Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

Here Quinn with the 3 Izabella Morphs on 0%

The Changes on the body are much more drastic

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    edited March 2016

Here is some more in terms of Mortem Vetus.

I wanted to know how well  the braided hair http://www.daz3d.com/braided-hair works on g2m, in this case Alfred and (edited)  his finery http://www.daz3d.com/fw-alfred-and-his-finery-for-genesis-2-male-s (no Michael inbetween) with some age morphs. It loaded via the DIM and ended in the Poser library. Autofit is no option in this case. It certainly needs some adjustments, I found that I need to scale it down to about 94% and some steps down on the y axis. The rest can be adjusted nicely with the options coming with the hair, hidden in the parameter style. For pointy ears its easier to move them around instead of getting the hair to match. Don't forget to parent it to the head!

These renders are made in DMs Kapelle with ApriliSH Promoscene lights, I increased the subdivision but didn't change any of the other settings. For the future I would probably add more bump to the hair. I really like the style of the hair, that it is a bit shaggy and the ruggedness. The bloody option is a nice detail. (the blood on the forehead is an add by me). DS4.8, rendered in 3delight, no postwork.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/de/ca4a8f4efc2115e2cd15543db69ac3.png

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/d8/140cbd1f042115869c1378610f816e.png

edit to say: here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ea/9ec5747a1d77cef61c04c8a0b19f87.jpg is an example of it on a pointy ears guy

myliege.png
    600 x 800 - 869K
    myliege-fight.png
    600 x 800 - 797K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Thanks. I'm still looking around at what I already own, to see what combinations get close to Quinn without Izabella (who I really don't need, other than a base for the figures for her.) So I'm looking at Celine morphs, who has the lips pretty closely, the eye distance apart, the nose philtrum is pretty close and would make the septum a tad bit deeper.  I don't like all the blush on Celine, but there is a no makeup option which is really nice. I think I'll try the Celene morphs and Desire mats. It's 7:30am here and I'm on a different schedule at the moment, (up all night and through mid-afternoon) so before I get tired I'm headed out to the barn to see Stetson. 

Renomista, thank you for the screenshots and the zeroed render, when you get it done. Very thoughtful.

edited March 2016

I basically bought Izabella (beside wanting to have the complete 7 lineup) for Quinn and Cora and with the discount and lots of great stuff in the Pro Bundle it was a nobrainer...

the zeroed rende.r is allready posted above.

cant post the full body render here

Post edited by Renomista on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited March 2016
    Novica said:
    MelanieL said:

On the subject of MortemVetus characters, here's one I did yesterday. It's Godwin applied to M4, bump strength increased (the Poser mats use a very low bump setting), then Iray Converter for Generation 4 applied (no tweaks, just basic conversion). Rendered in Iray using the standard (ruins) HDRI.

ETA: I bought several of the characters on the strength of this as I'm quite pleased with the results. I'm sure there's scope to improve by tweaking the skin settings a bit more though.

Godwin is amazing MelanieL!!!!  I haven't bought anything Poser but I'd looked at the characters by MV, such an amazing variety. I'm sitting here frankly thinking about how silly for Odelle to be rejected by Daz (the older character, amazing) yet look at all these popular, older characters. And Odelle was for a more current generation!

One of the ones I was looking at was Balverk.

Thanks - I plan to more him over (morphwise) to G2M with GenX2 since I have the M4 UV's for G2M and have now saved my Iray'ed M4 mats as .duf files.

Unfortunately Balverk was one of the few I didn't pick up, so can't try him.

ETA: Ah I see you've already bought him! Did you ever get an answer on how to use these characters in DS? (Sorry if someone replied already I must have missed it) First question is do you have M4 and all the morph sets listed as required on the MV product pages?

If yes, then you need to load M4 character - I don't think he has a Smart Content entry, so you'll need to use the Content Library - Poser Formats - Figures - DAZ People - M4. When he's finished loading you want Poser Formats - Poses - MortemVetus - [whichever character] and load his INJ for head and/or body (some need both some seem to have a single INJ) and his material. Then you'll probably want to go to Surfaces tab and up the bump strengths on surfaces that have bump textures - if you are using Iray then I should warn that a few of the surfaces are using the coloured diffuse map in bump when there is a bump available and I think I read somewhere that Iray is picky about using greyscale not colour but I may be wrong on that. Anyway I made sure they were all using the bump textures. The away you go.

