Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Novica I think at one time when I first started at Daz you could get your entire library burned to CD and mailed to you but they quit doing that a long time ago I believe.  I don't even know if I have a d/l limit or GB/month as I download alot and never have gone over any limit but with my new desktop I had the service guy come and put another connection in upstairs but my modem is in the basement so I don't know if that makes a difference at all but it did seem faster before I moved it up to the living room

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2016

I'm with Mediacom (they don't offer Cox in my area) and they have a separate website that shows the usage, really handy. I wish Daz would restart that CD service, I think enough people would be interested in getting their content/part of it that it would be worthwhile. Good to hear your downloading went so well! I've not been a Smart Content user in a long time, with the DIM it's so easy to get to the ReadMe (go to Install, click the "i", for newbies that may not know)  that I usually go there first (unless its a character) and then quickly find the item in Smart Content. 

My modem is in the front room and I am across the foyer from it, my sons have their computers in their rooms, same floor, and we all get the same speed. BTW, the cable folks use the Xfinity site (speedtest.xfinity dot com) to test the service, not speakeasy or the others.  Mine just now during prime usage time was 103.27 peak 113.68  / 17.87 peak 35.77 (wow!, paying for 20 for upload.) 

Post edited by Novica on

Kharma- have you been rendering at all on the new computer yet? 

edited March 2016

Rich, that does give the nice "stroll along" feeling to the viewer. One question- are those street bricks really that wavy for the curb? It seems too segmented in the one with the red car, the aerial view didn't seem that in-and-out. 

Do you have Faverals Alsace or Provence? I didn't get what you did because Provence is awesome (I showcased it) with SO many streets you'd get lost lol. Alsace I haven't rendered, got it on sale, I don't really like the look of some of it, reminded me of plywood and corkboard (in the promos) for some of the siding. (Edit- loading it in studio now, looks better.)  Provence is amazing. I guess I should pull up Alsace and check it out. Anyone got a render of it?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Wow, Alsace renders VERY quickly for a huge set. (Iray)  The water is GORGEOUS. This was a "render without tweaking lighting" and I decided it was good enough.Default lights with Iray.

88% in 8 minutes (full set)

93% 10 minutes.  98% 12 minutes. 

alsace1.jpg
    1284 x 720 - 736K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016
    Novica said:

Kharma- have you been rendering at all on the new computer yet? 

Nor a whole lot, as I have been trying to get stuff downloaded and installed and I only have a couple hours in the evening but I did test a few things...this is Ragnar but since I don't have Gianni yet I threw in a little bit of Leo and then I decided to try Jax skin on him, just playing around a bit for now :)

Ragnar_Jax Skin.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 863K
    Post edited by Kharma on

Oh for pete's sake I will never learn how to attach an image properly so it opens in a new window

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    Kharma said:

Oh for pete's sake I will never learn how to attach an image properly so it opens in a new window

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59549/tutorial-how-to-place-images-in-your-post-tips

edited March 2016
    Kharma said:

LOL, here you go: (giving you more than what you need, as obviously you know how to get the url, etc. This is for others' benefit) This is a permanent post at the beginning of all the Because I Said So! Contest threads, in case you forget.

How To Embed Images In The Post:

How to do this: Attach your image using the Attach A File below this message area. Save the post.

Now go to your image and click it to view it. Copy the URL.  

Now Edit your post (mouse over the upper right corner above this area and you'll see a cog to click/Select Edit.)

Next, go to the postcard icon above this message area and click it.

Paste the URL where it says URL. Choose your dimensions. I try to keep the width at 600-700 and height at 575 so I know everyone can view it better, regardless of their device, without scrolling much.

It will automatically keep the aspect ratio for you.

Then, while the popup is still open, click on the Link tab and paste the URL there too. For Target, please select the "New Window (_blank) option 

(THIS IS WHAT MAKES IT A NEW OPENED WINDOW.)

Post edited by Novica on

I like your Ragnar combo! He looks like a BAD BOY!

Thank barbult, it seems to open for me in a new window now, even tho I didn't do anything else...strange

It changes too- sometimes you will have it as a new window opening, then it will lose that status (and sometimes comes back.) Drives me nuts. I'll X out of what used to be a new window and I leave the thread. 

