Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Thanks. I realized a while ago I've some technical things to take care of, like grouping things together. I hope I'm able to construct what I have in mind for this model. It will be another learning experience.

I really like that render, especially how the haze gives it the right mood and binds everything together. Very nice job.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks.

I'm just looking at the cloudscape again (even though it's 5am here and I should be sleeping). I've remodeled the landscape to give it a better sense of how big the sky is. Hope it works, it can render out while I sleep. :)

Yes, I'm crap at organising components into groups, when I decide that the guitar is finished, I have to go through it all and group parts and rename many of the mesh parts from the original model because they imported in with non descriptive names.

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Mean Streets

mean_streets.jpg
    1600 x 1050 - 931K
  • tornadotornado Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

GussNemo, LordHardDriven, thanks for the advice but I've already watched David Brinnen's tutorials about volumetric clouds. Actually, I've watched 2. I haven't yet watched the one about modifying existing clouds, I will watch it when I have some time.

TheSavage, I will try lifting the clouds, that's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion !

By the way, I really don't mind receiving comments and suggestions about my image, so thanks everyone and don't hesitate telling me if something else bothers you.

Dilverdali, I love this render ! I find the lights particularly good...

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - I like how you managed the rope with the spheres at the ends. Very neat idea. No, you didn't do too bad, actually, you did quite well.

@TheSavage64 - Cloiuds look really good. The whole image is very nicely done. I have never tried to save a slab in the Objects Library. I usually get the slab over from a successful render and then tweak it for the new one. Saving in the Material Library sounds good as well.

@silverdali - Excellent camera setting. The owner of the car ought to have the headlights adjusted, they go up instead of down. But this is a minor quibble. Very impressive render.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

tornado said:
    GussNemo, LordHardDriven, thanks for the advice but I've already watched David Brinnen's tutorials about volumetric clouds. Actually, I've watched 2. I haven't yet watched the one about modifying existing clouds, I will watch it when I have some time.

TheSavage, I will try lifting the clouds, that's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion !

By the way, I really don't mind receiving comments and suggestions about my image, so thanks everyone and don't hesitate telling me if something else bothers you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QrZoi00D0&feature=share&list=UUSDQPl5q0QoWh0fIj9dXMpg

• AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited December 1969

Mean Streets

Very nice render

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Mean Streets

love the effect

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2012

Your model is looking good Guss... well done. :)

I've been taking a break from guitar modelling and decided to get some virtual fresh air in the virtual outdoors.
    I've recycled one of my landscapes because tonight I've managed to create what I think is, to date my best volumetric clouds.

Now here's a question for David; If I want to save these clouds into my library, am I best saving just the material in the materials library, or the slab in the object library? Are there advantages to either way?

Ah... goodness, the forums are marching on quick and for whatever fickle reason the website is only prepared to notify me when it feels like it. So... if I miss (have missed) any comments directed at me, please feel free to email me and ask me again. Otherwise the forum buries things faster than I can find them. So...

To the question of how to store clouds. This is not easy, because the appearance of a cloud is dependant on not just the material, but often the slab to which it is applied and where that slab happens to be in the sky. This means that if you save the material alone, you loose all the information about the slab and even if you save the slab, the you loose the position of the slab.

The strategy I use is to save the slab in an empty scene. Then if you want that cloud. Load the cloud scene and copy the slab. Then open your scene that you want to bring this cloud into. And paste it in. That way you will have the cloud and the slab and the position of the slab all together.

Edit. Oh yes and the cloud look good! If you want any advice or help with cloud optimisation, that is one of my favourite kind of things, so feel free to bother me.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah, the forum does seem to have a mind of it's own about notifications. Seems if you don't visit a thread for a certain amount of time it decides not to send any notifications, but we have not yet worked out at what point it does this. :roll:

• tornadotornado Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Well, I rendered my image again, after lifting the clouds, so that they don't interfere with the houses anymore. Maybe they still look a bit like cotton, though ?

bord_de_mer_modifie.png
    1434 x 695 - 1M
    edited December 1969

tornado said:
    Well, I rendered my image again, after lifting the clouds, so that they don't interfere with the houses anymore. Maybe they still look a bit like cotton, though ?

