NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040
    jakiblue said:

it's not "straight" if you get what i mean.  See how it all 'bends' behind her?

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

Barbult, in your post over there you said:

These appear to be slightly higher resolution versions of the HDRI files that were given away in the December holiday giveaway. I didn't have very good luck with the free ones. The lighting seemed surprisingly dark to me. I used a table and chair set from the I13 Iray Coffee Shop and Michael 7, with the latest Iray materials, rendered in the latest DS Beta 4.9.1.30. Even when M7 was moved into the bright area of the scene, he was dark. That looked weird.

Here are some examples that I rendered with the free ones.

and that's what I am encountering with them too. The figure looks extremely dark in every single one, no difference. Also, the room one....in mine, the room looks skewed towards the middle, not normal such as yours does. 

barbult said:

Here is the other thread I mentioned about the HDRI images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72882/3-high-resolution-hdri-set-1-where-are-they

Can you show an example. I can't picture "skewed toward the middle".

That happens with a few HDRI when used as a backdrop. It has something to do with the ground plane I think. I have fixed it on a few renders I have done but each one is different :) If I remember changing the Ground Plane multiplier helps as does turning the ground off. I can't look ATM as I have a long render, 19 hours and 90%, running.

edited March 2016

Who's coming to dinner?

He wont eat much laugh

Click on image for full size.

mog-ruith-dinner-006.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 752K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited March 2016
    jakiblue said:

it's not "straight" if you get what i mean.  See how it all 'bends' behind her?

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

Barbult, in your post over there you said:

These appear to be slightly higher resolution versions of the HDRI files that were given away in the December holiday giveaway. I didn't have very good luck with the free ones. The lighting seemed surprisingly dark to me. I used a table and chair set from the I13 Iray Coffee Shop and Michael 7, with the latest Iray materials, rendered in the latest DS Beta 4.9.1.30. Even when M7 was moved into the bright area of the scene, he was dark. That looked weird.

Here are some examples that I rendered with the free ones.

and that's what I am encountering with them too. The figure looks extremely dark in every single one, no difference. Also, the room one....in mine, the room looks skewed towards the middle, not normal such as yours does. 

barbult said:

Here is the other thread I mentioned about the HDRI images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72882/3-high-resolution-hdri-set-1-where-are-they

Can you show an example. I can't picture "skewed toward the middle".

Be sure you have selected "Infinite Sphere" in the Dome Mode. I'm guessing you selected "Infinite Sphere w/ Ground" by mistake..

Post edited by barbult on
    edited March 2016

Edit: Updated after Daz fixed some of the bugs March 8, 2016.

I'd like to showcase Uniform Dress for Genesis 3 Female(s) by Dogz. Dogz is one of my favorite vendors in the Daz store.

Rating: Recommended with Reservations (Highly Recommended after Daz fixed the worst bugs).

The modeling is top notch and there are lots of included textures and morphs. I noticed that when I pose G3F legs, the pleats in the dress open or close automatically to match the leg pose!!! I've never seen that before and I am very impressed. It supports several Daz Original character shapes and even the Growing Up Youth morph. But the "with Reservations" part of my rating comes from the Iray surface settings errors (in my opinion) and metadata errors that detract from this product. I have attached some annotated renders to show off some of the features and problems with the Uniform Dress product. I tested only Iray materials. The product loads with 3Delight materials by default, but I did not render any 3Delight images.

These are the bugs I reported:

