Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Yes, SWAM is German, though her English is so good it's barely noticable in chatting with her.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2016

I'm seeing that same listing throughout some of the products, with the adjustments/morphs not explained- so it would be fair to say that if QA didn't act on it the first time, there'd be no reason to think it wasn't fine to list it that way. 

Post edited by Novica on

I've learned that if you list too much stuff the people who set up the pages (not QA AFAIK) will truncate stuff, remove text in the description or the feature list if they think it's too long.  Sometimes this creates a big issue, so really that example is not bad.

Though I do have to ask..  I just made adjustment morphs for a dress this afternoon.. 62 of them to be exact.. do you want me to list every one of them?  I was thinking of maybe making a promo image with the parameters tab sceenshots 'cause I know they'll never leave it in the feature list if I put it in there.

edited April 2016

What do they allow for the description itself, you know, the paragraph? Because I DO read those, and for example, EmmaAndJordi (example, and the very first clothing I came to in their store) comes to mind when I thought of detailed, good descriptions. If you look at that example you'll see they broke it down into sections, including one for morphs, which describes what the morphs do. But then look at their list too- short, concise, and not truncated. EDIT: And buddy, if they tried to shorten my description and I was a vendor, I'd raise you-know-what if they let another vendor do it and tried to pull that stunt with me. Wouldn't fly!

I understand it takes a lot of time to write all that up. I just think it would help the vendors with sales. I took three hairs out of my cart because of lack of morph descriptions and put one of EJ in the cart. If I have to make decisions,  I go for the sure thing if I have X amount to spend. (Yippee, first of the month!) 

Fisty, have you ever done a video? I put a couple things in my cart because of those. One is this Iray product and then also this one.

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

What about something like "24 morphs for skirt movement"...."16 morphs for adjustment".....etc? Would that be accepted? 

Fisty said:

I've learned that if you list too much stuff the people who set up the pages (not QA AFAIK) will truncate stuff, remove text in the description or the feature list if they think it's too long.  Sometimes this creates a big issue, so really that example is not bad.

Though I do have to ask..  I just made adjustment morphs for a dress this afternoon.. 62 of them to be exact.. do you want me to list every one of them?  I was thinking of maybe making a promo image with the parameters tab sceenshots 'cause I know they'll never leave it in the feature list if I put it in there.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I like good morph descriptons as well but don't necessarily need to know all 62 lol.  But something along the lines of what those do in general.  Like, sitting morphs, wind morphs, shorten and lengthen morphs.  Just... general idea of what they do

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

If you go to the readme, the link to the FileList can often tell you what those morphs are. It's an extra step (having to find the readme and get there) but it may help?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/24338/file_list ;

Novica said:

Well, this is the epitome of a statement. "10 morphs for hair" in the specific lists of morphs of Belinda Hair.  No, really? I thought it was morphs for her clothes. This is silly!

10 Morphs Hair
    13 Morphs Long
    14 Morphs Bangs

The total lack of effort telling what the morphs are is disappointing. I wanted to know if that one side of the hair does anything other than hang behind her, down the back. Anyone who owns that hair, will you try it and tell us? Frankly, compare that description with Katharina Hair

There should be a standard template for hair artists and all products, frankly, requiring certain aspects to be explicitly stated. I know, broken record. But morphs for the hair is a "will buy it, not buy it" factor. 

EDIT: And then there's this one: Betty Hair.  You get to guess the styles and morphs, and you're talking SIXTEEN actions you, as a buyer, don't know.

05 Adjustment Morphs
    12 Bang Morphs
    05 Bangs over eyes Morphs
    06 Front Morphs
    08 other Hair Morphs
    08 Styles

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    jakiblue said:

If you go to the readme, the link to the FileList can often tell you what those morphs are. It's an extra step (having to find the readme and get there) but it may help?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/24338/file_list ;

Novica said:

Well, this is the epitome of a statement. "10 morphs for hair" in the specific lists of morphs of Belinda Hair.  No, really? I thought it was morphs for her clothes. This is silly!