Not that much as cotton. Your scene got more dramatic.
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    I tried to post this a bit earlier but my link to DAZ went into the twilight zone.

I haven't worked often with volumetric clouds. The time I did they looked like marshmallows fresh out of the microwave. So the best advice I give someone is to point them to a tutorial that might help. And it goes for a lot of other things. I can find the information, just not do it. Yet.

I have the main model of my pull toy completed, at least as far as I think it needs to go. The most challenging for me was making a pull rope that look good and fit the model. One came with the lesson file, but it didn't fit the wagon I constructed. That pull rope was meant to go through the end of the wagon, and to make it look right, a cut cylinder would have been needed to make the hole the rope went through. I didn't know how two cut objects would react together, so I opted for what you see in the image.

The blocks were made with cubes and cut spheres. Rattles are spheres for the top, cylinders for the shaft, and toruses for the handle. The wheels are a squashed cylinders for the hub, toruses for the tires and distorted spheres for the hubs. The rope attachment is a distorted torus that was cut with a sphere.

This is the first model I've made, and I don't think it looks too bad. And thanks to Terry's help, the striped blocks look much better.

Not bad the only problem is the items in the cart, to me anyway, look more real then the cart.

edited December 1969

tornado said:

Looks good, not that the previous one didn't but I wasn't sure if that was your intention with the clouds. It's strange, we can become so absorbed in certain aspects of a scene we create that we can entirely miss other aspects that may be undesirable but go unnoticed by us.

edited December 1969

It's strange, we can become so absorbed in certain aspects of a scene we create that we can entirely miss other aspects that may be undesirable but go unnoticed by us.

Very true, I can tell.

edited December 1969

@silverdali: Love the render.

@Horo: Thanks. I'd like a bit more texture on them but I can play around with that idea at some point in time.

A general question to anyone: The original rope for the pull toy was similar to the one in my image, but only had the one ball at the end. The lesson showed placing the other end onto the end of the wagon, but nothing about how it should look afterwards. If you've ever drilled a hole through something for the purpose of running something through that hole, you know if the item run through the hole is small enough you still see that a hole is present in the material you drilled. Still with me?

Now, the inside of the wagon was made using a cutting cube, which is then grouped with the outside cube. Boolean, got to love it. Since the rope was to appear going through the end of the wagon, a hole would need to be cut with a cutting cylinder in order for the appearance to seem real. But the outside cube was already grouped with the inside cutting cube. How would putting another cutting object onto a grouped cut object affect the already cut object?

@tornado: The changes you made give the image a much different look. Better in my opinion. I now see that the light I had questioned is coming from the buildings in front of the wharf. The entire mood in that image has now change, and for the better. Very nice job.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@Horo: Thanks. I'd like a bit more texture on them but I can play around with that idea at some point in time.

A general question to anyone: The original rope for the pull toy was similar to the one in my image, but only had the one ball at the end. The lesson showed placing the other end onto the end of the wagon, but nothing about how it should look afterwards. If you've ever drilled a hole through something for the purpose of running something through that hole, you know if the item run through the hole is small enough you still see that a hole is present in the material you drilled. Still with me?

Now, the inside of the wagon was made using a cutting cube, which is then grouped with the outside cube. Boolean, got to love it. Since the rope was to appear going through the end of the wagon, a hole would need to be cut with a cutting cylinder in order for the appearance to seem real. But the outside cube was already grouped with the inside cutting cube. How would putting another cutting object onto a grouped cut object affect the already cut object?

@tornado: The changes you made give the image a much different look. Better in my opinion. I now see that the light I had questioned is coming from the buildings in front of the wharf. The entire mood in that image has now change, and for the better. Very nice job.

