Animation Club for Carrara , Week #2 - Spooky Hollow. Ready To watch..

Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited November 2016

Hey Dart,

Here is the carrara file for scene 8 with the witch included.  The render time for the animation goes starts from 21 seconds to 36.03 seconds.  I was going to take the last frame of this scene and hand paint it in photopaint to make her look like a more detailed witch .Wgdjohn suggested this painted picture would remain viewable for 4 or 5 secconds while some of the credits are shown . ie The End  etc.

I should note when rendering this out  the "simulating particles" takes along time to finish.(5-10min on my machine) so test renders are a pain. It only does it once but it is a pain.angry

Let me know if you have any issues downloading this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-aBvxIlPU5GZUdYWmRQbHBSclk

Post edited by mmoir on

Stezza, I got it to work . Just took a little bit of time.

Stezza said:
    mmoir said:

Could someone upload the Broom model , the zip file stezza uploaded isn't working for met.sad

sorry mmoir I just renamed the file to zip, as car files can't be attached to the post but zip files can so I kind of fooled it.

just download and rename 'Witches Broom.zip' to 'Witches Broom.car'   yes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Ahh... took me a few reads to figure out what you meant... but I got it. You want a render of the final frame (touched up to look more realistic/detailed) and hold that image at the end of the show, right?

Sweet! I was just about done doing mine! LOL

I bet yours is better though ;)

Dart,  I am looking forward to seeing it all put together. cool

Silly me... now I see that the same cool lighting circumstances I was talking about above, for Panel 4, is also going on in Panel 2 - just that it's further away, the woods is less dense, so not quite as Dark yet! Mwaaahaaahaaaahaaaaa!!!

This is going to be cool! Too bad we've missed Halloween :(

I was going to have her smash into the camera and have it fall to the ground - sputtering for a few seconds, then coming back to focus on the cauldron scene sideways, through the bushes! LOL

edited November 2016

You could have 2 animations with different endings. The ending was wgdjohns idea, I didn't get it at first when I read his blurb until later. 

Ahh... took me a few reads to figure out what you meant... but I got it. You want a render of the final frame (touched up to look more realistic/detailed) and hold that image at the end of the show, right?

Yes , this is what I meant.yes I will do this painted picture tomorrow morning , it is getting late here.

Post edited by mmoir on

This would be cool, 

I was going to have her smash into the camera and have it fall to the ground - sputtering for a few seconds, then coming back to focus on the cauldron scene sideways, through the bushes! LOL

mmoir said:

Yes , this is what I meant.yes I will do this painted picture tomorrow morning , it is getting late here.

Late here too. Too excited to sleep just now! ;)

mmoir said:

This would be cool, 

Well, I got the idea from your storyboard.

Let's just do it like you've planned - get it done and up for all to see ;)

mmoir said:

Stezza, I got it to work . Just took a little bit of time.

Stezza said:
    mmoir said:

Could someone upload the Broom model , the zip file stezza uploaded isn't working for met.sad

sorry mmoir I just renamed the file to zip, as car files can't be attached to the post but zip files can so I kind of fooled it.

just download and rename 'Witches Broom.zip' to 'Witches Broom.car'   yes

Yes. I said that in response to your troubles here

Just a few things I'd like to add from my own personal philosophy:

I'm glad I had to open the file and add my moon to it, otherwise it might have taken a week to render! LOL   The reason? The animation rendering begins at 21:00, yet the particles were set to calculate the placement of up to a max of over 16,000 particles from 00:00 - meaning that it ran its simulation through 00:00 to 21:00 before it could render frame 1, and so on. Simple fix, I just set it to start at 20:00, one second run time before the render starts should be fine ;)

This one is just a personal thought, take it or leave it:

I recommend to Never set a specific file name and location to render to within a saved file - especially one that we wish to share with others. reason being is that, once it's set, and the file is saved, there is no way (short of perhaps opening the file in a text editor and figuring out where to clear it) to clear that path unless we overwrite it - that last part being the savior. At least we can set a new location/name and then save the file again.

The solution? Leave it at "Default" until it is sved, then render in the Batch Queue and set the name and location in there.

Again... just a personal thought. It truly doesn't bother me, because I recognize what's going on immediately, but I don't always remember to go back and find all of the crazt test renders that got saved to who knows where and delete them! LOL

But anyways... Wow! I am really looking forward to seeing this thing done!

