Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I apologise in advance for making such a mundane contribution to this thread, but this is indeed what I've been rendering since yesterday. This bit took about four hours to render. Uses HDRI derived TA optimised gel lights and standard Bryce sun. The idea was to simulate the kind of lighting that I see in the bathroom when the sun gets around to the West.

bathroom_sink6v5bb2_remake3_detail.jpg
    750 x 750 - 216K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

I,m working on making a different scene but this came as a result of messing around with text and mats. I thought it look quite nice. trying to follow some of the tuts. this bryce program is quite fun. Thanks terry. P.S. like the car!

Those mirror renders are always interesting to look at.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo - great, you could make it work, the hole for the rope.

edited December 1969

I apologise in advance for making such a mundane contribution to this thread, but this is indeed what I've been rendering since yesterday. This bit took about four hours to render. Uses HDRI derived TA optimised gel lights and standard Bryce sun. The idea was to simulate the kind of lighting that I see in the bathroom when the sun gets around to the West.

Mundane? Lighting is excellent. I'm fascinated by the reflections on the faucet. The red in the reflection and the red on the wall at left, looks awesome.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: I don't think anything you contribute is mundane, nor could it be. At least to me, and perhaps a few others, everything you contribute is a lesson. Of which I greatly appreciate.

@Canyon: That image is really spectacular. Mind sharing how you did it? This inquiring mind would like to know.

Here are a couple more images of the pull toy I made. One shows the actual hole cut into the end of the wagon, which I think came out quite nice. The other is with a sky inserted and a radial light. This one I though ended up particularly nice.

Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_19.png
    1280 x 748 - 415K
    Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_23.png
    1280 x 748 - 788K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Funny how you can work on a scene for many hours and not notice something that you should have. GussNemo was right on the money about the walkway in the image I posted a few pages back. Going to go back and see if I can fix that (thanks Guss!).

Now for a little catch up...

Thanks for the comments on my scene, tis appreciated!

Dave - that Gretsch turned out really well. Hard to tell it's a rendered image. I certainly feel your pain on the image editor bugs, ack!
    Excellent cloud work in your other image. I just save the material, I haven't much luck with clouds saved as objects then used in other scenes.

Tornado - great seaside images . I also like the second image better, not too cottony at all .
    The transparency in Gimp may be the alpha channel Bryce uses to keep track of where Bryce is in the render process. I have the same problem with the Mac's Preview app.

Silverdali - your car image is very good and I like it a lot. Although I'd up the haze a bit to match the "God rays" from the headlights.

Atlantis - Love the Giger pumpkin. Interesting concept.

Guss - your cart is turning out very nice.

And David - your bathroom scene keeps getting better and better!

Well, back to trying to damage some primitives for Rendo's "Damage" challenge, which is indeed quite challenging.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Mark: That sure is tempting, but there are other things that need the price of that package. Thanks for the arrow.

No problem, I mainly just mentioned it because I remember being impressed with how well it covered boolean modelling in a way that beginners can understand but without being terribly boring to people who are a little more experienced.

edited September 2012

BTW and FWIW I've been having some troubles posting replies. When I click submit post rather then returning to the thread like normal it goes to a page showing a blank post as if my reply got lost and it wanted me to type a reply out again. If I click the back button I get back to my unsubmitted post and everything I typed is still there. The only way I've been able to get posts to actually post is to click preview post first and then click submit post.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I have had that a time or 2. But I found using the back button and simply hitting submit post again worked for me.

edited December 1969

@Dan: Thanks. I had something pointed out to me about one of the baby rattles in the wagon that I didn't see. But I like the critique, it's the only way to improve. 'Course, at 2 or 3 in the morning it's kind of hard to see anyway.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

@ David; Thanks for that about the clouds.
    I've just saved the slab into the library though... It does help to have a good base to use even if it needs tweaking in each scene.
    In the past I have recycled both scenery and skies by opening the relevant saved document and pasting in new components.

Anyway, I'm still playing with the same base cloud material, I thought I'd get my ship back out for this one.

Ship-to-Shore-Big.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 201K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Here are a couple more images of the pull toy I made. One shows the actual hole cut into the end of the wagon, which I think came out quite nice. The other is with a sky inserted and a radial light. This one I though ended up particularly nice.

Looking better every time.
    Just a few small things; Where the rope comes out of the hole, it would really fall to the floor straight away instead of retaining it's horizontal direction.
    The only other thing I can see is to do with lighting or at least in the way the materials react to the lighting. I think you could improve the render slightly by reducing the cart's material ambience* to 0 (you may then find you need to do the same with the contents too). And if you haven't already, set the sun's shadows to 100. This will just make the inside and underside of the cart darker giving a better sense of depth between the lighter and shaded parts.

* Why the heck is Firefox telling me that this is spelled wrong?

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

Playing with Jed's awesome freebie ships. One has been postworked with some of Ron Deviney's stuff, give at a bit of a wake.

