Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited March 2016
    Novica said:

Neat! I'm jealous, cobblestone streets add so much charm, instead of asphalt.

Aesthetically, yes. Accoustically - well, tyres on cobblestones are quite a bit louder than on asphalt.

(edited to add: things you never wanted to know and are offtopic on top of that ... sorry)

Post edited by Kerya on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited March 2016

Well pat myself on the back. IT WAS NOT MY ERROR. (For once.) When you load the "Sailboat Complete Iray"  it loads with BOAT selected, NOT SAILBOAT.  So when you pull on the Universal Tool out in the viewport, you are disassembling your boat.

WOOT! WASN'T ME!!!!!!!  (Still doesn't explain why it showed in the viewport for rendering and was in the ceiling when rendered.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    Kerya said:
    Novica said:

Aesthetically, yes. Accoustically - well, tyres on cobblestones are quite a bit louder than on asphalt.

(edited to add: things you never wanted to know and are offtopic on top of that ... sorry)

Are you kidding?  The offtopic are the most interesting. I'll share. We have a brick road that runs alongside a 55mph highway, it's really neat! Here's some photos. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I absolutely loved the old cities in Germany we visited when I was growing up (My parents were from Germany,  I so want to go back and revisit the littel towns my grandparents live in).  You can literally fell the weight of centuries 9in a good way).

Did anyone pick up the self lighting campfire?  Pretty sure its for 3delight.  I bought it today and am hoping to play a bit with it either tomorrow night or Friday.  Looks really useful if you do fantasy or medieval stuff.  Or a lot of outdoorsy things

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Novica said:
    Kharma said:

HAHA I was just looking and I made 2000 posts, then looked at yours Novice 11679 holy cow!!!

Yeah, well...blush  But I still haven't caught up to Jeff  (Jaderail) who had, what, 18,000? He was always on, helping people. I'm sad every July. Wish he could have lived to see all the Iray renders.

So far as lighting- try the Latitude Longitude. Love that set.

I have that light set wishlisted, hope to get it soon tho

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804
    edited March 2016
    Novica said:

Well pat myself on the back. IT WAS NOT MY ERROR. (For once.) When you load the "Sailboat Complete Iray"  it loads with BOAT selected, NOT SAILBOAT.  So when you pull on the Universal Tool out in the viewport, you are disassembling your boat.

I see what you mean. You have to be careful as if you click on the boat in the viewport, it doesn't select the sailboat group, so the boat shell moves without the interior. You can correct that by parenting the entrance and interior to the boat.

Kerya said:
    Novica said:

And I can imagine riding a bicycle over them is a great joy too!

I absolutely loved the old cities in Germany we visited when I was growing up (My parents were from Germany,  I so want to go back and revisit the little towns my grandparents live in).  You can literally feel the weight of centuries in a good way).

I've only been to Frankfurt in Germany but have spent time in Bruges & Mechelen (Belgium), Basel (Switzerland), Amsterdam (Netherlands) and quite a few trips to Copenhagen (Denmark).  Love walking old historic cities like that. 

Novica said:

Are you kidding?  The offtopic are the most interesting. I'll share. We have a brick road that runs alongside a 55mph highway, it's really neat! Here's some photos. 

Glad to see they preserved that road. Lots of time history just gets plowed under.

Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited March 2016

Here's a couple of sailboat renders. Both used 3DL with the sea from Ocean Wide. The first image uses a FM Night Builder sky along with AoA ambient light at a very low level and a point light within the boat also set to a very low level with low falloff. Makes for a romantic setting. The second image uses the skydome from FirstBastion's 1950's Era Motel set. I turned the ambient down slightly as it was rendering too bright. Very nice model!

(click on images for larger versions)

Here's a render using the sea and sky that comes with the 3DL set. You can see the sea has a much different reflection. It also has a cutout that fits the boat - found that out when I moved the boat. The sea is a circular shape that's not all that big but you can't scale it as the cutout scales too. The sky is just a light, so that's why the sky shows black. My reco is to use your own sea and sky from other sets as Novica and I both did.

This next one is the Iray sea and sky. I think the Iray sea looks better. Still no sky.

The set comes with two scenes. They share the same color scheme that you can see in the Iray image below. The scenes do have a sky with sun unlike the sets shown above. Family-friendly Warning: both scenes load with figures, genesis 2 male for this one and genesis male and female for the second one (not shown). If you don't have preview lights on, the scene in the viewport is mostly black and you may not notice the figures have no clothes or hair. 

