edited December 1969

The dragons, as requested...

FRE3z.jpg
    900 x 720 - 294K
    ARED1z.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 352K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Thankyou. I think they are so good the others should see them as well. :coolsmile:

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Thankyou. I think they are so good the others should see them as well. :coolsmile:

Thanks very much, it's my pleasure.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

You do great work, M!chaelFrank!

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

@M1chaelFrank great concept of the dragons as trees. Nice work!

edited December 1969

Got the Ken Gilliland Pelicans loaded and ready to go. Here is my first effort testing out sending to Bryce (from DAZ3) and then using Duplicate and tilting the object pelicans slightly. I like the way they turned out. Can't get too much "closer" for the whole bird. It shows the construction a bit more obviously. Cropped but otherwise as renedered.

Pelicans.jpg
    800 x 484 - 55K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Seems I'm on catch-up again. Well, in reverse order, the birds flying over the sea did indeed turn out well. Good colour and lighting, nice composition.

Michael Frank I'm pleased to see has joined us here, I've already commented on his fantastic images elsewhere. Needless to say I was very impressed - but a little bit critical - just to show willing. As it would get very dull if I just went on about how much I enjoyed looking at his images. Which I do.

Dave... the ships in the storm... I thought those were stealing the scene, at least until I saw the three skulls. I do like simple scenes done well, and that's a simple scene done very well indeed. I admit though to being a little curious about the compositional choice of having that large empty oblong of black occupying the upper half of the image. I think I'd have dropped the camera and had the horizon pass through the top of the skulls somewhat and cropped 2:1. But I do like your choice. The almost opalescent/pearlescent effect you have from the specular is wonderful. I wish we had a gallery here so I could award you full marks. Just take them anyway!

Here's a few experiments I've been running. Consider them wips for ponderings I've been having about TA rendering and light. They all use Horo's Treppenhalle2 HDRI.

Treppenhalle2_asc4.jpg
    700 x 525 - 174K
    Treppenhalle2_asc3.jpg
    700 x 525 - 144K
    Treppenhalle2_asc2.jpg
    1133 x 850 - 318K
    Treppenhalle2_asc1.jpg
    700 x 525 - 131K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Dave... the ships in the storm... I thought those were stealing the scene, at least until I saw the three skulls. I do like simple scenes done well, and that's a simple scene done very well indeed. I admit though to being a little curious about the compositional choice of having that large empty oblong of black occupying the upper half of the image. I think I'd have dropped the camera and had the horizon pass through the top of the skulls somewhat and cropped 2:1. But I do like your choice.
    The graphic designer in me always likes to leave plenty of space for words... That's where the bit that says "Happy Halloween" will go. :-)

The almost opalescent/pearlescent effect you have from the specular is wonderful. I wish we had a gallery here so I could award you full marks. Just take them anyway!

Thanks, I'll put them safe in my skull decorated box. :cheese:

Here's a few experiments I've been running. Consider them wips for ponderings I've been having about TA rendering and light. They all use Horo's Treppenhalle2 HDRI.
    Looking good!
    In the bottom one with the fire pits, I'd have been too temped to leave the fire extinguisher in view to the left. ;-)

Skull-Box-Big.jpg
    750 x 750 - 241K
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    You do great work, M!chaelFrank!

Thanks very much!

edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    @M1chaelFrank great concept of the dragons as trees. Nice work!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

edited December 1969

Seems I'm on catch-up again. Well, in reverse order, the birds flying over the sea did indeed turn out well. Good colour and lighting, nice composition.

Michael Frank I'm pleased to see has joined us here, I've already commented on his fantastic images elsewhere. Needless to say I was very impressed - but a little bit critical - just to show willing. As it would get very dull if I just went on about how much I enjoyed looking at his images. Which I do.

Dave... the ships in the storm... I thought those were stealing the scene, at least until I saw the three skulls. I do like simple scenes done well, and that's a simple scene done very well indeed. I admit though to being a little curious about the compositional choice of having that large empty oblong of black occupying the upper half of the image. I think I'd have dropped the camera and had the horizon pass through the top of the skulls somewhat and cropped 2:1. But I do like your choice. The almost opalescent/pearlescent effect you have from the specular is wonderful. I wish we had a gallery here so I could award you full marks. Just take them anyway!

