Animation Club for Carrara , Week #2 - Spooky Hollow. Ready To watch..

15791011

Comments

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    wgdjohn,  Regarding the signpost , this is how I see it too. Maybe even having a crow sitting on it and then it flys away.  As for the modeling of it , I was just trying to give others an opportunity to model stuff if they want to. 

    wgdjohn said:

    Mike - Dart, The signpost could be placed at right, "stage left", in panel 6 cocked a bit to point sorta into woods. I wouldn't doubt that Andy has it done or could wip one up rather quickly. Perhaps even plunk in his cook pumpkin sitting on leaves at same side or frame a bit further into woods.

    Excuse my goofy ideas... can't help myself. :) ...too easy to make suggestions as I see the incredible work you folks are doing.

     

  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

    Cool Mike,  Sign post would be very easy.  I also picture it not straight up and down but tilted in the ground and even a bit ot bend, twist or both... perhaps even cock the sign a not-so-straight look. I'll play around and see how that goes. Hopefully I don't run into problems or lack of time. If anyone else wants to do one I'll not be dissapointed at all... I'll have my own sign.  That darn Andy should have thought about that a week ago. :)

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited October 2016
    3DAGE said:

    HI dart :)

    I'm not really following the snippets yet... perhaps a little more depth?

    Sorry man,. i was just thinking out loud,. ... a brain fart

    it just seemed to me, that the scene consisted of the witch in the distance, on a broom, flying around for no reason, getting closer and flying away,.

    i just thought there should be some goal to it,.  some purpose, or some end result ,.

    the guy get's the girl in the end, ...kind of thing.

    only in this case,.  the witch get's the ingredient she needs for the magic potion, or something.

    So I'll be rendering all of the scenes then?

    As fas as rendering stuff , or animating, i'm up for helping out, if needed, but i'd rather let other people have a go a doing stuff, and get more people trying things they've not tried before.

     

     some stuff could be kind of pre-rendered,. ,..

    If you render the moon as an alpha image,. apply that texture to a plane,. light that plane and group it with the lights, then that group "object" can go in any scene and should have a consistent look across all scenes.

    rendering out some stuff and compositing can save time and effort,. stuff like motion blur in carrara takes ages, but, in compositing you can add motion blur in almost real time.

    volume effects, ..as you know,  can come with a hit on rendering time,. rendering out a depth pass can help you composite all of those.

     

    also,. on frame rate,.I'm working at 24fps, but i can convert that to 30 in after effects.

    24 takes less time,. and it's the same length :) but if you prefer 30 I can do that, no problem.

    Again ,.. Just sayin'

     

    I just finished rigging Fifth Element's Cat model.

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Cat_5fth_rigged.car

     

    Yes. I agree that there's no plot. Would be fun to have something ;)

    As for rendering, I'm fine rendering. I like having the moon in the scene so we can continue to use the realistic sky settings the same and such. If we need blurring or other post effects, I'll do those in post before editing.

    Yeah... you want to set up a panel or three, that would be great! Nobody seems to be volunteering. If it's not set to 30fps, I'll change it on my end ;)

    BTW, thanks for rigging 5thElements cat, but the link is funny. I'll try again later after I restart my browser. Maybe it's the same thing that happened to me for Mike's scene link.

    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    mmoir said:

    wgdjohn,  Regarding the signpost , this is how I see it too. Maybe even having a crow sitting on it and then it flys away.  As for the modeling of it , I was just trying to give others an opportunity to model stuff if they want to. 

    wgdjohn said:

    Mike - Dart, The signpost could be placed at right, "stage left", in panel 6 cocked a bit to point sorta into woods. I wouldn't doubt that Andy has it done or could wip one up rather quickly. Perhaps even plunk in his cook pumpkin sitting on leaves at same side or frame a bit further into woods.

    Excuse my goofy ideas... can't help myself. :) ...too easy to make suggestions as I see the incredible work you folks are doing.

     

    wgdjohn said:

    Cool Mike,  Sign post would be very easy.  I also picture it not straight up and down but tilted in the ground and even a bit ot bend, twist or both... perhaps even cock the sign a not-so-straight look. I'll play around and see how that goes. Hopefully I don't run into problems or lack of time. If anyone else wants to do one I'll not be dissapointed at all... I'll have my own sign.  That darn Andy should have thought about that a week ago. :)

    Okay so that all goes into Panel 2?

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited October 2016
    3DAGE said:

    I just finished rigging Fifth Element's Cat model.

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Cat_5fth_rigged.car

     

    To me, it looks like the CAR file in text form, when I click the link

    EDIT: I tried to select the text so I could copy/paste and switch the extension to ".car", but it wouldn't let me select the text.

    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2016

    My screwy signpost. Shaders need some work yet.  Anyone can play around with the textures if they wish.

