Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

12357100

Comments

  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 5,454
    edited March 2016

    I don't usually do portraits but I was trying out Rolf by MortemVetus. I used Braided Hair, Whiskers Beard. Iray Base on everything that wasn't Iray and Gianni 6 skin, I think. I don't pay enough attention when setting things up and just click and delete things until something works :) Lighting is Sun & Sky rendered in Iray.

    Click on image for full size.

    rolf-001.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 355K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,212

    Because I know Mortem Vetus are primarily Poser users, I've noticed that a lot of the store pages for their stuff - along with some other RDNA stuff - seem to have errors on it. There's been quite a few of the RDNA products that have had to had changes made after they were released - it seems the pages are set up in a hurry (understandable as QA is probably SWAMPED right now with all hte products coming over) and products that are Poser Only are accidently having DAZStudio info on them, when in fact, the products are not DS compatible. In that, while a product may work perfectly fine in DS, the mats etc are made for Poser only and tweaking will be required. And there were one or two of the Star products that said DS compatible, but they actually contained pmd morphs and would NOT work in DS. They're being fixed as they get caught, but it may pay to check in forums etc if you are unsure. Mortem Vetus - Andrew & Tracey - are lovely people and I believe they have said they are considering learning DS to make their products DS compatible, but they are very much Poser peeps and at this time, there's no DS support on their products. :)  

    Novica said:

    When I picked up Facial Hairness ( http://www.daz3d.com/facial-a-hairness ) the store page indicated Daz Studio as compatible software,  now it reads Poser only.  And there's a good reason for that,  you can get it into Studio with a bit of work,  but the results are tolerable at best. 

    In Poser the beard has volume and realistic natural squiggles and crooks that look authentic.  Also the colours of the strands change adding to the realism.  Definitely worth getting if you can use it in Poser.

    The first image, the hair looks extremely real. I hate that Daz changed that midstream! 

    Sonja, so far as I know, the 30 day return policy is in place. If you used a product to get the madness discount, they would adjust all the prices I think. Not sure how that works.

    That might irritate me.  I would rather they gave me the option to choose something else from his catalog that is in the mm list.

     

  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,212

    I'd be interested in Izabella 7 reviews from those of you who picked her up laugh See what everybody thinks. I grabbed the base, but don't quite want to do a full review on her yet, as I'm on the fence about her and a bit disappointed. I'd like to see what other more experienced users may think...see if I'm just a little bit crazy thinking it, or whether I'm right. 

  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 6,007
    edited March 2016

    On the subject of MortemVetus characters, here's one I did yesterday. It's Godwin applied to M4, bump strength increased (the Poser mats use a very low bump setting), then Iray Converter for Generation 4 applied (no tweaks, just basic conversion). Rendered in Iray using the standard (ruins) HDRI.

    ETA: I bought several of the characters on the strength of this as I'm quite pleased with the results. I'm sure there's scope to improve by tweaking the skin settings a bit more though.

    Godwin-by-MortemVetus.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 487K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,630

    Fishtales and MelanieL, thanks so much for posting those portraits. I was hesitant about that vendor's products since they seem to be very Poser-centric, but those look very good. I especially like Godwin.

  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,468
    jakiblue said:

    Because I know Mortem Vetus are primarily Poser users, I've noticed that a lot of the store pages for their stuff - along with some other RDNA stuff - seem to have errors on it. There's been quite a few of the RDNA products that have had to had changes made after they were released - it seems the pages are set up in a hurry (understandable as QA is probably SWAMPED right now with all hte products coming over) and products that are Poser Only are accidently having DAZStudio info on them, when in fact, the products are not DS compatible. In that, while a product may work perfectly fine in DS, the mats etc are made for Poser only and tweaking will be required. And there were one or two of the Star products that said DS compatible, but they actually contained pmd morphs and would NOT work in DS. They're being fixed as they get caught, but it may pay to check in forums etc if you are unsure. Mortem Vetus - Andrew & Tracey - are lovely people and I believe they have said they are considering learning DS to make their products DS compatible, but they are very much Poser peeps and at this time, there's no DS support on their products. :)  

    Novica said:

    When I picked up Facial Hairness ( http://www.daz3d.com/facial-a-hairness ) the store page indicated Daz Studio as compatible software,  now it reads Poser only.  And there's a good reason for that,  you can get it into Studio with a bit of work,  but the results are tolerable at best. 