1. Poses>By Function>Grasp has two icons for Right Hand Grip Duster.duf. What is the difference? When the Duster is selected in the Scene pane, both Right Hand Grip Duster poses show up in Smart Content as being compatible with the Duster, but only one works. The other displays an error message when it is applied. What is wrong? Is one of the poses supposed to be compatible with G3F instead of the duster? Both poses seem to work now when applied to the duster, but Daz did not answer the question about what the difference is. Both poses seem to do the same thing.
    2. Utilities>Visibility has two icons for each action. I assume one is for Iray and one for 3Delight, but there is no way for a user to distinguish which is which. Fixed by moving the icons into the Materials category and subcategory of Iray or 3Delight.
    3. Nurse ID Badge.duf is in Lost and Found. Fixed.
    4. When Maid Head Band is selected in the Scene pane, Smart Content>Materials, Files, Filter by Context checked, shows only 3Delight materials. Iray material is not shown. Instead, the Iray material for Maid Head Band is shown as compatible with Name Badge. Fixed.
    5. Iray material icons have no text or symbol to distinguish them from 3Delight materials. This makes selecting them from the Content Library Product display difficult. Not changed. If you don't use Smart Content and prefer to use the Content Library>Products view, you will have a hard time. 
    6. All 4 surfaces of the Socks Iray materials use very high SubD Displacement Level (value of 4). High surface SubD Displacement like this is very resource intensive in Iray. It seems unwarranted for a pair of socks that are unlikely to be the center of focus of a render of this product and may even be half covered by the shoes. Not changed. Workaround if displacement is causing too much system load: Just turn off displacement in the sock materials when using the Iray materials. I don't think you get any value from it in a normal render.
    7. Nurses cap Iray materials render very gray, not white as shown in the promo images. I noticed that the base color is set to a pretty dark gray. Why? Not changed. Workaround: Change the Base Color to a lighter value, like the value used for the white dress.
    8. The white socks render yellowish and splotchy, not white as shown in the promo images. The gray socks Iray material also renders splotchy. I think the splotchy issue is caused by a bad UV map. UV map was fixed. Color is unchanged. In other lighting I guess it looks OK, so I won't worry about it. My lighting was probably mostly to blame for the yellowish tint.
    9. The socks also have a poke through problem sometimes. You can even see it in the store promos. Not fixed. Workaround: hide the character's feet and toes and/or use the FBMExpandAll morph on the socks. Turning off displacement may also help.

I have not updated these renders. They represent the product before the bug fixes. The only significant difference would be the socks, which now look like socks with ribbing at the top and not all splotchy anymore. The comments about metadata errors for the duster gasp pose and missing headband material no longer appy. Metadata was fixed.

Uniform Dress Bethany SeatedUniform Dress G3F SeatedUniform Dress MaidUniform Dress Growing Up

Uniform Dress Bethany Sitting Coffe Shop Annotated.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    Uniform Dress G3F Growing Up 3 Girls Annotated.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Uniform Dress G3F Maid Dancing Duster Annotated.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 2M
    Uniform Dress Nurse Sitting Coffe Shop Annotated.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited March 2016

Barbult, I really liked your detailed product review with images and captions. You are really good at testing! (I've seen your feedback on many threads)  Daz vendors should hire you for their final quality check and those that do get to put your logo on their product page.

By the way, Dogz's Superdress is in Fast Grab today.

...has two icons for each action

This is a common problem I see with Smart Content (Daz 4.8, I'm not on 4.9) for poses, props, materials, shaders, wardrobes, and more. Products that cover two generations (e.g., G2F and G3F) will have identical named icons and you have to guess which applies. I usually overcome by clicking over to Content Library and seeing what folder it is in, but it destroys some of the value of Smart Content. I don't know if it's Daz not enforcing standards, not having standards, wrong metadata, or metadata not being read correctly by DS.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    RGcincy said:

Barbult, I really liked your detailed product review with images and captions. You are really good at testing! (I've seen your feedback on many threads)  Daz vendors should hire you for their final quality check and those that do get to put your logo on their product page.

This is a common problem I see with Smart Content (Daz 4.8, I'm not on 4.9) for poses, props, materials, shaders, wardrobes, and more. Products that cover two generations (e.g., G2F and G3F) will have identical named icons and you have to guess which applies. I usually overcome by clicking over to Content Library and seeing what folder it is in, but it destroys some of the value of Smart Content. I don't know if it's Daz not enforcing standards, not having standards, wrong metadata, or metadata not being read correctly by DS.

The Connect installs and  metadata issue is a problem, I am about ready to give it up and just use DIM until it is fixed properly.  I used connect to load Helena's tomb last nite to follow the tutorial for Reality but got lots of errors saying Reality couldn't find the textures for it and the render was just gray and fuzzy, when I uninstalled the Connect version and installed both DS and StudioCF files with DIM it worked perfect.  The whole Smart content/Connect Feature was released before it was ready in my opinion, but once all the bugs are worked out I think it will be great.

That is a great review on that outfit barbult, the way the pleats work along with the pose is fantastic. If the issues get fixed I may consider it, not as a uniform persay, but as a play dress for children as I think it would work for that purpose.

