DAZ fire your Ad People

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Bring back Þ (thorn)! Thorn was basically the "th-" in the or that (Þe or Þat) from early and middle English. By the 15th century it was being drawn similar to a Y, and so when moveable type started to appear, it was simply replaced with a Y (which gave rise to modern quaintisms like "Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe") Ye in this context is still pronounced "the". Thorn still exists in Icelandic.

Don't confuse it with the 2nd person nominative pronoun, ye (as in "Ye all are sons of the devil"), which is pronounced ye.

That thing is Iceland's problem now, at least until we bring back public witch trails in the United States.

also I don't like shopping at a shoppe because I don't like to use Dungeons and Dragons economics when I need a hogs head of mangonel polish 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Chohole said:
    nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Mattymanx said:

Sigh, language has become so cheapened, nobody cares anymore.  Vocabulary, grammar, spelling.  It's all just a toss-up isn't it? 

(And don't think I didn't find both misspellings of "grammatical" in the previous post. wink)

Welcome to the english language.  We can use it however we want.

ps, you should try reading 13th century english

...I learned Queen's English when I was in school. The other day on a different forum I was accused of not being an American, and the person refused to read my post.

Damn.

I was correcting someone's english in an assignment and told them that learned is American, and learnt is English. It is amazing how much cross-over there is, but also how many subtle variations there are.

The letter z for example is uncommon in the UK, mainly because we changed our spelling of many words some (no clue how many) hundreds of years ago; American English kept the spelling the same. Yet using the z is not actually wrong, mostly, it is just unusual.

The letter Z did not exist in the oldest languages spoken in the British Isles.  Celtic language split into Welsh, Cumbric, Cornish, and Breton..(The Britonnic or Brithonic languages)  Cumbric was mostly then replaced with Gaelic in the North of the Britsh isles and in Ireland, and neither form of gaelic has a Z in their alphabets either.  Z only came into the language with the various invasions such as the Romans, Angles, Saxons and later Normans.

The English language is a hybrid, which contains words from all the previous languages and has had some letters added and some removed from it's alphabet compared to the older Brithonic alphabet.

Yes, english is most certainly a hybrid; that was new to me about the Z; it was some hundreds of years prior to the events I was alluding to though.

Stryder87 said:
    Chohole said:

The letter Z did not exist in the oldest languages spoken in the British Isles.  Celtic language split into Welsh, Cumbric, Cornish, and Breton..(The Britonnic or Brithonic languages)  Cumbric was mostly then replaced with Gaelic in the North of the Britsh isles and in Ireland, and neither form of gaelic has a Z in their alphabets either.  Z only came into the language with the various invasions such as the Romans, Angles, Saxons and later Normans.

I learn some really cool things following threads that spiral off-topic, then back on, then off again, then back on...  laugh

Indeed.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,705

Biscuits and gravy. Had me totally confused.

...me too

Sad said:

And I put either mustard or HP sauce on most things

..Oreos?

edited August 2016

...I really get frustrated sometimes when I have to go to a Starbucks (because I am in serious need of coffee and that is the only nearest place to get it) and I ask for a "medium coffee" to which they rattle off those corporate manufactured pseudo-italian terms they use.

I love going in and ordering a Frappachino by saying "Could I get one of your large iced coffee shakes with chocolate and whipped creme", only to have the barista look back at me with a puzzled expression as If I was speaking in a foreign language.  Egads, who came up with that name? It sounds like something embarrassing that would occur after you ate beans and drank beer.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    kyoto kid said:

"Could I get one of your large iced coffee shakes with chocolate and whipped creme"

Oh man, I'm going to have to try this and see the reaction I get!!!  That's awesome!  laugh

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    kyoto kid said:
    Sad said:

And I put either mustard or HP sauce on most things

..Oreos?

Improves the taste. Might work for Starbucks too . . .?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,021

Clearly whoever came up with "Frappachino" never read Mad Magazine... Virtually every reference to a fart was "Frap!".

I've ruined many a Frappachino for people by pointing that out and musing over that due to the name what might be the possible frothing method for this cappuccino beverage.  I know it's coming out of a machine... But who is to say there are not gassy little gnomes inside... Maybe they feed them chocolate and that makes them gassy?

