lack of memory), it actually looked pretty good. I wont make the same mistake next time though.... Thank heavens that I save as I go along in case anything happens. I am going to play around with the bump displacement today. I have some desk top picture ideas and I would like to get them out of my head. lol

Here is the link to final render. :)
    http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=506&aid=3039_ZsL04Uf9CXs6RGC9WpGO&board_id=1

~Layden

Post edited by mhomes_047ff78b8d on
    edited June 2012

in my image above i used a black and white image of stripes as a gel for one of my spot lights, this gives the effect of the light shining through blinds. you can create a number of lighting effects using gels. If you want a scene to look like the light is reflecting off water, of light shining through leaves and branches in a forest, even a bat symbol can be done with light gels

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
    edited December 1969

in my image above i used a black and white image of stripes as a gel for one of my spot lights, this gives the effect of the light shining through blinds. you can create a number of lighting effects using gels. If you want a seen to look like the light is reflecting off water, of light shining through leaves and branches in a forest, even a bat symbol can be done with light gels

Ok Lycan, I don't know how to use gel lights. Can you xplane pretty please? Thanks Lonnie

edited December 1969

not sure how to do them in DS, in Poser you simply apply an image as a material to a light. The effect works best with spot lights. In Poser you select the light you want to use, and click material, I create a new node on the diffuse channel, and set it to 2d image map, then you can adjust the image strength to make it lighter or darker, and adjust the U and V scale to set the size of the shadows cast. that is all there is to it really. I like to make the images i use for gels fairly large. 1200 x 1200 or larger,

edited December 1969

The gel trick can be useful to expand your image, by having shadows of things that are not in the image its self, it makes the viewer think there is a bigger environment than what is seen in the image. You can do other things with it as well, say you want to do an image of a woman in fear, with the shadow of a man with a knife on the wall behind her. Instead of actually setting up a figure for the man and lighting him to cast the shadow, you can just use a light gel

edited December 1969

In this image I rendered the background and the figure separately and combined them in post work. to get the effect of the light shining through the wire cage, i created a gel to cast the shadow of the cage on the figure

Fighter.jpg
    800 x 800 - 143K
    edited December 1969

The gel trick can be useful to expand your image, by having shadows of things that are not in the image its self, it makes the viewer think there is a bigger environment than what is seen in the image. You can do other things with it as well, say you want to do an image of a woman in fear, with the shadow of a man with a knife on the wall behind her. Instead of actually setting up a figure for the man and lighting him to cast the shadow, you can just use a light gel

Thanks Lycan for the instructions. I have Poser2010 as well as DS but I am pretty much a newb when it comes to Poser. I still haven't figured out how to change mat settings on objects in it. Ah the little things. But I am looking forward to playing with it and the gel lights. I might go looking in the DAZ archive and see if I can find the tut about gels.
    Lonnie

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

This can be faked in DS very easily. You create a black and white image in any 2D art program the higher the resolution the better and save it as Blinds for example. In DS you create a primative plane and place it infront of your light, say a spotlight. Load the black and white image named Blinds.jpg as a Opacity setting for your plane. The light will pass through the white areas and be blocked by the black areas.

If that is not clear I can do a quick tut with images. Just say you would like to have it and it will get done today.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Someone told me once that DS can do light gels in the same way Poser does them, but i sooooo don't know DS so i wouldn't begin to know how