WIP Thread for June New Users Contest.

Comments

• mhomes_047ff78b8dmhomes_047ff78b8d Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Layden said:
    This will be my entry for the June contest.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~Layden

The skin looks awfully yellow IMO.

I agree, after looking at it with fresh eyes and a nights sleep.
    I changed the lighting altogether and tried the omnifreaker skin shader (something I read about in a previous post..but never actually knew about) ..

After rendering, I took the image into my Corel Paintshop pro x4 to adjust a few minor highlights.

Below is the new render.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

~Layden

Belle5.jpg
    594 x 591 - 73K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay folks this is for all users New and Old who have never seen or used it.

The Basic Three Point Light Set.

All the lights most of the time are Spotlights. The Main light called the KEYLIGHT is normalily set to the left and above the default CAMERA position. The next light the SECONDARY LIGHT is set lower and to the left of the default Camera position. The last one the BACKLIGHT is set behind the character to be rendered.

The Differences in the lights are the settings. A good starting point is to start with these settings which is done by selecting the light in the Scene Tab and then changing the Settings in the Paramaters tab.
    KEYLIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
    Light - Intensity 60%
    SECONDARY LIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
    Light - Intensity 40%
    BACKLIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
    Light - Intensity 200%

Those are just starting values. I normaly play with the color, Intensity, and set them all To Ray traced Shadows for final Renders. Fill free to move the lights to get the shadow effects you like. I will also add some Ambent light most of the time, very low setting for it. I will light the Background with its own lighting as needed as well. This is just the Basic set up. You can get great results expermenting with this simple set.

!Basiclights-02.jpg
    800 x 539 - 76K
    !Basiclights-01.jpg
    498 x 638 - 60K
    !Basiclights-00.jpg
    487 x 679 - 71K
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited June 2012

Thanks much BWswan, I had tryed said basic portlait light. you and jeder said,

I hope to express, "at night, small town, small house, she had read books ,
    her boyfriend called ,then she turn up face smail,
    so I need more soft light, now I try again,

The light from the upper left should be dimmer

which side is better for main spot light.. now I set main light is her right upper side,
    and left side is sub. now I decrease the intence of two light, and set one more point light for backlight,,

uhhh,, I am sleepy now,, I try again,,
    I do not know how many image can I show and call advices,, not bother other member?
    I hope it not go worse.

wooo,, jederlail ,thank you, much,,, I will try tomorrow evening,,

newcon.jpg
    600 x 800 - 230K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Layden said:
    BWSman said:
    Layden said:
    This will be my entry for the June contest.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~Layden

The skin looks awfully yellow IMO.

I agree, after looking at it with fresh eyes and a nights sleep.
    I changed the lighting altogether and tried the omnifreaker skin shader (something I read about in a previous post..but never actually knew about) ..

After rendering, I took the image into my Corel Paintshop pro x4 to adjust a few minor highlights.

Below is the new render.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

~Layden

your image

THe lighting and skin colour is very much better, but to me she now looks as though she is not quite real, her skin is a bit shniy, looks slightly metallic imo.

edited December 1969

I hope that helps some of you. After you have the lights setup you play with your Camera and Framing of the image.

edited December 1969

good night teachers and fellows :down: zzz

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail thank you for this pictures as an example, now I know how to set up those lights.
    I will experiment with it
    Thank you so much :-)

edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Thanks Jaderail thank you for this pictures as an example, now I know how to set up those lights.
    I will experiment with it
    Thank you so much :-)

Your so welcome and any others that play with them.
  • edited December 1969

Here is my second version of the portrait. I didn't like the way it looked when I added the background in Gimp so I added the background in DS4 and renders it and now the hair lights are easier to see in this version.

Keisha_with_Background.png
    590 x 1006 - 627K
    edited June 2012

"The skin looks awfully yellow IMO."

"THe lighting and skin colour is very much better, but to me she now looks as though she is not quite real, her skin is a bit shniy, looks slightly metallic imo."
    .......................................................................................................................................................................

Absolutely right about the skin tone. I found that it was a third party skin texture for Genesis that was the problem. Although the skin texture looked good on the website and non rendered, it seemed too shiny when rendered.

I changed the skin texture, kept the lighting the same and this is what I got..

~Layden

belle6.jpg
    594 x 591 - 78K
    Post edited by mhomes_047ff78b8d on
  • edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    dalbelo said:
    Here is my first attempt at a portrait. I look forward to some feedback on how to make it better.

Other than the strap of the dress not lying flat on the neck/collars; this looks petty good.

I appreciate the feedback. I don't know how to move the strap so I will probably just look for a different top to use in this render.

edited December 1969

I just want to express my thanks and appreciation for helping me to become better at rendering.

I've learned so much in such a short time. Although I do this mainly for enjoyment, you've all taught me so much.

I just wanted to say Thank You.