10 Morphs Hair
    13 Morphs Long
    14 Morphs Bangs

The total lack of effort telling what the morphs are is disappointing. I wanted to know if that one side of the hair does anything other than hang behind her, down the back. Anyone who owns that hair, will you try it and tell us? Frankly, compare that description with Katharina Hair

There should be a standard template for hair artists and all products, frankly, requiring certain aspects to be explicitly stated. I know, broken record. But morphs for the hair is a "will buy it, not buy it" factor. 

EDIT: And then there's this one: Betty Hair.  You get to guess the styles and morphs, and you're talking SIXTEEN actions you, as a buyer, don't know.

05 Adjustment Morphs
    12 Bang Morphs
    06 Front Morphs
    08 other Hair Morphs
    08 Styles

Didn't even know you could do that.  That's helpful

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited April 2016

A couple days ago I posted a review of Nordic Warrior for Genesis 3 Male. This is a followup so you can get a better feel for the textures. In this close-up Iray render, the outfit is on G2M because I like the beard and the aging morphs better than what I have for G3M right now. This was also my first try of Scintillant Portrait Lights for Iray. I am so glad I got these in the make-up sale after several people here remarked on how good they are. I was having trouble remembering how to spell them so I came up with the mnemonic: Skin with a C + Brilliant! which they are - great product Khory. 

Note this was done in DS 4.8.

Nordic Warrier Closeup Scintillant Lights.jpg
    667 x 800 - 502K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    Novica said:

Fisty, have you ever done a video? I put a couple things in my cart because of those. One is this Iray product and then also this one.

Yes..  It took me a solid week of work..

http://www.daz3d.com/sparkles-for-studio

Fisty said:

Yes..  It took me a solid week of work..

http://www.daz3d.com/sparkles-for-studio

Ah yes, I remember seeing that. Well done!

Rich, your Norseman looks good. I liked the textures on the outfit when I saw the first one a day or so ago. Those fasteners on the chest look SO real! 

Want to do a bit of an off-topic here for you writers. 

Not that I'm paranoid, but just extremely careful not to put anything I'm working on into a word counter on a site. I never trust putting my material into ANY textbox that's online. Well, here's a code for a word counter you can put on your own computer. I pasted it in Dreamweaver, saved as an html, then did the preview in browser. So the code is on my computer and not on someone else's webpage. Just thought I'd share that- you never know what scripts are capturing when you input into text boxes on someone else's site. 

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    Novica said:

10 Morphs Hair
    13 Morphs Long
    14 Morphs Bangs

05 Adjustment Morphs
    12 Bang Morphs
    06 Front Morphs
    08 other Hair Morphs
    08 Styles

novica: In this cases a good way is to have a look into the file list:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/24190/file_list

you can at least get a good guess from the Names

But I agree this stuff should be shown clearly in the Promo Images

Novica said:

Another fun one for portrait lighting- yes, an umbrella. 

I picked this up as it went in to MM sale 2 days ago (lost "new" status)

I can post some renders when i get to try it out.

Fisty said:

I like promo images that show the morphs in an understandable way. OOT does this really well for the clothing morphs in a lot of his products

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    Renomista said:

No, but I am curious about it. Would like to know if it is worth purchasing and if it is different from the other product.

Good morning folks!

Yeah, I know about the ReadMes, but when so many stores are on sale, sometimes I don't have time to surf to those such as when we have a huge storm coming in like last night and I am trying to check out before we lose internet service. And they don't have links to the ReadMes, as everyone noted, we have to go look them up. Really a poor setup.  Second, there are comparable hair products with the information right there, making it easy to buy, so I buy those. (Called being a lazy shopper. I admit I am a member of that club.)  If there was a hair I really had to have (none, I've got SO many) then I would possibly go look. I've got a LOT of Rendo hairs too, so frankly I probably shouldn't be buying hair at all! 

About HumanReshade- is it just my color calibration or do several of those look downright orange-ish- which is the main complaint with the Gen3 skins to begin with?

And did anyone notice the lecture hall the desk has no drawers? 

Yesterday, I ended up buying the FSL Filthy Dirty Future Iray Shaders, Expanded Godrays Iray, Iray Photo Shoot, iRadiance Light Probe HDR Lighting For Iray Expansion 1 (they REALLY need to shorten these titles) so, obviously,  I focused mostly on lighting.

I'm a lazy shopper sometimes too..  when I actually shop which is very seldom lately.  Yesterday I wanted something to get V8 for free so I put Anjou Hair in my cart without bothering to read the description or look at any of the pop-up promos.  But is says AprilYSH on it, that's good enough for me.