    In Poser the beard has volume and realistic natural squiggles and crooks that look authentic.  Also the colours of the strands change adding to the realism.  Definitely worth getting if you can use it in Poser.

    The first image, the hair looks extremely real. I hate that Daz changed that midstream! 

    Sonja, so far as I know, the 30 day return policy is in place. If you used a product to get the madness discount, they would adjust all the prices I think. Not sure how that works.

    That might irritate me.  I would rather they gave me the option to choose something else from his catalog that is in the mm list.

     

    He mentioned somewhere that he was indeed going to be looking into learning Daz Studio and making products that work for both..  Its all good I got my credit, basically, they gave me back the difference of the discount.  I have other stuff of his that works fine and I have no issues with tweaking materials.  Its a good way to learn ....

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260

    need one more. This is it

    Fishtales said:

    I don't usually do portraits but I was trying out Rolf by MortemVetus. I used Braided Hair, Whiskers Beard. Iray Base on everything that wasn't Iray and Gianni 6 skin, I think. I don't pay enough attention when setting things up and just click and delete things until something works :) Lighting is Sun & Sky rendered in Iray.

    Click on image for full size.

    You did amazing- should do portraits more often!  Thanks for showing the Whiskers beard, I have it but haven't used it. It looks realistic and it's good to see someone use it and show it outside the official promo shots. Nice lighting too. 

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260
    jakiblue said:

    I'd be interested in Izabella 7 reviews from those of you who picked her up laugh See what everybody thinks. I grabbed the base, but don't quite want to do a full review on her yet, as I'm on the fence about her and a bit disappointed. I'd like to see what other more experienced users may think...see if I'm just a little bit crazy thinking it, or whether I'm right. 

    Whatever you're thinking, you have a right to think. What are you thinking? Inquiring minds want to know. That way they can specifically test it. I didn't pick her up because I am looking at the Manhattan Loft. Not the bedroom set or lounge- just the kitchen (since it goes into the wall and has a TON of props- even if you don't get the loft, that may be able to be put into another wall? Look at the props, you even get hanging onions.)  I also like that DM's fairy buildings bundle- think of a theme park, a children's playground, etc. Not just for fairies! 

     

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260
    MelanieL said:

    On the subject of MortemVetus characters, here's one I did yesterday. It's Godwin applied to M4, bump strength increased (the Poser mats use a very low bump setting), then Iray Converter for Generation 4 applied (no tweaks, just basic conversion). Rendered in Iray using the standard (ruins) HDRI.

    ETA: I bought several of the characters on the strength of this as I'm quite pleased with the results. I'm sure there's scope to improve by tweaking the skin settings a bit more though.

    Godwin is amazing MelanieL!!!!  I haven't bought anything Poser but I'd looked at the characters by MV, such an amazing variety. I'm sitting here frankly thinking about how silly for Odelle to be rejected by Daz (the older character, amazing) yet look at all these popular, older characters. And Odelle was for a more current generation! 

    One of the ones I was looking at was Balverk.

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 16,871
    edited March 2016

    @MelanieL I liked the Godwin render a lot Melanie L. You did a good job there.

    I admit I was concerned a bit about the maps for those m4 figures. I was concerned about getting them because it might not correspond with an available morph and looked a bit baked on with the creases and scars. I dislike the way some of the figures I have for the older generation look with the baked on finger creases. Is this an issue do you think?

    @ Fishtales: Your male figure reminds me a lot of the new aquaman. =-) Cool!

    @Novica: AS far as Izabella goes, I find her creepy looking, especially the scary makeup in the main promo image where she looks frightened. But her content looks nice. I feel we've had enough of the teen/fairy/waif figures. Ready for something different.

    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 17,161

    All of a sudden today I'm seeing "Have a great day!" at the end of every forum notification email. Are you seeing that?

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 19,013
    barbult said:

    All of a sudden today I'm seeing "Have a great day!" at the end of every forum notification email. Are you seeing that?

    Yes, it was kind of weird.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260

    LOL, yep. Are you having a great one? 

    I don't know what prices everyone else is getting on the MV characters, but it's dirt cheap and I'll return them if I can't get the skins figured out. How do you do Poser anyway? Manually install the files? I'm such an idiot when it comes to non-Daz stuff.

