Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    Here's the version of the Viking ship image using Horo's suggestions.

I think it looks better though the water has still a bit of a massive look. Maybe it's the camera angle. There are waters that do look rather solid. And then, there is always the question what the artist was after.

edited December 1969

Tyonn said:
    Well, Here's my second render. I changed it up some from my original look. I'm taking a big chance putting it in here. Please go easy on me lol. But if there's anything it needs to make it better, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

Looks better than the fist, me thinks.

edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    Here are my attempts at an underwater scene, I followed David Brinnen's tutorial on caustics, not quite what I envisioned, couldn't get the misty effect, and the godrays the second one is without the godrays .
    (I made a mistake and have another post somewhere but cannot find it to delete it)

Good job on the underwater scenes. Caustics visible on the ground seem a bit large to my eyes. They may look better if the mesh was smaller.

The godrays on the first picture ought to originate at one spot. Underwater scenes are not easiest to get right and you've got very near.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest little seahorse-dragon.

Ah, he is a sweet little Seahorse.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I got a bit muddled up in this Halloween render, or else Zombie Rudolph was making an early appearance.

The green ghosties look sweet.

@David - the first three look great, the fourth also but the red and orange somehow clash - though the idea is great.

@GussNemo - great improvement on the toy cart but then, you got a little help. You know now how it's done.

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Although I've been around the block a few times, I've just discovered this thread... there are some really great images here, and quite a lot of nice conversation. I'm a little less active here than I was before, simply because I'm a bit more tied up elsewhere... I don't remember if I've posted this image anywhere before, so I thought I'd give it a go. The final size of this piece is about 20"x24." There's less post-work and compositing here than you would think. All the models are my own. The cumulative render time was about 125 hours. (Some of you may think that's a lot of time, but I render everything at the maximum size possible, in order to print larger, higher quality images.) You can also find a version of this image in the latest edition of Photoshop Creative.

Great fairy tale image, great colours. There is a real part, nevertheless there is a lot for the beholder's imagination to make up.

The first dragon has a wood-like appearance. There is the fence and the scene fades into the fog at right. The second one leaves a more mystic impression on me, the sky colour underlines this impression.

The seahorse dragon looks amazing.

Thanks very much, Horo, I really appreciate your comments!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Here's my latest little seahorse-dragon.

Ah, he is a sweet little Seahorse.

Thanks very much!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited October 2012

@shaykall: I like both of those renders, though the light rays in the first would be much more softer I think. The near shark looks really good but I wonder if its color shouldn't be a bit more somber. To my eyes, that shark isn't in the water but sets outside the scene. Still, I like the overall look.

@Dave: Those two are really great. I especially like the doll in the first one. Is that something you created or obtained elsewhere? Those letters also turned out well. I've used Sketchup but not for making words.

@Ice: Love those owls. With all in both scenes, they seem right at home. Also like the portal image. With many import from DAZ Studio I may have to give it a try sometime. If for no other reason than to show David Vicky does have other outfits. :lol:

@chohole: I really like the zombie Rudolph. It looks like it has mischief on it mind.

@M1chael: Had I not seen nature programs which dealt with undersea life, I wouldn't have know that was a rendered image. That seahorse is marvelous. Though I did sense an DOF in front of the seahorse. Is it actually there, was it planned? Perhaps I just need to clean my glasses. ;)

David sent me a document entitled, The Science for CG v2, which I starting reading right off. I only made it to page seven because something within those first seven pages related to the pull toy I'm working on. The subject was diffuse brightness and diffuse saturation, and several colored tea pots were displayed as examples. But the two black tea pot examples are the ones that caught my eye because it reminded me of the tires on my pull toy.

So I went back in and tweaked the color for the tires, first adding a bit of red, then green, then blue. Red and green didn't work, each gave the tire a red or greenish tent. But just a touch of blue and the tire suddenly looked like a real tire. The tires have more definition, they're no longer black holes, reference to too much diffuse brightness, and the overall scene looks better. I think.

Edit: Updated image after boo-boo was pointed out.

Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_24_m5_1.png
    1198 x 700 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

Guss, thanks for the nice comment.
    @M1chael: Had I not seen nature programs which dealt with undersea life, I wouldn’t have know that was a rendered image. That seahorse is marvelous. Though I did sense an DOF in front of the seahorse. Is it actually there, was it planned? Perhaps I just need to clean my glasses.