Sailboat night.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 470K
    Sailboat day.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 572K
    Sailboat set sea sky.jpg
    480 x 600 - 104K
    Sailboat set sea sky Iray.jpg
    683 x 826 - 178K
    Sailboat scene .jpg
    681 x 800 - 427K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551

I'm really enjoying seeing all these sailboats. Nice renders everyone! I admit, I didn't buy the sailboat... But maybe I'll have to get one if Sarge ever goes on a vacation. (yeah right). But it looks really nice! =-)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,070
    edited March 2016

Yeah, I didn't buy the sailboat either (can't see a need for it at present and it isn't really cheap) - but the renders shown here look really good.

I also liked the Alsace renders - I have that set but I don't think I've used it yet blush

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited March 2016

Very nicely done Rich! I like the golden toned one, saw that in the promos and that really caught my attention there too. I think my favorite water is Faverals, I assume she uses the same one for all her sets. (Why reinvent the wheel.)  The one with the aurora lights is stunning! 

Sorry that I didn't go down the streets of Alsace, I'll do some tonight. The sailboat got me distracted when the television went whacky. Anyone got an explanation of why it would be showing in the viewport correctly, hanging straight down and in full view- then render like that through the ceiling with only the bottom rim showing?  I did a screenshot at the time but forgot to CTRL-V and paste it into my graphics program, then when I did the links for the post (copy/paste) I stupidly erased what was stored in the screenshot. (Is there a way to reverse that, like an undo, to go back and get other screenshots?)

Anyone who bought the new character Izabella 7, feel free to render and share your thoughts. I am not getting her at this time or anything from the bundles. I am shopping a bit differently, as MelanieL mentioned the boat was a bit pricey, I got it because my book is a tropical, waterfront setting so I am buying what I know I will definitely use. I picked up the bowling alley too. I don't know why they release characters at the end of a sale either, I'm sticking to my budget (which was extremely low due to Stetson's medical bills for the emergency vet bill January 23rd, still paying that off. And he's worth every penny *smile* Stetson is my black Morgan horse, for newbies to the thread.)  So I'd love to see some Izabella.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

One last sailboat render. A special one for Novica. You said you liked the golden tone. 

"The Winner Is..."

The Winner Is....jpg
    683 x 826 - 387K
    edited March 2016

Aw, Nova and Rabbicus- what a pair! Happy sailing.  Edit: I assume that's us on the boat. I'll take that gals figure any day of the week!

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    Novica said:

Aw, Nova and Rabbicus- what a pair! Happy sailing.  Edit: I assume that's us on the boat. I'll take that gals figure any day of the week!

I always picture you just like that.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563

Did anyone pick up the self lighting campfire?  Pretty sure its for 3delight.  I bought it today and am hoping to play a bit with it either tomorrow night or Friday.  Looks really useful if you do fantasy or medieval stuff.  Or a lot of outdoorsy things

It's for Poser.

It's for Poser.

Well that's not good.  Will it work in Studio?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563

It's for Poser.

Not the lightng, no.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I like that brick road! Never seen something like that.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,184

It's for Poser.

Not the lightng, no.

You might be able to use Iray emmisive on it.  The model itself should load.  need to tweak the materials though

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,184
    edited March 2016

When I picked up Facial Hairness ( http://www.daz3d.com/facial-a-hairness ) the store page indicated Daz Studio as compatible software,  now it reads Poser only.  And there's a good reason for that,  you can get it into Studio with a bit of work,  but the results are tolerable at best. 

In Poser the beard has volume and realistic natural squiggles and crooks that look authentic.  Also the colours of the strands change adding to the realism.  Definitely worth getting if you can use it in Poser.

There is a small converter program on sharecg that will convert the Poser dynamic hair model into a usable obj,  which you can then import the beard into Studio and parent it to the figure.  But all the natural looking characteristics fade.  The converter basically adds polygons to replace the lines in the poser hr2. Somewhere around 36000 polies.  You also need to add a texture and a transmap under the surfaces tab. A better transmap might help and a better diffuse texture might help.   Its a fun experiment and good way to figure stuff out between the two programs for the adventurous.    I'm keeping the beard set,  but I'll use it in Poser. Mortem Vetus has some great looking content.  Probably be picking up some more stuff today.

mortemvetus-beard.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 536K
    vetusbeardinDS1100.jpg
    1100 x 596 - 250K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on

Wonder if I can return it. I bought because it lights up by itself.  i already have a campfire I can light myself...

When I picked up Facial Hairness ( http://www.daz3d.com/facial-a-hairness ) the store page indicated Daz Studio as compatible software,  now it reads Poser only.  And there's a good reason for that,  you can get it into Studio with a bit of work,  but the results are tolerable at best. 