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 16,871

    I sporadically get forum notifications. But I used to really like the notifications that actually told me what the post said. Telling me someone responded in Novica's thread, is like telling me the sun has risen once again. Of course there are posts here. =-)

    Oh, and have a nice day!  cheeky

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260

    I picked up Ludovich, Godwin, Maxwell, Balverk, The Slinger, Daemones, The Duke. And haven't a clue what to do with them LOL. Also got the cute Knocker! Pirates. I did buy the Anjou Hair because although it's in the Izabella Bundle, I don't see me picking her up either.  And I did get the Manhattan Loft and the kitchen, which plunged the MV prices down to about $3-$4 on those. Were you all getting those prices with 2 Mad items in the cart? Godwin for example was $3.67

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260
    edited March 2016

    Totally agree. A link is really "meh." in the emails.

    I DO love the black box popping up in the forum when you're on a thread and someone is posting- it's funny to see SereneNight's avatar suddenly floating in the bottom of the screen! 

    How about all that Asian spam the past two nights in Commons? My goodness! They suddenly locked on to Daz. Let's see if it happens again later tonight.  EDIT- Well, there's another one!!!!

     

    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 16,871

    I have found with poser materials on skins some look nice out of the box. Others, I would use the texture replacement method, of finding a texture for m4 that you like, highlighting the poser figure, and clicking on the new texture and replacing the settings not the mats.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260
    edited March 2016

    I love Olympia 7 and am a fan of Godin.  I like Annelies! I'll probably minimalize that white line above the top lip in postwork though. (I looked it up in African American and Creole women face closeups in Google, and many have a very pronounced lighter area there.) 

    Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 5,454
    edited March 2016

    I used DIM to download the MortemVetus figures and they went into the Poser folder in My DAZ Library.

    The Whisker Beard doesn't fit without a bit of work and it doesn't move with the facial expressions even when fitted to The head, upper or lower jaw frown

    Here is another one of Rolf. I turned him and used a Cyclorama MPcycCastle backdrop. Lighting is the same Sun & Sky set to 3:00pm 21/June/2016 Scotland :)

    rolf-002.jpg
    533 x 800 - 303K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700
    Novica said:

    I love Olympia 7 and am a fan of Godin.  I like Annelies! I'll probably minimalize that white line above the top lip in postwork though. (I looked it up in African American and Creole women face closeups in Google, and many have a very pronounced lighter area there.) 

     

    She looks great - unfortunately I don't have Olympia ...

    Did you take a look at the rest of the page?

    LOL

    Compatible Figures: Genesis 3 Male

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260

    Hmmm.

     P3D Desire  I wonder what those materials would look like on Quinn for Izabella 7 (which, btw, doesn't have Izabella listed for required products. It's never the same- sometimes those are listed even though we know it's not required and can use the Genesis 3 or Genesis 2 morphs, and other times they're not listed. Which is it supposed to be?) 

    Anyone have both of those? I'd love to see Desire's materials on Quinn. I don't have Quinn or I'd show you. I like the eyebrows on Desire and she is close enough to Quinn that I think the mats would keep Quinn's overall look. 

    Just for fun, are there any combos you'd like to see but don't own both characters? (One for morphs, the other for the materials. Keep it the same generation if possible)   I've got a LOT of Generation 2 and Genesis. Have stopped buying most of the Generation 3 as so many of the 2's are similiar IMO

  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

    I have both.

    Render is running. Looks very fine!

  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    edited March 2016

    As Requested FWSA Quinn with P3D Desire Mats

    Simple HDRI only Lighting

    Post edited by Renomista on
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

    And as A Comparsion FWSA Quinn With Original Mats:

  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,212

    YES! I'm seeing it too! Thank goodness you mentioned it, I thought I was going a bit nuts. LOL 

    barbult said:

    All of a sudden today I'm seeing "Have a great day!" at the end of every forum notification email. Are you seeing that?

     

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260

    Thank you Renomista! Appreciate it very much. BTW, did you load Quinn on Genesis 3 or on Izabella?

  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

    I used the Figure included in the Product.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,260

    Yeah, see that's what is a bit confusing- it says it's for Izabella but doesn't have that as a required product, but since the title says for Izabella 7,  I was assuming the promos were done on her. I'll think about picking her up. Thank you again so much!

  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

    I try to check out the used morphs later and see if this leads to any insight

  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

    Here the Answer to your question. It used 3 Izabella Morphs:

    Currently running a Render with those zeroed

This discussion has been closed.