Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

you could try fitting it to Genesis in Studio and saving as a .duf scene and importing that,
    I have not got it so cannot test

tried all that.. no go :roll:

the coat loads but no morphs and the clothes don't load at all

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Stezza :)

I believe that 3D universe made a statement some time ago that their products would not be supported in Carrara.

I think that most of their products use some sort of scripting in DS, ....which obviously isn't available in Carrara.

edited December 1969

Thx 3dage, It's a genesis figure morph with clothing. One would think there would be a basic structure to it which would allow it to load in Carrara 8.5. Obviously not which is a shame.

3du scripting is for other special models not this one that I'm aware. :-(

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 2012

Lola by 3D celebrity loads without diffuse and bump textures, I manually added them but the default blue colour it loads with is needed to balance out the face only, I used a mixer and value of 10%.
    without blue diffuse second image, mixed centre. no mix below

blue.jpg
    350 x 418 - 25K
    Doc4.png
    920 x 815 - 677K
    Doc3.jpg
    895 x 703 - 73K
    Doc5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've been installing a few Carrara items and the installer throws me an error: UNABLE TO CREATE DIRECTORY: /resources..., plaus several files that should go in the resources folder....

Included installers are
    SIRIUS LABS
    ABORETUM vol 1

I suspect this is a folder inside the Carrara app (hidden in osX), but the installer doesn't allow me to just install into a dummy folder. Any ideas? It looks like these items just aren't being installed....

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

I've been installing a few Carrara items and the installer throws me an error: UNABLE TO CREATE DIRECTORY: /resources..., plaus several files that should go in the resources folder....

Included installers are
    SIRIUS LABS
    ABORETUM vol 1

I suspect this is a folder inside the Carrara app (hidden in osX), but the installer doesn't allow me to just install into a dummy folder. Any ideas? It looks like these items just aren't being installed....

Are these new installers or something? I just tried installing Arboretum 2 to a dummy folder on my desktop, and the folders were fine, content in them, which I'd move into the Capp package (actually, I use aliases of those folders so I don't have to "show package contents" each time I install). I'd try Arboretum 1 but I can't find the installer at the moment.

edited December 1969

I've been installing a few Carrara items and the installer throws me an error: UNABLE TO CREATE DIRECTORY: /resources..., plus several files that should go in the resources folder....

Included installers are
    SIRIUS LABS
    ABORETUM vol 1

Are these new installers or something?

They are fresh downloads from last night.... I attempted to install them into my "fake" Carrara content folder..., then also to the actual C8.5 beta. Both times on both products I got the Resources folder error.

I remember an old issue with leaves that they need to be installed internally... not sure that is still and issue, and of course these two products are from different artists...

edited December 2012

I've been installing a few Carrara items and the installer throws me an error: UNABLE TO CREATE DIRECTORY: /resources..., plus several files that should go in the resources folder....

Included installers are
    SIRIUS LABS
    ABORETUM vol 1

Are these new installers or something?

They are fresh downloads from last night.... I attempted to install them into my "fake" Carrara content folder..., then also to the actual C8.5 beta. Both times on both products I got the Resources folder error.

I remember an old issue with leaves that they need to be installed internally... not sure that is still and issue, and of course these two products are from different artists...

Yeah. Arboretum 2 install today to my desktop gave me three folders, two of which would have to be put into the app—a Data/Plants/Howie's Horticulture/Arboretum Vol 2 with some .car files which are the lea files — a Presets/Plants/Howie's Horticulture/Arboretum Vol 2 with some .car files which are the tree/plan presets—both of which would go into the C app contents (right-cliuck on the app, choose "Show Package Contents" then go into the Contents folder and then the MacOS folder, and copy Howie's Horticulture/Arboretum folders into the Data and Presets folders of the Carrara.app). Make sense? There's nothing else in Arboretum except internal files — I checked my C8.app, and there are Arboretum Vol. 1 folders in both those same locations as well as the Vol. 2 folders, so ... Same thing with Sirius Labs, except I think that one has other folders to go internally, probably Scenes folders, but I don't have that product.

Honestly, I've never tried to install directly into Carrara, I've always installed stuff into a dummy folder, then transferred in by hand via alias folders. I like knowing where they all go. Compulsive mind, I guess.

[Edit: the third folder with Arboretum is the ReadMe folder, and wh o cares where it goes? There used to be Howie install instructions at DAZ but I'm not sure where they are now.]

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
    edited December 2012

BTW, these were the old installers...if you can't get the installer to install to a blank folder of your choosing...let me know, I'll redownload Arboretum 1 and try it tomorrow. It shouldn't be this big a deal, still, who knows what strangeness lurks in the heart of DAZ.

[Edit: Just redownloaded Volume 1, got the same type of installer, installed to a new folder on my desktop, got the "Data", "Presets" and "ReadMe" folders in them whose content I would transfer into the app package. Maybe I'm just not explaining well.]