Novica said:

It changes too- sometimes you will have it as a new window opening, then it will lose that status (and sometimes comes back.) Drives me nuts. I'll X out of what used to be a new window and I leave the thread. 

Yeah sometimes it seems to work for me and other times not and then it will work later and then it won't...makes me feel like a dummy lol

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    Novica said:

Rich, that does give the nice "stroll along" feeling to the viewer. One question- are those street bricks really that wavy for the curb? It seems too segmented in the one with the red car, the aerial view didn't seem that in-and-out. 

Do you have Faverals Alsace or Provence? I didn't get what you did because Provence is awesome (I showcased it) with SO many streets you'd get lost lol. Alsace I haven't rendered, got it on sale, I don't really like the look of some of it, reminded me of plywood and corkboard (in the promos) for some of the siding. (Edit- loading it in studio now, looks better.)  Provence is amazing. I guess I should pull up Alsace and check it out. Anyone got a render of it?

Yes, the curbs are wavy like that. And the roadbed is bumpy too. I think the roads and sidewalks reflect that it's a model of an old European city center.

I have Provence, The Streets of Tuscany and The Streets of Old London. I have Alsace wishlisted - I almost bought it recently but didn't since I just got Harpsburg. They all share some similarities. 

edited March 2016
    Novica said:

I like your Ragnar combo! He looks like a BAD BOY!

thanks, the lighting kinda sucks as it's just the basic dome that comes with as I don't have any lights installed yet and I am still trying to figure out the lighting in Iray seeing as I didn't use Iray too much before cause I am totally impatient and hated waiting an hour for a basic render  lol

HAHA I was just looking and I made 2000 posts, then looked at yours Novice 11679 holy cow!!!

Post edited by Kharma on
    edited March 2016

Ratings: Highly recommend, top of the line for both.  Alsace has beautiful water, beautiful details, and of course it's no surprise- it's Faveral. Mely3D outdid themself with this Sailboat, exquisite details and their water set looks great too. (One below is Alsace's.) The doors in the boat move, there are nice props.

Wishlist or grab these, you'll be thrilled with both. And yes, BOTH Alsace and the sailboat are 3DL and Iray!  Check back for the sailboat.

Look closely and you will see the ripples in the sand. 

alsace2.jpg
    809 x 859 - 671K
    alsace3.jpg
    1200 x 1100 - 972K
    alsace4.jpg
    573 x 700 - 317K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Ratings: Highly recommend, top of the line for both.  Alsace has beautiful water, beautiful details, and of course it's no surprise- it's Faveral. Mely3D outdid themself with this Sailboat, exquisite details and their water set looks great too. (One below is Alsace's.) The doors in the boat move, there are nice props.

Wishlist or grab these, you'll be thrilled with both. And yes, BOTH Alsace and the sailboat are 3DL and Iray!  Check back for the sailboat.

Alsace looks very nice. I'm sure I'll get it sometime. I also got the sailboat but haven't given it a try yet. We'll have to have a race.laugh

Kharma said:

HAHA I was just looking and I made 2000 posts, then looked at yours Novice 11679 holy cow!!!

Yeah, well...blush  But I still haven't caught up to Jeff  (Jaderail) who had, what, 18,000? He was always on, helping people. I'm sad every July. Wish he could have lived to see all the Iray renders.

So far as lighting- try the Latitude Longitude. Love that set.

edited March 2016
    RGcincy said:

Alsace looks very nice. I'm sure I'll get it sometime. I also got the sailboat but haven't given it a try yet. We'll have to have a race.laugh

You really want a sailboat race with someone from a beach town?  Bring it baby!  (Lol, just to be clear, I knew what you  meant.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

The Novica sailboat just docked up in the Alsace post. Ta-dah!  Rich, if you want to render that sailboat with its water, folks could see it. Edit: I'll go explore the inside of the boat.

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

You really want a sailboat race with someone from a beach town?  Bring it baby!  (Lol, just to be clear, I knew what you  meant.) 

