Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

That will be corrected

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    Novica said:

Be aware, this is encrypted only. (EJ Graciana) 

Emma&Jordi mentioned in the thread that will be corrected

• Novica said:

Be aware, this is encrypted only. (EJ Graciana) 

Emma&Jordi mentioned in the thread that will be corrected

Has been corrected, I believe.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I wonder when Daz is going to really start releasing encrypted content? So far we've only had a few early freebies and test cases, I think. The encryption won't protect any assets if it isn't actually used. I thought we'd see everything being encrypted by now.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

The 12 month waiting period on encrypted means I won't buy any of it during that time and then the "impulse buying" is long past. So it's a good thing for me actually!  I also buy a lot of older stuff, but it has to be discounted to catch my attention. I imagine the merging of two sites on top of the encryption process is a lot ot tackle at once. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited March 2016

In case it's helpful to others, thought I'd show how I made an image that was partially rendered with 3DL and partially with Iray. It's an interior scene with a mirror, and I was having trouble getting the right light balance with Iray (more than likely from my inexperience than anything else). I was using Mec4D's St. Patrick day Iray shaders, so needed Iray to show them off. 

Step 1. A 3DL render using Baroque GrandeurDeco MirrorVintage Rose for Genesis 2 Female dress, Loyce HairFWSA MeMoo HD, lit by Advanced Ambient Light

Step 2: An Iray render using a single point light and emissive ceiling. Dress is MeriMay for Genesis 2 Female using several transparent sections to make it sleeveless and short. Hat is from Patty Jewels for Genesis 2 Female, I made the figure young with morphs and skin from Growing Up for Genesis2 Female(s) and V6. To get a good light in the mirror, I had to overexpose the scene. All the green in the scene is from Mec4D's shaders.

Step 3: I took the output from step 1 into GIMP (free Photoshop alternative) as a layer over a blank canvas. and used the eraser to remove the mirror. The white area in the image is actually a transparent area in the png. 

Step 4: I loaded step 2 as a new layer and moved it below the layer with the erased mirror. I used the scaling tool to make it a little bit bigger so none of the overexposed scene showed up. I merged all the layers and got this as the result. 

St Pats Part A.jpg
    640 x 800 - 453K
    St Pats Part B Iray.jpg
    640 x 800 - 473K
    St Pats Part A mirror erased.png
    640 x 800 - 743K
    St Pats.jpg
    640 x 800 - 742K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited March 2016

Awwww, that's a wonderful render! I take it you entered it in the shader contest? LOVE IT!

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Awwww, that's a wonderful render! I take it you entered it in the shader contest? LOVE IT!

I did. Thanks!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

That's pretty darn awesome

Thanks Sonja!

Tip: With the way images are attached to various posts, sometimes they open up in a new window and sometimes in the current window. I frequently find myself clicking on the tab's X to clear the image and go back to the discussion, only to find I also closed the discussion thread. A quick way to recover is to do Ctrl+Shift+T (works at least in Chrome and IE, may work in all browsers) to reopen the tab. For a long time I didn't realize you could do this until my son used it one day. Sharing the tip in case you haven't heard of it either.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,038
    RGcincy said:

Thanks Sonja!

Tip: With the way images are attached to various posts, sometimes they open up in a new window and sometimes in the current window. I frequently find myself clicking on the tab's X to clear the image and go back to the discussion, only to find I also closed the discussion thread. A quick way to recover is to do Ctrl+Shift+T (works at least in Chrome and IE, may work in all browsers) to reopen the tab. For a long time I didn't realize you could do this until my son used it one day. Sharing the tip in case you haven't heard of it either.

Works in Opera too yes

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

@RGcincy Pretty cool technique.  I haven't tried anything like that yet, but you make it seem easy.

I just recently picked up the Save and Share when it was on sale last.  Let me know if you get anything you want to share.  I haven't tested it out yet, but it is on the ToDo list.  I don't know yet if I can take the presets I've already made before getting it and converting it to something that can be shared, but it is one thing I'll be looking into when I test it out.

@RGcincy Pretty cool technique.  I haven't tried anything like that yet, but you make it seem easy.

I just recently picked up the Save and Share when it was on sale last.  Let me know if you get anything you want to share.  I haven't tested it out yet, but it is on the ToDo list.  I don't know yet if I can take the presets I've already made before getting it and converting it to something that can be shared, but it is one thing I'll be looking into when I test it out.

