Animation Club for Carrara , Week #2 - Spooky Hollow. Ready To watch..

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

I'll have to go back and read the screenplay... I'm still not exactly sure what to do yet....

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Hey diomede, 

I was using Import to get your posed witch into a carrara scene with all the other objects(Cauldron,cat,cape etc.) and this is when your witch model and skeleton got messed up.  I just opened the single witch file and everything looks okay, importing the witch into another scene looks like it is causing an issue.  Nice job again on the model.  

diomede said:

Hmmm.  I was having trouble saving my intermediate steps of the bone structure / skeleton of the witch.  In part, that is why I posted a separate posed version (but alo to adjust the weight map to the sitting posiiton) so the animators would not have to do it. Does the posed version open properly for you?

mmoir said:

Diomede - the cape works great and the morphs are awesome.  I am having issues with the skeleton but I will figure it out.(right side superimposed on the left side.). Also, it is nice to know you can attach zip files to a post .  smiley

edited October 2016

Here we go... just to keep this going, I've brought the screenplay onto this page.

wgdjohn said:

I'm thinking that it could be for Halloween if it can be finished in time. Below is an idea.

Scene: Spooky trees against a night sky with full moon. Perhaps a skeleton hanging from one. Maybe a black cat with arched back and pumpkins in foreground. And of course a Witch on a broom.

Action:  Witch starts out offscreen... flys over the spooky moon. Then swoops down in front of trees getting closer to camera all the while. Last thing seen is Witch's big ugly face [takes up most of the screen].  Oh... some limbs of a few trees might move as Witch passes by.

Sound FX: Scene is silent at beginning or perhaps some eerie music to set mood. As Witch starts getting closer to camera a swooshing or flapping sound, from wind and broom, can be heard. Perhaps we start hearing a cackling, eerie, laugh of Witch [growing louder and louder on approach].

Credits: Main title done in a blood dripping font. End credits done a more normal font. Might plug-on "The End" is same font as main title.

Hope this is doable in time... or perhaps put on shelf for next year. :)

Scene:

• Spooky trees against a night sky with full moon
    • a skeleton hanging from one
    • a black cat with arched back
    • pumpkins in foreground
    • a Witch on a broom

ACTION

• Witch starts out offscreen... flys over the spooky moon
    • swoops down in front of trees getting closer to camera all the while
    • some limbs of a few trees move as Witch passes by
    • Last thing seen is Witch's big ugly face [takes up most of the screen]

Sound FX

• Scene is silent at beginning or perhaps some eerie music to set mood.
    • As Witch starts getting closer to camera a swooshing or flapping sound, from wind and broom
    • we start hearing a cackling, eerie, laugh of Witch [growing louder and louder on approach]

Credits

Main title done in a blood dripping font.

End credits done a more normal font. Might plug-on "The End" is same font as main title.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited October 2016

Mike, you must have missed one of my last posts on that:

Yeah, the witch has been adjusted through time along the timeline - so if we bring her into another scene (like I always do) she shows up all blown out of proportion.

I tried dragging all of the keyframes down before the 1 second mark, so I could start at that one second spot, but there's still something that doesn't seem to have a keyframe... I have to start just before three seconds - no big deal ;)

So I have a spot, just before 3 seconds where I'm working on shaders and poses - then I'll make my new starting point at 3 seconds, keeping all of my changes slightly before that.

Anyways, the moon was also animated to crash into the camera - and I wasn't sure why there are two of them. For now I subdued the fractal coloring, just for initial scene setup.

I've worked a litt on the witches shaders and just turned the highlight down a bit on the dress

Moral of the story, we'll have to begin our animating process at 03:00 seconds

I'll also see if I can render out some vfx for the inside of her mouth for the final frames when she fills the camera, I think.

She's a fine model to work with though... I'm certainly happy with her! ;)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Dart.  try opening the posed witch file.  dont import and dont load from the browser.  just try opening it as a new carrara file.  see if the skeleton is OK.

edited October 2016
    diomede said:

Dart.  try opening the posed witch file.  dont import and dont load from the browser.  just try opening it as a new carrara file.  see if the skeleton is OK.

Oh... yes. That's how I've discovered the timeline thing - I opened the actual file, and it is perfect. So I looked down and, sure enough. The time scrubber is set at 02:13 with a few keyframes in there.

So I moved all of the keyframes to an area between 00:00 and 01:00 so that I could just use 01:00 as my starting point, but there's still something mess with it all the way through to frame 02:13, so I just decided to use 03:00 as my starting point, and 02:(something past :13) as my place for tweaking stuff.