This doesn't really answer your question but I wanted to suggest you consider trying this item. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-masters-series-great-hall I only mention it because after having followed it once I felt it taught me alot about boolean modeling. Alas it was long enough ago that I forgot most of what I learned but that's neither here nor there.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo - as I've mentioned earlier, I'm a weak modeler. You have two options to drill that hole. (1) ungroup, add a negative cylinder that cuts the hole, then group all together again. (2) Make the existing group positive, add a negative cylinder for the hole, then group cylinder with group.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @GussNemo - as I've mentioned earlier, I'm a weak modeler. You have two options to drill that hole. (1) ungroup, add a negative cylinder that cuts the hole, then group all together again. (2) Make the existing group positive, add a negative cylinder for the hole, then group cylinder with group.

@Horo: The wagon outside is positive. The wagon inside is negative. Group and the cut is made. So I can take that wagon group and make the entire thing positive and group a negative cylinder with it? And I can select just the wagon parts with Ctrl and left clicking so the other objects aren't selected. I can sure try it and see what happens. I do know how to use Ctrl-Z. Thanks Horo.

@Mark: That sure is tempting, but there are other things that need the price of that package. Thanks for the arrow.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @GussNemo - I like how you managed the rope with the spheres at the ends. Very neat idea. No, you didn't do too bad, actually, you did quite well.

@TheSavage64 - Cloiuds look really good. The whole image is very nicely done. I have never tried to save a slab in the Objects Library. I usually get the slab over from a successful render and then tweak it for the new one. Saving in the Material Library sounds good as well.

@silverdali - Excellent camera setting. The owner of the car ought to have the headlights adjusted, they go up instead of down. But this is a minor quibble. Very impressive render.

thanks for your feed back and comments Horo, not a mechanic myself but I do get your point lol, I went off the angle of the car, I thought i might render it again, but it took 2 hours so into the imaginary work for a light adjustment tee hee ha ha
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

thanks for the comment GussNemo
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

This doesn't really answer your question but I wanted to suggest you consider trying this item. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-masters-series-great-hall I only mention it because after having followed it once I felt it taught me alot about boolean modeling. Alas it was long enough ago that I forgot most of what I learned but that's neither here nor there.

thanks for the comment LordHardDriven

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    tornado said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QrZoi00D0&feature=share&list=UUSDQPl5q0QoWh0fIj9dXMpg thanks for the comment bigh

edited September 2012

Hi...

I've been asked for a horror site to create Gigerisch looking Halloween stuff...
    This is my first design of a pumpkin a la Giger...
    And a grave tomb ala Giger

gigerhalloween2.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 112K
    gigerhalloween.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 98K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
    edited December 1969

Looking good, Erich.

edited December 1969

@Erich: Wow. That's all I can think of. Wow, well done.

I asked a general question about grouping a cutting object with an object already grouped with a cutting object, and the new version of the pull toy is the result.

I shrunk a cylinder down until it was just a bit larger in diameter than the pull rope, made it negative, selected the main wagon body, made that positive and place cutting cylinder in position. Rendered it a few times to get the rope in the right position, and to make sure the hole was going to be correctly placed. Then grouped the wagon body and the hole cutter and obtained a small hole that has a pull rope through it. When I have the time I've going to see how it look with a higher quality render, but I was more interested getting things put together.

Oh, and I'm now learning how to use Hexagon. It's what I used to make sever innervations of the pull rope. An interesting program that one.

Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_13.png
    1280 x 748 - 390K
    Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_18.png
    1280 x 748 - 787K
  • canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I,m working on making a different scene but this came as a result of messing around with text and mats. I thought it look quite nice. trying to follow some of the tuts. this bryce program is quite fun. Thanks terry. P.S. like the car!

Redwindows2fullrender_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 238K
    edited December 1969

I,m working on making a different scene but this came as a result of messing around with text and mats. I thought it look quite nice. trying to follow some of the tuts. this bryce program is quite fun. Thanks terry. P.S. like the car!

Looks excellent... lot of depth in it...

edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    Hi...

I've been asked for a horror site to create Gigerisch looking Halloween stuff...
    This is my first design of a pumpkin a la Giger...
    And a grave tomb ala Giger

excellent stuff going on here i really like your fist one
    edited December 1969

superb image all round stunning
This discussion has been closed.