Once I get my database up and running again (its been steadily loading items since last night lol.  I am hoping it will be done by the time I get home from work.  That will at least give me the Daz stuff to work with.  Then I will have to start loading my freebies again.  But as far as the save and share, I have only had a chance to play with the recipe maker once or twice so I am still in the process of figuring out how it actually works.  Its a little different from the skin builder as far as saving it to the card.  Once I figure it out completley I am sure I will have lots to share.  I am LOVE making stuff like this lol.

You two feel free to share how it works and what it does, if you ever get around to it and feel like doing it. I'm busy transferring files (epub and mobi) and doing book coding. Ya know, the fun stuff. indecision

Novica said:

You two feel free to share how it works and what it does, if you ever get around to it and feel like doing it. I'm busy transferring files (epub and mobi) and doing book coding. Ya know, the fun stuff. indecision

Lol!  Well I had no idea that loading all of my content would take this long.  Started it yesterday evening and its STILL running.  Down to 450 files I think.  Will be ready to start on the freebies maybe Wednesday.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Novica said:

Lol!  Well I had no idea that loading all of my content would take this long.  Started it yesterday evening and its STILL running.  Down to 450 files I think.  Will be ready to start on the freebies maybe Wednesday.

Hi Sonja, are you installing all your content with DIM or Connect?  I have a little over 4000 items and I am reinstalling with DIM but starting with everything Genesis 3 and working my way backwards..G2, Genesis and then the V4 etc and only going to categorize what I need to. I wonder how long it would take if I just set it to download and install everything at once...

Via Dim.  I only have a couple items that were freebies that I HAVE to download with connect.  It had about 1980 items to load after removing duplicate legacy and poser files.  It was at 150 left to load when I left for work this morning lol. So I started Sunday night and its Tuesday morning.  It did stop a couple time on its own and said it lost its connection so it may take a bit less if you can babysit it most of the time.

edited March 2016

He's got his hand on that naked butt. And yes, it's naked, even if there is a thong embedded in his you-know-what,  there's hardly any material showing. 

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!  

I'm not putting the picture in this post, it's too disgusting. 

disgusting.jpg
    512 x 695 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

Lol. I thought Daz store was striving towards family friendliness. Lots of blood and gore in these items and now monster butt? 

Monster Butt...sounds like the name of a new song, instead of Monster Mash- they can all stagger around holding their hineys!

Kharma said:

Hi Sonja, are you installing all your content with DIM or Connect?  I have a little over 4000 items and I am reinstalling with DIM but starting with everything Genesis 3 and working my way backwards..G2, Genesis and then the V4 etc and only going to categorize what I need to. I wonder how long it would take if I just set it to download and install everything at once...

I downloaded all mine, I initially was doing the categories but have too much stuff and I wanted it all downloaded. I don't depend on using DIM, I could lose internet service due to storms, network issues, whatever, so I have everything already in the studio. (4.8) 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:
    Kharma said:

I downloaded all mine, I initially was doing the categories but have too much stuff and I wanted it all downloaded. I don't depend on using DIM, I could lose internet service due to storms, network issues, whatever, so I have everything already in the studio. (4.8) 

You can install stuff you downloaded already with DIM without being online.

edited March 2016

Right- what I was referring to was I needed DIM to do the downloading. smiley  (Sorry, wasn't clear.)  It's fast and easy, couldn't live without it. I remember when it was manual (then Toyen had a great tool.) The newbies missed the fun of all that manual installation- and the limited number of downloads (three.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

I've been downloading items every night but my ethernet connection seems kinda slow or it's slow d/l with DIM because the x99-A motherboard I bought was supposed to have a super fast ethernet connection but I guess it all depends on your provider and connection. I am just starting with G3 and working my way back

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Kharma said:

I've been downloading items every night but my ethernet connection seems kinda slow or it's slow d/l with DIM because the x99-A motherboard I bought was supposed to have a super fast ethernet connection but I guess it all depends on your provider and connection. I am just starting with G3 and working my way back

It could be the Daz server that is slow.

Kharma said:

Did you happen to see the posts I did about the modem and router? Those two things made a big difference on the upload/download speed. The router we got was for the ultimate gamers (my sons win money in tournaments, so it was a good investment.) But yeah, if your provider/plan isn't for ultimate speeds, it won't do much good. 