VikingShipNoncommercialPostworked.png
    1280 x 960 - 2M
    VikingShipNoncommercial.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 135K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Looking better every time.
    Just a few small things; Where the rope comes out of the hole, it would really fall to the floor straight away instead of retaining it's horizontal direction.
    The only other thing I can see is to do with lighting or at least in the way the materials react to the lighting. I think you could improve the render slightly by reducing the cart's material ambience* to 0 (you may then find you need to do the same with the contents too). And if you haven't already, set the sun's shadows to 100. This will just make the inside and underside of the cart darker giving a better sense of depth between the lighter and shaded parts.

* Why the heck is Firefox telling me that this is spelled wrong?

@Dave: I really like that render. It has a very good mood.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did realize the rope should fall directly downward after coming out of the hole, just another thing to play with. I'm not totally satisfied with the shape of the rope and am going to redo it so it lays on the ground more to the side so the image isn't so long. This way I get to play with Hexagon again. :-)

Light, yeah, I sort of like how that last image turned out, but something isn't quite right. I did have the shadows set to 100 at one point but it made the right wheel seem as though it extended under the wagon, or was attached to something underneath.

They also lacked definition. They looked more like part of the wagon side than independent items. I'll upload an image to show you.

Except for the rattles, well maybe the red one, I agree light reaction isn't good. I tried to make the wheel rims metal, which fell flat, and the blocks I tried for a plastic affect. Flat again. Talking about all this, I did add the items to the Object file so I can play with each separately. Once I get the look I want I can then reassemble the wagon.

Here's an image of just the wagon. Notice how the near wheels appear to be attached to something under the wagon. And lack definition.

@Odaa: Those two images almost make me sea sick. The swells look great. The second image has what appears a bow wave, yes? If that wave had just been generated by the bow, would it be as spread out as in the image? Would it be as pronounced along the entire ship? Just something that came to mind.

Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_8.png
    1280 x 748 - 653K
    edited December 1969

I've just saved the slab into the library though... It does help to have a good base to use even if it needs tweaking in each scene.
    In the past I have recycled both scenery and skies by opening the relevant saved document and pasting in new components.

Anyway, I'm still playing with the same base cloud material, I thought I'd get my ship back out for this one.

Terrible job there, too real looking :)

edited December 1969

Great render. There is slight banding on the clouds. Really not much but it could be remedied by increasing quality a bit. It often works to just plop render those parts.

edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    Playing with Jed's awesome freebie ships. One has been postworked with some of Ron Deviney's stuff, give at a bit of a wake.

The ship looks great. The second one has nice foam around the boat. The water, however, doesn't look like liquid, rather massive. Water is transparent. Set transparency high, perhaps 99.5% and set Refraction, usually to 133 for water, but may have to be reduced a bit.

edited December 1969

Ah... a few days out of the office and the website stops talking to me and and I'm up to my ears in emails.

Right, OK, looking backwards...

Horo, good suggestion about using the plop render. You know, I rarely think to use it to generate the final image. I just usually let the computer grind it out. Must be OCD. It just doesn't feel right doing it that way.

Mark (LHD), did you notice that I popped up five video tutorials of Horo's yesterday?

IBL-Advanced: Backdrop Sharpness, DOF and Saturation - by Horo Wernli
    Projecting Light - by Horo Wernli
    Tiling Objects - by Horo Wernli
    Tiling Pictures (on a single object) - by Horo Wernli
    Torus - by Horo Wernli

That should keep you out of mischief for a five minutes!

Jamie (GN), the modelling and materialling is really coming along, if you ever fancy it, if you send it over to me I'll have a go at lighting it for you with right fancy lighting.

Odaa, you've tackled a tricky subject and it has come out well. Sea water is very difficult. Here in my neck of the woods, I have the North Sea, once photographed, looks very often like it has been carved from a block of dark wet slate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYfHuKi_-U&list=UUiWOMSuuIoUPGO4S0wAr67g&index=2&feature=plcp not much transparency effect evident, but mostly reflection and specular response.

Dave (TS64), Those clouds look excellent and blend with the sky perfectly. To change the impression of scale, experiment with lowering the fuzzy factor to give better edge definition - the cost of this will be increasing the quality still further to hide banding.

Dan, thank you, I worry sometimes I might be boring you with the endless incremental changes that I feel are improving the scene, but in the end, are not really changing the scene. If I were as enthusiast about modelling as I was about lighting and materials, I'd come up with a better subject.

Canyonmanterry, good work with the mirrors, in some ways, I like the simple but effective scenes better because it allows the artist to really concentrate on fine tuning a limited number of light and material options. Complex scenes overwhelm me and I find myself compromised because I just don't have the time to modify every single element to suit my lighting idea.

Erich (@), For me the light on the walls is the real star of both your images. The patterns in them are fascinating, half brickwork, half organic (vertebrae?). Fantastic!

Tornado, great scene, I think there is still more potential to experiment with the lighting in this scene, the clouds maybe have a little too much ambient response and it looks like the ground and the buildings are slightly aglow. If you want to play with the lighting, I recommend starting from scratch, get to a point where when you hit render you get perfect blackness and build your way up from there. Don't worry too much about the clouds for now I would say, sort the lighting out first and add the clouds as the last thing. If you need them modifying and I've got the time I'll happily look into that.