Regarding depth of field: A camera lens with a long focal length (or a telephoto) will likely blur both the background and the foreground at the same time, especially with a wide aperture setting. I'm keeping this idea in mind when rendering, so as to approximate a proper lens effect. In my photography days I exclusively used 8x10 view cameras, and was able to achieve a multitude of effects my merely manipulating the focus, and the front and back planes. I find these effects "translating" easily into my 3D work.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    Here are my attempts at an underwater scene, I followed David Brinnen's tutorial on caustics, not quite what I envisioned, couldn't get the misty effect, and the godrays the second one is without the godrays .
    (I made a mistake and have another post somewhere but cannot find it to delete it)

I like the one without the Godrays because it looks more realistic. At depths deep enough to swallow that ship I doubt Godrays would penetrate that far. Although speaking of that ship and reality, sunken ships rarely still have sails that are fully intact and looking like they're still filled with wind.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @shaykall: I like both of those renders, though the light rays in the first would be much more softer I think. The near shark looks really good but I wonder if its color shouldn't be a bit more somber. To my eyes, that shark isn't in the water but sets outside the scene. Still, I like the overall look.

@Dave: Those two are really great. I especially like the doll in the first one. Is that something you created or obtained elsewhere? Those letters also turned out well. I've used Sketchup but not for making words.

@Ice: Love those owls. With all in both scenes, they seem right at home. Also like the portal image. With many import from DAZ Studio I may have to give it a try sometime. If for no other reason than to show David Vicky does have other outfits. :lol:

@chohole: I really like the zombie Rudolph. It looks like it has mischief on it mind.

@M1chael: Had I not seen nature programs which dealt with undersea life, I wouldn't have know that was a rendered image. That seahorse is marvelous. Though I did sense an DOF in front of the seahorse. Is it actually there, was it planned? Perhaps I just need to clean my glasses. ;)

David sent me a document entitled, The Science for CG v2, which I starting reading right off. I only made it to page seven because something within those first seven pages related to the pull toy I'm working on. The subject was diffuse brightness and diffuse saturation, and several colored tea pots were displayed as examples. But the two black tea pot examples are the ones that caught my eye because it reminded me of the tires on my pull toy.

So I went back in and tweaked the color for the tires, first adding a bit of red, then green, then blue. Red and green didn't work, each gave the tire a red or greenish tent. But just a touch of blue and the tire suddenly looked like a real tire. The tires have more definition, they're no longer black holes, reference to too much diffuse brightness, and the overall scene looks better. I think.

Well whatever you did it fixed the one problem I had with one of your earlier versions. Now the cart looks about as real as the contents. :)

edited December 1969

@M1chael: Ah, I see now. I do like the affects that consideration produces.

@Mark: I actually did a couple of things, after reading the first seven pages of the document David sent me. The first thing I did was to adjust the black color for the tires. As I said in my last post, a section in that document talked about diffuse brightness. And if it was set too high the object became a black hole, which means the object becomes unrecognizable. They showed another example where the diffuse brightness was turned down, which then allowed the object to be discernible again.

If you compare the tires of the earlier images with my latest image you'll see that by setting the black color more towards blue those tire now pop. I was still having an issue with the tire rims, and tweaked those a bit more until I felt they fit the tires better. Of course once I tweaked the rims, I had to tweak the tires. But I think they look a lot better all around. Oh, and one of the rattles wasn't resting against one of the blocks, so I rotated it a bit.

BTW, what was the issue you had with one of my earlier images? I'm curious.

• Alpha01Alpha01 Posts: 160
    edited October 2012

Thought I would add a pic I have done using Bryce.
    I have been working on the HDRI imaging through the skybox to try and get a nice background.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/268/a/8/going_dark_1_by_adepenguin-d5fuc21.jpg

Post edited by Alpha01 on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited October 2012

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Those two are really great.
    Thanks. :)

GussNemo said:
    I especially like the doll in the first one. Is that something you created or obtained elsewhere?

It's a wonderful (and free) Poser model, can be downloaded here: Samedi Doll

I've used Sketchup but not for making words.
    SketchUp comes in handy for all sorts of things, not least the immense amount (millions) of free models, most of which can be transferred easily into Bryce without much tweaking once they are there.

Those tyres look a lot better now you've got some detail back into them... well done.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    The unhappy Halloween is great. Just the lantern looks flat, but you've discovered that already. The second one does look better but I would expect the pumpkin to be hollow. Perhaps it is, but it is not obvious.

Yes the lantern has been (and continues to be) a problem.
    It must just be a case of getting the balance if internal and external lights set to the right balance.

