Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Yeah I have interstellar. It is funny you mention it since I just began playing around with it last night.

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

This: http://www.daz3d.com/gamine is Beautiful!.

Can't wait until it is downloaded

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Renomista said:

This: http://www.daz3d.com/gamine is Beautiful!.

Can't wait until it is downloaded

I thought the quarter length sleeves were nice, we don't see many of those.

Minus the heels I think gamine would make a nice men's outfit. Not sure how it would fit though but the hat would be cute. It has a retro newsboy feel to the set.

Minus the heels I think gamine would make a nice men's outfit. Not sure how it would fit though but the hat would be cute. It has a retro newsboy feel to the set.

Yes i can see that.

maybe if you mix and Match with this one:

http://www.daz3d.com/hipster-chic-for-men

edited March 2016

I did this yesterday and forgot to post it. I showed you the lake with the different color (light white-blue, barely blue) and this one was changed to the muddy color, but not as muddy as the original.  This Refraction Color is  223 / 211 / 201 and is actually a dull pink. You don't want a yellow brown to get the mud. Note the original color was very much pinkish.

It's still with the changed SSS Amount that I posted, (makes the water near shore more see-through)  not the original value.

Fern6.jpg
    900 x 953 - 1020K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Renomista said:

Yes i can see that.

maybe if you mix and Match with this one:

http://www.daz3d.com/hipster-chic-for-men

Here such a Mix:

Renomista said:

Here such a Mix:

Nicely done! He looks better than the female version. =-)

edited March 2016

Novica, Its Dash for MY and Gray and Ragnar for Gianni 7.  I really like Gianni 6 but I have the same problem with 7 as I do with M7.  They are all kind of slender and ugh I can't think of the right word, I want to say smooth lol.  Does that make any sense?  I like really rugged types and these are not really it. Now there were a couple of renders  I saw of Ragnar that totally fit the bill for the type of male character I prefer to use, more rough looking, less smooth.

Okay, take what you're about to see with a grain of salt. Where on earth did that expression come from anyway? I've always been tentative about knowing what was loading onto what, so I will tell you where I got the action that was performed. In other words, when we go to the Characters for Genesis 3 Males and there is a slew of icons with the dudes, I ASSUME they are loaded onto the figure they are meant for. And if I go to the list (to the right) and click on the morphs from there, they load onto whatever I have out in the viewport. I will identify where the morphs/figure came from by either saying ICONS or LIST. 

First of all, we will use these three figures and play. Genesis 3 Male (left)  Michael 7, and Gray (Gianni 7.)  I am assuming that Gray loaded onto Gianni 7 as he was loaded from the ICONS group. This means he's going to get pretty muscular with my experiment, but I'll show you what happens.

So first image, it's G3M, M7, and Gray on Gianni 7. Their mats. G3M is very hard to light with the others, very pale. I moved the sun to the far right to get it away from him or he'd be one glowing blob.

Okay, next I put Ragnar's mats on all three dudes. I noticed the top of the head was a different color (and it comes down a bit onto the forehead. Don't particularly like that.

And then I added Ragnar morphs from the list. So Gray was loaded onto Gianni 7, and then Ragnar's morphs applied. So I was just playing around and thought I'd show you what I ended up with. They look very different!  (If I had to choose, I'd take the G3M personally.) 

G3M M7 GrayOnGianni7.jpg
    1300 x 800 - 584K
    G3M M7 Gray AllRagnarMats.jpg
    1300 x 800 - 625K
    G3MM7GrayAllRagnarMatsMORPHS.jpg
    1300 x 800 - 681K
    Post edited by Novica on

BTW, don't forget to use your Platinum Club coupons as it's the end of the month!

edited March 2016

Still piddlin' around. Since Sonja mentioned Dash, here's his materials.

G3MM7GrayonGi7DASHMATS.jpg
    1300 x 800 - 647K
    Post edited by Novica on

Renomista said:

Here such a Mix:

Nicely done! He looks better than the female version. =-)

ppants and Hat from the female set, Shoes, vest and shirt from the male one.

the pants habe very high hips, this looks very strange on a male char, somewhat obelix like. But with the vest to hide this, it looks ok

edited March 2016

Renomista said:

ppants and Hat from the female set, Shoes, vest and shirt from the male one.

the pants habe very high hips, this looks very strange on a male char, somewhat obelix like. But with the vest to hide this, it looks ok

Men's pants used to be worn higher than they are now I think. In the 40's they are kind of up there near the rib cage. I  agree the vest works to hide it though.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you Novica that is most helfpul!  I can easily use these on just G3M and be happy with it I believe.  Some tinkering with skin and muscle morphs and I think they will do just fine.  Thanks so much!                                                      

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited April 2016

I posted an image of some Iray ceramic shaders recently. Here's a similar test of the new Marble Shaders for Iray  The vases use different combinations of the seamless marble shaders. I like how these look - another good set of shaders. 