You guys haven't even seen my Moon yet! :)

The ending face looks awesome! You've painted on her face already! Really neat! So I take it you've already got a render of the last frame, or do you want me to post one when I'm done?

There's a lot to do tomorrow - that's for sure! As the frames tick by on this final panel, I'm in awe of how cool it looks! I've changed it to 30 fps (from 24) so the total frame count is 444, so I have another 12 hours before it's done (jonstark hasn't bought me a Z600 yet! LOL) 

Thanks to this club I've got some really fun elements to play with, and I've already scouted out most everything else - so it shouldn't take too long to compile the final cut full of sound and such.

wgdjohn wanted me to show everybody what changes I've made to the moon - so that's coming as well. Although I think he may have been kidding, it turned out to be a pretty cool technique that I'd really like to share with everybody for your own scenes and, perhaps future endeavors like this.

Wind blowing the trees and blasting their leaves off their branches and from the ground, bats flying around, a Witch on the Warpath, kitties on the prowl, Jack-o-lanterns glowing, a bubbling cauldron, a dangling skeleton, volumetric clouds rotating in turmoil (you'll see those when I'm done - they're on scenes 1, 3, and 5), a killer full moon in Halloween Bloody Orange, Birds flying in fear, glowing eyes in the dark, flapping movements of cloth, signs of warning (I love the one that simply says: Be Careful!!!) and more... 

The storyboard really helped to set the pulse of the whole thing, and then with that in mind, as I see lighting changes and movements in each scene, I have plenty of inspiration for sounds and possible visual effects... this is really fun!

Thanks to all for sharing this wonderful journey!

Still rendering - and I still haven't slept. I think I might pass out soon for an hour or six! LOL

Looking fantastic! Mike Man... I've been a fan of your scenes as long as I've known Carrara. Those products of yours are dynamite and working in here using your animated scenes... well... it really is an honor for me - I'm truly blessed! Okay enough mushy mushy.

I really do love how you create your scenes though. Very nicely laid out and organized in the instances tray - everything makes sense even when there's a lot going on.

This swaying grass is SO COOL!!! Glowing eyes in the dark forest... great touch!!!

edited November 2016

But even when I was brand new in Carrara and I bought Carrara's Mystic Gorge - I was using a puny laptop that actually rendered well, but I was in the habit of tearing stuff apart and adding my own skydomes and such - I really was a frantic noob.

When I started checking out the instances tray I was just amazed... it's like a treasure trove for a Carrara user. The scene itself is an adventure with all sorts of places where fantasy action/adventure can take place - I wasn't really expecting that - most products aren't nearly as VAST. 

Islands in the distance - Dragons, Manticore, Chimera, Wyvern... they could come flying over and battle the Wizard who's visiting the Monks in  search of an ancient tome! Meanwhile the plotting Demons are hiding behind the vail of the waterfall, keeping just out of site of the martial arts training session taking place in the lower floor of the ancient monestary. 

This thing is HUGE!!! Little M4 and V4 would be little specks on those stairs - notice the height (7-8' tall, I think) of the doors on the bottom of the steeples!

So that's what the actors get to do.

The Director - the Carrara user has a whole adventure to explore in the making-of... the instances tray. The way the spindles are replicated (or duplicated) elements textured with custom mapped shaders. So I go into the Textures folder to see... amazed again!

Everything nicely named and organized without leaving any questions other that an urge to open up and explore!!!

When I found the fire for the torches... oh man! I learned so much from that one product!!!

Didn't I say enough mushy mushy? I'm not being mushy, am I?

I'm just trying to say that it feels so cool to be doing this cooperation stuff with an artist whom has been my hero from the beginning.

So cool - not mushy... Cool!

You Rock Mike!

This whole crew Rocks!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Dart, 

What ,  you haven't slept yet. Craziness.  wink   Thanks for your comments on my products but I think you should get some sleep soon.smiley

Still rendering - and I still haven't slept. I think I might pass out soon for an hour or six! LOL

Looking fantastic! Mike Man... I've been a fan of your scenes as long as I've known Carrara. Those products of yours are dynamite and working in here using your animated scenes... well... it really is an honor for me - I'm truly blessed! Okay enough mushy mushy.

