Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

@Gussnemo: I misunderstood you, I thought you did not like the dome. I,ll put another one in soon. But for now I resetted the scene. To the concept I had in mind. I,m tried to change the filter for the snow on the center mountain but I,m not getting good results so I keep it as is. I,ll experiment with it later. The eagle I used before. Like to use better lighting on the mountain thou. I have another concept of putting a white/like marble structure to blend in with the scene. I,m sure you guys has done scene like this before. I added a less haze version??

Greek_to_me4_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 226K
    Greek_to_me3_(800x404)_(2).jpg
    800 x 404 - 229K
    Post edited by canyonmanterry on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@canyon: First off, you're the artist, you decide what you like and want, not what others like or want. The end results are from decisions you make, from choices you like. Others can only help in what might look better. Many pointed out things in my pull toy image I hadn't seen, because I was too close to the work. And many helped me with the technical aspects because I lacked the knowledge and experience to make improvements.

The dome in the first instance gave a more pronounced feeling to the structure and overall scene. I believe you used the second dome in the eagle scene? See how flat, and almost nonexistent that dome looks from the distance of the eagle? How it doesn't really help draw the viewer's eye to the central theme of the scene? Switch out the domes and render the second eagle scene again. I think you'll find that dome stands out much better, brings the viewer's eye back to that location, and makes the marble structure the central point of view once again. And I do think the second image is better with the lower haze level.

Keep in mind, these are only suggestions, nothing cut in stone. You hold the hammer and chisel and only you know where to strike.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Here's amateur Avis admiring avian friends in a tree canopy. Kind of a sketch for a project I have in mind. Posed in DAZ4.0. I was so glad to watch a tutorial at youtub that showed how to do that. It pulled in all her Morph++morphing sliders, so I played with face features a tiny bit.
    Regular render in Bryce7 with only cropping.. I could not make the DAZ4.0 program bring up the materials for the SongBirdRemix 3 P parrot so I just applied shader colours. Credits for stuff are: Parrots/SongBirdRemix/KenGilliland' Pose by McSneaky
    V4 with a little morph tweak by me and a nice green surface "wetsuit" for climbing in damp tree canopies
    SpikedLegsandharness/StrictlyHARD The Legs and the Suit/Powerage
    Wristguards/Journeyer Scout
    Slippers/Fae/DAz
    Bryce trees&sky;

AvisRara.jpg
    800 x 551 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Thanks!!. I like the dome anyway. One more shot at this, changed angle and texture on the mountains. I hope that brought out the dias a little more. Well enough of this for tonight. Night here at the Grand Canyon is clear and I'm pulling out the 10" Dob. Have a good night!

Greek_to_me5_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 187K
    edited December 1969

@Ice: That's a real cute image. She looks so thrilled seeing that little bird.

@canyon: The saying goes, hit the nail on the head. I personally would put that image in the vault, it's a real keeper. The changes really did it justice. Very nice job. And yes, the dais is clearly more visible.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I've been trying to get a feel of the countryside around here (the edge of Saddleworth Moor)

Here are two variations. I think the scenery is quite close but the lighting needs work.

Peak-District-Balloon.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 182K
    Peak-District1.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 165K
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

Link to an image I did in another thread. First successful import of a Genesis character to Bryce, and first time fiddling with the render settings. Some postwork.

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=26310_0xIjHbr2gZAlNmQvsKCS&board_id=1

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I've been trying to get a feel of the countryside around here (the edge of Saddleworth Moor)

Here are two variations. I think the scenery is quite close but the lighting needs work.

The scene looks good, Dave, very good. The shadows of the clouds over the landscape is a nice touch. The scale looks about right, but I feel that you are using too much haze to compensate for the dark underbelly of the clouds instead of offsetting this with ambient within the material. They appear to be too high contrast in comparison with the ground. Generally, to be realistic, clouds are rather grey things and darker tones will be found on the ground. In your examples the clouds at their darkest are almost as dark as their shadows and the dark patches of trees - which look excellent incidentally. My advice, if you want it, is to reduce the haze and make the clouds more delicate. I'd be happy to tinker with them for you if you wanted. As per usual though, your work is pleasing to the eye.

edited December 1969

@Odaa: That's a real nice image, though just one question. Are the white spots on the ground light coming through the canopy of the trees? If so, would they be as bright as they are given how the sun appears to be either setting or rising?

@Dave: Those scenes are very nice. I believe the first is better as it doesn't have the amount of haze as in the second. I don't think the second scene is out of possibility because I've seen areas that way during grass fires. The balloon is a nice touch. Had you given thought to adding it to the first scene?

edited December 1969

@Odaa. I like it. Nothing from me to critizise. Not yet done much with trees yet.

@ I like them both, but favor the top one as well.

I,m posting another render. I will later try to use dave tutitoral about lighting and softer shadows. After rendering I see I forgot the straw.

Coldcola_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 209K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited October 2012

@IceScribe - I like your render with the lady on the tree. The leaves need some translucency - which increases render time dramatically - but the result is worth it. Rashad came first with this hint and he has posted free leaves here http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2041 and
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2040

@canyonmanterry - it's nice to watch your progress.

@TheSavage64 - Very good renders, both of them, though I like the second one more. Clouds can get that dark on the underside but not with this sky, I think. I once made a similar remark to Rashad as David did and then I started looking more closely to the clouds and found I was wrong.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Good to see this thread progressing at a lively pace. That drink has made me thirsty now...

