Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    BTW Michael I cam across a site, selling copies of some of your work as cards. Called Redbubble.

That's actually my page... I'm registered there. I don't sell much work through them, and don't promote it much, as I get very little of the profit. The work I upload is very small in file size, so people can't do much with it beyond the purchase of little cards. Those sites aren't much more than social networking sites, and I don't take it seriously. I do sell high quality work through my own webpage though.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

OK, so now I want a link, although a couple of special people are going to get special cards next birthday.

I lost a lot of my bookmarks when I changed computers, as I didn't back them up right. :red:

You should put your site link in the signature bar in your profile.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    OK, so now I want a link, although a couple of special people are going to get special cards next birthday.

You should put your site link in the signature bar in your profile.

Aww, very nice!

I think I will start adding a signature with a link. For now, there's this:
    https://sites.google.com/site/michaelfrankphotographs/

It isn't updated with my recent work yet, but when I do, I'll be adding a price guide. And maybe a link too, to Etsy, as soon I'm signed up.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone. This is a render of my version of Bryce Canyon in Utah. Which is 150 mile,s north of me. I tried to use dave's tutatorial of blending material and tex. but still need to work on that some more. Band colors are close to right. the forground trees are a little bland. looking to put some more green at the creek edge. I tried to find Dave Tutatoral on blending again but lost it.

Maybe this will help Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - material lab channels - an overview by David Brinnen ti's hot off the press.

Michael, well the thing that is most striking to me, aside from the high quality of your work (that always strikes me) but how well the pieces are fitted into their environment and also how well they suit one another. That being said, the piece that immediately drew my attention from the link - relic - perhaps because it is the odd one out, or because of some quality of the light, with minor changes to the material and lighting, I think it would be hard to tell this from an exhibition fossil, in form, entirely plausible. Amazing work!

And from me, something fun and trivial... Bryce 15 minute material project - optical illusion moving spots - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Optic3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 761K
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone. This is a render of my version of Bryce Canyon in Utah. Which is 150 mile,s north of me. I tried to use dave's tutatorial of blending material and tex. but still need to work on that some more. Band colors are close to right. the forground trees are a little bland. looking to put some more green at the creek edge. I tried to find Dave Tutatoral on blending again but lost it.

Maybe this will help Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - material lab channels - an overview by David Brinnen ti's hot off the press.

Michael, well the thing that is most striking to me, aside from the high quality of your work (that always strikes me) but how well the pieces are fitted into their environment and also how well they suit one another. That being said, the piece that immediately drew my attention from the link - relic - perhaps because it is the odd one out, or because of some quality of the light, with minor changes to the material and lighting, I think it would be hard to tell this from an exhibition fossil, in form, entirely plausible. Amazing work!

And from me, something fun and trivial... Bryce 15 minute material project - optical illusion moving spots - a tutorial by David Brinnen

David, thanks very much! That piece, "relic" was made into a large poster for a client a year ago, and it was quite a surprise to see it so huge. It made me think of a lot of new things; namely, how to improve the quality of the materials and lighting. I may revisit it sometime, as it remains a favorite of mine. I've made a lot of progress since then.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Whilst we're in the Wild West:

Wild-West.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 287K
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

4 Tori :) , (as Horo already explained its not Toruss or toruses).
    could well be used to make a pic of an Einstein Rosen bridge.
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 1969

Here one of my first images following a bit Davids tutorial :)

cube_(723x724).jpg
    723 x 724 - 84K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: That black and white image reminds me of a very old photograph. I think it's really nice. The last one is also very nice, though I think you'd not want to leave the leftovers from lunch laying around. That one also looks very hot in that area.

@Michael: Those are some very beautiful images. What type of printer do you use that prints on canvas or cloth?

@canyon: I like what you've done in the canyon image. Feels like I could cool off in that water.

@eireann: Looks like you're getting squared away. That image looks as though it made of ceramics. That's a nice job.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@canyonmanterry - You're making progress.

@TheSavage64 - That monochrome render looks like an old photograph. Very well done. The Wild West as well.

@David - The haze distribution looks very nice. Video is worth watching.

@M1chaelFrank - The pictures at the exhibition look great. I can imagine that they look even greater at a larger size. Framing them makes them look even richer. Great to hear that it was a success, you've certainly earned it.

@eireann.sg - Great result and nicely presented.

edited December 1969

Dave, good looking desert scene. You may already know this, but since the regular render engine is a different engine to the premium engine, you can sometimes get a radical improvement on high frequency bump materials (like your ground mat) by switching over and just using 16/32 rpp even if you don't engage any of the premium effects.

Eireann, I hope you are pleased with the results of your hollow cube, because I think it looks beautiful. The only improvement I would suggest would be rendering with a HDRI backdrop in place to pick up the highlights on your metals.

Horo, thank you.

Here is another horrible squirmy image...

Optic4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 941K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

Wow this thread is galloping at a very fast pace – we now have part 2 and I can’t keep up. All the renders are very inspirational and the feedback and comments very informative. I spent most of my Sunday morning viewing both threads and some of the others. There is too much to catch up on.

Renders by TheSavage, Keryna, Canyonman, abstracts by Silverdali and the interior one by Jaymohoney are my fav.

@Michael Frank - very stunning amazing work.