The Pumpkin is hollow (the original model I used was just a pumpkin, I cut the face out of it using negative shapes.
    I then placed a radial light inside it (like you would with a real pumpkin lantern).
    The result was that it cast the nice spooky shaped light you see in front of it, but the exterior of the pumpkin was way too dark.
    So I set it's material transparency to 1.5 just so the skin would glow a bit, this has almost the same effect as setting the ambient up and robbed the outer skin of a lot of it's detail, so I then had to place another light on the outside to bring the highlights of it's skin detail in.
    Finally I added another light inside set to only include the floor plane so it would light the floor surrounding it a bit more.

It's still not right and I gave up on it yesterday as I felt everything I did to it wasn't getting any closer and wondered if maybe the lighting set up was too complicated. Thinking I may go and re watch David's Red Hot Poker tutorial again as that's really a similar effect to the one I'm trying to achieve.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited October 2012

GussNemo said:

Dwsel sent me a link to this document found in this thead http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=650761 - 'Science of CG' . It makes for very interesting reading. Well worth devoting a little bit of your time to while you render something in the background I reckon.

Ah... I can see I've fallen behind again, nice to see this thread so active, but also disconcerting when I think of what I might be missing as the forum is good at burring interesting things.

Rashad, thank you for your kind remarks. Yes it is true also for Light Domes and 3D Fills. Though, I am embarrassed to report, I've still yet to get around to testing those properly. I got to the point of radial lights - what I thought would be a simple project - has turned into an almost bottomless pit. The more I discover, the more I come to understand how little I really know.

Shaykall, the godrays I think should all point to a single point in space, as things stand they seem a bit higgledy-piggledy. The caustics look good, but I think the pattern itself is covering too much area, it needs to be scaled down so it gives a better impression of scale perhaps?

IceScribe, if you have a computer powerful enough to take the strain, you might experiment with switching on True Ambience (and TA scatter correction) in the premium effects and see what it can do for your low level lighting environments. I can't make any promises that it will offer an easy solution, but your indoor render in particular would tempt me into testing this option.

Dave, nice work, I wasn't sure the Collada importer was working properly. I will have to have a look at this!

Pam, do your really have a render for every occasion? I begin to suspect so...

Michael, your seahorse scene looks wonderful. The material on the seahorse is stealing the scene. It reminds me almost of one of the aliens out of the Abyss, with that electric blue. Everything sits nicely in frame and the level of complexity and mixture of DOF nicely balanced one another. On my monitor, it looks almost as if the nose of the creature is sticking half an inch out of the screen. Most disconcertingly! Do seahorses bite?

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Dave, nice work, I wasn't sure the Collada importer was working properly. I will have to have a look at this!

Well it certainly is on the Mac, more complex models may need more tweaking (see the lifeboat render below which took a long time to get even to this point after importing from SketchUp)... but simple 3D text works 100% fine.
    RNLI-Lifeboat2.jpg
    700 x 420 - 166K
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Well, lately I have been somewhat distracted and feeling particularly uninspired so I thought I would just play around with some bryce "doodles" as it were -- abstracts. I find at times they are good for quick and easy renders and they do get things flowing a bit easier for me at least. These two were done with David's technique Abstract Voids and turned out quite nicely.

They use TIR with rays set to 7 and one has the material set to fuzzy also, 16:9 aspect ratio at 1280x720 "720p" resolution suitable for desktop backgrounds.

voidtest1-fuzzy.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    voidtest1.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

The great thing about abstracts is that there are so many different ways to get interesting effects! Here are some others I did yesterday using other techniques. All are extremely simple scenes, the darker/greenish tinted one uses 3 spheres nested inside each other with a couple custom materials on all of them, the blue is the classic "mirror balls" technique though I did enable TIR at 6 rays on it, and the last is just an extreme closeup of a single sphere with a custom texture which gets its color from the sky settings.

I hope you enjoy!

TatumAbstract.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    RevlectiveAbstract1.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    AbstractVortex.png
    1280 x 720 - 950K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Not posted anything for a while been a bit busy, also sorry to say I have not commented on any members images either.
    There are some amazing renders, they seem to get better and better.
    just thought I'd post my latest attempt.
    Carpenters chisels and wooden mallet. I seem to be stuck in still life mode at the minute.
    Handles are made of 8 negative cylinders for the grooves, 1 positive cylinder for the main body, 1 negative torus for the pinched part of the main cylinder and 4 neutral torus's for the rings at the pinched part, 1 cone and 2 more torus's for the metal ring.
    Wood texture is the same for the mallet and the floor. Negative cylinders were used for the dents in the wood on a positive mallet head.
    Text from Elefont.
    The text on the handles is not actually sitting on the bottom of the yellow grooves but is told to cast no shadows so it looks like it is.