RGcincy said:

I didn't know SuperDress was in Fast Grab. I have it, so it didn't show for me. It is a good product, too.

Yes, lack of icon differentiation is a real annoyance for me, too. In one bug report response, customer service told me to click on the icon and look in the Info tab to see if it was Iray or 3Delight. I responded that expecting a customer to randomly select one of the icons and look in a whole different pane to parse a file pathname to see if the word "Iray" appeared in the pathname, was a poor user interface. I haven't heard back. I don't know where the failing is either. Some products differentiate with icon text or symbol overlays and/or different filenames. Some do neither. I wonder, like you do, if there is no standard or no enforcement. Either way, Daz is underming their Smart Content (which is a WONDERFUL concept and works GREAT when metadata is correct) by releasing products with bad metadata and confusing icons. It irks me to see new products still coming out with these issues. I just don't see how they can pass QA testing that way.

Kharma said:
    RGcincy said:

The Connect installs and  metadata issue is a problem, I am about ready to give it up and just use DIM until it is fixed properly.  I used connect to load Helena's tomb last nite to follow the tutorial for Reality but got lots of errors saying Reality couldn't find the textures for it and the render was just gray and fuzzy, when I uninstalled the Connect version and installed both DS and StudioCF files with DIM it worked perfect.  The whole Smart content/Connect Feature was released before it was ready in my opinion, but once all the bugs are worked out I think it will be great.

That is a great review on that outfit barbult, the way the pleats work along with the pose is fantastic. If the issues get fixed I may consider it, not as a uniform persay, but as a play dress for children as I think it would work for that purpose.

Uniform Dress is a very versitile dress. If you know the problems, you can work around most of them. That is why I posted the details of the problems in the forum as well as writing a bug report.

The release of DS 4.9 did seem premature. I know that not all the bugs I reported during the Beta phase were fixed before release. Perhaps the release date was marketing driven. Perhaps the pool of Beta testers giving feedback was not large enough for Daz to realize the extent of the problems until there were thousands of irate customers complaining loudly. Daz has released several more Betas since the ill fated 4.9 release, and each one has been better than the previous. I believe they will get most problems straightened out eventually and I really believe they are trying hard to do so. It is sad that so much goodwill was lost because of the 4.9 release problems.

Please write bug reports about the problems you find, like the product that didn't work when installed with Daz Connect. We all need to work together to make Daz aware of these issues. I write several bug reports per week, but I only own a tiny fraction of the store catalog.

edited March 2016

A render using one of Horo's free HDRIs, Fork, given away at Christmas.

horo-hdri-test-002.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 1M
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649

Thanks, Novica. Glad to share. That was wonderful that you tried again to find the children who lost their bunnies. It is (and will be) a comfort to people when others care enough to connect in some way when there is such a tragedy.

Barbult, I love your review. I love Dogz's clothes too. Hopefully the bugs will get fixed in time. smiley

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Does anyone have this: http://www.daz3d.com/iray-smart-converter-and-advanced-skin-managers-for-genesis-2 or has a review been done of this previously?

jakiblue said:

Does anyone have this: http://www.daz3d.com/iray-smart-converter-and-advanced-skin-managers-for-genesis-2 or has a review been done of this previously?

I have it. I bought all generations of this product after trying the Genesis 2 version. I was very pleased with it.

fairly easy to use, or steep learning curve? Makes Genesis 2 look great in iray? 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

I have it. I bought all generations of this product after trying the Genesis 2 version. I was very pleased with it.

jakiblue said:

fairly easy to use, or steep learning curve? Makes Genesis 2 look great in iray? 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

The PA made a video about how to use it. You can find that and a couple of my renders using it in her commercial thread. I was blown away by what I could achieve in a few clicks. It is pretty straight forward. It is fast to use, if you have the horsepower to preview the Iray render in the viewport or Aux viewport. You need that to see feedback of what the settings are doing, so you can try various settings and see which you prefer. Skin textures vary dramatically, so a setting that works for one may not be the best for another. This product gives you options.

At Christmas time a different PA gave away some Iray settings for most of the Genesis 2 Daz Original characters. I didn't like those settings at all. I much prefer the results from the V3Digitimes product.

Thanks Barbult!

I had a quick skim through the vid - gotta wait till hubby stops downloading the update for the new xbox game he got today to watch it properly :)

Two quick questions tho - do you have to select all G2's surfaces in teh surface tab also? Or just select the figure in the Scene tab like normal?