I'll concede. In a real race, I'd be going around in circles, if not laying the boat on its side. The first time I tried sailing, it was on a local lake sailing a small Sunfish. No problem going down the lake, but getting back to the dock took forever.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    Novica said:

Those are two of the most beautiful renders you have posted!

Novica said:

The Novica sailboat just docked up in the Alsace post. Ta-dah!  Rich, if you want to render that sailboat with its water, folks could see it. Edit: I'll go explore the inside of the boat.

Oooh, it looks like it one of those Google self-sailing boats!  

It is a very nice looking model. Have you rendered the inside yet? I'll have to see what I come up with tomorrow.

RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

I'll concede. In a real race, I'd be going around in circles, if not laying the boat on its side. The first time I tried sailing, it was on a local lake sailing a small Sunfish. No problem going down the lake, but getting back to the dock took forever.

"Tacking" not your thing, eh?

Thank you Barbult. It was just what was loaded in the studio, that I had used for something in progress. I think it's the Latitude Longitude lights I was recommending to Kharma. So easy to use and great sunlight options for outdoor scenes.

RGcincy said:

Oooh, it looks like it one of those Google self-sailing boats!  

It is a very nice looking model. Have you rendered the inside yet? I'll have to see what I come up with tomorrow.

Working on it. Will be adding to the Alsace post until that fills up so be sure and scroll back up in a few minutes. Doing a shot from the back of the boat at the moment, will only be about two minutes.

edited March 2016

Um, Houston, we have a problem. The television screen, which is lowered inside the cabin and has a football game on it, DISAPPEARS when rendered in Iray, and there's no surface material to select it (when I can't find something in Scene, the fastest way to jump to it anyway is to click the surface tool click on the surface, and voila, you're there. It's a tip I posted long ago.)  Well, there's NO SURFACE TO CLICK, I'm trying and nothing is highlighting in yellow with the television included,  and it's not in the Scene list, I opened every single group. Now what? 

I stopped the render. I'm going to go try surfaces again and recheck Scene tab. EDIT: When I click on the tv using the surface tool, it's selecting part of Faveral's city! 

EDIT: I scaled the boat to 103% and am re-rendering to see if that affected it. Answer: NO. 

Edit: double checked every single element in the scene tab, there is NO television. I can't get rid of it!

Edit: I moved the shell once instead of the boat so am going to reload the boat. However, I had hit Undo so that should not be the problem. I want to eliminate any possibility that I caused the problem, but undo is undo.

SOLVED: I reloaded and it is there. Don't know what caused it. I checked the shell on the other boat and it seemed to be fitting correctly.

television problem.jpg
    800 x 700 - 722K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    RGcincy said:

Yes, the curbs are wavy like that. And the roadbed is bumpy too. I think the roads and sidewalks reflect that it's a model of an old European city center.

As a European who lives in an old city - yes, that is a realistic wavy curb and road surface for cobblestone streets.

edited March 2016

Neat! I'm jealous, cobblestone streets add so much charm, instead of asphalt.

BTW, I'm still stumped on the Sailboat. It couldn't have been in the wrong place due to me pulling the shell (as I said, I hit undo and that was that.) Why? Because it wouldn't have been in the perfect location in the viewport if it were out of place. It was there in the viewport, hanging perfectly. I render it, and it's in the ceiling. I give up, this is really funky. (And no surface materials, and not listed in the scene pane? What is this, Twilight Zone?) I've reloaded the scene and am doing this again. Will let you know.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Edit: Nope, it's the SECOND boat I loaded that's working, not the first. Chalk up the first to...well, must be user error. I'll post the interior shots here later, have to refigure the lighting as I sure as heck didn't want to save that scene when I changed the lighting for the inside cabin shots. 

Post edited by Novica on

AHA!  Found it. At least I think I have. What I think happened (and a word to the wise-)  When I click on Sailboat in Scene tab, and it opens up, I think I may have clicked on Boat. So be careful with that Parent and Child both named so closely, when you go to move your Sailboat if you are clicking in Scene and using Parameters. Because I just did it again, darn it! 

This discussion has been closed.