Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833

I assume you mean after it was converted to .obj.

If it loads into memory, I don't see any reason why Iray wouldn't render it. It just won't render native Garibaldi hair - unless you've discovered a method no one else has. :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

How do I save the hair I made for fenris wolf to use later?  I'm sure its here somewhere but....there are 53 pages..

File->Save as->Wearable(s) Preset.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

There seems to be a lot of frustration with Garibaldi, especially when it comes to making maps. One thing I tend to do (and I use it a lot, especially for fabric distressing and fibres) is, in Garibaldi, fill the surfaces, then export the maps using the export option. This gives me a directory with maps for further editing that are the right naming convention, size and format. I then copy that directory and use it as a basis for modifying the maps for density, etc, in a paint package which is often easier to do than Garibaldi's paint system. Once done, I can just import them back into Garibaldi as a new density/length map, whatever. There's no second guessing or worrying that the format/size/names are wrong.

Another thing to note is that the exported OBJs may be huge, and as such go against the grain, but iray loves meshes and hates transparency maps. Once the mesh has been loaded and in memory, etc, after you've clicked the iray render button, polygonal hairs and fibres render much faster than transparency mapped surfaces, in my experience.

Just my opinion.

mikeb1028 said:

Ok I'm trying all this.  I saved the density map from a template (black and white) as a PNG.  When I try to import it into Garibaldi, it says it could not be matched to available mesh.

mjc1016 said:

It's very easy...simply take the templates (or a skin layer) into an image editor, add a new layer...paint the density map (I've done one for each UV set for Genesis...) and save the painted layer as your density map.

That's usually because the density map filenames don't match the surface material names of the figure you're working with. For example, if the figure's surface is called 'face' then the image map also needs to be 'face'.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thanks Gone!  Will give that a try tomorrow (long work day today so no fun stuff lol).

• Hi,

I have just started to play with this plugin and got myself stuck at the first window (setup).

I have loaded a G2F figure and am trying to select the surfaces where I want my hair to grow. I can select head and face but I also want the hair to grow on the back (sort of like a horse's mane), so I need to select torso.....

Here's the problem; the box listing all of the surfaces appears to not be big enough to allow for all the surfaces to show; I can see "tongue" (which is barely visible at the bottom of the box), but there is no scroll feature and there must be some more surfaces (such as torso) below tongue that I simply cannot get to.

What am I missing?

Did you get the 1.1 update from the Garibaldi site?

This is the version I'm using and the scroll bar is there.

• Yep,

Version 1.1 - no scroll bar {and thanks for the quick reply}.

Any suggestions?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

For those looking to use Garibaldi obj export in Iray, yes big file sizes but it works great but one thing to remember it exports the hair out as a set of flat mesh, no volume. Each hair is a flat thin mesh.

http://itiseyemeeszark.deviantart.com/art/Foraging-611119379

• More information regarding my issue (4th post above this one); on the Welcome screen, I noticed a tiny message in the top left (underneath the Welcome & About tabs); "Table 'session' is marked as crashed and should be repaired"

I am thinking that this may have something to do with my not having a scroll bar for the surfaces box.

Any further help would be appreciated as I am currently stuck (I realise, being on the other side of the planet {compared to most} and in the southern hemisphere, that I will have to wait for any potential help to wake up first.............wink).......

• Szark said:

For those looking to use Garibaldi obj export in Iray, yes big file sizes but it works great but one thing to remember it exports the hair out as a set of flat mesh, no volume. Each hair is a flat thin mesh.

http://itiseyemeeszark.deviantart.com/art/Foraging-611119379

Outstanding image, Pete!

I picked up Garibaldi a while back, but like so much content I've purchased, haven't even used it once yet. Your image has inspired/reminded me, so thanks!

- Greg

Thank you. It does take time to get used to combing the hair so it looks good but once you get a feel for it, it can be fun. 