I really do love how you create your scenes though. Very nicely laid out and organized in the instances tray - everything makes sense even when there's a lot going on.

This swaying grass is SO COOL!!! Glowing eyes in the dark forest... great touch!!!

edited November 2016

Okay Dart, here is the witch image of the final frame for you to use in a zip file..

zip
    zip
    Scene 8 LastImage.zip
    Post edited by mmoir on
    mmoir said:

Dart, 

What ,  you haven't slept yet. Craziness.  wink   Thanks for your comments on my products but I think you should get some sleep soon.smiley

You got it!

Putting on some good sleep videos as we speak! Goodnight.

Got the image - Fantastic!!! Wow - that's perfect!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    3DAGE said:

John. :)   Mike has posted several scene files in the last few pages
    I have 1, 4 and 6

Andy,  below is a list of the files I have since finding a few I'd overlooked.  I've now triple downloaded all files 3 times... seems I missed a few.

AnimClubSPookyNiteScene1.car  *  AnimClubSPookyNiteScene2Final1.car  *   AnimClubSPookyNiteScene4Finala.car  *  AnimClubSPookyNiteScene6Final.car

Please let me know which one to use... Thanks.

3DAGE said:

My view of this group is, it's about trying new things,.and trying stuff you're not too familiar with, so, do as much or as little as you want,. as long as you give it a go, and try to do something that pushes your animating skills.

Oh... I agree wholeheartedly... I'd been planning on getting my feet wet a bit at a time... seems not that I'm nearly up to my waist... aw heck I should just take the plunge. :)  Thanks for your help... it's *very* enccouraging.

Not quite asleep yet, so I think I can handle this one ;)

wgdjohn said:
    3DAGE said:

John. :)   Mike has posted several scene files in the last few pages
    I have 1, 4 and 6

Andy,  below is a list of the files I have since finding a few I'd overlooked.  I've now triple downloaded all files 3 times... seems I missed a few.

AnimClubSPookyNiteScene1.car  *  AnimClubSPookyNiteScene2Final1.car  *   AnimClubSPookyNiteScene4Finala.car  *  AnimClubSPookyNiteScene6Final.car

Please let me know which one to use... Thanks.

Any of them, my friend!

Perhaps all of them!

Here's the thing:

AnimClubSPookyNiteScene1.car  is what I would consider a "Base" scene - a full pallet, conviently loaded by a team leader - Mike.

So with this one, we club members can have a look at the "Stage" where our "Filming" will be shot, if we think of it in terms of making a movie - which really IS what we're doing.

It doesn't have the Witch in there. So if you want her in, I suggest bringing in the one that 3DAGE made - the one with NLA in the file name. The reason being is that he's sorted out the rigging, posed it to a 'sitting on broom' position, and even added a short animation of some natural movements. 

But we don't have to bring her in - especially just to practice. Here are a few ideas of what to do with this base scene:

- Practice animating Camera 1 through the woods, as far as you like. A good practice run would be to take it all the way in to the cauldron - eventually. But also just try using the storyboard as a guide - even if you wish to make your own changes to what it says to do.

When we're just practicing, we can get creative and just have fun - an example being to run the camera all the way in to the cauldron area in very little time - pretending your on a Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Speeder bike zooming through the woods. It might make for a wonderful scene of the witch's eye-view of charging her way into the site!

- Practice tweaking the scene. Hint: If we double-click any one of the "Tree - Right" elements and select "Edit the Master" instead of "Create New", we can go to the "Tree Shape" tab and add some values to the wind speed and/or rustle and/or/ rustle frequency to apply motion to EVERY TREE - RIGHT element in the scene! Sweet, eh?

The same applies for Tree-Left. So to make almost every tree in the scene move from wind, adjusting that wind setting for just those two trees will do it!

We can also just zoom right in to the cauldron area - not as an animation, but on the first frame - as a still image.

Check out the work done to the cauldron. Shoot some renders. Now leave the camera right where it is and render an animation for, say, three seconds or so. Notice how the green potion in the cauldron bubbles and emits a gree fume. Notice how the fire is flaming realistically inder the cauldron. Watch the green fume rise and dissipate. What else do you notice.