Also, what is this "aux viewport"?? I noticed in the video that it was rendering every time she made a change.... 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

The PA made a video about how to use it. You can find that and a couple of my renders using it in her commercial thread. I was blown away by what I could achieve in a few clicks. It is pretty straight forward. It is fast to use, if you have the horsepower to preview the Iray render in the viewport or Aux viewport. You need that to see feedback of what the settings are doing, so you can try various settings and see which you prefer. Skin textures vary dramatically, so a setting that works for one may not be the best for another. This product gives you options.

At Christmas time a different PA gave away some Iray settings for most of the Genesis 2 Daz Original characters. I didn't like those settings at all. I much prefer the results from the V3Digitimes product.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited March 2016
    Novica said:

Regarding M3D Jesse HD for Genesis 3 Males, two people have mentioned the shape of the buttocks is different in shape than the characters they own, and the promo does show that very well in the last thumbnail,  and the others where Jesse is turned. Everyone doesn't have the same body shape, this figure gives you an option of the more stocky build, the hiney is definitely different, so you'll have to see if this appeals to you or not. I like vendors who give us versatility, just pointing out this may or may not be the "norm" for you.

If found this comment curious, considering that this body shape is based on an actual shorter body builder reference rather than the heroic shapes of the genesis 3 pool, which are taller and have no glute development whatsoever, so basically they are working out and ignoring their leg/thigh development if this was a real shape. (this area supports your upper body so you have to work it out) So it does pay to actually get anatomy references to see the differences in body shapes for different bodyshapes. Also genesis 3 makes the different shapes possible as i don't have to follow muscle flow of the base figure as there are none in genesis 3 where in genesis 2 going outside that warped the clothing. As a result different shapes can be added and mixed to the gene pool. Also if you don't like the degree of the shapes, once again: use the dials to add in, reduce and mix with other genesis shapes... that's what they are there for.

Edit: also I get more compliments on the glutes that what is currently offered in the genesis men ;)

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    jakiblue said:

Thanks Barbult!

I had a quick skim through the vid - gotta wait till hubby stops downloading the update for the new xbox game he got today to watch it properly :)

Two quick questions tho - do you have to select all G2's surfaces in teh surface tab also? Or just select the figure in the Scene tab like normal?

Also, what is this "aux viewport"?? I noticed in the video that it was rendering every time she made a change.... 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

You don't have to select the surfaces. The Aux Viewport is a separate pane. It is a second viewport throught which you can view the scene with a different camera and a different rendering style. If you set Aux Viewport or the main Viewport to the Iray render type, it will render and rerender each time you make a change. This is how you see in real time what your changes are doing.

Thank you! I have my viewport on the second monitor, and I finally found the "iray render" draw style type thingy (found it mentioned in another thread). It works surprisingly well adn doesn't bog down my system (although I only had one figure in the scene, so that may be it). However I cannot figure out how to stop it or save it. It doesn't render to a new window like my normal rendering does..... 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

Thanks Barbult!

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

You don't have to select the surfaces. The Aux Viewport is a separate pane. It is a second viewport throught which you can view the scene with a different camera and a different rendering style. If you set Aux Viewport or the main Viewport to the Iray render type, it will render and rerender each time you make a change. This is how you see in real time what your changes are doing.

jakiblue said:

Thank you! I have my viewport on the second monitor, and I finally found the "iray render" draw style type thingy (found it mentioned in another thread). It works surprisingly well adn doesn't bog down my system (although I only had one figure in the scene, so that may be it). However I cannot figure out how to stop it or save it. It doesn't render to a new window like my normal rendering does..... 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

Thanks Barbult!

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

You stop it by changing to Texture Shaded or another non Iray mode. I don't think you can save it. It is just another way of viewing the viewport.
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Yep, I totally agree we need different bodyshapes, and adding to the gene pool is a good thing! That's why I said I like versatility.

Fishtales- love the floating head- eerily and nicely done!  And yes, I noticed the person in the background looking toward the door- nice touch! 

Barbult- awesome review and I like the visuals which reinforces the detailed explanations.

And yes, I mentioned the Iray skin converters and you'll see where I mention I used the V3Digitimes Iray skin. I normally used the Surface section because if the eyes looked good, I didn't want to mess with them, so I'd do everything then save the scene, THEN do the eyes. 

