Animation Club for Carrara , Week #2 - Spooky Hollow. Ready To watch..

Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited October 2016

Okay , here is the storyboard of the different panels or scenes to our animation.  It should give the animators a good guide for what to animate. If people who want to animate something just say what panel you want to do. I am planning on doing Panel #6.

I am uploading a carrrara scene file which should get you started if you want to animate the first 3 panels or panels that don't include the witch or broom. In the first 3 panels the witch is so small you could use anything for the witch. The carrara file doesn't include the bat model either. Here is the link to the bat model. mmoir model

You will have to get creative with this scene file as it is far from complete.,but moving things around, duplicating objects should  allow you to create  the animations without the witch. 

Also , Dart said he renders his animations at 30fps. So , is 1280 x720 at 30fps okay for peaple to render at.  Let me know . 

StoryboardSpookyNite.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 281K
    zip
    zip
    AnimClubSPookyNiteScene1.zip
    6M
    Post edited by mmoir on
  • ToeJam said:

I grabbed your cat FifthElement because its a kitty cat and I like kittehs heart

Lol, no problem, here is Carrara 8 file (with quick texturing and fur job), let me know if you rig it, hope it works:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V0tbmTYNaSdzZLX0xmbF9iU2c/view?usp=sharing

Cheers smiley

Cat.jpg
    810 x 607 - 119K

FifthElement,  

That is an awesome cat, the fur is great.  yesyes

• Thanks, it is free to use for whatever you guys need it, maybe one day i'll UV map it more proper, there is some texture distortion on the feet smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663

I had already painted, furred and rigged it rather badly between posts

cat0039.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited October 2016

https://app.box.com/s/5n1w7t2nqlftp5438v7i6x9sk6r0n6ar

trying again with your fur and texture but because I made the eyeballs a separate shading domain maybe it has scraggly fur, I may need to undo that

in case you missed it, that link is is the rigged animated car file

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099

WGDJohn... I talk funny! LOL

The wings on this bat do move via morphs. I was saying that I used the individual Prop Bat instead of the "Scatters" Swarm of bats, because those scatters bats' wings don't move.

See? I'm talking funny again.

The only change I made to the moon shader was to drop the texture map onto the color channel to remove the red fractal noise.

Well, here is what I have so far. It could use lots of improvements.  smiley

I'd like to incorporate a cat shrieking open mouth, but I'll have to go back a few iterations, which means can't finish until the end of the evening. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I love your cat! Very nice!

mmoir said:

I am planning on doing a storyboard of our animation showing the different scenes that will need to be animated. . I will also shortly upload the carrara file of the forest scene so people can start animating some of the first panels of the storyboard.  The storyboard should help out when animating the different scenes.

Sweet! I look forward to them!

I'm going to either make improvements on the morphs of these bats, or I'll just use yours - probably the latter. Why use store-bought if we have custom, right? The bat I used - the wings don't go far enough up or down to get a bat's wing flap right IMHO. But it's a great little bat model otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to trying yours though. 

ToeJam said:

I grabbed your cat FifthElement because its a kitty cat and I like kittehs heart

Me too, FifthElement. DesertDude was already modeling his before you posted yours... maybe we'll use both. I really appreciate you offering up your gorgeous model! It's really nice!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    ToeJam said:

Lol, no problem, here is Carrara 8 file (with quick texturing and fur job), let me know if you rig it, hope it works:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V0tbmTYNaSdzZLX0xmbF9iU2c/view?usp=sharing

Cheers smiley

That is really adorable FifthElement - really well modeled.

Sigh...mine went back into the shop for a spell. I gave him some teeth, a tongue, eyeballs that (should) rotate properly, and an opening and closing mouth (but don't look too closely, the teeth are kind of mashed in there right now...).

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2016

Dart :)  I hadn't notice that the witch wasn't rigged :) my bad. I just fixed the keyframes issue for Zero time.

select both the model and bones and go to "attatch skleton". (for anyone who doesn't know)

I've messed around with this model,. probably too much,... Sorry Diomede :0

I moved everything to make one dressed figure,. (minus the hat and cloak)

I managed to keep most of the original morphs,. but i had to rebuld the eyes,. as I had issues adding them to the figure.

the eyes have Look left, Look right,. Eyes up, Eyes down,. morphs.

added a couple of simple morphs to the face,. Happy, Sad.

made some animation tests of the rigging to highlight any weight mapping issues,. it's ok'-ish.