@ eireann - cool cube is that the 3D wing tut. I think I need to download that program.

@GussNemo - great work with the wagon, I’m really impressed and I admire your dedication in completing it. Mine is on hold at the moment.

@Gabriel - I love the underwater effect you achieved. I worked with David’s tuts too taking a bit from this tut and a bit from that and using Horo’s emitter tut for bubbles. I’m having problems with rendering it. The Render time reads 3 or so hrs and Bryce crashes within 15-20mins lol. I think I need to make the document smaller.

A big thank you to David and Horo for sharing their talent with us; thanks to advances in technology, I can watch the videos while commuting, a good way to past the time.

edited December 1969

Eireann, I hope you are pleased with the results of your hollow cube, because I think it looks beautiful. The only improvement I would suggest would be rendering with a HDRI backdrop in place to pick up the highlights on your metals.

Yes, for having Bryce only since one week I am very happy with it.
    I am still exploring that HDRI backdrop technique. I havent figured it all out, yet.
    I tried to put in one of Horo's HDR images but it didnt look too good. Guess I have got to practice some more :)

@mermaid010 Yes, its from David's Wings tut. Wings seems to do a few quite neat tricks. Tried to do something similar with Hexagon but it seems more difficult to handle.

edited December 1969

Here is another horrible squirmy image...

Darn thing doesn't stay put.
    edited December 1969

The only improvement I would suggest would be rendering with a HDRI backdrop in place to pick up the highlights on your metals.
    OK, found it and the specs got more.
    cube2_(686x687).jpg
    686 x 687 - 82K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Dave, good looking desert scene. You may already know this, but since the regular render engine is a different engine to the premium engine, you can sometimes get a radical improvement on high frequency bump materials (like your ground mat) by switching over and just using 16/32 rpp even if you don't engage any of the premium effects.

No I didn't know it was a completely different render engine, though of course I know you get different result, thanks.

It was rendered with premium (at only 4rpp) and uses TA. I did a render at 32rpp too but I preferred the one with all the noise as it looks more gritty.

And just in case anyone thinks the black and white old photo one was done using some secret Bryce technique, I'll just point out that the photo effects are entirely Photoshop. :)

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Updated version. Thanks Dave. I have looked at the video a dozen time and work a few hour trying to get it right I will keep working it to get better at it. The lighting was kind a of an "opps' when I imported the bird brought the light and haze with it?. I liked and save it.

Thebrycecanyon2_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 189K
    edited December 1969

Looks nice and certainly improved. You can control the height of the haze with the Cumulus Cloud height, even though you don't have them enabled. With this sharp transition it looks a bit like smoke from a campfire.

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Called the fire department to put out the fire.

Thebrycecanyon2_(800x404)_(2).jpg
    800 x 404 - 202K
    edited December 1969

Called the fire department to put out the fire.

Good job!
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

Lately I have tried to create a material, that looks a bit like peeling color.

abgetragen.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 50K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

I really like your render canyonman, I see a waterfall in the rear, very nicely done.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thanks very much! Yes, framing and large printing really makes quite the difference. I'm happy to say that at this point, I've sold 10 pieces from that show. Very happy about that.

@mermaid010: Thanks very much for your nice comment!

@GussNemo: Thanks, glad you like them! I use 2 different printing companies, as I don't have a large printer myself: I go to the Giclee Factory in Quebec City for my archival printing. I recommend them for their quality and good prices; they print on canvas and watercolor paper, up to 40"x72" or thereabouts. For fabric, I use Spoonflower, and so far, I think they do a very good job. Printing on fabric is a bit more difficult, since you need a bit more awareness of color management. It makes for some very nice results though.

• mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I have learned much from the people and tutorials in this forum and just wanted to thank all of you. I hope you like this one. The only post render work was the addition of my mark and the date of render.

Walkaway.png
    1114 x 829 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - good try, I'm not convinced though. Perhaps if the flaked-off parts were larger.

@canyonmanterry & mermaid010 - is i really a waterfall? I thought it too, but was not certain.

@mx42b - lovely low-light scene.

I have also a render to show, after more than 2 months. Hiro is from DAZ 3D and the fanblades on the ground were made in Wings3D by David and are available for free http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1879

The scene is lit by IBL using the HDRI that makes the backdrop. The shadows proved to be a bit tricky to get right. Rendered with quality 1024 in this size in 6 minutes - most of the time was used for the hair.

Fans.jpg
    534 x 800 - 87K
    edited December 1969

Horo - well done, yes I know this challenge well!

Hmn... but in the mean time, I've continued to muck about with shifting colours. I've tried to combine two illusions here...

Combined_illusions1.jpg
    750 x 750 - 698K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That one moves even more that the others.

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited October 2012

Thanks David for the tut it was interesting and great to learn something new, I have a question for you could you direct me to a tut for masking objs ext..........and if you could also show me how to fix it in Photoshop if possible

Tut.jpg
    1650 x 700 - 645K
    Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

Whilst we're in the Wild West:

The wild west looks pretty cool to me even though there is not a lot of life what a superb piece of work
    edited December 1969

Here one of my first images following a bit Davids tutorial :)
    @ eireann.sg Snap i have just done this tut as well, the cube looks fantastic
This discussion has been closed.