If you don't have M4 morphs then the figure won't look like the promos as they are all dialled shapes not custom sculpted.

If you don't have M4 at all, then you can load the textures onto Genesis and save them in .duf format (or use the batch converter I suppose - I don't have that) but you'll need to use your own face morphs.

Post edited by MelanieL on

@MelanieL I liked the Godwin render a lot Melanie L. You did a good job there.

I admit I was concerned a bit about the maps for those m4 figures. I was concerned about getting them because it might not correspond with an available morph and looked a bit baked on with the creases and scars. I dislike the way some of the figures I have for the older generation look with the baked on finger creases. Is this an issue do you think?

Thanks. I tried the skin for a couple of the MV men on G2M already with a few of Zev0's aging morphs instead of the M4 originals (I've not GenX2's them yet) and their faces didn't look bad. I haven't really looked at the fingers - I'll do that later (not on my rendering machine at the moment)

Thank you Renomista. The body, I'm not worried about, I can tweak that. Mostly chest reductions, etc. With the Izabella removed, I see a change in the nose but I can tweak that too. I have a lot of Thorn V4s that have a similar nose look if I want to Genx2 those. 

Feel free to post more renders- lovely work- of  products you like- welcome to the thread.

And hi Linwelly! Nice to have you, too!  There was a thread a couple years ago, with a tip on how to do pointed ears with hair, but darned if I can remember. People were having the same type of problems with eyelashes and hair. I know some of you old timers remember those conversations. Wasn't there a secret to those? Anyway, your hair looks good and so does the Promoscene lights. Nice setup! Thanks for sharing, feel free to jump in anytime. BTW, if that's a Daz outfit, can you go back and put it in your post with a link? Looks good!

Thanks for the help MelanieL- I got sidetracked with a lightset. I'll try those hopefully this weekend. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

I edited the original post for the link with Alfred figure and the outfit, both the Alfred ( http://www.daz3d.com/fw-alfred-and-his-finery-for-genesis-2-male-s)

The elf ear problem and solution was for the autofittng hairs that try to cover the complete ear no matter how large or pointy, resulting in that teddy bear look. The resolution was to select the hair and in the parameters take our the elf ear morph, returns the hair to the head and the ears poke though.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Linwelly said:

I edited the original post for the link with Alfred figure and the outfit, both the Alfred ( http://www.daz3d.com/fw-alfred-and-his-finery-for-genesis-2-male-s)

The elf ear problem and solution was for the autofittng hairs that try to cover the complete ear no matter how large or pointy, resulting in that teddy bear look. The resolution was to select the hair and in the parameters take our the elf ear morph, returns the hair to the head and the ears poke though.

Sickleyield has a video on her youtube site showing how to fix elf ears and hair for those who like video tutorials

edited March 2016
    MelanieL said:

@MelanieL I liked the Godwin render a lot Melanie L. You did a good job there.

I admit I was concerned a bit about the maps for those m4 figures. I was concerned about getting them because it might not correspond with an available morph and looked a bit baked on with the creases and scars. I dislike the way some of the figures I have for the older generation look with the baked on finger creases. Is this an issue do you think?

Thanks. I tried the skin for a couple of the MV men on G2M already with a few of Zev0's aging morphs instead of the M4 originals (I've not GenX2's them yet) and their faces didn't look bad. I haven't really looked at the fingers - I'll do that later (not on my rendering machine at the moment)

Well the knuckles don't exactly look like my knuckles (or my husband's) - but here is some idea of what they look like on G2M. Top pair is The Slinger, bottom pair is Godwin. In each case the left is G2M Base (unmorphed), the right is G2M with an assortment of Zev0's Aging Morphs.