Changed the skin texture,. I made a procedural shader with some strange welts, boils,. spots, and lil freckles up close. it also adds some spots or bruising on the legs, which should fit with riding a flying broom,. and living in the forest

changed the hair shader,. just for fun.

I was thinking of completely re-rigging this model at one point,. No offence intended to diomede,. but it reminded me of the genesis rig,. I hate it. ..I prefer to keep things simple.

It's rigged enough to animate with most of the constraints added, i'm sure i've probably missed one or two.

Rendered a couple of "motion tests"

here's the saved scene,. and quick motion test video, in a zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Witch_motion_scene_test_.zip

witchrig1.jpg
    500 x 800 - 18K
    Close up1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 39K
    Close up2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 42K
    flying1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 31K
    flying2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 28K
    Witch_Test1_040.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 29K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

Oh... I was just asking... I hadn't had a chance to try it out yet. Cool... I'll check out the new download.

I got home from practice and had to check out Mike's cool bat - and is it ever Cool!

I added another morph and (there's a missing Grass texture map) added a new texture map to the shaders where it had them.

The model is beautiful and really easy to morph. I still don't have the animations quite right (using too many morphs). On my PC, the timing is as I created it, but it looks really slow right now in this GIF. Not sure if it's just an internet issue and it needs to warm up or what. We'll see ;)

Andy, that motion test looks really cool! ;)

I'll start working with the witch next.

mmoir said:

Okay , here is the storyboard of the different panels or scenes to our animation.  It should give the animators a good guide for what to animate. If people who want to animate something just say what panel you want to do. I am planning on doing Panel #6.

I am uploading a carrrara scene file which should get you started if you want to animate the first 3 panels or panels that don't include the witch or broom. In the first 3 panels the witch is so small you could use anything for the witch. The carrara file doesn't include the bat model either. Here is the link to the bat model. mmoir model

You will have to get creative with this scene file as it is far from complete.,but moving things around, duplicating objects should  allow you to create  the animations without the witch. 

Also , Dart said he renders his animations at 30fps. So , is 1280 x720 at 30fps okay for peaple to render at.  Let me know . 

Perfect, Thanks. I haven't looked at either yet... 3:28 AM here... gonna crash now LOL

I love your storyboards though, so I know I'll love it.

Yeah, I render at 1280 x 720 @ 30fps. 

I'm sure the scene is fine. 

======================================================

Folks - be sure to comment in here if you're going to animate so I know. FYI: You wouldn't need to render it, you wouldn't need to animate entire scenes - just specific elements is fine.

edited October 2016

Just an FYI, tonight I am going to start animating  Panel #6 of the storyboard so I should have a preliminary animation soon.  I was going to use the skeleton from poser but if anyone is currently modeling the skeleton let me know , I would rather use a modeled skeleton.

ToeJam, nice texturing.  

Post edited by mmoir on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

If you need someone to just Render I can do that no problem.

Liquid cooled so I just put it on and let it go until done.

Okay, mmoir, I ran into a gazillion gotchas, but managed to get the cat in the scene. I attached a zip file and he should open on the fallen tree trunk right behind FifthElement's kitty.

So, I attempted to rig the cat - he has IK on all four legs plus his tail. I've never animated a quadraped before, and barely a human, so I have no idea if it is correct or a disaster.  According to the script he walks along the fallen trunk, arches his back and turns his head towards the witch. He can arch his back with a morph if you select the "cat" in the grouped object, and if you rotate his "Neck" bone his head should turn. It could probably use a corrective morph there, but maybe it will be so dark no one will notice. frown

And well, while typing this I went AWOL with several other problems. You can no longer rotate the eyes, sorry. A mysterious disaster I couldn't resolve...

cat_in_scene.jpg
    1291 x 789 - 138K
    zip
    zip
    cat_Group6.car.zip

Okay, mmoir, I ran into a gazillion gotchas, but managed to get the cat in the scene. I attached a zip file and he should open on the fallen tree trunk right behind FifthElement's kitty.

So, I attempted to rig the cat - he has IK on all four legs plus his tail. I've never animated a quadraped before, and barely a human, so I have no idea if it is correct or a disaster.  According to the script he walks along the fallen trunk, arches his back and turns his head towards the witch. He can arch his back with a morph if you select the "cat" in the grouped object, and if you rotate his "Neck" bone his head should turn. It could probably use a corrective morph there, but maybe it will be so dark no one will notice. frown

And well, while typing this I went AWOL with several other problems. You can no longer rotate the eyes, sorry. A mysterious disaster I couldn't resolve...