But, since Dave has set me off with his cloud shadows, I decided to pull up some images of Saddleworth Moor and have a go at the challenge myself. Terrain, cloud slab and standard Bryce sun setup. Nothing fancy, the ground material is a slightly modified version of this one, http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3067

Subtle_clouds4.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 231K
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    Link to an image I did in another thread. First successful import of a Genesis character to Bryce, and first time fiddling with the render settings. Some postwork.

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=26310_0xIjHbr2gZAlNmQvsKCS&board_id=1

Good start. Keep it up.

edited December 1969

@David - looks great, quite realistic.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Odaa: That's a real nice image, though just one question. Are the white spots on the ground light coming through the canopy of the trees? If so, would they be as bright as they are given how the sun appears to be either setting or rising?

I believe they're patchy spots in the ground/vegetation shader (Mediterranean Something Something). I might try the pic again sometime with a greener ground covering. Horo and Canyonmanterry-thank you!

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What are your colour perspective settings? I use something like: RGB(5,7,9) or RGB(5,10,15) or RGB(9,16,25) or sometimes backward order of values for the sunsets.

edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    What are your colour perspective settings? I use something like: RGB(5,7,9) or RGB(5,10,15) or RGB(9,16,25) or sometimes backward order of values for the sunsets.

In which bit?
    The light is coming from HDRI, the sun and ambient bouncing around.
    edited December 1969

The scene looks good, Dave, very good. The shadows of the clouds over the landscape is a nice touch. The scale looks about right, but I feel that you are using too much haze to compensate for the dark underbelly of the clouds instead of offsetting this with ambient within the material. They appear to be too high contrast in comparison with the ground. Generally, to be realistic, clouds are rather grey things and darker tones will be found on the ground. In your examples the clouds at their darkest are almost as dark as their shadows and the dark patches of trees - which look excellent incidentally. My advice, if you want it, is to reduce the haze and make the clouds more delicate. I'd be happy to tinker with them for you if you wanted. As per usual though, your work is pleasing to the eye.

Thanks David, I may do that.
    When I add ambient, the edges of the clouds are losing all definition, same with reducing the haze.
    Have played around with this all day and not got anywhere with it yet.
    I could cheat and make the scene a lot smaller so the haze isn't affecting the scenery so much I suppose, but having got the clouds and their shadows about right, I'd then have to alter the cloud material too to try and get something similar in scale.
    Am putting it to one side now and I'll try to get back to it sometime this coming week. :)
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Odaa said:

Good start. Keep it up. Congrats Horo it is some thing when that happens it took me ages to figure out Daz

edited December 1969

@IceScribe - I like your render with the lady on the tree. The leaves need some translucency - which increases render time dramatically - but the result is worth it. Rashad came first with this hint and he has posted free leaves here http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2041 and
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2040

@Horo
    Ah! Thank you! You pointed out those very plastic looking leaves. I guessed at glossy leaves for a rain forest foliage, those were kind of philodendron-y, but they looked worse when I tried to use a bump on them for the veins. The material is not a solid green but it appears that way on each leaf for this render. I did not even think to let them be translucent. Thank you for the links to Rashad's tips for leaves and templates. I'm going to try his suggestions. The Bryce trees are very challenging.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo
    thank you for the comment on the woman and the birds. I was indeed concentrating on her expression, and not so much on the foliage, but in a render, I guess everything needs balance.

edited December 1969

@IceScribe - yes, philodendron leaves have no translucency, they are a bit "leathery".

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

It started with the texture of the wall. Then I thought a single wall is a bit boring and added the archway and the yard. Afterwards I changed the light to an evening mood and added the trees, of which you can hardly see anything, except the shadows. And in the end I added the thoughtful young man. Et voila suddenly I got an medieval scene (kind of).

nachdenklich1000x550.jpg
    1000 x 577 - 136K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Been playing with the MOP textures and my Kirin. He looks more fiercesome now.

Kirin_2_copy.jpg
    768 x 768 - 230K
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:

In which bit?

Here is where colour perspective is set, taking over from the default slightly bluish settings of the Bryce standard.

Image1.jpg
    680 x 561 - 173K
    edited December 1969

@electro: Interesting how a scene can develop from a single object. That's a very nice scene.

@Chohole: The creature definitely has fire in its eyes. That is a really nice looking image.

edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - I like the long shadows.

@chohole - very nice study in red.

edited December 1969

While looking for another WIP I ran across this image, one of several I did when I first started using Bryce some time ago. Comments gladly welcomed.

Mountain_Blank_1_5_1.png
    1280 x 748 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Electro-elvis, the wall looks excellent, like Horo too like the long shadows, the work well with the scene and in particular the bump along the ground. The lighting in general is also excellent. All very good.

Pam, you are an indefatigable render machine! This particular range of material effects came about - if it is the ones I'm thinking of - due to a lack of render power and needing to make up for not being able to have a large number of light-sources in scenes. The broad specular highlight combined with the bumpy finish helps "describe" complex geometries - reminding me somewhat of wet clay. Looking good on your Kirin - but I am unconvinced of his fiercesomeness.

Jamie, good contrast and colours, a nice if simple render.

Here, for a bit of fun I, since I've been doing some tests on volumetric light capture. I took a little sinwave pattern from genetica, spherically mapped it around a couple of light sources and put those inside a hollow volumetric fog. I then spherically mapped the inside of this fog.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the spherical map, I think I like it as it is.

Hollow_projection1.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 235K
    New_Texture_2.jpg
    100 x 100 - 9K
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:

In which bit?

Here is where colour perspective is set, taking over from the default slightly bluish settings of the Bryce standard.

Thanks David, in that case, In my renders, it's not even switched on. :)
    What does it do, alter the overall colour balance or something?

This discussion has been closed.