Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    First attempt of an interior.

Lighting: nine conical lights and one spherical. Tried volumetric lighting as per Dan’s fog cube setup, however, too many light rays ‘wash-out’ the scene (experimenting, therefore, a recommendation). Main light is behind the camera, and is affecting shadow intensity in areas like, for example, the cushion on the ground, leading edge of carpet, chair etc.,...and other areas (click image for larger view on these). Again, more experiementation required, however, for now, this is a finished work.

Artwork title: “Posh Pad”

Jay

This is a very nice indoor scene, much better than I could accomplish. I'm nevertheless not completely convinced. If you intend to go seriously into indoors, I recommend to have a look at Rashad's for inspiration. Here are some examples.

http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3906
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3115
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2922
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2564

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Jay: I like what you've done with the varying shadows, and lighting in general. With the light colored walls light will bounce around like a rubber ball, giving shadows you've produced.

I do question the missing light from the corner floor lamp. If the shade has an open top as most do, there would be light hitting the ceiling and sometimes washing the wall up to the ceiling in a cone of light. The first link Horo gave of Rashad's render is a good example. Look at the floor lamp near the stairs, notice how the light lightly washes the wall on its way to the ceiling.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Here's one that started off as a quick scene set up because of a question Terry asked in another thread.
    I worked on it a bit more after I'd posted the original... Here's how it look at the moment.

Tree-Lane-ALTc.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 288K
    edited December 1969

Here's one that started off as a quick scene set up because of a question Terry asked in another thread.
    I worked on it a bit more after I'd posted the original... Here's how it look at the moment.

Looks good so far. The pose of the lady looks very goof to me.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2012

Savage...many thanks. Yes, forgot to mention the Sun is also playing its part, in part. I reduced down its intensity during the project as an experiment, but the spherical light (main light source) was the key (the other conicals are just for eye-candy effects for the lamps etc.,).

Agree with you totally on the Volumetric...it.....was....soooooo.......sllllloooooooowwwwwww. I could see half way through the render (about 15 hours waiting) that the wall lamps and Sun were affecting the scene, so I just stopped it then. I created a seperate interior scene with a small window, a single lamp, and reduced down the rez for experimenting around with the necessary settings that I could then apply to the main Interior scene, but the experiment was giving varied results that one could be forever tweeking here and there the settings. Gave up in the end, and did the normal, non-volumetric render.

GussNemo...many thanks, too. Yes, now that I look at it, I should have included that additional light to bounce upwards through the top of the open lamp. It would simply have been an easy task - just copy the bottom conical light, re-paste it on top to look upwards.

As for Rashad's works...mmmmmm...love the first one very much....what an interior. And that's something I found very interesting about doing an interior scene, one can, literally, design one's own fantasy room or house without the slightest cost in hiring an architect :) . I would defintely recommend doing an interior to anyone, as one does learn a lot about placement of objects, use of object types, use of materials, and, of course, lighting, as this, essentially becomes the main theme in such projects. But patience and planning out an interior are defintelly factors, too.

Horo, always thanks...and yes, Rashad is an interior master. I agree also with the final look to the work - it really doesn't represent a real natural interior (and I would apply this comment also to Rashad's works - no offence, Rashad, if you're reading this). I don't kwow what it is; I wonder would it have anything to do with how one uses materials, the material themselves (would real, imaged photographic materials be best?) as applied to objects, or is it that such works always appear too clinical, to tidy. Or, is it that interiors require real-looking humans in them (my lady friend in the scene certainly doesn't look real to me) to give a -lived-in feeling. I don't know!

Will defintely do another interior in the near future, though.

All thanks again
    Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

I tried to work on the tree leaves in the render of the girl up in the tree with the two birds. I managed to crash Bryce about 8 times before I gave up. I think it is because the Undo memory has to be cleared out, perhaps by saving? But I didnt save because I was testing out the appearance of each tweak. I was trying to follow Rashad's suggestions on making tree leaves look better per Horo's comments. I'll keep working on it, it was a sketch anyway.

However I was inspired by a link from another forum thread in The Commons to Lyne's Creations where I picked up a couple of her freebie animals. Here is her Lynx. The moss on the tree trunks is purely an accident of Bryce generating a trunk mat randomly when I created the first tree---I saved that to my presets! The floor cover is from Flink's Autumn. I couldn't find my Lisa's Botanicals equivalent. I used the Bryce leaves for poplar and elm and tweaked the ambience and the translucence. I put one of the trees on it's side as a fallen limb and it looks more clear in the un-reduced tiff than this reduced jpg here. I used one indirect light to bring out the lynx but was able to preserve the tree branch shadows cast on its body.

LynxLyne1.jpg
    800 x 411 - 77K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Still busy setting up my new computer! Thanks for all the great advice, it renders well with no heating issues so far.

This was a little experimenting to see what happens if ... rather different ... resizing it smaller didn't do it any good. However ...

"Illusion Forest"

illusionforest.png
    800 x 399 - 429K
    edited October 2012

Today's render moved back indoors... Again it started off as a simple load, light and render.
    In reality, I ended up re-texturing the whole kitchen in Bryce materials, then importing the girl and also texturing her up in Bryce too.
    This has lead to her looking like she's got some sort of rash or skin condition going on... oooops.