~Layden

edited December 1969

Layden said:

"THe lighting and skin colour is very much better, but to me she now looks as though she is not quite real, her skin is a bit shniy, looks slightly metallic imo."
    .......................................................................................................................................................................

Absolutely right about the skin tone. I found that it was a third party skin texture for Genesis that was the problem. Although the skin texture looked good on the website and non rendered, it seemed too shiny when rendered.

~Layden

Oh now that is a whole lot better, really well done.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Layden said:

~Layden

Excellent job. Coming along nicely.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay folks this is for all users New and Old who have never seen or used it.

The Basic Three Point Light Set.

All the lights most of the time are Spotlights. The Main light called the KEYLIGHT is normalily set to the left and above the default CAMERA position. The next light the SECONDARY LIGHT is set lower and to the left of the default Camera position. The last one the BACKLIGHT is set behind the character to be rendered.

The Differences in the lights are the settings. A good starting point is to start with these settings which is done by selecting the light in the Scene Tab and then changing the Settings in the Paramaters tab.
    KEYLIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
    Light - Intensity 60%
    SECONDARY LIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
    Light - Intensity 40%
    BACKLIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
    Light - Intensity 200%

Those are just starting values. I normaly play with the color, Intensity, and set them all To Ray traced Shadows for final Renders. Fill free to move the lights to get the shadow effects you like. I will also add some Ambent light most of the time, very low setting for it. I will light the Background with its own lighting as needed as well. This is just the Basic set up. You can get great results expermenting with this simple set.

Thank you Jaderail for posting this. It should help out a lot.

edited December 1969

dalbelo said:
    Here is my second version of the portrait. I didn't like the way it looked when I added the background in Gimp so I added the background in DS4 and renders it and now the hair lights are easier to see in this version.

Beautiful render. May want to rotate the light just a bit towards the front of the face so it highlights the cheeks and hair. It's just a very small tweak.

edited December 1969

Just trying to give Back Frank. The Forums were my learning grounds when I started.

Tips: Play with the intensity, shadows - all the settings, and postions of the lights. Just keep your Secondary light to the right or left of the camera. The position will depend on which light you pick for the Keylight. That's another tip by the way. You can swap sides with the keylight, nothing says you must have it to the left.

• edited December 1969

This is next version of my portrait. I changed the top and the make up. I think it look pretty good.

Keisha_Pink_Top_Forums.jpg
    600 x 800 - 175K
    edited December 1969

This is the newest rendition of my portrait picture.

Daz Studio Rendered and tweeked in Paintshop Pro X4

Layden

Belle7.jpg
    530 x 591 - 75K
  • berriboyberriboy Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tips Dollygirl (and sorry for not doing it sooner) but I decided to bench that project and start again, I don't know how I managed it but for some reason the light on the left side of her head was shining out through her right ear.... honestly!!

Thanks to Jaderail for his three point lighting tute, it showed me a few things I am doing wrong.

Anyway this is my new project, hope you like it and feedback is welcome.

DS4 render, tweeked the brightness in photoshop.

portrait005.jpg
    600 x 800 - 267K
  • edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    dalbelo said:

Beautiful render. May want to rotate the light just a bit towards the front of the face so it highlights the cheeks and hair. It's just a very small tweak.

Thanks for the lighting tip. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll play around with the key light tomorrow.

• kylumikylumi Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

There are so many great renders here, way better than when I started. I cannot comment on them all but, this will add to Jade's explantion of 3 point lighting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

The most important aspect of producing a sucessful render is the lighting arrangement.
    Its not just a matter of putting 3 lights in a scene and hitting the render button.
    Each light needs to be adjusted for position, intensity and colour. See this: http://www.secondpicture.com/tutorials/3d/three-point_lighting_in_3ds_max_01.html

In order to get the lighting just right you will need to bring in another camera or two, this will allow you to select a desired camera and adjust its position to where you want your light to be directed.....then simply move a light to match the position of the camera.

For added effect, [not necessarily realism] the Rim Light [AKA, Back Light] is king.
    The best renders are always those with the best lighting arrangements.

The problem I have with lighting is the fact it takes longer for me to set-up than the scene itself. But, once mastered, it is well worth the effort.

:-)

edited December 1969

I changed dresses color (I guess blue is more outstanding from back, but that is not my attempt,
    so I choiced green color, yeah actulally she is not so stylish lady )

and make back ground with plane and free texture in daz 4

Of course I thought long time to decide back texture(color), but, I feel the color is ok.(the color is my intention:red:)
    and set 3 lights adjust again. (move ,tweak parameters , )

I add acdessory on her and moved it forword (she may like the pendant, and she know blue is not so much
    her dresses and her eyes color, but, she loves it, so she wear on. maybe.)

I want to make some shadow of pendants on her skin but I can do it well.

