Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Ah... a few days out of the office and the website stops talking to me and and I'm up to my ears in emails.

Right, OK, looking backwards...

Horo, good suggestion about using the plop render. You know, I rarely think to use it to generate the final image. I just usually let the computer grind it out. Must be OCD. It just doesn't feel right doing it that way.

Mark (LHD), did you notice that I popped up five video tutorials of Horo's yesterday?

IBL-Advanced: Backdrop Sharpness, DOF and Saturation - by Horo Wernli
    Projecting Light - by Horo Wernli
    Tiling Objects - by Horo Wernli
    Tiling Pictures (on a single object) - by Horo Wernli
    Torus - by Horo Wernli

That should keep you out of mischief for a five minutes!

Why yes, yes I did notice them, now I have 5 more tutorials to add to the huge and ever growing list of tutorials found here, at your tutorial site and on your DVD and then now I hear you're working on another DVD? I'll be on my third reincarnation by the time I finish all these. :) Thanks though.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: That is a tempting offer, but then what would I learn? Except, maybe, "give it to David, he can do it." :lol:
    I'm going to go back through the lighting tutorials and try to glean knowledge this time through.

@Dave: Thanks for the advice, I will try it that way and see how things turn out. Forgot about setting render qualities. So much to learn, so much to forget. ;)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: That is a tempting offer, but then what would I learn? Except, maybe, "give it to David, he can do it." :lol:
    I'm going to go back through the lighting tutorials and try to glean knowledge this time through.

@Dave: Thanks for the advice, I will try it that way and see how things turn out. Forgot about setting render qualities. So much to learn, so much to forget. ;)

Well, what I usually do is send people a video along with the file to show how it is set up.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

Just for laughs I set the cloud material to 15 on the quality/speed to get rid of the banding and set the render to 1:1 in document set up, then switched to Premium at 16RPP... with none of the extra Premium options switched on and with the Max Ray Depth set down at 3, the estimation after the first pass was 22 hours, 5 minutes and 13 seconds. :gulp:

Well, quality needs time ;) I actually meant that you do not increase the quality for the clouds, just render premium for the rigging. The few places with the banding in the clouds could be tried at higher quality with only plop rendering those small parts. But as I said, sometimes Premium is faster, but only sometimes.

• edited December 1969

Two images done for a magazine article about the sarcophagus of the Egyptian Pharaoh Menkaure. Mostly done in Bryce but with some elements imported from Hexagon. The object of the article was to clarify the ingenious locking mechanism and my reconstruction of the probable decoration used. The real sarcophagus was lost at sea in the 19th century on its way to the UK so no photographs exist.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Sarcophagus_angle.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Sarcophagus_Lid_Propped.jpg

Sadly since doing this particular illustration my old Mac failed and as I now have a new Mac running Mountain Lion I am unable to use Bryce so cannot access this file of any other of my archaeological illustrations and reconstructions.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Just don’t mess with me...;)

Title: “No Angel”

angell.jpg
    773 x 1375 - 948K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Same scene, different ship, different weather.

Ship-in-Storm.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 182K
    edited December 1969

Actually I reworked the above a bit and don't know if it looks better for not having the rain and extra stuff on it.

Ship-in-Storm-ALT.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 211K
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

think I like the second one better, fwiw. The clouds don't look quite right with the rain to me, for some reason.

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Could go for a hard rock band cover.
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - the first with the rain doesn't look too bad, really. Nevertheless, the second looks better to me. Good work in any case.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Dave I like the 2nd one, but prefer the colour of the clouds in the first one, looks more like we see rain clouds up here on this mountain.

Well we don't see the clouds on this mountain, we see the clouds on the next mountain over, but I am sure you know what I mean.

edited December 1969

Could go for a hard rock band cover.

;)

edited December 1969

Actually I reworked the above a bit and don't know if it looks better for not having the rain and extra stuff on it.

Both are fine renders but personally I like the one with the rain better.

edited December 1969

Thanks chaps. My concern was that the ship in the first one was lighter than the clouds behind it.
    The two rain layers I added altered the background quite significantly. I did try to make the ship darker but then it looked wrong against the ocean it was sitting in, which would have meant making the ocean darker too, then it would have lost a lot if it's detail.

Anyway, I sometimes have a short attention span, so today I've gone back to just setting up some lighting.
    I used the Soto Expressive Skull (free from Share CG) that I had imported from Poser for the guitar knobs.
    The lighting is supplied by one of Horo's Bryce content HDRIs and two radials (one white and one blue.
    The specular on the skulls gives the yellow and green colours.

3-Skulls.jpg
    800 x 800 - 151K
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

@ David Brinnen thanks for the comment on my image mean street .......... the car.......... coming from you is a compliment and i would love to see the gallery up and running shame there is none

edited October 2012

Ah... a few days out of the office and the website stops talking to me and and I'm up to my ears in emails.

Right, OK, looking backwards...

Horo, good suggestion about using the plop render. You know, I rarely think to use it to generate the final image. I just usually let the computer grind it out. Must be OCD. It just doesn't feel right doing it that way.

Mark (LHD), did you notice that I popped up five video tutorials of Horo's yesterday?

IBL-Advanced: Backdrop Sharpness, DOF and Saturation - by Horo Wernli
    Projecting Light - by Horo Wernli
    Tiling Objects - by Horo Wernli
    Tiling Pictures (on a single object) - by Horo Wernli
    Torus - by Horo Wernli

That should keep you out of mischief for a five minutes!

Jamie (GN), the modelling and materialling is really coming along, if you ever fancy it, if you send it over to me I'll have a go at lighting it for you with right fancy lighting.