Kitchen-Girl2.jpg
    929 x 574 - 167K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

@Ice: Somewhere in here, or on another site, I read where it was suggested having the Task Manager open during rendering to watch memory usage. When it got to, I think, 1.2 M it was time to save the image, exit Bryce and restart it to reset memory usage. This might help with rendering the leaves in your girl up the tree image.

@Patience: While I think that's a interesting render, I think a different sky would work better. The one you've used gives me the impression of looking at the underside of the surface of a body of water.

@Dave: It took me a moment to realize it was a hoe the lady was carrying in your first image. I think the figure really adds to the overall look. Looking at the conical shaped tree standing over the path, it looks to me like it's floating. Maybe something placed to give an impression of a trunk would help?
    I like your interior scene, except that girl makes me wonder if she isn't questioning where someones been. She looks like she could chew nails. :lol: One thing, though, would the floor reflection on the refrigerator door trim be as strong as you've showed it? I think it would be there, just more muted.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: It took me a moment to realize it was a hoe the lady was carrying in your first image.
    Am slightly disappointed to find that people think it's a woman. I thought it looked sufficiently male. :-)
    Also, it's not a hoe... It's one of those old fashioned "all my belongings bagged up and suspended on a stick over my shoulder" type of things that were stereotypical of someone going on a journey many years ago.
    I've done another quick render as he comes out the other side of the tree tunnel that hopefully illustrates it better. :coolsmile:

GussNemo said:
    I think the figure really adds to the overall look.
    Yes, it adds gender ambiguity apparently lol!!!

GussNemo said:
    Looking at the conical shaped tree standing over the path, it looks to me like it's floating. Maybe something placed to give an impression of a trunk would help?

Yes, the base of the scene was done very quickly and I could (should) have gone back and edited the terrain that makes up the bulk of the tree canopy so it wasn't so obvious. Really I was just showing Terry that the effect he was trying to get is achievable. Seeing what he's done in such a short time I'm sure he'd get it looking better than I did if he gave it a go. It also demonstrates a few other things he's asked about recently; A winding track and walls that follow the winding track, which I made using layered terrains.

I like your interior scene, except that girl makes me wonder if she isn't questioning where someones been. She looks like she could chew nails. :lol:

Well as long as there's a story going on in people's head when they see the picture... :-)
    My story was that it could be a teenage girl protesting because mum has told her "you're not going out dressed like that" but yours is as good if not better.

One thing, though, would the floor reflection on the refrigerator door trim be as strong as you've showed it? I think it would be there, just more muted.
    Shiny chrome trimmed refrigerators... Mum is very house proud and always keeps it well polished. :-)

Tree-Lane-ALTd.jpg
    758 x 500 - 266K
    edited December 1969

Here he is again with all the trees removed to better illustrate the track and walls. Which I know could have been done a lot better had I spent more time on them. :)

Walking-man-no-trees.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 230K
    edited December 1969

@Dave: I can see the rebellious teen, and of course, not dressed like that. :lol:
    Ok, now I see the figure as being male. Buuuttt...I still see a hoe. I think what's leading me to that conclusion is its triangular shape. A more rounded object, slightly puffy, lighter colored, would give the pouch on a stick affect. I really like the path with walls in the last image.

• edited October 2012

Shark reef... ans play with volumetric texture...

File br7 : 383 ko...
    Shark from http://www.planit3d.com/source/meshes_files/shark1.html modified in Hexagon
    Texture volumetric for reef...
    Render time : 3 h (Regular AA)

Récif_copie.jpg
    1811 x 942 - 655K
    Post edited by gabrielmoreau1968_8c02e302d9 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

i had another go at the moon gate,.

This one is called "Dancing in the Moonlight" but my Vickie has lost a bit of weight.

Moongate_spooky_2_copy.jpg
    675 x 900 - 410K
    edited December 1969

@Gabrie: Love the underside look of the water, and the texture of the rocks(?), sand for the bottom, I presume. But the shark looks like it's just hanging in the scene, not that it's in water. Look at the Underwater city thread and see what David did to give his scenes an underwater look. I realize your scene is supposed to be in clear water, but even clear water has a definite look under the surface.

@chohole: Looks like Vickie lost more than weight. Some might think it too dark, but given the atmosphere with skeleton and streaming light, I think everything works. Now if you only had a pumpkin sitting somewhere. Or a bat hanging around somewhere. Or cobwebs...

• edited December 1969

Merci Monsieur GussNemo... I'm not completely agree with your comment.

OK, my image is far from complete... but I find it interesting to show what volumetric textures are capable of making. It is the purpose of this image unpretentious.

I follow each tuto of David but difficult to compare me to him... I do not have the same level of mastery, of course.

What I especially like in this picture is mostly the file size... It is mainly for this reason that I wanted to show it.

On the other hand, in the images that I created, I am rarely in search of realism... perfect rendering of a toy box not seem very interesting... And i'm not sure that Bryce is the perfect 3D tool for realism (compare to Vray for exemple). Bryce is the tool of 3D dreams... I love this software.