Of course I have waited and be waiting other advices.:roll:

con7.jpg
    600 x 800 - 258K
    edited December 1969

I'm loving the work all of you are doing. The only tip I would add at this time is keep up the great work one and all. I will pop in even ever I
    can. If I see anything I think I can help with that has not been covered before I'll be sure to say something. As you can see by now I like to
    yak in the forums. I'm no pro at this rendering stuff but I owe the Forums for all I know, so I'm going to help if I can.

edited June 2012

I changed dresses color (I guess blue is more outstanding from back, but that is not my attempt,
    so I choiced green color, yeah actulally she is not so stylish lady )

and make back ground with plane and free texture in daz 4

Of course I thought long time to decide back texture(color), but, I feel the color is ok.(the color is my intention:red:)
    and set 3 lights adjust again. (move ,tweak parameters , )

I add acdessory on her and moved it forword (she may like the pendant, and she know blue is not so much
    her dresses and her eyes color, but, she loves it, so she wear on. maybe.)

I want to make some shadow of pendants on her skin but I can do it well.

Of course I have waited and be waiting other advices.:roll:

I agree I like the colour of the dress better now. I also like the fact that she is making eye contact with the Artist, and hence with the viewer. That is so important when the subject of a protrait is looking towards the viewer, you should be able to feel that they are looking at you.

Your lighting needs a wee bit of tweaking, imo, but as I don't use DS I will leave that for someone else to help you with. I feel maybe it needs just a tad of front lighting, to bring out glints in her eyes, and would also maybe give you the shadows that you want from her neckwear.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited June 2012

kylumi said:
    There are so many great renders here, way better than when I started. I cannot comment on them all but, this will add to Jade's explantion of 3 point lighting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

The most important aspect of producing a sucessful render is the lighting arrangement.
    Its not just a matter of putting 3 lights in a scene and hitting the render button.
    Each light needs to be adjusted for position, intensity and colour. See this: http://www.secondpicture.com/tutorials/3d/three-point_lighting_in_3ds_max_01.html

In order to get the lighting just right you will need to bring in another camera or two, this will allow you to select a desired camera and adjust its position to where you want your light to be directed.....then simply move a light to match the position of the camera.

For added effect, [not necessarily realism] the Rim Light [AKA, Back Light] is king.
    The best renders are always those with the best lighting arrangements.

The problem I have with lighting is the fact it takes longer for me to set-up than the scene itself. But, once mastered, it is well worth the effort.

:-)

I agree with you about the time it takes setting up lights. I easily spend most of my time arranging and testing lights, but I think it is time well spent. I don't mind the time I spend setting up lights because everything else in Daz Studio is a breeze. I drop in a scene, a model or two, add some clothes and props and I'm done. Then I dim the lights in the real world and start playing with the lights in my virtual scene.

Post edited by lorendalbert_6f378a4ce5 on
  • edited December 1969

I am new to art in general and CG art in particular. I can’t write a novel, nor can I paint or draw a picture, so using Daz Studio to learn how to create digital images provides me with an outlet for my creative expression. The way I see it, creating compelling art is a journey, not a destination, and learning new stuff is a big part of that journey. There is a lot of free material available on the Net covering the subject of lighting, but I tend to be a bit impatient, and I wanted to accelerate my learning process, so I purchased three sources that have helped me more than any other sources (so far) to better understand lighting and rendering.

Dreamlight 3D School: Spotlight Mastery $6.95 available in the Daz Store.
    This was the best $6.95 I have spent in the Daz Store so far. The presenter starts with a 3 point light set up and then adds more lights to create targeted highlights on the skin and hair. While he did the bulk of the light set up in some program called Lightwave, I was easily able to apply what I learned to Daz Studio. After watching this video I did end up purchasing the UberSpot Light Shader (this was the second best item I have purchased from the Daz Store) and I am enjoying a lot more flexibility in setting up my light.

Digital Lighting and Rendering $26.95. I bought the Kindle Edition from Amazon.
    This book not only covers lighting but rendering in a way that beginner’s (like myself) find easy to understand. It even explained a lot of the settings that can be found in the Daz Studio Surfaces Tab.

Portrait Lighting for Digital Photographers $15.97 Kindle Edition.
    While this book wasn’t written specifically for CG art, the concepts definitely apply to what we do with Daz Studio. A picture is worth a thousand words and the book has lots of pictures showing the effects of various lights. The author presents a series of pictures adding one light at a time and explaining the effect that each light has on the highlights and shadows.

If you share the same enthusiasm that I have toward 3D artwork in general and Daz Studio in particular, then I highly recommend spending the bulk of your time learning and practicing lighting. My short experience has taught me that I can spend several hundred dollars buying awesome models only to create unsatisfactory renders, or I can study lighting and rendering and create images that I look forward to sharing with others.

Dalbelo
    Daz Studio - FTW

edited December 1969

I changed my second picture. :)
    I used now the three spotlights and play around with it, second I rotated the model.

portrait_nieuw_1_verkl.jpg
    680 x 800 - 352K
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    I used now the three spotlights and play around with it, second I rotated the model.

I see much improvement here, good work.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Sasje said:

I see much improvement here, good work.
    Thank you.