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
  • waxfin_c9ea3eab69waxfin_c9ea3eab69 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

Lola by 3D celebrity loads without diffuse and bump textures, I manually added them but the default blue colour it loads with is needed to balance out the face only, I used a mixer and value of 10%.
    without blue diffuse second image, mixed centre. no mix below

thanks wendy for taking the time on this

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

Rosy Shoes for V4, a platinum club freebie
    even in Daz studio you have to transform them after applying the foot pose but cannot do that in Carrara, the slider equivalent, the Z translate motion parameter will not move them.
    so lots of painful adjustment in vertex room it is!

finally on Bruuna, who needed EXTRA adjusting on everything!! but that was expected

Doc3.jpg
    1292 x 2000 - 143K
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I have had trouble with the new set, "Ancient Prophecies"
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ancient-prophecies
    I'm running Carrara 7 Pro on a PC, Windows XP (can't remember my RAM offhand).
    It loads, but it is very hard to work with.
    Sometimes I can't see parts of it in the Assembly room. The visibility is on and I can see the walls in tests renders.
    When I need to turn off walls, Carrara crashes.
    I like the set, but I'm having a hard time.
    I even tried to save it as a Carrara file. Sometimes the file would open, sometimes not.
    Has anyone else used this set with success?

edited December 1969

Perfect V4.
    Has anyone used any of these sets in Carrara?
    They are having a sale over in Rendo, 50% off.
    I wanted to pick up Perfect Legs V4, but am not sure if they work in Carrara.
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/perfect-legs-v4---automatic-fix/93567

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Perfect V4.

They will not work natively in Carrara. As I understand, Fenric worked out a plugin that goes towards making these importable from Poser, but there is still some hand editing that will have to be done to get the channels their proper names....

I have not done this myself. Please search around for that info (i have a link to the old forums, I believe the info may be there(?) I did not find it on Fenric's site...

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Perfect V4.

They will not work natively in Carrara. As I understand, Fenric worked out a plugin that goes towards making these importable from Poser, but there is still some hand editing that will have to be done to get the channels their proper names....

I have not done this myself. Please search around for that info (i have a link to the old forums, I believe the info may be there(?) I did not find it on Fenric's site...
    Thanks for the info Holly.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    tsarist said:
    Perfect V4.

Thanks for the info Holly.Try asking Fenric.
    The reason I say this is that I think he actually has a fix for it - and I think it might be free. Which is why you don't find it for sale. He's a fox, but he rarely bites. You should drop him a line.
    edited December 1969

Tsarist, I think I found the thread where Fenric talks about this: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=185755

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

You can't find it on my site because it's not - it's on ShareCG

http://www.sharecg.com/v/60711/view/10/Software-and-Tools/Fix-Pose-Channels-for-Carrara

edited December 1969

Fenric R O C K S ! ! !
    Well, so do Holly and Tsarist! :coolhmm:

edited December 1969

Ha! I was just coming back her to post the link, LOL!

edited December 1969

Holly R O C K S ! ! !

edited December 1969

Thanks Holly, Fenric, and Dartanbeck!
    I appreciate the quick and helpful answers.
    I'm going to check it out when I get to my other computer.

edited December 1969

I have the Mars Curiosity Rover from renderosity..

all the poses work no probs in DS and in Poser.. but don't work in Carrara any version..

Any ideas why this would be so and how to fix it.

Thanks

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited September 2013

sorry don't have it, I've found some figures load with constraints on "Full", and I can't move them etc

taking this off helps.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    sorry don't have it, I've found some figures load with constraints on "Full", and I can't move them etc

taking this off helps.

I will note that can cause other very nasty things to happen as the bones are no longer held in relative position. Use with extreme caution, and note rigged items are not supposed to be used without Constraints.
    edited September 2013

head wax said:

taking this off helps.

I will note that can cause other very nasty things to happen as the bones are no longer held in relative position. Use with extreme caution, and note rigged items are not supposed to be used without Constraints.

thanks spooky good point
    in past I've had twouble every time with Nogin's chicken and had in frozen in place

selecting he top of the figure tree and changing constraints to 'none' fixed it -
    without removing the constraints for the joints
    that said, it's working fine now,- so must be in certain scenes? who knows? :)

good to see you on the forums again

PS: the chook wasn't conformed to another figure etc

edit: problem occurs in -ve x, z,y axis when a second chicken is added
    the second chicken wont go past the first chicken's co=ordinates?

very weird

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

taking this off helps.

thanks,
    tried, but none of those things work..

it's like the morphs aren't recognised in Cararra.. I've tried saving as a DUF and as a new poser file but no joy..

thanks anyways :-/

edited December 1969

hmm so it's not rigged with poser's "new" weight mapping system?? whatever it's called? maybe Fenric knows how to fix it then?

is it poses or morphs that aren't working?

edited December 1969

all of these :)

curiosity.jpg
    900 x 599 - 130K
    edited December 1969

I saved the curiosity as a DUF file

Try to open in latest Carrara 8.5 and get an IO error :ohh: