Animation Club for Carrara , Week #2 - Spooky Hollow. Ready To watch..

13468911

Comments

  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

    here's a quick titles comp

    Titles : spooky night : 4 seconds : (1280 720 : H264 .mp4 and quicktime .mov)

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/titles_test.zip

  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited October 2016
    mmoir said:

     It is a little robotic but the timing of the feet look great and the tail is nice too. I am sue you learned lots doing this ,nice work.  For scene 6 what I have is fine I think .

    Thanks mmoir! Yes, I think what you did looks great! Yeah, robotic to say the least...

     

    3DAGE said:

    They added "fast mip map" as the default for Texture map setting,.  

    it looks like some of the tree's may have texture maps which aren't loading correctly in 8.1

    have a look in the shader room ,. see if it's using a texture and try changing the setting to "sampling"

    Spot on, that was it 3DAGE!! Thanks!

     

    3DAGE said:

    Nice work on the Cat walk cycle animation, .. try using bezier tweeners,  it may help, but it's a matter of adjusting keyfames until it looks right.

    the bad news is that I've changed your rig,. sorry :)

    but,. they say,.. the more you do it, the easier it gets.

    they also say,... you'll go blind if you do it too much.

    I'm not sure which to believe,. but it's getting blurry and dark

     

    Thanks, and I'm glad you changed it. (would like to see what you did  laugh).  Thanks everyone for your patience while I fumbled around. smiley

    Edited to say - woops, missed your post above where you linked to the changed rig. Downloading now.

    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

     3dage, this is very awesome.  Perfect.yesyes

    3DAGE said:

    here's a quick titles comp

    Titles : spooky night : 4 seconds : (1280 720 : H264 .mp4 and quicktime .mov)

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/titles_test.zip

     

  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

    One more update,.

    I just made a quick 1 second walk cycle for the cat, and realised that the hip constraint was set to Ball joint,. change that to Full.

    Here's the Updated cat rigged scene with the test NLA walk cycle looped for four seconds

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Cat_G6_walkNLA.car

    You can load the Key-frames back into the timeline from the NLA clip if you want to edit or create somethign new,. i've also added a few pose dots in puppeteer (T-pose in top left) walk cycle main keys in five pose dots.

    Note: this is a rough ,. probably wrong for a cat,. ,. I'll need to check some reference stuff to get the correct bone bending.

    but it's a starting point.

     

     

  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2016

    I think the story needs a bit more plot,. what if the witch is missing an ingredient, and needs to find / get a bat, or cat,.. for the magic mix,. (or something else for the potion),.

    or just to make a holiday treats for the children of the village,. she's really nice, but nobody get's close enough to find out.

    I think it would also be more intriguing if we only saw a flash of black flapping cloak and the sound of the wind of a fast moving ,..something, passing the camera a few times as the viewer walks to investigate the strange lights in the dark woods.

    Maybe even a signpost,. old and broken ..  "Spooky Woods"  with an arrow.

    maybe it's too late to add or change.

    just rambling.

    edited to ramble some more.

     

    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

    Andy,  Sounds cool... perhaps the scene would start near the entrance to the woods with that signpost at end of field. Perhaps next year. :)

  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2016

    Quick motion test of the animated cat walking forward (mp4 3.7mb)

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Cat_WalkFM.mp4

    Here's the scene file..

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Cat_G6_FM_NLA.car

    Loop the NLA clip and stretch it out in the timeline as long as you need the cat keep walking forward.

    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    3DAGE said:

    Quick motion test of the animated cat walking forward (mp4 3.7mb)

    That's...incredible 3DAGE!  A lot to digest, thanks.

    little_kitty_10_28_16_now.jpg
    695 x 731 - 40K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2016

    Desert dude :)

    I just read your previous post about rigging and the model,. but i have to disagree with you,. 

    Your cat model is fine, and the rigging was almost there,. :)

    It can be a really confusing process the first few times you start addding bones,. or making morphs, , so well done.

    but,.. the more you do it...yada yada.

     

    Constraints are the "type" of joint,. such as a "Ball joint" like the shoulder,. or an Axis joint,. like a knee, or a door hinge,

    You can aslo use constraints on objects which are arranged in a heirarchy,. like bones,. but not bones,. that's confusing.

    or physics objects....

    Constraints are useful in many places for many things,.

    You can set "Limits" for each axis of a constraint,. to limit the range of motion on X,Y,Z,. such as the ball joint in a shoulder only rotates so far,

    or a door only rotates so many degrees,.

    Once you've added constraints to bones and limited the range of motion,. then, things like helpers, rigs, and IK can all make animating a bit easier, if you like working that way.