If you look more ready, rock fleets around without touching the bottom. Normal because it is a cloud texture initially...

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Shark reef... ans play with volumetric texture...

File br7 : 383 ko...
    Shark from http://www.planit3d.com/source/meshes_files/shark1.html modified in Hexagon
    Texture volumetric for reef...
    Render time : 3 h (Regular AA)

Stunning work on the volumetric reef! That is fantastic. Here is one of Horo's, the overall effect is very good, but it does not stand up to such close inspection as your reef. http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3806&mode=search

edited December 1969

The colour version turned out really bad... luckily, the old cowboy films were in black and white. :lol:

Horseman.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 188K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited October 2012

The colour version turned out really bad... luckily, the old cowboy films were in black and white. :lol:

The rock effects on the upper left have turned out very nicely in this scene. Only, I wonder how this would look with lens flare... no... no... only kidding.

Edit. I swapped out the standard Bryce haze for Dan Whiteside's fog mat. Rendered. Saved as HDRI and tonemapped.

Ps3.jpg
    1133 x 850 - 237K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

The rock effects on the upper left have turned out very nicely in this scene. Only, I wonder how this would look with lens flare... no... no... only kidding.
    I was most pleased with the dust that the horses hooves are kicking up, but there are parts of that Canyon and Vegetation texture of yours that I used that do look very good on this particular terrain... lol! at lens flare. :lol:

Edit. I swapped out the standard Bryce haze for Dan Whiteside's fog mat. Rendered. Saved as HDRI and tonemapped.

Now it looks a little bit too bleached out. I think Dan's volumetric fog mat may be bouncing light around too much and turning the sun down will help.
    edited December 1969

Savage...vey nice effect..must try it in a work sometime.

David...forgive my ignorence here. I've heard this word 'Tone-mapped' a few times now, could you explain what it is and what it does. And, is it a useful appliance to a scene.

Cheers
    Jay

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi... I'd like to share a few images of my recent show. Images are computer-printed on fabric and canvas. The panels are 3x4 feet, and stretched on a frame. The show was a big success and I sold 5 pieces. Very happy with it.

show1.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 206K
    show2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 198K
    show3.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 165K
    show4.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 217K
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    David...forgive my ignorence here. I've heard this word 'Tone-mapped' a few times now, could you explain what it is and what it does. And, is it a useful appliance to a scene.

Cheers
    Jay

I may answer this question. Bryce renders internally with a precision of 48 bit (16 bit per colour). Once you save the scene or the rendered picture, it will be converted to 24 bit (8 bit per colour). However, if you export the rendered image just when it finished rendering, you can export it as 48 bit TIFF or as 96 bit (32 bit per colour) HDRI. This picture contains all the information Bryce put into it.

On the monitor, you are limited to 24 bit because of the graphics card. You have now to bring down the dynamic range of 96 or 48 bit to 24 bit. This process is called tone-mapping. There are about 50 tone-mappers around, some with up to a dozen controls that can be adjusted. The result of a tone-mapping process is either a completely spoiled picture - or one that looks very much better. Tone-mapping is an art. Bryce features two built-in tone-mappers: linear (just squeezing everything into 256 levels per pixel) and a photographic one. Both are global, there are also local tone-mappers.

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone. This is a render of my version of Bryce Canyon in Utah. Which is 150 mile,s north of me. I tried to use dave's tutatorial of blending material and tex. but still need to work on that some more. Band colors are close to right. the forground trees are a little bland. looking to put some more green at the creek edge. I tried to find Dave Tutatoral on blending again but lost it.

Thebrycecanyon_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 226K
  • canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@MFrank . Outstanding. maybe after a few years at this i,ll get close to that. I,m very impressed.

edited December 1969

@MFrank . Outstanding. maybe after a few years at this i,ll get close to that. I,m very impressed.

Thanks very much for your nice comment, I really appreciate it!

edited December 1969

Hi... I'd like to share a few images of my recent show. Images are computer-printed on fabric and canvas. The panels are 3x4 feet, and stretched on a frame. The show was a big success and I sold 5 pieces. Very happy with it.

So glad the show went well Michael. I think you know my opinion of your work by now. Superb is the lest of the accolades I have used.
    edited October 2012

Horo...many thanks for the info., on Tonemapping. It looks, to all intents and purposes, a useful method, and will have to look into it further (I really haven’t gone down the HDRI route quite yet).

Just checked out Luminance HDR -a freeware HDR software, which I downloaded some time back (it was mentioned once in the old Bryce forum), and see it has a Tonemapping button. So, will play around with a just-saved Tiff Bryce render (the 'ware, however, has no good instructions with it, so experimention required).

Many thanks again
    Jay

Edit: David...no need to answer ;)

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

So glad the show went well Michael. I think you know my opinion of your work by now. Superb is the lest of the accolades I have used.

Thanks so very much! I'm really quite happy right now.

edited December 1969

BTW Michael I cam across a site, selling copies of some of your work as cards. Called Redbubble.

This discussion has been closed.