See, this is how it is in my file. Left is default load, right is when the time is set back to 00:00

WitchPosedFileChangeA.jpg
    1115 x 731 - 468K

But don't worry about it. It's really simple for me to just begin animations at 03:00

I usually work in 30fps, is that okay with everyone?

I could actually do as much of the animation/postwork as the team would lke me to do.

Here are duties I'd be glad to perform:

• Animations of any/all elements (happy to share as well - if anyone wants to do some animating)
    • Rendering of final animation
    • Visual Effects after rendering
    • Editing the animation clips together into a final video length
    • Applying credits/titles to begining and end
    • Mixing in sounds/music
    • Final output to YouTube

But just because I'm volunteering for these things does mean that I'm saying "I'm doing this stuff"

I'm not used to having a Team to work with, so any of these things that anyone else wants to do, please just take control! I'm just offering to do any of these things if nobody else wants to. 

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2016

Great... looks like we will have too kewl kitty's

• might want to pose one cat with arched back on terrain against the skyline... perhaps the other next to a pumpkin

I'm glad that DesertDude is continuing on with his kat. Be great if someone added a few bones to FifthElement's kat so we can have either or both.

Mike, thanks Spooky Night 'tis. Grateful is I that you agreed to my theme and ideas. Pardon me if I get a bit enthusiastic... am really excited about this project.

MDO, You stole my hat idea I was thinking about trying. :) Nice hat and caldron

3DAGE, All is not lost if MDO's caldron is used... you can always invert yours, put a few openings/slits in it and make it into headgear battle armor. :)  I like both caldrons equally.  Really nice thigh bone and pumpkin!

Dart,  Thanks for organizing my scene/anim idea... I was thinking about it when writing it... never thought it would be accepted... kewl.

NEED To-Do Yet:  Things not mentioned by anyone.

• Spooky Trees - I'm thinking large trunks with spooking looking limbs perhaps 2 or more per tree looking sorta like creepy arm shapes with tinier branches ??
    • A terrain for the trees and foreground/background objects to sit on.
    • Witch's complete broom stick. I was going to start today on them but life swept me away ... will see what I can do tonight
    • Witch skin... I'm thinking a geen/orangish mix for the skin and addition of mole or more on face to make ugly and creepy/scarry looking... need someone who is great at shaders or 3DPainting.  Forgive me diomede if you have this covered already.
    • Who will do opening/closing title/credits?

7th day from now is Halloween!

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I can do a get down and dirty broomstick if needed lol

rename the zip to car

broomstick.jpg
    640 x 480 - 58K
    zip
    zip
    Witches Broom.zip

Hey ,

Here is an image of the forest scene so far, not using wgdjohns moon yet , this was the easiest way to light the scene. I think it looks spooooooky.......

Wow, Dart,  we will take you up on lots of those offers .

Stezza , that broom looks perfect.

forestScene.jpg
    1475 x 828 - 129K

Sorry about the skeleton keyframe thing, everyone.  Can't figure out how it happened.  I don't remember ever moving the time sequencer when putting the model together.  Is there a way to create an NLA clip for the skeleton at zero pose (where Dart says he can start) and copying that to the first frame? 

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Creepy trees and autumnal (fall) leaf shaders  (uses default leaf model)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Creepy_Trees.car

trees.jpg
    1391 x 760 - 101K
    edited October 2016

Here's a fixed at frame zero,. version of Diomede's Witch figure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Witch_fix_.car

Post edited by 3DAGE on

Diomede :)

you should now be able to attach the skeleton and then create an Animation Group of the model and bones,. then you can use NLA clips.

You could Copy / paste the outfit into the figure model,. then it's all rigged together.

the eyes could also be part of the figure, and either use bones for rotation,. or a couple of morphs for left right up down

just thoughts.

Cool, everyone! Sweet!

Stezza, that looks perfect!

Mike - love the scene! I've been playing around with a really simple scene using WGDJohn's Moon and some of my own dead trees - just for testing the bats. Rendering a test now.

3DAGE, Awesome! Can't wait to try those trees! Is that Witch Fix file rigged and everything?

Thanks all... My Singer and I have recently joined a second (third for him) band, and we have practice tonight, so I will be offline for some time. I'm trying hard to get my initial Bats Flight test uploaded for you all to see. Note - It doesn't have Mike's cool bat in it yet - but it will. This was just testing Traveler's Bat Swarms bat.

I'm just using the single bat prop, since the Swarm figure doesn't have wing flap options (Just dials for various scatterings - which is really cool for stills!), while the prop bat does.

mmoir said:

Wow, Dart,  we will take you up on lots of those offers .