Chisels.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 598K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

BTW, what was the issue you had with one of my earlier images? I'm curious.

Back when you first shared the results of that tutorial I made the comment that it looked good and that the only thing wrong was the toys in the cart looked more real then the cart itself. (the cart had a kind of toonish quality to it) Now because of your adjustments they look equally real.

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    just thought I'd post my latest attempt.

Very nice... I can smell fresh cut wood. :)
    edited December 1969

@GreyMouser: Those abstracts are really good. I love the dynamics of the first two. So much is going on it makes the eye look everywhere.

@Dave: Thanks for the link. That's another area I'd like to learn some day. Baby steps, I keep telling myself that. I'm more pleased with those tires now, thanks to David, than at first. A bit of blue worked wonders.

@Stuart: That image is so life like I feel as though I could pick up those tools and start using them. The only question I had was which part of that work bench did the carpenter use to make that mallet? :lol:

@Mark: Actually, David made the change that lit up that pull toy. And provided me information which let me give those tires a better look. Had I not started reading that document David sent I wouldn't have know the mistake I had made. Which is also the same mistake I made with the wagon and hub colors. Those three colors were overdriven, so they made things look wrong. If you haven't seen that document, go to that link David provided and download it. I've got to get back to reading it, just don't know when.

I'm in the process of going through some textures for a toy ball I'll be placing in the background, what kid doesn't have a toy ball somewhere? Had a learning lessing doing that as well, again, thanks to David and this tutorial by Horo. Most of it went over my head, but it helped a bit to understand why one texture I made wasn't displaying properly. Now if I can only remember that little fact.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - Thanks gussnemo, It was one of the legs, the bench is now a tripod. :)

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

This thread grows quickly. Really great renders around.

I played a bit around with abstract backgrounds. All bryce 7.1 Pro except the writing, that's photoshop and the woman of course (that's DAZ)

jeanne_gunn3.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 100K
  • Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    Got the Ken Gilliland Pelicans loaded and ready to go. Here is my first effort testing out sending to Bryce (from DAZ3) and then using Duplicate and tilting the object pelicans slightly. I like the way they turned out. Can't get too much "closer" for the whole bird. It shows the construction a bit more obviously. Cropped but otherwise as renedered.

Really nice render! Looks like a good candidate for my annual contest

edited December 1969

Someone on another site I visit asked if background in a Bryce image can be rendered transparent. Kind of hard to shrug ones shoulders online, but I did. Not knowing whether or not it could I went into the MatLab and beginning playing around. I never got a transparent background but I did get this rather interesting render. Looks like I've something else to experiment on.

Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_24_m6.png
    1280 x 748 - 329K
    edited October 2012

Well it certainly is on the Mac, more complex models may need more tweaking (see the lifeboat render below which took a long time to get even to this point after importing from SketchUp)... but simple 3D text works 100% fine.

Collada importer works also in the PC. The train http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=5097
    and http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=4345 is from the Google Warehouse.

The boats look quite dramatic in the rough sea. The rain came out not bad,it is always difficult to get the brightness right. By the way, photographing rain is also not easy.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Well, lately I have been somewhat distracted and feeling particularly uninspired so I thought I would just play around with some bryce "doodles" as it were -- abstracts. I find at times they are good for quick and easy renders and they do get things flowing a bit easier for me at least. These two were done with David's technique Abstract Voids and turned out quite nicely.

They use TIR with rays set to 7 and one has the material set to fuzzy also, 16:9 aspect ratio at 1280x720 "720p" resolution suitable for desktop backgrounds.

The abstracts look great.

The great thing about abstracts is that there are so many different ways to get interesting effects! Here are some others I did yesterday using other techniques. All are extremely simple scenes, the darker/greenish tinted one uses 3 spheres nested inside each other with a couple custom materials on all of them, the blue is the classic "mirror balls" technique though I did enable TIR at 6 rays on it, and the last is just an extreme closeup of a single sphere with a custom texture which gets its color from the sky settings.

I hope you enjoy!

There is no limit to the possibilities for abstracts in Bryce. It is great fun to make and behold them. The third one in the second set is my favorite.

edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - tools look really great. With those tools, working with wood will be a pleasure.

This discussion has been closed.