Thanks for the support David! i'm working diligently on trying to make my dragons look a bit less like sea-horses, but as luck would have it, I'm actually trying to make a sea-horse now... hmm, I'll be darned if it ends up looking like a dragon. I've been on a "cute" streak lately and fun as it is, I'm determined to be a bit scarier... esp. with Halloween around the corner. Btw, your lighting experiments are fascinating. It's really making me want to try a few more ambitious things!

edited December 1969

David: I liked the first three lighting experiments, but something seemed off about the one with the coals...as if the glow on her legs was too bright, or as if the firelight "shouldn't" be able to reach her legs from that angle.

edited December 1969

Here's the version of the Viking ship image using Horo's suggestions.

VikingShip2HoroSuggestions.jpg
    1536 x 1152 - 180K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited October 2012

@M1chael: Those dragon trees, IMHO, are fantastic. You said your seahorses end up looking like dragons? Well, they sort of do, except with much longer and narrower snouts. Oh, and no fire or big teeth.

@Ice: Looking at that image I feel I'm in the plane that's following those birds. I really like that image.

@David: How in the world did Vicky get all that stuff into that building? Perhaps it's time she sports a pair of leggings and boots? Is the intensity of the white orb the same in all three images? I ask because, while Vicky appears to be the same relative distance from the orb, the intensity in the last image seems to be greater.

@Dave: Love that casket. Those skulls are remarkable.

@Odaa: It's weird, but the longer I studied that image, the more things seem to sway. Up and down, up and down, up and down. :lol:

Now it's my turn. You may have seen the little pull toy I've been working on, and David's offer to give it some fancy lighting. Well, I took him up on his offer and here is the result. He used TA, threw in some carpet, and all I can say is WOW. Such an improvement.

He also asked, because of the carpet, if that was the direction I was headed. Yes, David, it is. I've an image of a wood floor with a round throw rug sitting under the toy, with other toys scattered somewhere in the background.

I did take Dave's advice and redid the pull rope so it fell as it should once it came out of the pull toy end. I also repositioned it so the image isn't as long. I tried playing with the material for the pull rope but didn't like the results so I went back to it's original material, tweaked just slightly..

Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_24_m5.png
    1198 x 700 - 1M
    Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_24_m2_1.png
    1198 x 700 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • TyonnTyonn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, Here's my second render. I changed it up some from my original look. I'm taking a big chance putting it in here. Please go easy on me lol. But if there's anything it needs to make it better, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

Towers.jpg
    800 x 452 - 72K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Tyonn: I personally think this image is much better. While still making one wonder what's further down the river, you've allowed the viewer to actually see the turrets. However, look at the intensity of the light on the left towers. Then look at the intensity of the light on the right. Notice the light on the left appears to hit those towers straight on. While on the right the light hits those towers more on the right side. If the light was straight on then the light should hit the right towers somewhere between just to the left of center going towards the right. Plus, any light being blocked by the tower in front of it would create a shadow. Still, I like it.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Dave, yeah, I missed a trick there, I was so focused on one thing - the edge where the ground meets the background - that I lost sight of the content of the image.

Thanks Michael. There are lots of experiments I'm trying to coax you into, when you've got the time...

Odaa, aye, I've got to agree. This rendered out while I was at work, and it took - a while... and my main concern was the orange light was going to disrupt the hidden join between ground and background. I threw in the pits to explain the light. But you are right.

Tyonn, the composition of the scene is interesting. As far as making it better goes, I will advocate for looking at the lighting first - then materials. Much depends on the power of your CPU though to take advantage of the most sophisticated lighting effects. Although it may seem like a step backwards, you could experiment with something along these lines.Bryce 5 minute project - rendering a simple grey scene - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Setting everything to default grey and rendering with sunlight and TA ambient light (or IBL on a slower machine) - to get a feel for what the lighting alone can do for for scene. I reckon that lighting is more than half the battle with any scene. It is also more consistent between scenes. Often you can change the entire content of a scene and keep the lighting more or less as it was with the last scene and no one will think to comment on that aspect. So if you get to grips with lighting first, it will offer an improvement to every subsequent scene and leave you free to concentrate on the subject and materials. That's just my view.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

We shouldn't forget to mention that Sunlight combined with Light Domes and 3D Fills also can illuminate a plain grey scene, thanks to the Distant option in the light lab.

David, I love these Victoria renders and I like that you've developed what appears to be a light catcher to match the shadow catcher. Clever.

Michael Frank, outstanding work as per your usual. Incredible.

Savage64, you've really got a feel for these "studio" style images. What fascinates me is level of undeniable realism you achieve. Truly bar raising work here!

