Animation Club for Carrara , Week #2 - Spooky Hollow. Ready To watch..

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,196
    mmoir said:

Hey Dart, 

I didn't know 3dage was doing panel 7,  I think the one he sent in was just for test purposes on the quality issue but I could be wrong. If no one chimes in and wants to do panel  8 I can do it. 

Anyways, once you have all the shots as far as I am concerned you can finish it off.

Perfect, will do ;)

3DAGE said:

Dart :)

Here's an updated version of the witch swoop .mov,. with the cape on, and poke-thru adjusted. (54mb)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/swoop.mov

h264 mp4 version

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/swoop.mp4 (4mb)

Sweet! Thanks!

I've made a few tweaks to panel 5 and have added 4 to the queue - should be editing the final soon.

I'm also going to run a quick shot of the beginning of Panel 2 with a bit of a brief focusing in on the sign - Panel 2.5 ;)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    3DAGE said:

John,. :)

If you've go some time,. have a go at rendering out the bare woods scene,.maybe with a moving camera,.  just a few seconds.

Do you mean from "AnimClubSPookyNiteScene1.car"?  This is the only bare woods scene I have... it does not to appear to have any motions in it... cat is stationary, trees and branches do not sway.  Guess I could just make the cat invisible.

"few seconds" = 2 or under 4?

3DAGE said:

then render out a new empty scene, with just the witch flying past the camera left to right, / right to left , or whatever,.. as if flying through the trees.      render that as Png with alpha,. then it can be composited onto the woods scene background, or anywhere else.

Of course and weaving back and forth a tiny bit.

Sounds easy enough... will have to see how long it takes me to setup, longer than the rendering time... never used moving camera... only objects and long ago an effect which looked like fireworks.

So Mike, would you like to do Panel 8? Any other takers?

Currently rendering panels 2.5, 4 and the newly edited 5

2.5 is just a quick glance of the eyes focussing on the sign - three second zoom - likely will be cut shorter

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Mike ,. i went back and re did that clip,. it pretty much fit's in with the concept of panel 7 ,. ,.so,. if it fit's in with the rest,. that's a plus.

it could also be trimmed, or binned .

i'm ok either way,.

3DAGE said:

HI Mike ,. i went back and re did that clip,. it pretty much fit's in with the concept of panel 7 ,. ,.so,. if it fit's in with the rest,. that's a plus.

i'm ok either way,.

I think I can use it. I like it. It's very bright compared to Mike's scenes, which are very, very dark. So I'm thinking I can tweak this one down and enhance the others up a bit.

I think it's due to back lighting now becoming the fore lighting - we often make the back lighting very bright for highlighting the rim of the subject. I think I can use it though.

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

This is good, so it is just panel 8 that needs to be done. Dart I am sure will figure out what to do with your panel 7 animation  in terms of trimming if needed etc. Now I just have to find the latest version of the witch and broom. smiley

3DAGE said:

i'm ok either way,.

Dart/3dage,  Do you have an image you can send me or upload here showing the witch so I can match the color of the skin/hat etc?.

Could someone upload the Broom model , the zip file stezza uploaded isn't working for met.sad

mmoir said:

Dart/3dage,  Do you have an image you can send me or upload here showing the witch so I can match the color of the skin/hat etc?.

I could... but I'd have to... okay Dart... enough of the dramatics, okay?

Since panel 8 is the Witch zooming in past the camera - and I already have that stuff working... I'll just do that one! I was thinking that it was one that goes more with the ones you were doing... but I already have the witch shaders, lighting, flying, cape flowing... I just need to continue as I did with 5 and blast her past our eyes!

I'm all over it!

mmoir said:

Dart I am sure will figure out what to do with your panel 7 animation  in terms of trimming if needed etc.

? 3DAGE did 7, which is just a little bright... I can fix it though ;)

By the way... I have to say that these scenes are rendering out nicely! I'm seeing that Panel 4 uses different leaves than those from 6 - can't wait to see them in action!

I've used the leave particles system in Panel 5, but with the particles beginning 5 seconds prior to 0:00, so we have leaves in the first frame. The camera is an entirely different angle - I think it'll be really cool.

I'm already looking forward to seeing what the next Animation Club project will be!

This is so fun!

Thanks!

John. :)

Mike has posted several scene files in the last few pages

I have 1, 4 and 6

My view of this group is, it's about trying new things,.and trying stuff you're not too familiar with, so, do as much or as little as you want,. as long as you give it a go, and try to do something that pushes your animating skills.

depending on your system,. ..load the scene and see how long it takes to render, i don't have a hugely powerful system, but it's under one minute per frame for the spookynight scene.

if i render the witch,. flying around on the broom, in an empty scene,. and render out a png sequence with alpha,. then it's only a few seconds per frame.

I could also render out the spooky night scene as an avi,. then load that into the BackDrop of the witch scene, and render out the witch and the spooky night background composited together,. and since carrara isn't calculating the tree's, grass, leaves etc from thr spooky night scene,. it's only rendering the avi video clip, plus the witch,.

it's very fast to render what looks like a complex scene.

Dart, I learned a bit more of the Particle system doing this animation , it is still a mystery in spots but I am learning it. 

Oh, and I got the Broomstick model to download so I don't need that anymore.. 

Dart/3dage , do you both have the witch sitting side saddle on the broom? In 3dage's clip she is side saddle, is this still the same in the updated version?

I'm using the same Witch that 3DAGE uploaded in his Animation NLA test. I'm even using his animation on the Witch - I just duplicated all of the keyframes and jostled them around, timed them out, to get the full ten seconds I needed.