Odaa, you've tackled a tricky subject and it has come out well. Sea water is very difficult. Here in my neck of the woods, I have the North Sea, once photographed, looks very often like it has been carved from a block of dark wet slate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYfHuKi_-U&list=UUiWOMSuuIoUPGO4S0wAr67g&index=2&feature=plcp not much transparency effect evident, but mostly reflection and specular response.

Dave (TS64), Those clouds look excellent and blend with the sky perfectly. To change the impression of scale, experiment with lowering the fuzzy factor to give better edge definition - the cost of this will be increasing the quality still further to hide banding.

Dan, thank you, I worry sometimes I might be boring you with the endless incremental changes that I feel are improving the scene, but in the end, are not really changing the scene. If I were as enthusiast about modelling as I was about lighting and materials, I'd come up with a better subject.

Canyonmanterry, good work with the mirrors, in some ways, I like the simple but effective scenes better because it allows the artist to really concentrate on fine tuning a limited number of light and material options. Complex scenes overwhelm me and I find myself compromised because I just don't have the time to modify every single element to suit my lighting idea.

Erich (@), For me the light on the walls is the real star of both your images. The patterns in them are fascinating, half brickwork, half organic (vertebrae?). Fantastic!

Tornado, great scene, I think there is still more potential to experiment with the lighting in this scene, the clouds maybe have a little too much ambient response and it looks like the ground and the buildings are slightly aglow. If you want to play with the lighting, I recommend starting from scratch, get to a point where when you hit render you get perfect blackness and build your way up from there. Don't worry too much about the clouds for now I would say, sort the lighting out first and add the clouds as the last thing. If you need them modifying and I've got the time I'll happily look into that.

Silverdali, the reflection of the car looks almost surreal (maybe the clue here was in your name, but it put me in mind of melting clocks) The light, colour and composition are spot on. It belongs in the Bryce gallery for sure, if only there was one...

Ah... finally, I think I have caught up with myself. OK, I will throw in a car render for good measure. The car from TurboSquid, Vicky as per... from DS complete with her limited wardrobe (yes I know, I know, but who has the time to learn everything about every piece of software they own?).

@David Brinnen the image is spanking your perspective is excellent gotta love the girl and the car, i feel its a little light on more contrast maybe ??? your are the expert you know what i mean lol
    Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

a lot of work has gone into your image fab creation Jamahoney
    edited October 2012

@Dave: I personally like both of the ship images. Rain that heavy would obscure something just like that, even if the clouds didn't look like they could produce that much rain. I've even seen rain literally walk down a street. The second reminds me of after a real hard down pour. And the skulls, marvelous. DOF looks real good, as does the lighting.

@Jon-3D: Those two images really are good. I love the detail and how the shadow affects the second one. Best I can really say is, wow. Nice job.

Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

Silvedali...many thanks...it's amazing what Bryce's 'multi-replicate' can do to spitfire wings..heheee :)

Love your 'mean streets' render, and really meant to comment. Very original, though!

Jay

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

Man this thread moves so fast...trying to respond to the comments on my Viking ship image.

Canyonmanterry: thanks for the tip on the bow wave, I will have to keep that in mind.

Horo: Thanks for the tip on the water; the material's existing settings were pretty close to that, but I changed them to what you recommended and didn't see a huge difference (may just be due to the lighting conditions and the fact that the horizon? plane isn't that far under the water.) I will try and post the rerender later today and see others think of it.

David: I'm glad you liked! That was the kind of water I had in mind :)

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

Although I've been around the block a few times, I've just discovered this thread... there are some really great images here, and quite a lot of nice conversation. I'm a little less active here than I was before, simply because I'm a bit more tied up elsewhere... I don't remember if I've posted this image anywhere before, so I thought I'd give it a go. The final size of this piece is about 20"x24." There's less post-work and compositing here than you would think. All the models are my own. The cumulative render time was about 125 hours. (Some of you may think that's a lot of time, but I render everything at the maximum size possible, in order to print larger, higher quality images.) You can also find a version of this image in the latest edition of Photoshop Creative.

MMG5.3z_.jpg
    600 x 764 - 176K
    Post edited by M1chaelFrank on
    edited October 2012

M1chaelFrank. Mmmmm...lovely piece of work...class of its own really. Those are the strangest orchids I've ever seen :)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    M1chaelFrank. Mmmmm...lovely piece of work...class of its own really. Those are the strangest orchids I've ever seen :)

Jay

Thanks very much, glad you like it!

edited December 1969

@M1chael: That is a very unique image. Except, where are the pixies? It's a very find job.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @M1chael: That is a very unique image. Except, where are the pixies? It's a very find job.

Thanks! I believe the pixies are away, thieving acorns from the rabbits.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Are you going to post your dragons over here as well Michael ?

edited December 1969

Although I've been around the block a few times, I've just discovered this thread... there are some really great images here, and quite a lot of nice conversation. I'm a little less active here than I was before, simply because I'm a bit more tied up elsewhere... I don't remember if I've posted this image anywhere before, so I thought I'd give it a go. The final size of this piece is about 20"x24." There's less post-work and compositing here than you would think. All the models are my own. The cumulative render time was about 125 hours. (Some of you may think that's a lot of time, but I render everything at the maximum size possible, in order to print larger, higher quality images.) You can also find a version of this image in the latest edition of Photoshop Creative.

Impressive modeling work and an impressive image to showcase them in.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Are you going to post your dragons over here as well Michael ?

Yes, I think I will...

edited December 1969

Impressive modeling work and an impressive image to showcase them in.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.