• TyonnTyonn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Tyonn: I personally think this image is much better. While still making one wonder what's further down the river, you've allowed the viewer to actually see the turrets. However, look at the intensity of the light on the left towers. Then look at the intensity of the light on the right. Notice the light on the left appears to hit those towers straight on. While on the right the light hits those towers more on the right side. If the light was straight on then the light should hit the right towers somewhere between just to the left of center going towards the right. Plus, any light being blocked by the tower in front of it would create a shadow. Still, I like it.

I've tried everything I know to get the reflection of the sun just perfect on the towers, even tried moving the camara around, I just can't seem to get it right no matter what I try lol. Maybe the sun is going down to the left? lol I dunno. I'm glad you like it though, Thank you.

• shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited October 2012

Here are my attempts at an underwater scene, I followed David Brinnen's tutorial on caustics, not quite what I envisioned, couldn't get the misty effect, and the godrays the second one is without the godrays .
    (I made a mistake and have another post somewhere but cannot find it to delete it)

ShipWreck1.jpg
    1754 x 915 - 232K
    ShipWreck.jpg
    1754 x 915 - 231K
    Post edited by shaykall on
    edited December 1969

Another new birdie in my collection. Ken Gilliland's earred owl (I didnt know where to find the ear tufts until after I read the pdf after I did this, after I "installed" it, go figure). House Mouse and Serrge's Potting Shed.

OwlShed.jpg
    800 x 426 - 51K
    edited December 1969

here is the owl morph and mat with the ear tufts morph applied. Same Serrge Potting Shed and same pose for owl, just a different flight position.

EarredOwlShed.jpg
    800 x 471 - 56K
    edited December 1969

With text done in Sketchup and exported as a Collada .dae file (very easy to import into Bryce).
    The pumpkin lantern hasn't turned out as well as I wanted it to... I'm doing another render with just the lantern and the text.

Unhappy-Halloween.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 156K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I got a bit muddled up in this Halloween render, or else Zombie Rudolph was making an early appearance.

We_three_ghosts.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 434K
    edited December 1969

The lantern, lit better.

Pumpkin-Lantern.jpg
    500 x 500 - 156K
    edited December 1969

Picked up the Moon Gate by Jack Tomalin/DAZ as a freebie today. It's got a very nice stone pattern. I used V4 shape on Genesis, and then applied V3 "Wicked" by Moyra on the V4 MFD dress. Hair is Trixie by Goldtassel/DAZ The pose was from one of the preset poses of M4. It was to mix and mesh up all those different types. Saved the whole scene in DAZ4.0 and exported all at once as an object. Bryce 7 had no problem opening or rendering it. Just had to refresh the dress transparencies. I really like the neckline of this dress. Only cropped, no other postwork.

MoongateWicked.jpg
    800 x 499 - 53K
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest little seahorse-dragon.

SEWA2z.jpg
    600 x 720 - 150K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

Although I've been around the block a few times, I've just discovered this thread... there are some really great images here, and quite a lot of nice conversation. I'm a little less active here than I was before, simply because I'm a bit more tied up elsewhere... I don't remember if I've posted this image anywhere before, so I thought I'd give it a go. The final size of this piece is about 20"x24." There's less post-work and compositing here than you would think. All the models are my own. The cumulative render time was about 125 hours. (Some of you may think that's a lot of time, but I render everything at the maximum size possible, in order to print larger, higher quality images.) You can also find a version of this image in the latest edition of Photoshop Creative.

Great fairy tale image, great colours. There is a real part, nevertheless there is a lot for the beholder's imagination to make up.

The first dragon has a wood-like appearance. There is the fence and the scene fades into the fog at right. The second one leaves a more mystic impression on me, the sky colour underlines this impression.

The seahorse dragon looks amazing.

edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - skulls look good. Nice use of DOF.

The coffin also looks great with the heads, shards and skull.

The unhappy Halloween is great. Just the lantern looks flat, but you've discovered that already. The second one does look better but I would expect the pumpkin to be hollow. Perhaps it is, but it is not obvious.

edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    Got the Ken Gilliland Pelicans loaded and ready to go. Here is my first effort testing out sending to Bryce (from DAZ3) and then using Duplicate and tilting the object pelicans slightly. I like the way they turned out. Can't get too much "closer" for the whole bird. It shows the construction a bit more obviously. Cropped but otherwise as renedered.

The pelicans turned out excellently.

The bird in the shed looks good, too. A tiny bit of light for the wing in the shadow, perhaps? Same for the one flying over the roof.

Good use of the Moon Gate. The lady doesn't look happy.

This discussion has been closed.