Then I replaced the stand-in vertex object broomstick for Stezza's, added MDO's hat and diomede's cape(cloak)... Bam!!!

3DAGE said:

I have 1, 4 and 6

My view of this group is, it's about trying new things,.and trying stuff you're not too familiar with, so, do as much or as little as you want,. as long as you give it a go, and try to do something that pushes your animating skills.

depending on your system,. ..load the scene and see how long it takes to render, i don't have a hugely powerful system, but it's under one minute per frame for the spookynight scene.

if i render the witch,. flying around on the broom, in an empty scene,. and render out a png sequence with alpha,. then it's only a few seconds per frame.

I could also render out the spooky night scene as an avi,. then load that into the BackDrop of the witch scene, and render out the witch and the spooky night background composited together,. and since carrara isn't calculating the tree's, grass, leaves etc from thr spooky night scene,. it's only rendering the avi video clip, plus the witch,.

I agree. If anyone ever wants to pick up on learning animations, this club is a perfect start.

Even if someone feels a bit nervous to actually take on responsibilities - or even make a post, he or she may still download some files and play around with them.

Mike's scene files are really something cool to behold. I love how he's designed his path, laid out the trees and shrubs, scattered birds from the graveyard....

The first one has no animations - which is perfect for those whom want to create an animation - a nice blank slate. But then downloading the others gives elements that have already been animated - like leaves being emitted as particles, a camera walking through the woods, trees being blown by the wind, etc.,

It really would be nice to see some more folks get involved... we'll see what happens as this club continues ;)

3DAGE said:

I have 1, 4 and 6

It really would be nice to see some more folks get involved... we'll see what happens as this club continues ;)

But I should also add that I'm very thankful for all of the support weve had in this one!!! Thanks to ALL of you!!! This is truning out really cool!!! :)

mmoir said:

Dart, I learned a bit more of the Particle system doing this animation , it is still a mystery in spots but I am learning it. 

I never thought I'd be getting into particles. Once I did... I wondered why I ever thought that! LOL

Now my big mystery is "Why haven't I tried PyCloid and PySwarm yet?"

I'm still going to work on Panel 8 - if we both get done at the same time... I'll use yours! ;)

I did almost the same as Dart,. swapped the stick for stezza's broom, added the cape,. i made my own hat,. sorry,. i dont think i have MDO's hat. I need to look back for that and i can redo if it's a problem.

I made my witch into an animation group,. so i could use NLA's, and just looped the clip

If you do it again, add the cape this time ;)

edited November 2016

Could someone upload the Broom model , the zip file stezza uploaded isn't working for me

I had the same issue,. i used winrar to extract the file,. then renamed it broom.car,. which worked. :)

Here's the Diomede's Witch, on Stezza's Broom,. in the animation group i'm using.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Witch_AnimGroup.car

Post edited by 3DAGE on

He said to just rename the extension from "zip" to "car" - which works.

In order to do so, we must go into file/folder viewing preferences in Windows Explorer, and have it show common file extensions (I think it's actually deselecting Hide common)

I've just checked out my new Panel 5 video, and I love it! :)

A couple hours to go for Panel 4, and then the 2.5 cut-away will likely take a half hour or less.

At that time, if I haven't heard from anyone, I'll start working on Panel 8. If it's done or if I know someone's doing it, I won't.

I might try Panel 7 with the proper hat and cape, unless 3DAGE is going to do it. If I do, I'll redo the lighting to fit better with the rest of the scenes.

As much as I love the hat you've made, MDO's is purple, which shows nicely as purple in Panel 5 :(  but plus I'd really like to have the cape in it as well. Scene-matched lighting would just be a big bonus! :)

Dart, I have created the scene animation for panel 8 and now just have to add the witch to the scene.  indecision

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794
    edited November 2016
    mmoir said:

Could someone upload the Broom model , the zip file stezza uploaded isn't working for met.sad

sorry mmoir I just renamed the file to zip, as car files can't be attached to the post but zip files can so I kind of fooled it.

just download and rename 'Witches Broom.zip' to 'Witches Broom.car'   yes

Post edited by Stezza on

Here's the re-render with MDO's hat,. Diomede's cape, and the broom from Stezza

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/swoop_1.mov

and the mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/swoop_1.mp4

mmoir said:

Dart, I have created the scene animation for panel 8 and now just have to add the witch to the scene.  indecision

Do you want to just send it and I can finish it? I'd be glad to. Or would you prefer I sent you the Witch file I'm using?

3DAGE said:

Here's the re-render with MDO's hat,. Diomede's cape, and the broom from Stezza

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/swoop_1.mov

and the mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/swoop_1.mp4

Perfect! Downloaded!

Thanks!

Wow! I've just seen Panel 4 all rendered out in all of its glory. What a great sequence! The lighting in by the (still hidden) cauldron area, around the time when all hell is supposed to break loose, is perfect!

Even more, for Panel 5 I wanted to add a bit of underglow to the Witch once she gets close enough to really see - so I used a noise shader on a shape light going from greenish to firey orange/yellow, which also illuminates the branches. It matched beautifully with what ws done for Panel 4 - even though neither of us knew what the other was doing in that regard!

Bravo!

I haven't heard otherwise or got another scene file, so I'm just going to start working on Panel 8

If I get Mike's thing, I'll use his instead.

Silly me... now I see that the same cool lighting circumstances I was talking about above, for Panel 4, is also going on in Panel 2 - just that it's further away, the woods is less dense, so not quite as Dark yet! Mwaaahaaahaaaahaaaaa!!!

This is going to be cool! Too bad we've missed Halloween :(