The set comes with 12 different designer tiles of patterned floors. The one I used above is Classic Contemporary. The flooring looks versatile and a way to quickly change up a room, so I decided to modify an existing scene I had with a designer tile for the floor and seamless shaders for the columns, windows, and interior walls. A few observations:

1. The shaders on the columns are highly reflective as you can see in the first image, where the front left column doesn't show the marble so much but rather the reflection of the room, floor and wall. You can also see the reflection of the wall in the upper arch of the doorway. You can compensate by turning down the Glossy Layered Wight setting to a lower level - you can see the result in the second room image.
    2. The floor tiling comes in at 16Hx8V tiles which was too small, so an easy change was to reduce the number of tiles.The H and V tile offsets are not accurately reflected in the viewport, so if you want to reposition the tiling relative to the walls, you have to have the viewport rendering in Iray or do test renders (this is not a problem caused by this set as I've dealt with it several times now; I'm still using DS 4.8 so I don't know if this is still true for 4.9).
    3. The marble renders very brightly. I ended up making the base color for the columns and windows more gray to lesson the brightness.  

(Click on images for larger renders)

Iray Marble shaders 02.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 836K
    Iray Marble shaders 03.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 830K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    Novica said:

And then I added Ragnar morphs from the list. So Gray was loaded onto Gianni 7, and then Ragnar's morphs applied. So I was just playing around and thought I'd show you what I ended up with. They look very different!  (If I had to choose, I'd take the G3M personally.) 

Those morphs really make G3M look so much better. I actually like his build better than the other two.

edited April 2016

Invited Guest Contributer

Okay, Novica wanted to see HFS Interstellar officer for Genesis 3 Males/Dariofish

http://www.daz3d.com/hfs-interstellar-officer-for-genesis-3-male-s

Interstellar Officer Textures/Shox-Design

http://www.daz3d.com/interstellar-officer-textures

This is a nice set for your officer characters. Included is a full suit of convincing battle armor, helmet and cap. The armor has some enforced shoulder pads, and some nice touches like the back spinal protection and the flash patches on the armor. The expansion texture pack: Interstellar Officers Textures by Shox Desgin: http://www.daz3d.com/interstellar-officer-textures  offers a nice range of textures and gives the set added versatility. The base set is pure white.

Hat and helmet expand to encompass the characters head if you want to make room for hair. But since there is only one morph, you don't want to dial too much or you might get the Lord Helmet look.

I chose a very short hairstyle for my character to try to fit the helmet and hair over. This style by OOT, worked nice, with only one place I needed to touch up. I tested the helmet and found it to be fairly close fitting, and did not fit over the hair too well initially but the hair does have some style morphs so you can easily pull it down. The visor glass will maginify the face a bit, so you might consider retexturing it if you do not care for the fishbowl look. I retextured the visor with a plain metallic shader in the final image.

One thing I'd like to see is a fully 'clean' non-corroded shoulder armor texture for those officers who are more squared away.

This is a great set, which I quite like. Hope to see an expansion with more textures, some rank insignia, and perhaps a holster and weapons belt.

b-1.jpg
    1000 x 1167 - 836K
    b-2.jpg
    1000 x 1167 - 762K
    image5.jpg
    1230 x 1435 - 922K
    Post edited by Serene Night on

Wow, you people have been busy!  First Sonja, you're welcome, it was fun to experiment.

Second, I, too, liked the G3M the best. 

Rich, the marble tiles look good and you did the gloss quite nicely. The floor looks very elegant. 

Thanks SereneNight for rendering Interstellar Officer.  I like the last one's colors the best. The sleekness of the overall look appeals to me. Not extremely fond of the middle of the hiney (the line) as I'd like that a bit more subtle, but otherwise I really like it. 

Again folks- use your PC codes, you're running out of time! 