G2M-The-Slinger.jpg
    1536 x 1024 - 755K
    G2M-Godwin.jpg
    1536 x 1024 - 793K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

Thanks for showing that! Those knuckles look pretty good compared to many I've seen for gen 4 characters.

edited March 2016

LOL- MelanieL, I'd be more concerned if those fingernails look like yours or your husbands- I'd be mortified!  But seriously, thanks for the comparison shots. You're quite talented with the lighting and showing us the details. That last man looks SO sad...

And lookee here!

Been fooling around with the cart, and then I realized I hadn't used either of my coupons for the Platinum Club this month, so I am getting The Girl 7 for $1.71. She's that item that gets additionally discounted if you have two or more of the required items. She drops to $7.71 then you can take $6 off. For $1.71, I figure then I can pick up some of the characters for her later, but use her morphs for the gene pool now. (Take a look at Lauren, who looks normal but based on Girl. EDIT: Lauren goes to $8.98 if you put her in the cart too- She will still be a "new" item tomorrow so you may want to get her then if you already have two of the required ones for today to get The Girl.)

So just a thought for any of you getting 2 items and while The Girl is the item that gets the added 30% off- today only. 

girl1.71.jpg
    729 x 123 - 599K
    Post edited by Novica on

If you get the two bundles, you get the 15% off the four featured stores AND I figured it out, you also get the 10% from that Stonemason's product being the Daily Mind Blower. It comes to 62%. Here's my post from Commons March Madness thread:

~~~ I think it is stacking. I've got Henryk (Looks like Anderson Cooper from CNN to me) (one of the four catalogs that gets the 15% off) in the cart with the two bundles and its one of the four stores, and the price is 17.95, he is showing at 6.86.  Half of 17.95 is 8.98 x 15% (1.35) off is 7.63. And if you DO the 10% off for getting that bundle (the Daily Mind Blower) then minus 76 cents is ta-dah, 6.87 (off a penny) 

So yes, you get the 10% Daily Mind Blower AND the 15% off the stores when shopping in the stores. Have fun!

I did the math and that's about 62% for those four stores.  In this example, 17.95 - 11.09 (what I got off and paid 6.87) , the 11.09 is about 62%  (11.13 is 62% of 17.95)

~~~~

FYI: 

Brooklyn is 19.95 and showing at 7.74. She is a rare one, with light eyebrows. Give her a look!

Swords of History is $14.95 coming in at $4.72.

Yeah, I'm getting Lauren (for Girl 7) now because with Stonemason's DMBlower (that extra 10%) she's 10% cheaper than even yesterday with the two featured products in my cart. SHe's only $8.08 now. So I'll put my new Girl 7 to use with a "normal character." 

Troubadour is coming in at 19.95 for only 5.33 (one of the featured stores) and I like that those pants aren't skin tight. Give it a look, you can always use the shirt for historic pieces even without the pants. (But I like the pants for once! Nice wrinkles too.) 

The Ronya Hair can be used on kids IMO- which makes it a buy. The bundle makes the most sense because that hair has awesome morphs, the character is good, and that extra 15% (if getting Stonemason's awesome bundle) sure adds up in those stores (plus 10% on top of that w/ Stonemason DMBlower.) Newbies: you do NOT add all the percentages together, you take the 50% first for two products, then get an amount THEN do the next percentage (say 15%) and get an amount, THEN do the 10%. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited March 2016

I thought I'd do a post/kind of review here on what I'm currently doing, in case anyone else is interested :)

My DAZStudio program is installed to my internal C drive - it's a SSD and I am keeping it for programs only, so all my content is on my F drive, an external drive. After upgrading to DS 4.9, I decided to try something. I wanted to see how Connect and Smart Content is doing, and I wiped EVERYTHING off my F external drive to reinstall it all via Connect/Smart Content. 

So after getting some help in the forums about how to change WHERE Connect installs to (its default is C drive which I don't want), and finding an excellent video on how to categorize and how to create metadata for non-DAZ products (or daz products I was given by vendors that aren't in the DAZ format), I was ready to start. 

It took almost an hour to delete everything on my F drive. Once it was clear, I was ready to go - I went to the Smart Content tab and starting with "Figures", I had the filter set to "Available" (which are all my products ready to download). I decided that I was only going to install Genesis 3 stuff, props, lights and shaders. 