    I prefer animating using the posing tools to rotate and move stuff,. rather than ik rigs, but for some things,. like tails, or tentacles, using Ik chains can make animating much easier.

    As Dart said,. Use linear keyframes to get the basic animation,. then you can try adjusting the timing of keyframes, or different tweeners,.

    it also helps to work on a small animation, such as a single step,. get that right,. then copy paste the keyframes to create a longer sequence.

    play around with bones, constraints and limits,. Bullet physics can use constraints.

     

    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

     3dage,   We could do something like this pretty easy in the earlier forest scenes(panel 2&4) which nobody has started.  I thought of adding dilapitated cross grave markers in several spots on the ground to add to the drama of the scene. I like the ideas you mentioned and will add some of them .  If people want to model  a sign post like 3dage mentioned or something else  you think would fit by all means go for it.  I was going to start on Panel 2 next.

    3DAGE said:
     

    I think it would also be more intriguing if we only saw a flash of black flapping cloak and the sound of the wind of a fast moving ,..something, passing the camera a few times as the viewer walks to investigate the strange lights in the dark woods.

    Maybe even a signpost,. old and broken ..  "Spooky Woods"  with an arrow.

    maybe it's too late to add or change.

    just rambling.

    edited to ramble some more.

     

     

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    mmoir said:

    Hey Dart,   The changes you suggest to make do make sense but I think we have to speed up the creation of the scenes. I will see how quick this renders out at the larger size but I think I will move on to the next panel, not sure which yet.   I will upload the scene 6 carrara file shortly. 

    I agree entirely... that's what I was trying to say! ;)

    Having difficulty getting your Panel 6 file from link - something about permissions the first time... now just hangs.

    I'll get rendering on Scenes today

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited October 2016
    3DAGE said:

    I think the story needs a bit more plot,. what if the witch is missing an ingredient, and needs to find / get a bat, or cat,.. for the magic mix,. (or something else for the potion),.

    or just to make a holiday treats for the children of the village,. she's really nice, but nobody get's close enough to find out.

    I think it would also be more intriguing if we only saw a flash of black flapping cloak and the sound of the wind of a fast moving ,..something, passing the camera a few times as the viewer walks to investigate the strange lights in the dark woods.

    Maybe even a signpost,. old and broken ..  "Spooky Woods"  with an arrow.

    maybe it's too late to add or change.

    just rambling.

    edited to ramble some more.

     

    Maybe... I'm not really following the snippets yet... perhaps a little more depth? I can add things fairly quickly. But I didn't think there was any plot from the start. Just an animation exercise.

    Edited to add: It would be nice to have some plot.

    What's the sign one doing?

    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    mmoir said:

     3dage, this is very awesome.  Perfect.yesyes

    3DAGE said:

    here's a quick titles comp

    Titles : spooky night : 4 seconds : (1280 720 : H264 .mp4 and quicktime .mov)

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/titles_test.zip

     

    Absolutely +1 from me on that!!! Perfect!!! yesyes

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    Hey Dart, 

    Try this link to download the scene 6 carrara file. Let me know if it works for you ,  it should be about 31 mb

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aBvxIlPU5GSUtaZl9MUG02a1k/view?usp=sharing

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

     Yes, this was a very simple animation at the beginning . smiley   It has grown which is a good thing, we are making good progress and lots of activity so everything is good.yes

    3DAGE said:
     

    Maybe... I'm not really following the snippets yet... perhaps a little more depth? I can add things fairly quickly. But I didn't think there was any plot from the start. Just an animation exercise.

    Edited to add: It would be nice to have some plot.

    What's the sign one doing?

     

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    Okay, here is the opening shot of Panel 2 of the storyboard.  I will add some things like the Sign Post and have the cross grave markers revealed as you enter the scene to add some drama.   

    Scene2Prelim.jpg
    1341 x 739 - 131K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

    Andy and DesertDude... Kewl kitty. Bet Wendy would like to see it.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    mmoir said:

    Okay , here is the carrara file for the Scene 6 panel .  Hopefully the forums here allow a fairly large zip file (30mb),  no go . I guess I will upload a link  shortly.

    Here is the Scene6 carrara file.  I may condense the animation a bit like 3dage suggested which would make the camera movement a little faster, right now it runs from 0-20seconds.

     

    I just did a test render using "blur" on the leaves and it was 44seconds a frame with the leaves blowing around. This time is not bad but still works out to 7.33 hours to render out the animation at 1280x720 at 30fps.  The beginning frames should render quicker. 

    I'll try again later, but I just can't seem to get this link to do anything :(

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784

    I grabbed the file will look later

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    mmoir said:

    Hey Dart, 

    Try this link to download the scene 6 carrara file. Let me know if it works for you ,  it should be about 31 mb

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aBvxIlPU5GSUtaZl9MUG02a1k/view?usp=sharing

    Same thing... it just sits there trying to load. I'll restart my browser and come back.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

    Yup, that did the trick! ;)

    Got it! Thanks Mike!

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    mmoir said:

    Okay, here is the opening shot of Panel 2 of the storyboard.  I will add some things like the Sign Post and have the cross grave markers revealed as you enter the scene to add some drama.   

    Perfect! Beatiful scene!

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    ToeJam said:

    I grabbed the file will look later

    Nice Kitty! :)

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

    Yeah, I truly didn't mean for it to sound like a bad idea... I want us to add some of these ideas if we can... I was asking for a little elaboration - my mind isn't capturing enough to go on just yet! ;)

    mmoir said:

     Yes, this was a very simple animation at the beginning . smiley   It has grown which is a good thing, we are making good progress and lots of activity so everything is good.yes

    3DAGE said:
     

    Maybe... I'm not really following the snippets yet... perhaps a little more depth? I can add things fairly quickly. But I didn't think there was any plot from the start. Just an animation exercise.

    Edited to add: It would be nice to have some plot.

    What's the sign one doing?

     

     

  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

    Mike - Dart, The signpost could be placed at right, "stage left", in panel 6 cocked a bit to point sorta into woods. I wouldn't doubt that Andy has it done or could wip one up rather quickly. Perhaps even plunk in his cook pumpkin sitting on leaves at same side or frame a bit further into woods.

    Excuse my goofy ideas... can't help myself. :) ...too easy to make suggestions as I see the incredible work you folks are doing.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    mmoir said:

    Okay, here is the opening shot of Panel 2 of the storyboard.  I will add some things like the Sign Post and have the cross grave markers revealed as you enter the scene to add some drama.   

    So I'll be rendering all of the scenes then?

    My reason for asking is because of the moon. We need to get it consistent across all scenes, I think. So if I'm rendering all of the scenes, I can just save out my version and replace it in the other scenes as they come. 

    I needed to make some changes to it, since my first scenes focus on it, so I've edited the shader, added some more lights - a nice Halloween Full Moon look - Orangey with red bleeding into it.

    Or am I over-thinking?

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

    Just checking in.  Great work everyone.  Special tribute to 3DAge for cleaning up my model.    Always learning from you. yes

    I will have time on Sunday if there is more to contribute.  Do all of the animation scenes have a coordinator?  Is there anything else that needs to be modeled?  I don't know how to do sound, sorry.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

    It's cool too - what he's done with your Witch. Very cool! MDO's hat and Stezza's Broomstick as well as your cape work really well with her too! :)

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

    Well, I'm currently rendering panels 1 and 6. I might have screwed up, though. I was thinking that panel 1 was the close-up of the moon, but now I see that panel 3 gets even closer - should be fine... we'll see.

    I'm not quite sure... it says that the witch is really small - yet we notice her. So I had her fly across the screen over the moon - that's where I may have screwed up. Any thoughts?

    Panel 6 looks really cool as a scene! I just had to take a digital walk through it ;)

    The files that 3dage made for the Witch are freaking awesome! Thanks buddy!

  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

    HI dart :)

    I'm not really following the snippets yet... perhaps a little more depth?

    Sorry man,. i was just thinking out loud,. ... a brain fart

    it just seemed to me, that the scene consisted of the witch in the distance, on a broom, flying around for no reason, getting closer and flying away,.

    i just thought there should be some goal to it,.  some purpose, or some end result ,.

    the guy get's the girl in the end, ...kind of thing.

    only in this case,.  the witch get's the ingredient she needs for the magic potion, or something.

    So I'll be rendering all of the scenes then?

    As fas as rendering stuff , or animating, i'm up for helping out, if needed, but i'd rather let other people have a go a doing stuff, and get more people trying things they've not tried before.

     

     some stuff could be kind of pre-rendered,. ,..

    If you render the moon as an alpha image,. apply that texture to a plane,. light that plane and group it with the lights, then that group "object" can go in any scene and should have a consistent look across all scenes.

    rendering out some stuff and compositing can save time and effort,. stuff like motion blur in carrara takes ages, but, in compositing you can add motion blur in almost real time.

    volume effects, ..as you know,  can come with a hit on rendering time,. rendering out a depth pass can help you composite all of those.

     

    also,. on frame rate,.I'm working at 24fps, but i can convert that to 30 in after effects.

    24 takes less time,. and it's the same length :) but if you prefer 30 I can do that, no problem.

    Again ,.. Just sayin'

     

    I just finished rigging Fifth Element's Cat model.

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Cat_5fth_rigged.car

     

    kitty2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 34K
    kitty3.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 33K
Sign In or Register to comment.