Hope everyone in Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee are watching the weather, nasty tornadoes and storms. We didn't even get a drop of rain and were under a flash flood watch. Better that than storms. Feel bad for the kids in Kentucky whose school was hit and the roof torn off. Stay safe everyone- this is going to last till 3am in those states! 

Really like how shiny that marble is.  Will put it on the wishlist.  My budget is way maxed out.  Still working on my content library.  I have over 2000 items to catalog so its taking longer than I expected.  Plus, my darn day job keeps getting in the way lol. 

edited April 2016

No idea how I double posted

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited April 2016

Well, this is the epitome of a statement. "10 morphs for hair" in the specific lists of morphs of Belinda Hair.  No, really? I thought it was morphs for her clothes. This is silly!

10 Morphs Hair
    13 Morphs Long
    14 Morphs Bangs

The total lack of effort telling what the morphs are is disappointing. I wanted to know if that one side of the hair does anything other than hang behind her, down the back. Anyone who owns that hair, will you try it and tell us? Frankly, compare that description with Katharina Hair

There should be a standard template for hair artists and all products, frankly, requiring certain aspects to be explicitly stated. I know, broken record. But morphs for the hair is a "will buy it, not buy it" factor. 

EDIT: And then there's this one: Betty Hair.  You get to guess the styles and morphs, and you're talking SIXTEEN actions you, as a buyer, don't know.

05 Adjustment Morphs
    12 Bang Morphs
    05 Bangs over eyes Morphs
    06 Front Morphs
    08 other Hair Morphs
    08 Styles

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2016

OT

LOL, have you seen this? Funny weather video.  (It has a very short ad, bear with it)

Post edited by Novica on

Does anyone have Niska? I think her eyebrows would do great for kids. They're natural looking. I'd use the mats, or use her and balloon out the cheeks/morph her, change up the skin tone (hard to tell in promos, too red for me.) I don't recall Niska ever being showcased.

edited April 2016

In the included discounted stores: 

Something I noticed- for anyone on the lookout for dance outfits (like practicing in the studio) Miss Octavia's Outfit has a morph to take the top down over the shorts, which makes it family friendlier. You can see it in the second thumbnail.  The shorts are definitely not what I picture daughters going out in on the street, but inside a studio, they cover more than the typical leotard. So if you're looking for dance practice outfits, I think it would work. And you get cute leggings/shoes to kitbash with other outfits. The textures show the longer shirt length better.

If you have a lot of shaders, this No Suit is handy (for G3M) 

The outfit shown in the V8 promo is this one.

Post edited by Novica on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I could be wrong but I think Swam is english as a second language. For many PA's the english text is an issue. It may be that most of the time the QA person fixes the verbage but missed it this time. Of course there are times when we get to that last phase of the project and are just so drained that complex thought is beyond us..

I've never quite understood how to use the Mask and Multipass Toolbox. Anyone used it that has examples? And does it only work for 3DL rendering and not Iray?  I'm thinking it is to create a mask on the face, for example, and then lighten only that in postwork?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Don't have it and am pretty sure it is 3dl only. If you want to do something similar in Iray you use the canvases.

Khory said:

I could be wrong but I think Swam is english as a second language. For many PA's the english text is an issue. It may be that most of the time the QA person fixes the verbage but missed it this time. Of course there are times when we get to that last phase of the project and are just so drained that complex thought is beyond us..

I wish there was someone who could help the ESL folks, that's a good point. And someone to supervise the QA people. That's a glaring list to miss, it's not like it was buried in a paragraph. 

BTW are you in any last phases of more great products? Inquiring (nosey) minds want to know! 

edited April 2016

Another fun one for portrait lighting- yes, an umbrella. 

Talk about making portraits easy- look what's' attached to the camera!  (Iray Photo Shoot)

This has a cool video to show you the lighting. iRadiance Light Probe...

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2016

Well, I'm on a roll. If you want leggings that aren't low beneath the belly button, check out Fashion Leggings. Also note what you can do with them. Playtime! I don't know some of these vendors very well, not sure how often this one goes on sale, but is in the featured discount stores. I also like their Comandante, very sleek and could be used for futuristic settings. Most of all, (gasp!) it's pretty practical! (Not to mention the sword, staff, pistol and the poses- yes, poses- to go with the props.) This vendor went the extra mile to give poses, props, and a variety of material options (on both these products.) Kudos!

Leggings have 16 surface groups where users can apply diffuse, transparency and surface shaders.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.