Downloading via Connect I've found seems to be a lot slower for me than via DIM. I would get blisteringly fast speeds in DIM - molasses slow via the Product Library on the DAZ site (about as slow as Rendo is, so you can imagine HOW slow that is), and medium to fast via Connect. Also, sometimes for whatever reason, it takes a minute for the product to start downloading via Connect, which is a bit annoying. You're not sure if it's actually downloading or it's stuck, so it's worth just waiting a moment or two to check before you panic. As the product downloads, the icon changes from black & white to colour - which is kinda cool to watch. LOL. 

There are a lot of things in the metadata/categories for Smart Content that have me scratching my head in confusion. "Environments" and "Props" in particular. Some products that show in "Props" I wonder why on earth they aren't in "Environments" cos very very similar products to them show up in "Environments". :sigh: It's annoying - possibly only annoying to me tho cos I like organization, it may not bother others. 

Now I know some people may read this and wonder why the hell I am doing this and that sitting in front of their computer for HOURS redownloading and reinstalling stuff via Connect is their version of Hell. LOL. But I like to organize things, and I really wanted to give this Connect and using the Smart Content tab a go. I've mouthed off a LOT about Smart Content in the past, and I finally decided that honestly, I should give it a proper go, in the manner in which it was designed for, rather than keep pooh-poohing it without really digging deep in it. 

So after 4 and a half hours, I have all my Genesis 3 iconic figures installed, and a LOT of the "environments" and "props" and my iray light sets. And so far, I'm quite happy with it. :)

Then I decided to try installing some products that I was given by a vendor to see if I could get the metadata and categorizing correct so they would show up in Smart Content. I watched this video:

Video by 3d-almanac on how to create metadata and categories

which was VERY helpful. He takes you from "creating a product" after you install something, right through the categories and the metadata and to creating the correct sized icon so the picture would show in Smart Content and the Products area. 

And it worked perfectly. The products show up in Smart Content exactly as they should. 

There's an interesting upside to doing this, I've found. Going to Smart Content and clicking on "Environments" and seeing all those pretty pictures of what I have.....it's made me realize that I have a crap-ton of props/environments/sets, whereas before, I always used to think "man, i dont' have any sets/props..i need to buy some!" LOL. Also, there are products popping up that I've totally forgotten I've bought, that I've never got around to using, and that look damn GOOD when I am looking at the icon pictures! LOL. I feel like I've got a whole bunch of new stuff that I can't wait to try out!! 

It's going to take a LONG time for me to organize this, but it's actually something that I enjoy doing, so I'm not too fussed. I also really like the fact that I am ONLY installing the stuff I want - all my old V4 etc stuff is going by teh wayside so I never have to even look at her again. LOL. Plus, by using the Smart Content tab only, all my old Poser stuff is in there also (once I've done the metadata etc), so I don't have to browse over to the Poser library and scroll scroll scroll etc. I always foudn that I would forget about the stuff there, as I was always going through the Studio library instead. 

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited March 2016

I wish I had the funds to buy Stonemasons bundles.  I just don't have it right now so I am going to have to wait on that.  They would put gen2male stuff up at the end of the month.  There timing is not exactly the best.... one of the few times that I wish I still used a credit card lol.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Glad you got it working, I know fixmypcmike was assisting you. Interesting that you aren't using any V4s- not even for the materials? There's some really good materials in those, and with the Iray skin optimization (and even without) some look really good IMO. I like the variety of eyebrows from generation 4, as everyone knows. Anyway, expecting to see some great showcase renders as you explore your newfound toys!  I'm working on one now.

And really ticked off. We had a 30% chance of rain according to Weather Channel. "Gonna stay off the coast, drift to central peninsula, then SUNDAY drift back and up to the Panhandle." (me) Well at 5:30am there was a loud BOOM! of thunder, and I thought what the heck was that? And you should look at the FLorida radar- been POURING down rain since then (and it's after 10am now.)  I am so annoyed because I could have gone and let my horse out of his stall and walked him around before all this started- now we're in a flash flood warning with 2-4 inches. Really? First 30% then 2-4" and 80%. (AHem, it was covering the entire Panhandle, but they still couldn't bring themselves to say 100%...)  