Makes ya wonder, no?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,551
    kyoto kid said:

...I really get frustrated sometimes when I have to go to a Starbucks (because I am in serious need of coffee and that is the only nearest place to get it) and I ask for a "medium coffee" to which they rattle off those corporate manufactured pseudo-italian terms they use.

I love going in and ordering a Frappachino by saying "Could I get one of your large iced coffee shakes with chocolate and whipped creme", only to have the barista look back at me with a puzzled expression as If I was speaking in a foreign language.  Egads, who came up with that name? It sounds like something embarrassing that would occur after you ate beans and drank beer.

All these coffees originated in Italy so yeah they are going to have Italian names.

edited August 2016

...being a big  Don Martin fan myself, yes, that is exactly what comes to mind.

If you were lactose intolerant, having one would be a good way to produce that sound afterwards.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,958
    kyoto kid said:

My major grief with some coffee shops is the simple fact I drink black coffee.  Don't care a <insert string of expeletives here> damn about the name, black coffee is black coffee.  I get asked if i want an Americano.  My initial response, and was for a few months, was 'no, I want a black coffee ...'. Eventually I was told, 'but that is what it is, Americano IS black coffee'.  Now when I get asked that I answer, 'yes, a black coffee, please'.  Guess how many times the next question is, 'do you want milk with that?'? crying

But back on topic - I know problems happen - to err is human and all that, but there really should be more care with presentation; it projects an unprofessional impression when basic language use is 'mangled'.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,452

Mercutio:  This cannot anger him: 'twould anger him 
    To raise a spirit in his mistress' circle 
    Of some strange nature, letting it there stand 
    Till she had laid it and conjured it down; 
    That were some spite: my invocation 
    Is fair and honest, and in his mistress' name 
    I conjure only but to raise up him.

"A plague o' both your houses!"

Hwæt?

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited August 2016

I've always been really bad at spelling because of memory problems due to a childhood head injury. According to testing I have pretty high intelligence - however the proper spelling of words often slips my mind and leads people to believe I'm not as intelligent as I am. So I try to give people the benefit of a doubt when I see grammar or spelling errors. Sadly, though, after watching the movie Idiocracy and really paying attention to the break down of verbal communication, written communication, and the overall intelligence decline of people I interact with - I have a pretty good idea of where the future is headed and it really scares me. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945

my mother was a teacher and yet I could never spell but as she said English is an evolving language like all, only a dead language like Latin never changes......and it killed the bloody Romans cheeky as the saying goes ...

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    frank0314 said:
    kyoto kid said:

All these coffees originated in Italy so yeah they are going to have Italian names.

Heh, except frappuccino is totally made up by Starbucks (and trademarked). :)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,052

About the ads: the answer is simple - hire a competent proofreader. 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,052
    frank0314 said:
    kyoto kid said:

Heh, except frappuccino is totally made up by Starbucks (and trademarked). :)

I hold the trademark for Crappuccino™.smiley

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I've always been really bad at spelling because of memory problems due to a childhood head injury. According to testing I have pretty high intelligence - however the proper spelling of words often slips my mind and leads people to believe I'm not as intelligent as I am. So I try to give people the benefit of a doubt when I see grammar or spelling errors. Sadly, though, after watching the movie Idiocracy and really paying attention to the break down of verbal communication, written communication, and the overall intelligence decline of people I interact with - I have a pretty good idea of where the future is headed and it really scares me. 

I think people should take more care when their words are representing a company and if it's an advertisement then it boggles my mind a bit that they wouldn't, but I'd never judge someone's intelligence on their spelling. My daughter's best friend is dyslexic and has probably provided hours of unintended amusement via her Facebook feed because of it, but in her day job she's an accountant. She's a very good one too.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,460
    SimonJM said:
    kyoto kid said:

My major grief with some coffee shops is the simple fact I drink black coffee.  Don't care a <insert string of expeletives here> damn about the name, black coffee is black coffee.  I get asked if i want an Americano.  My initial response, and was for a few months, was 'no, I want a black coffee ...'. Eventually I was told, 'but that is what it is, Americano IS black coffee'.  Now when I get asked that I answer, 'yes, a black coffee, please'.  Guess how many times the next question is, 'do you want milk with that?'? crying

But back on topic - I know problems happen - to err is human and all that, but there really should be more care with presentation; it projects an unprofessional impression when basic language use is 'mangled'.