    Now that I think about it... might look better on a round post... dunno.

    zip
    zip
    Signpost.zip
    8K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

    Sorry about the link,. sometimes the name can cause issues,. 

    try this

    Firth Elements Kitty cat, rigged.

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Kitty_rigged.zip

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

    Thanks Andy! You Rock!!! (Downloaded!!!)

    Hey, I really love the Witch packages... Thanks a million!

    Having fun rendering and my plans for tomorrow have been cancelled, so I'll get Panel 3 done and move on to 5 and 7 since the scenes are so similar.

    I might even start working on some of the even numbered panels if I have time. 

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

     Thanks , I will add it to scene 2 which is almost ready to renderi.

    wgdjohn said:

    My screwy signpost. Shaders need some work yet.  Anyone can play around with the textures if they wish.

    Now that I think about it... might look better on a round post... dunno.

     

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    Here is an image of scene 2 with the sign post added, I added some text to it and bevelled the edges a bit so the light catches it.  . Fits great in the scene..

    Scene2PrelimA.jpg
    1392 x 786 - 139K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

    Agreed!

    mmoir said:

    Here is an image of scene 2 with the sign post added, I added some text to it and bevelled the edges a bit so the light catches it.  . Fits great in the scene..

     

  • 3DAGE said:

    Sorry about the link,. sometimes the name can cause issues,. 

    try this

    Firth Elements Kitty cat, rigged.

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Kitty_rigged.zip

    Thanks for doing that Andy, looks very cute smiley

  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

    Mike, You might want to change the thread name to Spooky Hollow or Halloween when you have a spare minute.

    I've a question about the texture map for the sign. I tried to add one with no luck. I did create a primitive cube in assemby room or vertex room and you instructions worked on it. Dos this not work on a muti domain object? Did you have to separate post from sign and add your tmap, I doubt that?  I was likely doing something wrong since most/all DAZ and a lot of Carrara objects have tmaps.

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    wgdjohn,

      I will change the sign name, I am thinking Hollow Hills or Thickets Hollow.   I didn't use a texture map I just used a text object and then used the Noise/turbulence in the Alpha channel to make the text look worn.

    Typically you would Unwrap the UV's of the sign, then export/save the new uv mapping of the object.. Try the following should help a bit.

    -Select the sign, double click it to go to VM room.

    -Select just what you want to UV unwrap,in our case double clicking the sign mesh.

    -click the UV Editing Mode in the top right of GUI which takes you to Carrara's UV room.

    - Select the Operations Tab and goto Projection Tab and choose the most suitable mapping option

    - you could probably choose Planar and then select the Axis you want , then hit Apply.

    -then go to Display tab and Export the UV map.  Save the file and you should be able to apply your painted Tmap to the object.

     

     

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    mmoir said:

    I didn't use a texture map I just used a text object and then used the Noise/turbulence in the Alpha channel to make the text look worn.

    That is the coolest thing Ever!!! Bravo! Looks fantastic too!

    He didn't want you to change the text on the sign -  but the name of this thread.

  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2016

    Thanks for doing that Andy, looks very cute

    My pleasure,. it's a really nice model,. tiny and cute.

     

    Mike / John :)  Nice sign and broken post. 

    One thing to check on the texture map ithe shader,. if it's not displying correctly,. ther's a little arrow rotate thingy,. next to the texture map preview,. you can use that to Rotate the texture map 90, 180 etc.. or flip it vertically or horizontally.

    my brain went in a different direction,.   quick sign texture,. maybe useful to someone someday, should be a grabbable png with alpha,. if not, i can upload a link

     

    sign.png
    689 x 161 - 97K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

    I've made a new version of Panel 1 and am working on the rest of the odd numbered scenes. Rendering goes well. It was cool last night while I was rendering Mike's Panel 6 scene... I saw these panels completing before rendering began - fast though. It was sub-surface scattering! So cool, he's got SSS going on in the Jack-o-lanterns I think! Sweet!

    Finished render in 720p looks great too!

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    Okay, I guess I misread his post .   I do like the Thickets Hollow better I think so I will use that instead.  .   

     

    He didn't want you to change the text on the sign -  but the name of this thread.

     

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    mmoir said:

    Okay, I guess I misread his post .   I do like the Thickets Hollow better I think so I will use that instead.  .   

     

    He didn't want you to change the text on the sign -  but the name of this thread.

     

    Awesome!!! I look forward to rendering it!!!

    You have a bit of a different style than I do... it's really fun to run through your scenes after I render them out! People wanting to know how to have a wonderfully active animation scene would do well by downloading and inspecting your work! Love those leaves!!! Love 'em!!!