Last month, when I was reading about someone's ridiculously slow download abilities, I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if there were a program where Daz could verify the person owned it,  or they could verify it with order screenshots, and those of us who also own it could download it for them and send to them somehow?"  Like put on a CD/DVR whatever, they prepay for Priority Mail for U.S. as a disc would fit in that and no one would have to figure postage, it's set. Haven't thought about email, suppose that would work? 

I have 999 GB a month download abilities, and ultra speedy downloads. I usually have bandwidth left over each month. (and would only assist near the end of the month, bandwidth available.) I'm not buying much anymore except sets/props- love FirstBastion's highway, the bowling alley, laundrymats, everyday places- but certainly could assist people with a great majority of products (you don't want to know how many.)  

Daz would have to set up the approved providers, so to speak, and verify ownership or give the okay for screenshots of the completed Orders to be shown to the providers of the service. Those would work, yes, people could have returned the product but people who aren't honest would have already downloaded them anyway. It would be great to help others who can't get or have fast download speeds.  That was just my thought when I kept reading about the extreme differences in artists' abilities to get to their content they've bought. 

Or Daz could set up a program doing the mailable CD/DVR thing. It sure would be a better program than the 3D printables. Someone mentioned it was off the Technology page, seems to have disappeared? Are they still doing it? I would think this "Download Assistance" program would be much better received, with trusted providers who always require proof before providing the files. Providers can opt out at any time in the month if their bandwidth is overrun or this can be done at the end of every month so it's known what is available. Not that hard.

I wouldn't be much help with G3F, don't need anymore as I'm using G2Fs for the book (with converted Genesis and V4's)  Can't wait for Stonemason's next two sets, talk about WOW! (thread in Commons)

edited March 2016

I just checked and this month I have used 39% (61% LEFT) with only 394.2GB used. I downloaded all my products onto the new computer when I got it, and not installing / buying that much recently. There's only SIX DAYS left this month, so 600 GIGABYTES or so not being used. That's a lot of downloads to help someone with. The Nov 28 to Dec 27 was 473 GB out of 999, and Dec/Jan and Jan/Feb were high but still had 300GB each month available. There's other people out there who probably also have some GB left over (we need it due to gaming tournaments and the deal offered at the time. We decided as a household since we stay home 95% of the time for entertainment, it was the best thing to do.)  

Post edited by Novica on
    barbult said:

It could be the Daz server that is slow.

I've noticed quite a bit of lag when trying to view the store too.

edited March 2016

As you may have noticed, I tend to buy more environments than characters. Here's one of my most recent additions: Harpsburg for Daz Studio. My first reaction was "oh, no" as it appeared to be another set so big and detailed you can't position the camera without serious lag. I played around a bit and found the following settings make it fast to position while still being able to see what things look like (unlike bounding boxes) - smooth shaded draw style with Edit-Preferences-Interface Tab-Display Optimization = Best. I noticed the lag was greater at street level, faster if you're moving up in the rooftops (not sure why that is, may be the details at street level slows it down).

The set comes with Iray and 3DL materials. All three renders below are Iray. I used the Modern Museum Iray skydome as I like how well it works. I found the light in the second render was too bright so I had to back down Film ISO to 35 and up shutter speed to 375. That's because the Modern Museum skydome is quite bright. The foliage turned out a bit bright too compared to the buildings. I need to play around with the material settings to see if I can tone them down.

I like this set. Lots of details at street level for scenes: cafe tables, curbs that have curves rather than straight runs, flowers in many locations, leaves in the gutter, manhole covers in the street. Makes me want to visit in real life.

Harpsburg 01.jpg
    640 x 800 - 666K
    Harpsburg 02.jpg
    640 x 800 - 814K
    Harpsburg 03.jpg
    640 x 800 - 713K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

My internet is relatlively fast.  Its all loaded now except for the 3 or 4 freebie connect items I have. Will do those last.  Working on the categories now.  I can't work with smart content at all. And the rest of it is so non intuitive I need to have the custom categories or I will go bat ***t crazy.  And I won't start loading the freebies again until the stuff from Daz is done. 

Novica I could probably contribute a ton of stuff from V4 and M4 up through Gen 2.  I joined right at the beginning of September and hit both the PA and the PC sale so I pretty much made out like a bandit those first two months lol.

This discussion has been closed.