In Poser the beard has volume and realistic natural squiggles and crooks that look authentic.  Also the colours of the strands change adding to the realism.  Definitely worth getting if you can use it in Poser.

The first image, the hair looks extremely real. I hate that Daz changed that midstream! 

Sonja, so far as I know, the 30 day return policy is in place. If you used a product to get the madness discount, they would adjust all the prices I think. Not sure how that works.

edited March 2016

So look at image one, that is the map to follow along as I take you on the back street.

#2. Shows you the outdoor umbrella area where I had the boat parked. See the building across the street (Red Building) with the white sign? We'll zoom in on that and then go down that street that is to our far left in image two.

#3 That is the Red Building closeup, it is the Brasserie de la Place (I think) which is next door to the Hotel. 

#4. Closeup of the sign on the Brasserie building. Don't ask me. 

#5. Standing in the street where the word "Hotel" is on the map, and shooting toward the red building and Hotel.  We are going to turn to our left toward the building with the pink/red shutters and into the shadows, and continue down the street toward "A" 

alsaceMainMap.jpg
    800 x 629 - 439K
    alsace5.jpg
    800 x 629 - 509K
    alsace7.jpg
    800 x 629 - 494K
    alsace6.jpg
    800 x 629 - 500K
    alsace9BesideHotel.jpg
    800 x 629 - 501K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

#1 So first, let's go inside the Hotel and see if it's usable. Not really designed to be used, but if you strategically place people, potted plants, props- you might be able to cover the funky window bars. But definitely not set up for people. There are no floors in the two story buildings for the second floors, note that should be a consideration for sunlit scenes which show the interiors.

#2  So now we're headed toward A on the map, aka, the end of the street before we turn to our left. That doorway on the end is interesting, you can see it's big and rounded.

#3.  The first interesting doorway on the street after we made our left turn. This would be on our right after we turn. 

#4. Looking straight down the street toward B on the map, the red awning building. See the piece of road on the left? I'm going to take a shot down that street shortly. That will be C with the tiny arrow, on the map.  Keep an eye on that Stop Sign because we're headed that way after that, and going to the right. 

#5.  Closeup of the red awning.

alsace8insideHotel.jpg
    800 x 629 - 450K
    alsace10DownFromHotel.jpg
    800 x 629 - 464K
    alsace1turnCorner.jpg
    800 x 629 - 470K
    alsace2turnCorner.jpg
    800 x 629 - 459K
    alsace3turnCorner.jpg
    800 x 629 - 493K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

#1. This is a better shot showing you the street on the left that we're taking a quick look at for #2. The street we're currently on, I call the Stop sign street. 

#2. This is street C on the map.  Shooting straight down the street. It leads back to the waterfront, you can see the red umbrella. I'm standing on the Stop Sign street, taking the picture. 

#3. Still on that middle street C but turned back toward the Stop sign street.

#4. Shooting to the right from the Stop sign toward E. Let's head that way toward the Stair House (F) which you can see from this picture.

#5. The Stair House, on the waterfront. 

alsace4turnCorner.jpg
    800 x 629 - 522K
    alsace5turnCornerMidStreet.jpg
    800 x 629 - 451K
    alsace6MidStreet.jpg
    800 x 629 - 523K
    alsace7MidStreetStopTurnRight.jpg
    800 x 629 - 494K
    alsace7MidStreetStopTurnRight2.jpg
    800 x 629 - 307K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

And then you reach the waterfront. The Stair House is on the left. 

Hope you enjoyed the tour, we didn't even explore most of the streets! 

One thing I would suggest with this set is to go to TOP VIEW and check out the sun you did, to ensure you get lighting at whatever building you are trying to stage with people. I lightened the renders on that Stop sign street, it can go pretty dark.

alsaceMidStreetStopTurnRight3.jpg
    800 x 629 - 522K
    Post edited by Novica on

Nice tour! Well-organized and your top view map made it easy to see how it fits together. Makes me want to get this.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    RGcincy said:

One last sailboat render. A special one for Novica. You said you liked the golden tone. 

"The Winner Is..."

Love what you did to those sails!

@Novica  Nice walk-through!  I have a lot of Faveral products, but Alsace is one that I haven't managed to get yet.  I'm definitely going to have to pick this up at some point.

Novica said:

The first image, the hair looks extremely real. I hate that Daz changed that midstream! 

Sonja, so far as I know, the 30 day return policy is in place. If you used a product to get the madness discount, they would adjust all the prices I think. Not sure how that works.

That might irritate me.  I would rather they gave me the option to choose something else from his catalog that is in the mm list.

Wow that's incredible!  His stuff just moved much farther up the wish list

This discussion has been closed.