This was my second first attempt. :) Took me a while, I think 2 more days to redo, to get it to this. 3DL render

http://itiseyemeeszark.deviantart.com/art/Xerr-s-got-a-new-coat-428585798

• A furry Xerr; looks very cool - especially for a "second first attempt"..............

considering this was my first first attempt

Szark said:

Not in my house. Exported obj hairs are definitely tubular, not flat. Default is 3 sided (in the export options).

More information regarding my issue (4th post above this one); on the Welcome screen, I noticed a tiny message in the top left (underneath the Welcome & About tabs); "Table 'session' is marked as crashed and should be repaired"

I am thinking that this may have something to do with my not having a scroll bar for the surfaces box.

Any further help would be appreciated as I am currently stuck (I realise, being on the other side of the planet {compared to most} and in the southern hemisphere, that I will have to wait for any potential help to wake up first.............wink).......

Never noticed it before - but that message also appears on my screen. :)

I suspect it is related to the render message that the shadertypes need to be declared. This message first appeared when DS was upgraded (I think from 4.5 to 4.6) and it does not affect the operation.

This may be related to screen resolution but, other than that, I have no idea why that would be happening. Since you can call it up, I would expect that it is installed properly.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Here's the end of a Garibaldi hair.

Garibaldi_hair_detail.jpg
    845 x 538 - 69K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Yep,

Version 1.1 - no scroll bar {and thanks for the quick reply}.

Any suggestions?

Personally, I would uninstall, start Dazstudio, close Dazstudio and install again ... sometimes this helps clear DS's brain.

Jimbow said:

Here's the end of a Garibaldi hair.

Oh sweet thanks Jimbow for correcting me. 

You're welcome. You can increase the radial resolution in the export dialogue, but I'm not sure that's a good idea if you're making hair for your Bon Jovi character.

For the Kiwis I used level 4 OBJ export, then used Sub-D to further smooth it out. 

• Kerya said:

Personally, I would uninstall, start Dazstudio, close Dazstudio and install again ... sometimes this helps clear DS's brain.

Tried that; no joy.

Interestingly, I installed it on my "everyday" computer and the scrollbar appeared!

BUT this made no difference as the scrollbar is for the whole rhs panel (Workspace Settings) and the "Available Surfaces" box remains just that bit too small to allow me to access the torso (which is the only missing surface).

Surly, I can't be the only one with this problem?

It appears to happen with Genesis 2; Genesis 3 has less surfaces so fits easily; I haven't tried anything else.

Anyone have a suggestion for a workaround? This has got to be a bug; to have the same issue on 2 separate PC's is a bit too much of a coincidence...............

Missing Available Surfaces.jpg
    1468 x 861 - 111K

I just tested it and yep I have a scroll bar. Do your 2 PCs have anything in common, say an Intel Graphic chip/card etc.

• No, nothing in common; one is a built up graphics PC and the other an ex-office lease PC bought of eBay.

Is your scroll bar for the whole rhs of the screen or is ther one for the box I've mentioned; I get a scroll bar on the rhs on my basic PC but not on the graphics PC - this is simply due to screen size. My problem is with the box for selecting surfaces; G2F's torso is off the list and it's a part I need access to for my project.

This is what I get with G2

GarG2.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 241K
  • Ffffff....udge!!

Yep, that's what I am missing!

I've contacted the vendor but have heard nothing back.

Looks like I may have to give LAMH a go instead.

Thanks for your help but it looks like the vendor is the only one who can help me and he doesn't appear to be interested in doing so.......

I have tried contacting him a few times to no avail. LAMH I don't have. I have wanted to give it a try for so long now I just can't justify the cost. I might in the future for the Iray conversion setup they are working on.

• I just got Garibaldi and have been tinkering with it for a few hours. I understand that the hair will not render in iray, so I saved it as an obj. The problem I'm running into is that the hair comes into the scene mostly white, and renders competely white, regardless of what colors the hair is actually supposed to be. What am I missing?

On a side note, I would love it if they found a way to make this plug-in play nice with iray (or vice versa) so we don't have to rig and re-rid the hair for different poses.

• LAMH here I come.................