Sonja, I hear ya. I don't know why they put Stonemason's at the end of the month. They knew it was going to be a blockbuster, the details are amazing, so doing it at the beginning made more sense. 

Renomista said:

So after getting some help in the forums about how to change WHERE Connect installs to (its default is C drive which I don't want), and finding an excellent video on how to categorize and how to create metadata for non-DAZ products (or daz products I was given by vendors that aren't in the DAZ format), I was ready to start. 

jakiblue said:

Then I decided to try installing some products that I was given by a vendor to see if I could get the metadata and categorizing correct so they would show up in Smart Content. I watched this video:

Video by 3d-almanac on how to create metadata and categories

which was VERY helpful. He takes you from "creating a product" after you install something, right through the categories and the metadata and to creating the correct sized icon so the picture would show in Smart Content and the Products area. 

popping up that I've totally forgotten I've bought, that I've never got around to using, and that look damn GOOD when I am looking at the icon pictures! LOL. I feel like I've got a whole bunch of new stuff that I can't wait to try out!! 

I'm Very happy that my video Tutorial was helpful!

I really need to find the time to produce the second part on how to manage internal compatibility dependencies...

Novica said:

LOL- MelanieL, I'd be more concerned if those fingernails look like yours or your husbands- I'd be mortified!  But seriously, thanks for the comparison shots. You're quite talented with the lighting and showing us the details. That last man looks SO sad...

Teehee - yes those fingernails do look like he needs a manicurist!

I see you've really been working on your maths - wow, isn't this Madness complicated?!

Novica said:

Sonja, I hear ya. I don't know why they put Stonemason's at the end of the month. They knew it was going to be a blockbuster, the details are amazing, so doing it at the beginning made more sense.

I expect they hoped a few more people would be reaching down the back of the couch, breaking into the kids' piggy banks and selling the family silver to get a Stonemason new product, which they might not bother to do for some other new products introduced this late in the sale. I'm 50% through my April allowance so I'm really thinking: "Oooh, should I or shouldn't I?"

Haha- yep, Stetson looked at me with those big, brown incredulous eyes and nickered, "You bought WHAT with the carrot money?" Don't feel bad, I'll be sitting out most of April with you! I had to do the math because of several products I had wishlisted- wanted Brooklyn (coming up with renders) and Henryk, and Lauren for Girl 7 since I picked up Girl. The first two got the extra discounts stacking as they were in the featured stores. So it made it worth it. 

Brooklyn is incredible IMO. She's so soft- that's the word that comes to mind- with those light eyebrows, and lights easily.

edited March 2016

Brooklyn is included in one of the four featured stores, so featuring her for you. I love her!

I was playing around with Brooklyn for Victoria 7 and setting up some wall planes using Fisty's Fabric Basics Mix and Match for Iray. I love the seersucker material, used on the walls, her blue shirt, and the divan she's on! You get quite diffferent looks because you can choose horizontal or vertical, and the tiling changes it drastically. Classic Pin-up SItting  Poses (G3F) has that neat divan.  The divan pose is from PixieS Poses For Teen Josie 7. There's a good variety in that pack. 

I wasn't setting up a scene per se, I wanted you to see how well this Decorative Easel Set does in Iray. I was testing props last week, and this really stuck in my mind.  I like the wood! If you haven't used your monthly PC coupon, this IS a Daz Original, showing at 58% for me right now. These would go well in an outside eatery, along a storefront, etc.

The floor is Marble Shaders for Iray but I'm not quite following the PDF, I'll have to take another peek when I've got time to re-read it. So I'll feature it separately when I get it figured out.

LARGE RENDERS. Click to enlarge, click again.

1. and 2.  In the first image, yes, she is fully dressed, you just can't see the panties. That is Side Tail Hair FM Tank-top & Panties Pack (G3F)  is the clothing with Fisty's shader.