If they are trying to tell you that an Americano is a black coffee, they don't know what they are talking about. An Americano is an espresso drink prepared in a very specific way.

A black coffee is just a coffee.

I trademarked the Musselchino™.
    It's a cappuccino with steamed Oyster Bay mussels finished in a berblanc of drawn butter (drawn by a police sketch artist), a Raman Noodles spice packet I found under rear tire of a '72 AMC Gremlin and half a bottle of Boones Farm Peconic Reserve White-ish Wine, because it's 9:30 in the morning and I already drank the other half.

The return on investment is pretty good seeing so many mussels this year in the bay. The mussels apparently muscled out all the oysters from the area, and there are no more oysters in Oyster Bay or I simply didn't look for them at all really and just asked I guy with a mullet as he roared past in his Camero blasting Agents of Fortune on his 8-Track. The problem is "Mussel Bay" sounds like a dance club in the East Village so Oyster Bay it stays for now.

Either way I'll need to trademark Mussel Bay™ just in case.

It's a cappuccino with steamed Oyster Bay mussels finished in a berblanc of drawn butter (drawn by a police sketch artist), a Raman Noodles spice packet I found under rear tire of a '72 AMC Gremlin and half a bottle of Boones Farm Peconic Reserve White-ish Wine, because it's 9:30 in the morning and I already drank the other half.

The return on investment is pretty good seeing so many mussels this year in the bay. The mussels apparently muscled out all the oysters from the area, and there are no more oysters in Oyster Bay or I simply didn't look for them at all really and just asked I guy with a mullet as he roared past in his Camero blasting Agents of Fortune on his 8-Track. The problem is "Mussel Bay" sounds like a dance club in the East Village so Oyster Bay it stays for now.

You did not just use a Blue Oyster Cult reference to suggest something was dated. Shame, shame on you.

You did not just use a Blue Oyster Cult reference to suggest something was dated. Shame, shame on you.

Mullet: yes, Camaro: yes, 8-Track: yes, BÖC: yes ,but with an explanation.  BÖC are still awesome and they are the Led Zeppelin of Long Island. Buck Dharma could run for grand-high pubah of Nassau County. There's a law on Long Island, (I know 'cus I made it up!) if you're in a cover band you're either playing Pat Benatar's "hit me with your best shot" or Godzilla, or combining them into a single monstrosity: Godzilla with Pat Benatar's chin and vocal range.

Mullet: yes, Camaro: yes, 8-Track: yes, BÖC: yes ,but with an explanation.  BÖC are still awesome and they are the Led Zeppelin of Long Island. Buck Dharma could run for grand-high pubah of Nassau County. There's a law on Long Island, (I know 'cus I made it up!) if you're in a cover band you're either playing Pat Benatar's "hit me with your best shot" or Godzilla, or combining them into a single monstrosity: Godzilla with Pat Benatar's chin and vocal range.

well, that's alright then. I went to the memorial show for Alan Lanier at BB Kings. Great show, crappy venue. First time I have ever gotten to see Albert play with them. First time seeing Joe on stage in...30 years?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have a pretty good idea of where the future is headed and it really scares me. 

Me too!

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    Chohole said:

Pudding,  would that be rice pudding, tapioca pudding, suet pudding, steamed pudding, steak and kidney pudding, black pudding, christmas pudding, bread pudding,  bread and butter pudding .......   hmm  I haven't found one yet made of jello, which I assume is you equivalent of Jelly,  and what we call jam is what you call jelly    and I am getting confuzzled.

They make Jell-o brand gelatin and Jell-o Pudding and pie filling, if that helps.

In Canada, Jam is made from crushed fruit and tends to spread better on warm, fresh-baked bread while Jelly is usually made from fruit juice and pectin, be a bit more gelatinous and harder to spread. 