Silverdali, the reflection of the car looks almost surreal (maybe the clue here was in your name, but it put me in mind of melting clocks) The light, colour and composition are spot on. It belongs in the Bryce gallery for sure, if only there was one...

Ah... finally, I think I have caught up with myself. OK, I will throw in a car render for good measure. The car from TurboSquid, Vicky as per... from DS complete with her limited wardrobe (yes I know, I know, but who has the time to learn everything about every piece of software they own?).

Fels_extended_rtr_rrp64_v10_withTA.jpg
    1133 x 850 - 336K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

nope still fuzzy

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    love the boat and the water reflection its a fab creation
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

So realistic David love your work
    edited December 1969

Difficult to bring the car here, looks very nice. though.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Great render. There is slight banding on the clouds. Really not much but it could be remedied by increasing quality a bit. It often works to just plop render those parts.

Thanks Horo. :)

Yes, I did notice the slight banding. The clouds are set to 0 in the quality/speed and the render was still estimating at just under 3 hours (not including AA pass) after the first pass so I let it go. Obviously if the render had been for a client or if I'd have been going out for the day, I'd have increased the quality.
    It only needed to go up to 15 to totally get rid of the banding, but the increased render time added another hour.

This render was further complicated by the fineness of the ship's rigging which didn't show up properly (was a bit jagged) when rendering at 'Regular'setting (Fine or superfine were out of the question because of render times) meaning that I had to render it at 1:2 (twice as big) in the document set up then reduce it back down in Photoshop to allow the finer parts of the rigging to show better).

Maybe I'll write to the EU Agricultural Committee and see if there are any subsidies available to start my own render farm. :lol:

PS: Will someone fix this forum software!

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Light, yeah, I sort of like how that last image turned out, but something isn't quite right. I did have the shadows set to 100 at one point but it made the right wheel seem as though it extended under the wagon, or was attached to something underneath.

One way to get around this would be to soften the shadows.
    In the Sky Lab under the Sun & Moon tab, you can set the sun.moon shadows to 100 and then directly underneath that, you can set how soft the shadows are. A bit if experimentation will be required, so start at about 10 and do a test render, then increase until the shadows are soft enough to be able to see a difference between the hard edge of the wheel and the soft edge of the shadow.
    You'll also need to set your render options to Premium when you render it and make sure that 'Soft Shadows' are enabled by clicking on that button.

Another way would be to use True Ambience but that may be more complicated because the scene and all the materials and lights would have to be set specifically to utilise the TA to it's best. :)

edited December 1969

Better? :lol:

Ship-to-Shore-Basic.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 128K
    edited December 1969

Look Dave - it's not on - if you are just going to start posting photographs in the forum and claiming they are renders... you are not fooling anyone.

edited December 1969

Dave (TS64), Those clouds look excellent and blend with the sky perfectly. To change the impression of scale, experiment with lowering the fuzzy factor to give better edge definition - the cost of this will be increasing the quality still further to hide banding.

Thanks David.
    See my reply to Horo RE render times. :)
    But all this is good information to have.
    My problem in the past has been that when tweaking cloud materials, I tweak several bits (frequency in the DTE and base density in the Mat Lab instead of only adjusting one thing at a time to see the results. So a lesson for anyone just starting out with materials is to only alter one parameter at a time and see how your material is affected.
    And now I have a better understanding of the DTE and various properties of the volumetric material, I will certainly revisit your excellent creating volumetric clouds tutorial as at the time, even though I got a good(ish) result, I didn't really understand what I was doing, more just copying your instructions... I also need to understand better that last part in the tutorial about making the underside of the cloud have definition, you'd completely lost me by that point... bamboozled I was. :lol:
    edited December 1969

This render was further complicated by the fineness of the ship's rigging which didn't show up properly (was a bit jagged) when rendering at 'Regular'setting (Fine or superfine were out of the question because of render times) meaning that I had to render it at 1:2 (twice as big) in the document set up then reduce it back down in Photoshop to allow the finer parts of the rigging to show better).

The rigging, yes, fine lines that are neither horizontal nor vertical can be a bit of a problem. Going Premium with 16 or 36 rpp may already remedy it. Premium is not necessarily longer because the AA-ing is included and the estimation close, while regular only shows the render time but not the AA-ing - which can be 10 times longer if you use IBL and transparency.

edited December 1969

Much, but remember nobody likes a smartass render. :)

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    The rigging, yes, fine lines that are neither horizontal nor vertical can be a bit of a problem. Going Premium with 16 or 36 rpp may already remedy it. Premium is not necessarily longer because the AA-ing is included and the estimation close, while regular only shows the render time but not the AA-ing - which can be 10 times longer if you use IBL and transparency.

Just for laughs I set the cloud material to 15 on the quality/speed to get rid of the banding and set the render to 1:1 in document set up, then switched to Premium at 16RPP... with none of the extra Premium options switched on and with the Max Ray Depth set down at 3, the estimation after the first pass was 22 hours, 5 minutes and 13 seconds. :gulp:
This discussion has been closed.