3. and 4. The new Anjou Hair  but with my Surface colors. With Brooklyn, her eyebrows have red in there, if you use blonde hair that is more golden, you may want to tweak it. I also tweaked the Side Tail Hair.  Wearing Hobby Clothes, (G3F)  which for the inside of the coat texturing, is a LOT more sophisticated than in the promos. Look at the peeled back lapel.  (These next renders aren't as big.) 

5. The closeup. I've done one more, with different colored eyes and makeup.

brooklyn1SIG.jpg
    1200 x 1100 - 1M
    brooklyn2SIG.jpg
    1049 x 1095 - 865K
    brooklyn4SIG.jpg
    614 x 764 - 373K
    brooklyn5SIG.jpg
    455 x 800 - 329K
    brooklyn6SIG.jpg
    555 x 800 - 354K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Last one. Brooklyn can be quite the sophisticate too. I think she'd even be good as a bad girl, she has great expressions. This is with Chace Hair. (Gen2 & 3)  I changed her makeup, lips, and eye color.

TIP: If you own/get Brooklyn, use the blonde from Chace Hair in surfaces to get your colors for whatever hair you're using. I didn't, because I didn't find this in time. But look at how well this hair matches her brows.

Okay, off the computer until late tonight. Have fun shopping! 

brooklyn7ChaceHairSIG.jpg
    555 x 800 - 369K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Because she's in the featured stores, I managed to get one of my wishlisted gals this morning. I had to do this one quickly as I'm supposed to be out the door already, but since you may still be shopping here is a fast one of Chiyo wearing Flashy Hair, which we've featured many times, has a ton of morphs! You can raise the top, puff out the sides, streamline it, etc.

I didn't have any Asian influence for morphs for Genesis 3, so it was nice to get Chiyo. She's a subtle character, classically elegant.

Chiyo1SIG.jpg
    555 x 800 - 307K
    Chiyo2SIG.jpg
    555 x 800 - 325K
    Post edited by Novica on

Dang it, we just had a hail storm. Something tells me this hurricane season is gonna be a doozy. First two EF3 tornados within a week, then a hail storm with 60mph winds. I only got the quarter sized hail, no damage to the vehicle. But seriously, right when I was headed out the door! 

Novica, those Brooklyn / Anjou Hair renders are lovely!

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Those are some really lovely renders. Brooklyn looks really beautiful , added to my wishlist.

I have that fabrics set from Fisty, but haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. Nice to see some renders using that.

No V4 at all - I loathe her :D Her skins won't work on G3 (I know there is some process for it but it's rather complicated and isn't easy like the V4 -> G2 is) plus I have some really lovely G3 skins so I don't need the V4 ones. I'll only install V4 if I have to use her for promo work (which I try to avoid LOL). There's a few Genesis outfits I want to install as they autofit quite well (Stonemason's jeans for a start - have never found a pair of jeans for G3 that are as good as his), but I'm just plodding along slowly getting the immediate stuff I want right now.  

Novica said:

Glad you got it working, I know fixmypcmike was assisting you. Interesting that you aren't using any V4s- not even for the materials? There's some really good materials in those, and with the Iray skin optimization (and even without) some look really good IMO. I like the variety of eyebrows from generation 4, as everyone knows. Anyway, expecting to see some great showcase renders as you explore your newfound toys!  I'm working on one now.

AHA!!! I knew it was a forum user who did that video, and I knew '3dalmanac' wasn't a forum user but I could not for hte life of me recall your username!!! I had your avatar pic in my head, but I honestly couldn't think of your forum name!!! LOL So thank you again for that video - it's excellent! I'd love to see a follow-up one, where you take a more complicated product to do - like, an outfit with textures and props.....do textures get made a "compatibility" with the base outfit??? 

Renomista said:
    Renomista said:

I'm Very happy that my video Tutorial was helpful!

I really need to find the time to produce the second part on how to manage internal compatibility dependencies...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    jakiblue said:

No V4 at all - I loathe her :D Her skins won't work on G3 (I know there is some process for it but it's rather complicated and isn't easy like the V4 -> G2 is)

Look for CaymanStudios "Legacy UVs for Genesis 3" at Renderosity ...

This discussion has been closed.