  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

    Thanks Mike,  Very good suggestion. I bow to the master. :)  I've included the file I was working with... the background is a digital cam time exposure.. all I could see was the background... the text I added in PSP and is set to 1,1,1 to be not pure black. I prefer Spooky Hollow but you're the boss... I also like "Enter at own Risk" but it might not fit on my narrow sign and be readable. Also I neglected to put a nail above and below. The text may be too smal. I messed with all the rotations/flip/etc buttons as Andy suggests above but just didn't get it to show, 'cept on shader room preview shpere.

    Andy,  Thanks for the compliment on my first signpost. Got it done in rather short time... surprised me. Created post using a flat rectangle and a single line to use path sweep... sign is a simple cube scaled... moved a few points around on each... piece of cake.

    Spooky Forest_04.png
    1024 x 512 - 718K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2016

    sign is a simple cube scaled... moved a few points around on each

    That's probably what's giving youissues with the texture map,. 

    check the UV 's ,.... select the poly's where the text should be,. jump to the UV mode,.and see where those are,. try Planar or Box / front .

     

    Been playing around again....

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Potions_unit.zip

    Both drawers open and close with morphs

    the Labels texture and bump map are included in the zip. (because it's smaller than storing it internally in the scene file)

    all the other shaders are procedural.

    It may not get used in this project, but it could be used in another project ,. just change the labels texture map, or bin the jars, replace them with something else.

    Or,... it could be used in a "Bonus scene"  where the witch finaly returns home to feet the cat.  

    cat looking / jumping out of the drawer.

    quick movie . https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Potion jars.mp4

    Potion jars_140.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

    Wow. Thanks for this! This is a really fine product... free? We can keep this?

    I love it!!!

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    I have scene 2 done will start working scene 5.   I will upload the carrara file in a bit and change the thread name. 

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    mmoir said:

    I have scene 2 done will start working scene 5.   I will upload the carrara file in a bit and change the thread name. 

    Will we still be able to find the thread?

    I'm just kidding!!!

    I'm actually taking a break today, but I will still be able to launch your scene to render. It'll be done before I wake tomorrow! :)

    May I add?   I'm really loving this! 

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    I should have said "will start working on scene 4"wink   

    mmoir said:

    I have scene 2 done will start working scene 5.   I will upload the carrara file in a bit and change the thread name. 

     

     

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

    Dart , I just added the Name to this threads title that is all.  Also , I will render scene 2 out as well and see if this works.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    mmoir said:

    Dart , I just added the Name to this threads title that is all.  Also , I will render scene 2 out as well and see if this works.

    I was kidding :) But I've found it just fine!

    Cool! We'll have panels 1, 2, 3 and 6 done, with 4 and 5 underway! Making progress!

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

    Oh... my moon is different (only in color and lighting) but should still work together ;)

  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

    Hi Dart :)

    Yes, you can keep it,.  it's free to anyone who can download it and use it in Carrara. :)

    Maybe it can be re-cycled and used it in another project,. the same applies to everything else,.... from me, at least (can't speak for other modelers)

    I think that if we're going to have an animation club,. it needs to have some assets which can be dropped into scenes, tables, chairs, potion cupboards, jars, etc..

    it's also an encouragement to participate ,.  join in ,get free stuff,. .. or maybe not,... maybe just get free stuf for carrara, which is fine too.

    (just thinking out loud here)...

    I dont know if it's possible to set up a  club "account" on something like Share CG where we could upload  and share stuff, ..rather than having links in different project threads

    so we could have a central repository for scenes and assets.

    To clarify,   I'm saying,.  let's create a central storage area, to keep all previous scenes and models available to any carrara users,

    if that's possible, and everyone agree's.

    if not,.  i'm ok with the way things are.  

     

    I'm glad you like ,. :)

     

     

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

     Hey 3dage,   Having a central repository for Assets is a great idea.

      I know that with google docs you could have the links to all the models in one place and with different categories it could be very helpful.   Anyone can edit the main google docs page and add links to their models which are actually hosted on the site of their choice.  I set up a page like this for the "Bang" movie , it worked not bad but need a little more orginization on my part. .  The ShareCg may be an option but I don't know much about their website.

     Maybe for the next Animation club movie we can do something or have something ready.

    3DAGE said:
     

    I think that if we're going to have an animation club,. it needs to have some assets which can be dropped into scenes, tables, chairs, potion cupboards, jars, etc..

    it's also an encouragement to participate ,.  join in ,get free stuff,. .. or maybe not,... maybe just get free stuf for carrara, which is fine too.

    (just thinking out loud here)...

    I dont know if it's possible to set up a  club "account" on something like Share CG where we could upload  and share stuff, ..rather than having links in different project threads

    so we could have a central repository for scenes and assets.

    To clarify,   I'm saying,.  let's create a central storage area, to keep all previous scenes and models available to any carrara users,

    if that's possible, and everyone agree's.

    if not,.  i'm ok with the way things are.  

     

    I'm glad you like ,. :)

     

     

     

Sign In or Register to comment.