BTW, back to the bunny neighborhood this afternoon (trying different times of the day) and the home really has been deserted for now, there were no contractors there working. Went around the corner and saw the house split exactly in two, with one half decimated and blown out, the other half not touched on the inside- where the woman was huddled, completely without harm, during the tornado. Miracles happen!

edited March 2016

If you get a chance, would you please vote for the entries in the Because I Said So! Contest. Voting is confidential, your contact information is not stored/used (I used SurveyMonkey for years when I owned my own business and queried the customers on what promotions/sales/products they'd like.) TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO VOTE.

And this month, we're doing something different. Artist render a FUNNY image, and we all supply the captions! So if you'd like to do that, keep an eye on that thread. There is a link on that page which will send you to the thread to suggest your caption (do NOT put it in the Entries thread where the images are located.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Trying out some rando free HDRIs which I have accumulated over time. I think most from the sIBL site.

Harbour2 this is called.

HDR 110 Tunnel

hdri-test-001.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 505K
    hdri-test-002.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 619K
    edited March 2016

Next two.

River Road 2

City Night Lights

hdri-test-003.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 739K
    hdri-test-004.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 670K
    Do you have extra lights in your HDRI renders? The River Road HDRI looks very overcast and yet you have a very sharp shadow cast from the car that seems incongruous with the HDRI background.

They all have the same distant light set in the direction of the sun.

Fishtales said:

They all have the same distant light set in the direction of the sun.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

Fishtales, can't remember if you were on the thread where someone posted several of the HDRI sites, but in case anyone was interested, the person posting said they were reasonably priced, and gave quite decent results. (I haven't tried them, and be sure to read if they are for commercial and/or non-commercial use) 

Noemotion, Aversis (may be only non-commercial), Open Footage, HDRI Haven, 3dOcean. Anyone have experience with these, or any others, feel free to discuss! (Fishtales, are any of yours from those sites?)

The harbour one I got from here.

http://www.dutch360hdr.com/shop/?product_cat=free-360-hdri

I think the rest are from here.

http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

I also have some from other sites which are probably on the free list that was posted previously. I know I recognised some of the addresses as I glanced through it.

edited March 2016
    Novica said:

Fishtales, can't remember if you were on the thread where someone posted several of the HDRI sites, but in case anyone was interested, the person posting said they were reasonably priced, and gave quite decent results. (I haven't tried them, and be sure to read if they are for commercial and/or non-commercial use) 

Noemotion, Aversis (may be only non-commercial), Open Footage, HDRI Haven, 3dOcean. Anyone have experience with these, or any others, feel free to discuss! (Fishtales, are any of yours from those sites?)

Aversis is good. (I have only free ones and they are all non-commercial only.)

HDRI Haven is good. I have free ones and one purchased one.  Very high resolution images are available. The ones I have produce very defined and crisp shadows. Purchased HDRIs, like the one I used in the Uniform Dress review, are royalty free and have no attribution requirement.

NoEmotion is mixed. I have only free ones. I have good luck with Park C and Park D. The lighting is subtle without hard shadows. Commercial use (with attribution) is permitted for the ones I use.

A couple points to remember:

1) Attribution and license link is generally required for free HDRI images. That means when you post an image in the forum or gallery that uses one of the HDRI images, you must follow their requirements to link to the vendor and Creative Commons license that is applicable. People are generally not doing that.  I'd hate to see sites stop making them available, because people violate the terms. If you purchase an HDRI, it often comes with rights to use it without  attribution, because you have paid for that right. Check the EULA!

2) Entering a contest in which you could win a prize, is considered "commercial use", according to what I've read. So, if entering the contests here in the forum, be sure to use only HDRIs which allow commercial use.

Edited to add: Even PAs make mistakes in HDRI usage rights. I reported to DAZ when I saw a product's promo images (commercial use for sure) using HDRIs licensed for non-commercial use only. The promos were subsequently changed.

And if you see me making this kind of mistake in my forum posts, tell me!

edited March 2016

A few more.

The first three have the distant light turned off. I turned it on in the last one as it looked as if the car was floating so it needed some shadow below it to ground it.

Click on image for full size

hdri-test-005.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 733K
    hdri-test-006.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 393K
    hdri-test-007.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 470K
    hdri-test-008.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 456K