Cool DesertDude! We'll see what we can get him doing! ;)

Hey DesertDude,  I will see what I can do with the cat when I am working on Panel #6 of the storyboard.  Again,  the cat looks great.

mmoir said:

Hey DesertDude,  I will see what I can do with the cat when I am working on Panel #6 of the storyboard.  Again,  the cat looks great.

With you doing #6, would it be wrong for me to start on 2 and 4? Since they kind of tie in with 6, did you want those, and have me start with 1, 3 and 5, then onto 7 if nobody else wants to do these things? Or am I jumping the gun a bit?

Next on my agenda was going to be to start palying with the witch. See how well she works with the hat and cape. I want to try some dynamics to flow in the wind.

Cool storyboard, by the way!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Nearly only 4 days to Halloweenl... just say'in. Everyone is doing some incredibly good and quick work in some areas that I know near to nothing about.

edited October 2016

No, animating yet but I did work on the cauldron area of the forest for scene 6 , it looks more finished now .  It is getting spooky now I just have to animate it by adding swaying branches, blowing grass and leaves etc.

forestScene6.jpg
    1575 x 868 - 151K
    Post edited by mmoir on
    edited October 2016

Hey Dart, 

Yes,you can start with whatever ones you feel comfortable doing. I would probably start with the easier ones first (1 &3) but that is just me.

mmoir said:

With you doing #6, would it be wrong for me to start on 2 and 4? Since they kind of tie in with 6, did you want those, and have me start with 1, 3 and 5, then onto 7 if nobody else wants to do these things? Or am I jumping the gun a bit?

Next on my agenda was going to be to start palying with the witch. See how well she works with the hat and cape. I want to try some dynamics to flow in the wind.

Post edited by mmoir on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Mike, Good job on the storyboard. I do have one question... At the bottom next to panel 7 is another panel 6 which I believe is actually panel 8... correct?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2016

Here's an update to the witch,.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Witch_Rig_.car

added constraints and limits to the hands/fingers

adjusted the skin shader,. darker warts

the scene also contains the two nla clips i made while testing.

Also,. in the Controllers (puppeteer) i've saved a few pose dots,. which may help with creating animations.

click a pose dot to apply it to the figure in the timeline.

witch1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 30K
    witch T.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 29K
    witch2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 26K
    witch3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 26K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

wgdjohn, yes you are correct. The last panel should be #8

3dage, very nice expressions. The witch is looking good.

Once I get my scene organized a bit more and the branches and grass animated I will upload the file.

edited October 2016
    mmoir said:

No, animating yet but I did work on the cauldron area of the forest for scene 6 , it looks more finished now .  It is getting spooky now I just have to animate it by adding swaying branches, blowing grass and leaves etc.

Yes, this is all looking great everyone!!

I was testing the waters with my cat rig this morning by attempting a simple walk cycle following a cat walking movie posted on YouTube. He has some serious flaws. I am correcting them right now, so maybe don't waste time yet trying to move him until I can get the corrections done. Nothing like a trial by fire...sorry.

Post edited by DesertDude on
    3DAGE said:

Here's an update to the witch,.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Witch_Rig_.car

added constraints and limits to the hands/fingers

adjusted the skin shader,. darker warts

the scene also contains the two nla clips i made while testing.

Also,. in the Controllers (puppeteer) i've saved a few pose dots,. which may help with creating animations.

click a pose dot to apply it to the figure in the timeline.

Thanks Andy!

Perfect timing! Wow... animation helpers (NLA and puppeteer) and everything! Thanks!!!

mmoir said:

Yes, this is all looking great everyone!!

I was testing the waters with my cat rig this morning by attempting a simple walk cycle following a cat walking movie posted on YouTube. He has some serious flaws. I am correcting them right now, so maybe don't waste time yet trying to move him until I can get the corrections done. Nothing like a trial by fire...sorry.

No... don't be sorry... that's how we tweak rig (and their weight mapping), is through testing them out. This is all going quickly... don't be sorry!

mmoir said:

Hey Dart, 

Yes,you can start with whatever ones you feel comfortable doing. I would probably start with the easier ones first (1 &3) but that is just me.

mmoir said:

Okay, I'm going to do both 1 and 3. Does anyone mind if I make it like a first-person, where some of the branches move as if the camera is seeing through the eyes of someone walking through the woods? I was also thinking of doing a bit of hand-held camera effect too.... (?)

I think I have all of the sounds done... but if anyone has any to add... always happy to get more! ;)

No music yet, but I can handle that too, if nobody else claims it.