Now with that short animation open, have a look in the assemble room and open stuff up while watching in the sequencer for key frames. Why is the liquid bubbling? How is the fog rising? How can you imagine using this automatic animation to create a cool animation using any or all of the elements avialable in this thread!

Try out Mike's awesome Bat model, 3DAGE's rigged versions of the two cats. Perhaps the Witch too!

=====================================================

After that (or even before) Check out one of the other two scenes.

Open one up and just render it out with the settings that are already there (Hint: you might want to change where the video ends up being saved to)

Trust me - you'll amaze at what just rendered out. Now go back into the scene and examine it closely. This is an excellent way to observe, first hand, how a pro scene creator can build a solid animated setting. In those scenes, there's a lot to explore, so take your time. Try not to do it all in one sitting. Browse the instances tray and find a section of interest and open up all of the hierarchies and check out the sequencer.

Note that some things might have only one other keyfrme than the first frame. Many things in Carrara can be animated simply by filling out a little form withi the interface, telling it which place in time reaches 100%, if it ever even reaches 100%. Sometimes I'll set fog to get to 25 or 33% by the end. Fire is like that - so is Fog. Very powerful tools for creating special effects directly within the initial render makes the final edit SO much easier! :)

Okay... me sleep - You play! :)

Have fun wgdjohn! You ROCK!!!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

What Dart says. :)

edited November 2016

Andy,  Dart,    First I must point out my fondness of point at targets. Here is what I've sorta thought out after reading the Jedi speeder and Witches point of view. I've been thinking that I could create my , PAT, where I want the camera to look as it speeds through the forest... note that I will be having the witch move with the target just a bit in back of, don't want to have the camera to dive through a tree in it's journey. Once this is done I'm thinking of having either/both witch's eye/camera to glance quickly off to one side or the other and back... then, with that done... add another camera possibly 2 one to each side pointing straight at woods as they flash by to accent the feeling of speed. Each side camera would have a taget which follows along with the movement of them... and of course I could just switch key off and either side on and back to key cam.  Hmm... I'm thinking of having both side cams and targets parented to witch to follow along... at any time I could use the side targets to create the witch eyes looking a bit left or right just by moving either side target in front of the motion of witch.   Better quit before I confuse you... I know what is wanted but not exactly how to get it written out.

But of course I'd better start off a bit at a time... Iike Andys Idea of flying from stage left to right and weaving. This would be good for me to start on and then dive into the woods. :)

First thing to do is to save the AnimClubSPookyNiteScene1.car as a different file like <fname>1m1.car so as to have the other to fall back on in case I need to start over.

Please let me know if any of my ideas are simply not doable or way off base in any way.

Ahh... let the The Funnnn Begin!

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited November 2016

I really hope I didn't forget anything or anyone! Let me know immediately if I did and I'll fix it right away!

Fixed!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I didn't add any visual effects or anything like that. I did do some little cuts and inserts to get the flow to feel right to me, but everything seemed to just work nicely.

the one brighter clip was done with vfx tools, using vfx techniques - so I guess I did do a tiny bit of vfx! LOL

Let me know what you all think ;)

Oh... and I did try to add some credits in the intro, and it just didn't seem right - so I just saved it all for the ending.

Also - this is the first you'll have seen my moon and roiling volumetric clouds! ;) Tee hee hee

Looks great!  Thanks for showing my girlfrieeeend at the end... looks just like her. :)  BTW: Your VFX blended well with the anim... I did'nt even notice them.. kewl.

Great fun working with everyone... thanks for including me.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

Looks good... but I got left off the credits.... sob sob... crying

Just now noticed... Did not see DesertDude mentioned. Was the cat he did not used? I did see what I thought were 2 cats... one on the log walking... the other later hissing as witch went by.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Well done to all,. :)

Hope you fnally got sone sleep dude.

I used both cats in my scenes so both were used. 

wgdjohn said:

Just now noticed... Did not see DesertDude mentioned. Was the cat he did not used? I did see what I thought were 2 cats... one on the log walking... the other later hissing as witch went by.

Awesome job on finishing this off Dart. I like how you put it all together, the close up  shot of the sign , the witch posing in front of the moon.  Nice.. The music and sound effects are great.   Good job.yes

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

That was awesome!  Bravo!! You all put a huge effort into making it happen and it looks great.