Both are delicious... And now I'm hungry...

wink

-- Walt Sterdan

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,789
    edited August 2016

MY number one linguistic atrocity  routinely commited by people who should know better:
    "Co-Conspirator"...  ARRRRGHH!!!!angry

the "co" prefix is redundant  
    as one has to conspire with at least one other party to be part of a Conspiracy.
    It is the linguistic equivalent of  saying: "Dave wakeman is "Co-partner" in the firm of Wake& howe"
    Partner Like conspirator is not in need of the prefix "Co"
    And we can thank watergate Special prosecutor
    Archibald Cox for visiting this grammatical travesty upon the Amercian vernacular when he named
    the digraced Richard Nixon as an"unindicted
     Co-Conspirator" 

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Sadly, though, after watching the movie Idiocracy and really paying attention to the break down of verbal communication, written communication, and the overall intelligence decline of people I interact with - I have a pretty good idea of where the future is headed and it really scares me. 

An article I read back in.. 1986(?) explained what we're experiencing now.

The Apple Laserwriter had been out for a short while and Desktop Publishing was exploding. In the midst of this, the author of the article explained that laser printers were "ruining his spelling". His assistant had one or two spelling quirks that he tended to notice immediately... at first. Due to the printed quality of the laser printer (which tended to look "professional") and the continual bombardment of the incorrect spelling in the polished, professional print, the incorrect spelling began to look correct, and after a while he started to question himself.

Extrapolating on that, most of us here probably grew up reading printed books, where we saw and got used to words spelled correctly. People born in the last 15 or 20 years or so have probably done most of their reading on the web, through emails, tweets and so on, where there's a distinct lack of editors and grammarians reviewing each paragraph before publishing it. They're probably seeing the incorrect spellings much more frequently than they see the correct spellings, and the incorrect spelling will inevitabley become the "new" spelling.

I find this whole thread very interesting, by the way. I've spent the last 11 years as a DTP person at a translation company, where it's not uncommon for me to typeset 10 or 20 different languages in a single day, each with their own "flavour". wink

-- Walt Sterdan

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,296
    wsterdan said:

Sadly, though, after watching the movie Idiocracy and really paying attention to the break down of verbal communication, written communication, and the overall intelligence decline of people I interact with - I have a pretty good idea of where the future is headed and it really scares me. 

An article I read back in.. 1986(?) explained what we're experiencing now.

The Apple Laserwriter had been out for a short while and Desktop Publishing was exploding. In the midst of this, the author of the article explained that laser printers were "ruining his spelling". His assistant had one or two spelling quirks that he tended to notice immediately... at first. Due to the printed quality of the laser printer (which tended to look "professional") and the continual bombardment of the incorrect spelling in the polished, professional print, the incorrect spelling began to look correct, and after a while he started to question himself.

Extrapolating on that, most of us here probably grew up reading printed books, where we saw and got used to words spelled correctly. People born in the last 15 or 20 years or so have probably done most of their reading on the web, through emails, tweets and so on, where there's a distinct lack of editors and grammarians reviewing each paragraph before publishing it. They're probably seeing the incorrect spellings much more frequently than they see the correct spellings, and the incorrect spelling will inevitabley become the "new" spelling.

I find this whole thread very interesting, by the way. I've spent the last 11 years as a DTP person at a translation company, where it's not uncommon for me to typeset 10 or 20 different languages in a single day, each with their own "flavour". wink

-- Walt Sterdan

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  "It was a mistake to put computers into the hands of the multitudes". 

It's like homogenizing milk, you can't find the cream anymore.   surprise

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,353

Four of the most misused words in the English language.

Psychopath: someone with no sense of ethics or morality whatsoever and a calculating, manipulative personality.  Psychopaths are not necessarily violent but can, of course, be homicidal.

Sociopath: someone with no sense of ethics or morality whatsoever and an impulsive, erratic personality.

Psychotic: a mentally ill person who has completely lost touch with reality.

Sadistic: this forum is an inappropriate place to offer a precise definition of this term suffice to say that it should never be used as a synonym for brutal, vicious or cruel but often is. 

As I noted the last time the subject of English usage came up, the terms psychopath and psychotic are  often used interchangeably despite the fact that they refer to totally different psychological conditions.

Cheers,

Alex.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Agreed, Blue Oyster Cult is timeless. Even teens with good taste in music listen to them. 

Of course I think the same about The Cure. heheh