I bought a ton of stuff thursay and had to resist buying more on Friday.

My favorites so far,is Render Studio Iray and Massive Morphs for Gen 3 males. With Massive, I find  just a little dialed in ads a fair amount of buffness without going into ridiculous. I like that. I really like the lights in Render Studio. Nice set, and easy to understand tutorial.

Fisty said:

I'm a lazy shopper sometimes too..  when I actually shop which is very seldom lately.  Yesterday I wanted something to get V8 for free so I put Anjou Hair in my cart without bothering to read the description or look at any of the pop-up promos.  But is says AprilYSH on it, that's good enough for me.

Anjou Hair is gorgeous! Good buy!

edited April 2016

I also noticed the gap between the foot and the shoes at the top on the doctor's coat. First look at the full length main promo, it shows even there- but wow, when you look at the shoe thumbnail, it's really obvious.

I think she'd walk out of those when she stepped forward if it were that loose- the foot would go forward into the shoe and the heel would pop out. I was comparing to these pumps (which not quite fair, they are higher heeled and push into the front) but this one sure shows it best (and I have it, a GREAT handy shoe. Very classy, practical. 

Post edited by Novica on

Is anyone using DIM? My gosh, it's crawling like a turtle. It started doing it last night, but we had bad storms, so not sure if it's just my computer/area slowdown, or if it's the Daz site? It's been a couple HOURS and only three products have downloaded. I can't show you any of the new stuff angry 

edited April 2016
    Fisty said:

I'm a lazy shopper sometimes too..  when I actually shop which is very seldom lately.  Yesterday I wanted something to get V8 for free 

So, you ready to rev up your engine?  I got it too. I'll race ya! LOL- I can just picture your avatar and mine atop the engines, scooting along. (Edit- I better be careful, Rich may read this and there we'd be, with Rabbicus close in pursuit or leading the way...)

I want that button they did previously for April Fools. I think it was Make Art or something like that. Anyone do a render with that?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2016

Looky, I actually made a render to make a render..  O.o

Okay, Anjou Hair by AprilYSH (Daz-O) quicky review...

There are several style morphs, about as many as you can get away with for a short style like this.  All the fringe has extra bones for posing (left front, right front, and back fringe) which is really handy, and a bunch of adjustment morphs that I didn't have to use at all.  If you're styling it with the dials you see more options for Move & Style in the parameters tab, shaping tab only shows the actual style morphs whereas parameters also has the pose controls which add a good deal more functionality.  But if you're lazy/in a hurry there's a bunch of pre-made styles to use in the hair's folder as is normal with April's products.  It comes with a bunch of colors, I used white and changed the diffuse and translucence tints slightly to better match her eyebrows but otherwise didn't mess with the materials.  I added a couple magnets to push the braid behind her ears, it has an adjustment morph to move the braid higher but it wasn't quite enough for these big ears.

Overall - A+ for style, usablity, morphs, and materials.  Absolutely beautiful.

Also used the Little Mystery suit, I didn't put it through it's paces but I also didn't have to fight with it in any way, I loaded it, added one if it's textures, and rendered... and this is not a clothing friendly pose (I know 'cause it's one of the poses I use to test my rigging) so I'm quite happy with the suit.

ShadowkinG3F.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 270K
    Post edited by Fisty on

I like the etheral quality of the hair with the eyebrows and eyelashes!  Your character's skin has the perfect sheen to go with it.

Novica said:

Is anyone using DIM? My gosh, it's crawling like a turtle. It started doing it last night, but we had bad storms, so not sure if it's just my computer/area slowdown, or if it's the Daz site? It's been a couple HOURS and only three products have downloaded. I can't show you any of the new stuff angry 

Seems okay to me. I just got an update to Karen 7. No problems.

• Hi Fisty, been a while but I came back to 3d, not so much for EQ though heh.  So I passed on the portrait lights and went with Iray Render Studio instead and couldn't be happier that I did!  Huge pack and couldn't be easier to get great results.  Just a quickie with Alice for V4 on G2F.  Lots of possibilities here!

Alice_g2f

Very nice greymouser69!

This discussion has been closed.