Well, I know that whom ever did it before did a wonderful job - wasn't that you, Mike?

Anyways, I really enjoy any and all of those tasks - and there may be others whom might enjoy any or all of them as well - so I thought I'd throw it out there now so we can figure out who wishes to do what.

Do we have someone who likes finding or making sounds and/or music?

I have some wonderful sound collections as well as my own music as well as music from others that we can use.

edited October 2016

Here's a fun test of a Bat Swarm

it's only a 2 second long animation, so I ran it three times ;)

WGDJohn, I just couldn't get that shader looking right, so I just got rid of the fractal enhancements and went with the straight texture map and used lighting to color the moon. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong... I hope you don't mind. I also don't know why there's a second moon cast way off out of the scene, with a similar shader, only blue? So I got rid of that. 

Bats look great, Dart.  But bats are not scary at all.  Used to love to take my beach chair to the Town Lake bridge and watch the bats.  Fun for children of all ages.

I like them too. I had to help a few out - they were losing their home while they were alseep - so I relocated them.

As I held one in my leather gloves, it rolled over and yawned at me. So darned cute I could barely go back to work! Yes Sir, I really like our (Wisconsin's) little Brown Bats.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited October 2016

Well, here is what I have so far. It could use lots of improvements.  smiley

I'd like to incorporate a cat shrieking open mouth, but I'll have to go back a few iterations, which means can't finish until the end of the evening. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

cat_010_base.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    cat_010_arch.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    cat_arch2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

I think that looks great, and you have already put fur on it.  The eyes are particularly nice.

edited October 2016

Thanks diomede. I just changed the angle of his head...looks a little more natural. Picture added to post above.

Hey guys ,

Wonderful models and images yes,

Desert dude,  the cat looks fantastic and nice fur yes. Is it rigged?   

3dage, nice trees.   I will add them to my forest scene, they will look great. 

Dart, yes I did some of this on the previous animations and the bats look nice.  I will have a scene for you to work with shortly.

I am planning on doing a storyboard of our animation showing the different scenes that will need to be animated. . I will also shortly upload the carrara file of the forest scene so people can start animating some of the first panels of the storyboard.  The storyboard should help out when animating the different scenes.

Great stuff guys.

edited October 2016
    mmoir said:
    Desert dude,  the cat looks fantastic and nice fur yes. Is it rigged?  

Thanks mmoir! No, he's not rigged yet, those are just some morphs for a pose. I can give it my best shot at rigging this evening. Also, looking at him now I forgot his whiskers. laugh

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2016

Stezza,  Really good broomstick... I just now realized/noticed there was no light in the scene before it rendered as a silhouette... silly me. It renders very quick too. Only things I would do different is mess with texture of hair and stick... I'd bump them up so hair is more a yellow/light tan like more brooms whisk end... then the stick I'd make a lighter but very different coloring more like white oak... mostly to be seen better in a rather dark moonlight scene... but that's just me. :)

Mike,  Good scene... not what I had envisioned but that's my lack of describing it... I can now scene working better.  Perhaps witch flies down in distant opening in trees in corridor then towards camera and weaving back and forth on approach... the BAM... full close up of ugly/creepy which face at end of anim. Very good on dem trees. Can barely contain myself... awaiting your storyboard and scene file.

3DAGE,  Cool looking creepy trees... like dem too.

Dartenbeck,  Batswarn video looks good... I've watched if over and over... the wings may not move but they appear to. Re-Guarding my moon shaders... *Don't Change Anything*... :)   Kidding! Feel free to have at it as you like... IMO Yourself, 3DAGE, magemoto,PhilW, of course mmoir and others are true Shader Masters who I wanna be more like. Regarding the Moon texture map... it looked better at only the rotation I had it... at no rotation it had too much bump. The blue moon that you did away with I'd only loaded to  get settings from and neglected to remove when done... that is the moon I used in the "Fire and Water" Carrara Challenge... I likely changed, incorrectly tweaked the original shader I designed it off off. I hope that you post the changes you made... either here or in my  Shader Creating & Settings for Carrara - Q&A - Come One, Come All.

diomede,  little did the unsuspecting children know these are Vampire Bats who later swept down upon them and sucked them dry. ;)

DesertDude,  Great Kat!  One suggestion, more of a question if it is not rigged yet... why the rather straight look near base, underside of tail? Is that do to lack of polys or rigging?

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited October 2016

I grabbed your cat FifthElement because its a kitty cat and I like kittehs heart

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on